Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Mitchell Miller to ELC

Bruins sign Mitchell Miller to ELC

• Never going to cheer or be a fan of Mitchell.

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • I'm ashamed to be a bruin fan today / what was Management thinking?

Votes: 84 36.4%
  • High Risk High Reward - I believe in redemption / 2nd chances / bruin organization will help him.

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • I want to puke.

Votes: 44 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Even though I think the signing is stupid, it shouldn’t really be a “distraction” for the team. It shouldn’t affect their coach or their game. I don’t think this guy being on the organization somewhere in Providence or lower is going to make Bergeron forget how to backcheck, or Pasta just unable to shoot anymore. But when they inevitably have a losing streak, we’ll almost certainly see a reference to this signing. You can practically write the article now.

I think they’ll get tired of having to answer the questions that have nothing to do with them.

You know they’ll be assaulted with this bullshit in Toronto.

If I was Marchy I would say” how the f*** do I know why. Ask Sweeney”.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think they’ll get tired of having to answer the questions that have nothing to do with them.

You know they’ll be assaulted with this bullshit in Toronto.

If I was Marchy I would say” how the f*** do I know why. Ask Sweeney”.
100% - I think tomorrow nights effort will be really, really telling.

They’ve been giving 100% effort for 11 games now, if they suddenly lay an egg against their biggest rival tomorrow, then yikes. Not a good look.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I'm a 61 year old white male. I grew up in Foxboro a long time ago in what seems like a very different society/culture and possibly even a different reality/parallel universe. 8th grade was in the junior high John J Ahern middle school along with 6th & 7th grades. Kids of today and many younger - middle aged adults of today would have a very hard time surviving the three years back in the day. Feelings would be hurt and kids would run home crying to their parents only to be told to suck it up and learn to deal with it.

Kids at that age in those grades (back then and even today) are mean to each other just for the hell of it and say and do stupid things just because they don't know any better or are trying to act cool and or tough before their buddies.

Showing weakness back then would only get one picked on more. There were freaks and jocks and what were called rumbles - large group fights. During those years I must have been called every faul name in the book and then some by other classmates and older students. 7th grade was especially rough ... I must have had at least one fist fight every week some times multiple times a week. At one point riding the bus to school was no longer and option so I walked 5 miles to avoid conflict. Only to later while walking have certain individuals chase me down looking to throw. It was a very draining time emotionally but one dealt with in mostly by trying to avoid those who didn't like you. Telling an authority figure would only result is delayed usually worse confrontation later.

So for me it is really difficult to understand how thin skinned people today have become. Everyone is a victim these days.

This kid the Bruins signed, I don't know him from jack and I'm pretty sure no one here has sat down and spoken with him personally. Yet many want to crucify him for being a stupid punk for things he said and did in 8th grade. Heck you would need to banish me too for some of the stupid things I had said and done back then in junior high.

I do not know if this kid, this now young man, if he is remorseful and sorry for his actions when he was younger. Only God truly knows a person's heart. Only God knows if he is repentant. And as Jesus said in John 8 (paraphrased) if there is any one here who is with out sin let him cast the first stone.

I haven't read the whole thread and I don't know this man's whole story but I do believe in second chances. Maybe he really is sorry, maybe it is all an act ... either way with time his true nature will be revealed. I use to love coming here reading the forum, thoughts and opinions of people because they were talking about hockey, my passion, my love for the game and especially the Bruins. But lately, past year or more there has been so much criticism and arguments. The comments about this man, justified or not, idk, some of the things posted are maybe no better than what he said; only a different type of bullying hidden behind a keyboard, with words in an open forum. IDK ... maybe he has changed but give him a chance before you judge him ... for in the manner you judge so shall you be judged.
Or is he destined to be Kevin Bacon in Flatliners?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Even though I think the signing is stupid, it shouldn’t really be a “distraction” for the team. It shouldn’t affect their coach or their game. I don’t think this guy being on the organization somewhere in Providence or lower is going to make Bergeron forget how to backcheck, or Pasta just unable to shoot anymore. But when they inevitably have a losing streak, we’ll almost certainly see a reference to this signing. You can practically write the article now.
The article can basically write itself.

But this was seriously an unneeded distraction for a team doing well. The fact that anyone in the organization thought this was a good makes me question the organization.

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
I'm a 61 year old white male. I grew up in Foxboro a long time ago in what seems like a very different society/culture and possibly even a different reality/parallel universe. 8th grade was in the junior high John J Ahern middle school along with 6th & 7th grades. Kids of today and many younger - middle aged adults of today would have a very hard time surviving the three years back in the day. Feelings would be hurt and kids would run home crying to their parents only to be told to suck it up and learn to deal with it.

Kids at that age in those grades (back then and even today) are mean to each other just for the hell of it and say and do stupid things just because they don't know any better or are trying to act cool and or tough before their buddies.

Showing weakness back then would only get one picked on more. There were freaks and jocks and what were called rumbles - large group fights. During those years I must have been called every faul name in the book and then some by other classmates and older students. 7th grade was especially rough ... I must have had at least one fist fight every week some times multiple times a week. At one point riding the bus to school was no longer and option so I walked 5 miles to avoid conflict. Only to later while walking have certain individuals chase me down looking to throw. It was a very draining time emotionally but one dealt with in mostly by trying to avoid those who didn't like you. Telling an authority figure would only result is delayed usually worse confrontation later.

So for me it is really difficult to understand how thin skinned people today have become. Everyone is a victim these days.

This kid the Bruins signed, I don't know him from jack and I'm pretty sure no one here has sat down and spoken with him personally. Yet many want to crucify him for being a stupid punk for things he said and did in 8th grade. Heck you would need to banish me too for some of the stupid things I had said and done back then in junior high.

I do not know if this kid, this now young man, if he is remorseful and sorry for his actions when he was younger. Only God truly knows a person's heart. Only God knows if he is repentant. And as Jesus said in John 8 (paraphrased) if there is any one here who is with out sin let him cast the first stone.

I haven't read the whole thread and I don't know this man's whole story but I do believe in second chances. Maybe he really is sorry, maybe it is all an act ... either way with time his true nature will be revealed. I use to love coming here reading the forum, thoughts and opinions of people because they were talking about hockey, my passion, my love for the game and especially the Bruins. But lately, past year or more there has been so much criticism and arguments. The comments about this man, justified or not, idk, some of the things posted are maybe no better than what he said; only a different type of bullying hidden behind a keyboard, with words in an open forum. IDK ... maybe he has changed but give him a chance before you judge him ... for in the manner you judge so shall you be judged.
Damn good post, well articulated 👍

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Cant imagine any players are going to be comfortable answering questions about this topic.

You either go against your GM and disagree openly, which creates its own storyline.

Or you agree with it which tarnishes your own image.

Everyone is a victim these days.

Yea I would say the kid made to eat candy out of a urinal while hearing racial slurs thrown at him is a victim. I wouldn't classify that as thin skinned.

Unless that statement is unrelated to the topic of this thread in which case what a weird time to soapbox over "todays youth".

Last edited:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Was just reading the kinds of things miller did consistently, including calling the victim the n word in first grade …yea. This boy was raised in a rotten culture. So, more teacher anecdotes - and to be perfectly clear, between my applied sciences degree and working with over 5000 kids so far in my career, it’s somewhere between anectdotal and empirical at this point - every single time you had a kid f***ing up, it was the parents. Some parents even provided for their child all the surface things they needed so it didn’t seem like it was them. But it was. Formative experiences greatly shape brain chemistry ages 0-4, then children start to figure out who they are at 8, then begin developing a true moral compass at 10 (some earlier than others but this is the norm) and by 12 it’s very hard to transition them down another path unless every adult in their lives is consistent with a very rigid intervention routine that reflects what they need as an individual. The fact he was doing this shit over and over without repercussions…a lot of blame to go around. A lot.

The real question is, will he truly ready to atone, or is it all just to become a pro hockey player? Will he commit to rewiring his brain? Or will he say sorry smile and deliver pastries once a year? Men like Bergy foligno and Monty can help (lord knows Monty knows a thing or two about redemption) time will tell, whether it’s here or elsewhere.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Whilst you judge those here.
Heres a suggestion. Read all the reports. Read what the victims mom had to say. Leave your judgement of what others are posting here Out of it.
And as requested earlier - like politics- leave religion at home or your house of worship please.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
To the people who are saying “he was 14 years old, it was a long time ago, he shouldn’t be punished because he was a kid”

Ok, let’s say that.

Imagine you’re a parent, and you have a child who’s disabled. Your child goes to school and has to face obstacle after obstacle to feel somewhat normal. You as a parent have to deal with your kid coming home from school (FOR YEARS) and telling you what happened at school today.

That infuriates me to no f***ing end. I hope the people who are clamouring for a second chance would use that same energy if it was their kid who came home from school for years after being bullied.

I’m sorry, man. I have zero f***ing sympathy for Miller. Zero.
Miller wasn’t getting signed before 20
Anyways. You have the Blackhawk’s Beach stuff, the team Canada fiasco, the malloux signing, this signing….NHL should be happy basically nobody in America cares about them.

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
the auto reply?
we, all that emailed, got them today/tonight. Myself included.

oh and because many writers have been reading here. Why? Because we are the most fanatic of the Lunatic Fringe and they like to see what we’re thinking.

Fishbowl
Really? So, Ty might be watching now!?

Hey Ty, forgiveness is the answer.

Remember what Gandhi said about forgiveness.

Thanks Wally.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Oh I will be SHOCKED if Leafs fans leave this one alone tomorrow night…

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Cant imagine any players are going to be comfortable answering questions about this topic.

You either go against your GM and disagree openly, which creates its own storyline.

Yea I would say the kid made to eat candy out of a urinal while hearing racial slurs thrown at him is a victim. I wouldn't classify that as thin skinned.

Unless that statement is unrelated to the topic of this thread in which case what a weird time to soapbox over "todays youth".

exactly.
the players will be asked. Every city. And yep, no matter how you answer youre screwed.
piss poor situation.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022

lmao, you're really going to turn this whole situation into some "people these days are soft" nonsense, I don't know about you but I might have done some dumb things as a kid but I never repeatedly bullied a developmentally challenged black kid for years calling them racial slurs and forcing them to eat a lollipop that had been put in a urinal, but it seems like you have no problems with that and have done worse and anyone getting upset about that is just "thin-skinned" give your head a shake bud this take is atrocious.

This whole post reads like a copypasta made to intentionally sound like the most out-of-touch boomer, I can't believe it's real and I can't believe there are people liking it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I don't understand why they should even be questioned about it.

He's signed to a minor league contract. He's not a teammate of any of these players.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Yeah I agree, there's no way a guy as analytical as Sweeney walked into this without doing a stack of research and convincing himself that the chances of Miller genuinely turning a corner and working out well for the organization are fairly high. Same goes for the rest of the management crew.

However there are still things that don't sit well with me. The Instagram message/apology just seems weak and a bone thrown to please the Bruins. On the point of atonement, well I'd argue if the victim and his family don't feel any sense of a genuine attempt on Miller's part to show direct contrition and regret for what he did, then you have to strongly feel that not enough has been done in that space and whatever exactly Miller now feels about his actions and desire to be better, he still hasn't stared the consequences and hurt properly in the face and addressed them. Then on top of that Sweeney has rather undersold what Miller did, and that's a pretty ugly thing to do, and they're paying Miller more than they have to, which just feels like rubbing it in.

Miller may very well have made a compelling case as to his change of heart and what he now plans to do to make amends and make a positive difference in the world and as a hockey player. But again, for me until he actually properly deals with the past, and until the Bruins are willing to deal with this completely honestly, then I'm not comfortable with this decision. As I've said, I'm not against this sort of thing in general, not at all, but I'm not sold on this particular case. There's a couple of very important steps missing that should have been completed/proven before the signing was made.

This is the most baffling aspect of this. I‘ve never been a big Sweeney fan but I feel I’ve been fair to him as GM.

I‘ve spent my adult life working with at risk kids. Some of whom did terrible things and ended up being productive adults. So I’m not one who easily gives up on the idea that someone can repent.

Given that, in this case even I don’t see the upside in this move and I really think this is a product of Sweeney’s arrogance, with a touch of tone deafness thrown in.

Ultimately, I think this will cost him his job. Not necessarily this month, but it will play a role when it happens.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

He's signed to a minor league contract. He's not a teammate of any of these players.

they shouldnt.
but do honestly believe they wont be?
especially in this day of social media and everyone and their mother trying to be first with a hot take?

Reactions: Alicat

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

This is a divisive move that doesn't just relate to the on-ice product. Fans want to know if this is the type of character that belongs in that locker room or associated with the Bruins Org.

I do want to know what Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, etc think of a move like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad