Injury Report: Bryan Little

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Based on the mechanism of injury and the news report, I think he has a cerebral contusion, basically a bruise in the brain.

That intracranial injury would be a separate issue from the laceration to the scalp and/or external ear, which required stitches (it’s not important to count the number of stitches exactly, so the estimated number is no surprise), and the ruptured ear drum.

Little wouldn’t likely have been kept in hospital unless there was intracranial bleeding (the contusion I’m suspecting he has). A scalp injury and ruptured eardrum wouldn’t require observation.
Thanks.

Prognosis and time-frame for recovery?

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Yes, I wondered whether the timing of his release from hospital had any bearing on speculative prognosis.

Oh I see.

Yeah a patient with a small traumatic cerebral contusion without altered mental status (coma, drowsiness, confusion), focal neurological deficits (weakness, numbness, etc) or seizures would typically be observed in hospital for 24-48 hours, then released if all continues to go well.

So Little being released after a day or two fits with that diagnosis.

Prognosis should be good for eventual recovery but that’s hard to say without knowing what his symptoms are.

Still think his earliest realistic return to play would be a couple of months away, and maybe considerably longer. A lot will depend on his symptoms as time goes on, and whether he’s able to return to non contact activity without aggravating his condition.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Was it ever confirmed he has another concussion? I would assume he does, just curious if it was ever stated outright.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Was it ever confirmed he has another concussion? I would assume he does, just curious if it was ever stated outright.

There isn't a clear distinction between concussion and traumatic injuries that cause clear structural damage to the brain tissue such as contusions. There was a historical distinction between concussion ("commotio cerebri") and more obvious structural brain trauma ("contusio cerebri"), but these days, concussion is usually placed on the same spectrum (though at the mildest end) as more severe traumatic brain injuries.

Little's injury would be evaluated both in terms of obvious structural damage (seen on CT/MRI) and his clinical syndrome or symptoms. If he was alert after the injury (he seemed to be), was not amnestic for too long before or after the injury (can't assess that from home), and didn't have any obvious neurological deficits (such as weakness or vision loss -- can't assess that from home, but the fact that he skated off under his own power is promising), his injury would probably be classed as a mild TBI.

It would be considered more severe than a concussion, given the obvious injury to the brain from the contusion, even if he wasn't knocked out -- concussions often don't involve a true loss of consciousness).

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
There isn't a clear distinction between concussion and traumatic injuries that cause clear structural damage to the brain tissue such as contusions. There was a historical distinction between concussion ("commotio cerebri") and more obvious structural brain trauma ("contusio cerebri"), but these days, concussion is usually placed on the same spectrum (though at the mildest end) as more severe traumatic brain injuries.

Little's injury would be evaluated both in terms of obvious structural damage (seen on CT/MRI) and his clinical syndrome or symptoms. If he was alert after the injury (he seemed to be), was not amnestic for too long before or after the injury (can't assess that from home), and didn't have any obvious neurological deficits (such as weakness or vision loss -- can't assess that from home, but the fact that he skated off under his own power is promising), his injury would probably be classed as a mild TBI.

It would be considered more severe than a concussion, given the obvious injury to the brain from the contusion, even if he wasn't knocked out -- concussions often don't involve a true loss of consciousness).
Thanks for the wonderful explanations...much much better than the rest of us “arm chair neurologists”!

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I haven’t heard any confirmed news of any concussion.
I think it was more a worry at first, due to his concussion history, that he might suffer another one from this, but as the news of the actual injury came out, the concussion talk was dropped.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
as the news of the actual injury came out, the concussion talk was dropped.

Right, because concussion by definition is neurological symptoms produced by physical forces on the brain without obvious structural damage to the brain tissue such as a brain bleed (contusion).

Little reportedly has a contusion. So concussion would be the wrong diagnosis in his case.

But that's not good news (his head injury was mild enough that he didn't have a concussion), it's bad news (his head injury was more severe than a concussion and caused bleeding in the brain).

Reactions: abax44 and BatVader

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Right, because concussion by definition is neurological symptoms produced by physical forces on the brain without obvious structural damage to the brain tissue such as a brain bleed (contusion).

Little reportedly has a contusion. So concussion would be the wrong diagnosis in his case.

But that's not good news (his head injury was mild enough that he didn't have a concussion), it's bad news (his head injury was more severe than a concussion and caused bleeding in the brain).

Interesting. Cool to have a professional's explanation here. Thanks.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005

Interesting. I do remember the Jets saying the next day it was worse than a concussion, but I took it to mean a concussion + insert injury here.

Thanks again for the break down.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If I had saved enough, I would be done if I were him. I know these guys love to play the game, but after what he has been through? I don't think I could come back.
It's easy to think that way, but for hockey players (and I don't want to speak for Litts specifically) this is a passion, a way of life. It's almost like stopping having sex, or eating food with flavor.

I've had some pretty gruesome injuries from hockey (I almost died when I took a clear in square off my larynx) and being a radio DJ at the time that also put my career in jeopardy. The doctors had to convince me not to play for 6 months (I started playing again in 2)

I can't imagine my life without hockey, and I'd bet Bryan feels the same.

I sure hope this is mostly precautionary and the contusion is small. Bryan Little is probably my favorite Jet, because he is the epitome of a team first, classy guy. A guy who used to score 30 on the wing but sacrificed that to do more important work for the team.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Hole in the ear drum. Would definitely mess with equilibrium which is kinda important for balance - something a hockey player really needs. :/

My son was trying out for PeeWee AAA and fell as soon as he got on the ice. Couldn’t make/take a pass and his skating was way off as he is usually a smooth and powerful skater. We chalked it up to nerves of the tryout but later that night came into our room complaining about his ears. Turns out he had an ear infection in both ears. It really messes with your equilibrium and focus. He didn’t make the team which saved us some money, so that’s good

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Winnipeg Jets’ Bryan Little progressing with head injury, Nathan Beaulieu out at least a week

It’s been three weeks since he suffered a brain bleed and a perforated ear drum when he was hit by a shot from Nikolaj Ehlers on the side of the head.

“He’s feeling better, I’ll tell you that,” head coach Paul Maurice told reporters after practice.

“The dizziness has come down. He is making progress, but it’s just going to take some time before everything heals inside, and he can decide where he wants to go with it.”

Reactions: JetsUK and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Winnipeg Jets’ Bryan Little progressing with head injury, Nathan Beaulieu out at least a week

It’s been three weeks since he suffered a brain bleed and a perforated ear drum when he was hit by a shot from Nikolaj Ehlers on the side of the head.

“He’s feeling better, I’ll tell you that,” head coach Paul Maurice told reporters after practice.

“The dizziness has come down. He is making progress, but it’s just going to take some time before everything heals inside, and he can decide where he wants to go with it.”
That kind of sounds like Maurice wouldn't be surprised if Little stopped playing , i hope not but i would totally understand if Little did stop playing . :(

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
That kind of sounds like Maurice wouldn't be surprised if Little stopped playing , i hope not but i would totally understand if Little did stop playing . :(
Yes makes me wonder if anything has been said or if Maurice like many of us is thinking Little’s injury history may lead to that conclusion based on the severity of his various head and neck injuries.
I thought that immediately after he was struck by Ehlers shot , the way he grabbed his head made me cringe.

Reactions: Jets 31

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm going to assume he "wants" to come back - he strikes me as that kind of player.
Let's hope he can safely come back to the game - I like his game and I like his attitude.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I wish him a speedy recovery and glad to hear that there is some positive progression.

At what point in time can he go on LTIR and free up some CAP space if a return is not in the cards?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wish him a speedy recovery and glad to hear that there is some positive progression.

At what point in time can he go on LTIR and free up some CAP space if a return is not in the cards?

He can't free up any cap space until we spend over the cap. So when Buff comes back. :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad