Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Mitchell Miller to ELC

Bruins sign Mitchell Miller to ELC

• Never going to cheer or be a fan of Mitchell.

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • I'm ashamed to be a bruin fan today / what was Management thinking?

Votes: 84 36.4%
  • High Risk High Reward - I believe in redemption / 2nd chances / bruin organization will help him.

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • I want to puke.

Votes: 44 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I think they’ll get tired of having to answer the questions that have nothing to do with them.

You know they’ll be assaulted with this bullshit in Toronto.

If I was Marchy I would say” how the f*** do I know why. Ask Sweeney”.
Yeah I guess they will.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Why? I really don't understand.

That said, I don't know this human on a personal level. I've worked with individuals who have had a similar "history". Some even worse. I do think he should be given a chance to prove himself worthy of being among us. It's not always cut and dry..... especially at that age. This signing makes it seem as though there are no consequences IMO. Not a good look. I'm more upset at Bruins management than I am with the player honestly. A form of enabling.

Reactions: Barnum

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site

Yes ticket holders can not enter arena, write letters (I wrote several), make banners, boycott in any number of ways. I sat outside Giants stadium as a kid as grandpa burned our tickets in mass protests of mngt. VERY different circumstances.

I again pray they rescind the contract. I'm firm in that position.

AND, I have questions. Likely they don't matter, but there are some nuances. How is "disabled youth" in this case defined? I've evaluated thousands of students. Some "learning disabled" students I know well, went to Cornell, lettered in sports, were dyslexic and required Wilson or Orton reading as a young person and accommodations in high school.

AND "disabled" students in regular schools who required toileting support, communication boards, and teams of related service providers.

Both "disabled" extremes here, and all the nuances in between do matter somewhat if we're interested in truly understanding. What interventions were tried? How did this progress so long? Who was advocating for the victim/survivor? What were the consequences over the years for the perp? Can someone provide me with more concrete information?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
For me, playing professional sports is a privilege, not a right. You get paid a ton of money to play a literal game for a living then there should be a code of conduct for your past, current and future actions.

This wasn't just kids bullying kids that happens in normal schools. This was beyond over the top and disgusting. I don't know what kind of schools everyone here went to but the ones I went to people never f***ed around with the kids in special education because even the vast majority of kids have empathy for those with special needs.

36 pages in not even 24 hours shows how controversial this move was and simply not worth it.

This guy ain't worth the headache to have on anyone's team, if he actually ever makes it to the NHL he's going to get booed around the league and constantly have a negative spotlight on him and his team. Why invite this mess when you don't need too.

Also good lord this douche bag has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What gets me is we know Papa and Mama Jacobs have broomed players out of town over character issues.

Sean Gentille in The Athletic unloaded on Sweeney

That brings us to Sweeney, who followed up Boston’s P.R. release with a media conference call that was, at its best, disorienting. He didn’t speak to Meyer-Crothers, he said, and neither had anyone with the organization. They were involved with Miller reaching out, Sweeney said, and that doing so was “imperative.” The abuser reaching out because his prospective employer forced him, it seems, was good enough. How Meyer-Crothers felt about Miller’s DM — whether he actually believed it to be an apology, or how he felt that it did, in fact, have something “to do with hockey” — doesn’t seem to have been quite as important. If it had been, the Bruins would’ve called the family themselves.

Sweeney said, more than once, that the move may not be worth it. He said that the Bruins took Miller off their draft board in 2020. He said some of the leaders on his roster asked why Miller was signed at all. He said that he wasn’t sure he’d be able to forgive Miller, had Meyers-Crother been his son. He said a lot of stuff, really, and most of it was bad. When in doubt, he seemed to reference the fact that, gee whiz, Miller was a 14-year-old that did something terrible, rather than a 20-year-old who’d only made half-hearted attempts at contrition while he grasped at the brass ring.

He also said, in effect, that if other teams were willing to sign Miller, the Bruins should’ve been, too. Other organizations were willing to show their moral bankruptcy. Why not us? He almost had 40 goals as a defenseman. What are we supposed to do, not sign the USHL player of the year?

Simple math, that. It isn’t the justification that Sweeney seems to think it is — but it is a helpful, sad reminder of the business we’re dealing with; pro sports is an immoral enterprise, and hockey does a worse job of hiding that than its peers. Friday was the latest in an endless series of mask-off moments that show how the folks in charge move when they think nobody is looking. The one thing you can’t say is that you haven’t been told.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
This is f***ing pathetic. I'm embarrassed to be a fan of this team today.

He has never actually apologized to this innocent kid. A court-mandated one is the closest Miller has ever come to anything resembling actual contrition. How can we accept you've grown up when you haven't done anything to show you have? Or that you're a better person than you once were?

f*** him, f*** his family, f*** Don Sweeney, f*** Cam Neely, f*** the Jacobs family, and f*** everyone who let this happen.
Agree 100% . The main point as many have pointed out is that he has shown zero remorse. How can management not see and acknowledge this simple and obvious fact. I can forgive a lot of things if someone really shows they are sorry for what they have done. Miller has had years to make amends on top of the years he spent relishing in his dominance over an intellectually disabled minority. F**k all Boston management and anyone else who likes this move. It is simply indefensible.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
What gets me is we know Papa and Mama Jacobs have broomed players out of town over character issues.

Sean Gentille in The Athletic unloaded on Sweeney

That brings us to Sweeney, who followed up Boston’s P.R. release with a media conference call that was, at its best, disorienting. He didn’t speak to Meyer-Crothers, he said, and neither had anyone with the organization. They were involved with Miller reaching out, Sweeney said, and that doing so was “imperative.” The abuser reaching out because his prospective employer forced him, it seems, was good enough. How Meyer-Crothers felt about Miller’s DM — whether he actually believed it to be an apology, or how he felt that it did, in fact, have something “to do with hockey” — doesn’t seem to have been quite as important. If it had been, the Bruins would’ve called the family themselves.

Sweeney said, more than once, that the move may not be worth it. He said that the Bruins took Miller off their draft board in 2020. He said some of the leaders on his roster asked why Miller was signed at all. He said that he wasn’t sure he’d be able to forgive Miller, had Meyers-Crother been his son. He said a lot of stuff, really, and most of it was bad. When in doubt, he seemed to reference the fact that, gee whiz, Miller was a 14-year-old that did something terrible, rather than a 20-year-old who’d only made half-hearted attempts at contrition while he grasped at the brass ring.

He also said, in effect, that if other teams were willing to sign Miller, the Bruins should’ve been, too. Other organizations were willing to show their moral bankruptcy. Why not us? He almost had 40 goals as a defenseman. What are we supposed to do, not sign the USHL player of the year?

Simple math, that. It isn’t the justification that Sweeney seems to think it is — but it is a helpful, sad reminder of the business we’re dealing with; pro sports is an immoral enterprise, and hockey does a worse job of hiding that than its peers. Friday was the latest in an endless series of mask-off moments that show how the folks in charge move when they think nobody is looking. The one thing you can’t say is that you haven’t been told.

FgvQ3apXkAEyP5g

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
All this talk of "he was only 14" is ignoring that Miller's statement today, when he's 20, absolutely downplayed what he did. He speaks of a single "incident" and calls it a "mistake."

It was a crime that followed years of abuse, and the victim's mother said Miller continued to taunt her son after the crime.

The only "apologies" Miller has ever offered came because a judge ordered him to, or his prospective NHL bosses told him he has too.

All of which is why "he was 14" is a totally empty defense in this specific case.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
After sitting on this for a few hours I still do not get any of this. Sweeney presser makes it seem like he was against it and told to do it. Was he saving face or is Neely or another person responsible?

Secondly, this kid was a 4th round pick who had one good year in the USHL as a 21 year old. What could they possibly see in him that they wanted so badly that they had to beat other teams to the punch?

Third, With guys like Seguin, Corvo, Barzal and potentially who knows who else who reportedly had issues not being welcomed on the team how is this guy that desired by management?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What a dumb statement ...
Who even are you?

After sitting on this for a few hours I still do not get any of this. Sweeney presser makes it seem like he was against it and told to do it. Was he saving face or is Neely or another person responsible?

Secondly, this kid was a 4th round pick who had one good year in the USHL as a 21 year old. What could they possibly see in him that they wanted so badly that they had to beat other teams to the punch?

Third, With guys like Seguin, Corvo, Barzal and potentially who knows who else who reportedly had issues not being welcomed on the team how is this guy that desired by management?
Yeah, this is where I’m at too.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
One thing I don't understand:

If Miller's career blossoms, he lights up the AHL, makes the team in a year or two and somehow shows personal progress... Will the doubt ever go away? The doubt, and the questions that he is faking it for his career. These are deserved questions.

I can't even begin to picture him succeeding on the power play with our core guys and being entirely conflicted on how to feel, even if he shows 100% great signs of progress. Again, all lights could be green, and there would still be a gray cloud over everything. And that's in the best case scenario. I just don't get it.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Soooooo, I’ll throw in my two cents

I’m a middle school teacher that works really hard to help children be better people. If I didn’t believe they couldn’t, I wouldn’t be a middle school teacher

On an anectdotal and more personal less professional note, I was once an asshole middle schooler that said racist things and did shitty things to other boys (certainly took my fair share of bullying as well). 20 years later I dedicate a lot of my life working on being anti racist not just with my opinions and words but in actionable practice

If we don’t believe people can work to be better people, then what’s the point of them trying to be better? If we’re just going to shame people the rest of their lives and never let them work their way to a better place, what are we doing?

If we’re going to go the extra step and level that on a *14 year old*, then seriously, what are we doing?

I sincerely hope he understands how awful what he did was and it’s not just a pony show so he can play hockey. But I’m willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt. I hope he uses his status and wealth if he becomes successful to actively fight bullying and racism, because at the end of the day, he should.
Good post…I’m not happy about the signing but I guess I just wish it was another team because he shouldn’t be condemned for an endless term for what he did at 14. I also wonder about the kids parents because I believe I read he was saying racist things to the kid all the way back in the first grade…that’s pretty early to develop those kinds of thoughts and had to be pushed on him if true. Tough situation all around, he’s had his draft rights rescinded and did not get the opportunity to play college hockey…at some point he should be allowed to proceed with his life if he has stayed on the straight and narrow….wish it wasn’t us but if he’s figured it out I guess he should be able to pursue pro hockey with someone.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Can't reiterate enough that this is only the beginning of the shit storm. Boston may be the worst NHL city to have this happen. Have to wonder if someone in management will publicly end up being the fall guy. DS in his statement was already hinting that he doesn't want to be the fall guy. A decision such as this had to have gone through multiple layers of people. Will everyone in the front office stay tight lipped, or will someone from a relatively leak-proof organization leak something? Or will management throw someone under the bus outright?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Curious if Bruins brass took into account how Anthony D’Angelo was toxic but is signed and playing and his alleged racism is almost never discussed. Perhaps they decided to change it and weather the PR storm?

This thread is toxic. Sweeney sucks

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad