Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign John Moore 5 years 2.75 aav

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I'm not sure what his role is going to be on this team but here is somthing to consider.

In two seasons he could be our best LD left on the roster with Chara and Krug being either retired or leaving via UFA.

At his age he wasn't going to take a 2-3 year deal so he provides a little insurance in case the worst happens and none of the prospects have come along.

Best case scenario he is a fixture on the bottom pairing with guys like Zboril, Lauzon or Vaakanainen taking those top-4 heavy minutes.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I feel like i say this every year.

Bruins have been dressing 8-10 dmen for well over a decade now. Injuries, poor play, callups, demotions, etc etc all happen over the course of 82+ games. I do think Moore will be a part of the starting rotation.

Reactions: DKH

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
This feels like the Dennis Seidenberg acquisition in 08*. Not a ton of fanfare, some considered him a journeyman defenseman.

I like the move, don’t mins the term. He could end up a 2nd pairing anchor.

Halak good backup. Wagner will be zipping around like a heat seeking missile. So far I’d say Sweeney making smooth moves. This was a 112 point team. A 3rd line center still needed (assuming Heinen/ Frederic can’t hold it down).

Would really love a 2nd line RW. But I’d prefer a veteran on short term. Bjork Donato Heinen Senyshn should be filling in these spots soon.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
This feels like the Dennis Seidenberg acquisition in 08*. Not a ton of fanfare, some considered him a journeyman defenseman.

I like the move, don’t mins the term. He could end up a 2nd pairing anchor.

Halak good backup. Wagner will be zipping around like a heat seeking missile. So far I’d say Sweeney making smooth moves. This was a 112 point team. A 3rd line center still needed (assuming Heinen/ Frederic can’t hold it down).

Would really love a 2nd line RW. But I’d prefer a veteran on short term. Bjork Donato Heinen Senyshn should be filling in these spots soon.

was gonna say exactly this.

this feels like Seidenberg 2.0

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Moore at 6'3" paired with Carlo at 6'5" will cover a load of ice. Would also make a nice PK tandem.

he can skate, make a great outlet pass, score some goals, kill some penalties, throw the occasional big hit...turns well on the puck to retrieve. Good team guy.

Has issues with decision making at times, getss a little reckless, could be tougher in front of the net in regards to clearing the crease.

he covers a lot of space when you see him live. He with Carlo will take away lanes with the stick, they won't be a picnic to set up and make plays against. He would also do very well with Killer, and would be a plus matchup vs third lines. I think he can hold his own second pair with BC, and make a good 2nd team PK and occasional PP time if needed.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't know... Sweeney made a comment in his presser about how you need 8D in the playoffs and that there's something to be said for getting a guy now when you don't have to give up trade assets. Last year, the Bruins gave up O'Gara and a 3rd to get Nick Holden. They just got a better player in Moore for free.

I don't know if he's spinning it that way so people will think he wants to carry 8D all year but I also don't think the guys in Providence are ready and I do believe he plans to go into next year's playoff with 8 defensemen. He always does.

That said, to me this signing makes Gryz expendable, not Krug. Krug is an impact player. You don't give that up without getting someone better. Gryz is a good young talent signed cheap. That has real trade value too. Not Krug's value, but legit value.

Good points, I`m not a big fan of moving Krug. I just finished reading some of the quotes from DS where he mentioned just how many D-men the B`s have been forced to use come playoff time, you could very well be right and you are likely right about the D in the AHL, may just need a bit more time to develop. This Moore contract appears to be a manageable contract too, not your typical vast overpayment

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
This signing was a little surprising at first, no doubt. But I understand it. The past 2 seasons our defense has be wrecked by injuries and we added another solid #5 who can play top 4 if he has to. Most people will call it wasted cap space until the defensemen start dropping like flies again. Chara is old, McQuaid is guaranteed to almost break his neck again by game 10, and everyone complains about how small we are so they will probably get injured too :D. Depth doesn't hurt.

Also, this is a team who has seen Kevan Miller improve by leaps and bounds from ages 28-30. (Part of that was usage as well) What says Moore can't improve too? Well, that's the brightside side I'm looking on for this.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Moore at 6'3" paired with Carlo at 6'5" will cover a load of ice. Would also make a nice PK tandem.

he can skate, make a great outlet pass, score some goals, kill some penalties, throw the occasional big hit...turns well on the puck to retrieve. Good team guy.

Has issues with decision making at times, getss a little reckless, could be tougher in front of the net in regards to clearing the crease.

he covers a lot of space when you see him live. He with Carlo will take away lanes with the stick, they won't be a picnic to set up and make plays against. He would also do very well with Killer, and would be a plus matchup vs third lines. I think he can hold his own second pair with BC, and make a good 2nd team PK and occasional PP time if needed.

Lou, thx for the assessment, always good to hear from someone who has actually seen him play for a sample size larger than the 1, maybe 2 games that I have

I`m not even sure I noticed him vs the B`s and that`s not a negative comment

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This signing was a little surprising at first, no doubt. But I understand it. The past 2 seasons our defense has be wrecked by injuries and we added another solid #5 who can play top 4 if he has to. Most people will call it wasted cap space until the defensemen start dropping like flies again.

Also, this is a team who has seen Kevan Miller improve by leaps and bounds from ages 28-30. (Part of that was usage as well) What says Moore can't improve too? Well, that's the brightside side I'm looking on for this.

wondering if Moore showed this past year that he can raise his game a bit? The previous few years in Jersey, they were a putrid team, this past year, much improved and it sounds like (I say sounds as I can`t recall watching more than 2 Devs games) his game followed suit

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
wondering if Moore showed this past year that he can raise his game a bit? The previous few years in Jersey, they were a putrid team, this past year, much improved and it sounds like (I say sounds as I can`t recall watching more than 2 Devs games) his game followed suit

He has a lot of tools. He's never going to win a Norris, but 2.5aav for him is peanuts. Bruins get the size they wanted back there without sacrificing speed. He's certainly not a tough player in the sense people equate tough with (although he will hit hard and fight at times) but he can turn and get the puck. 6-3 gets to the puck quicker than 5-9 when they both have the same speed, due to length and stick reach, and the bigger bodies can absorb more of a hit without getting knocked off the puck. This was identified by the brass as a weakness and they acted on it.

I still think he can learn some of the nuances, as at time he seemed slow to process, but his speed makes up for it. He will get the stick in the lane as well. He's not a first pair guy. Not an all star. I see a way better player than Nick Holden (whom he's been wrongly compared), and I see a better 5v5 player than either Krug or Gryz on our team tbh.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Don't understand this signing... Maybe don wants to keep his unblemished lousy signings record intact.
After yesterday's events ,the bruins need a steal of a trade .they have now dropped even further as a cup contender.
P.s. need to applaud Toronto they wanted their man and got him. The isles are now way out of being a cup contender.. even with Barzal..Barzal is no Tavares

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He has a lot of tools. He's never going to win a Norris, but 2.5aav for him is peanuts. Bruins get the size they wanted back there without sacrificing speed. He's certainly not a tough player in the sense people equate tough with (although he will hit hard and fight at times) but he can turn and get the puck. 6-3 gets to the puck quicker than 5-9 when they both have the same speed, due to length and stick reach, and the bigger bodies can absorb more of a hit without getting knocked off the puck. This was identified by the brass as a weakness and they acted on it.

I still think he can learn some of the nuances, as at time he seemed slow to process, but his speed makes up for it. He will get the stick in the lane as well. He's not a first pair guy. Not an all star. I see a way better player than Nick Holden (whom he's been wrongly compared), and I see a better 5v5 player than either Krug or Gryz on our team tbh.

Thx again, when the B`s signed Holden, I thought he would be nothing more than strictly depth which he was. I am just about to pop over the Devils board to read what their fans think of losing Moore. Always get a kick out of that (I never post on opposing teams sites) and I always do so with the understanding that fans have a tendency to give players a good swift kick if they are moving along.

I like the signing, like the Wagner one too from what I`ve heard/read about his game but most of all, I liked that DS didn`t go out and over spend while I believe improving the team and addressing some needs he spoke to at seasons end

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal

Excellent analysis! Thanks for something fair and not rooted in hysterical madness.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
I don't know... Sweeney made a comment in his presser about how you need 8D in the playoffs and that there's something to be said for getting a guy now when you don't have to give up trade assets. Last year, the Bruins gave up O'Gara and a 3rd to get Nick Holden. They just got a better player in Moore for free.

I don't know if he's spinning it that way so people will think he wants to carry 8D all year but I also don't think the guys in Providence are ready and I do believe he plans to go into next year's playoff with 8 defensemen. He always does.

That said, to me this signing makes Gryz expendable, not Krug. Krug is an impact player. You don't give that up without getting someone better. Gryz is a good young talent signed cheap. That has real trade value too. Not Krug's value, but legit value.

The Bruins did not get Moore for free. "free" agency is a misnomer in a salary cap world. Cap space has a ton of value. I don't think either of the last two Bruins GMs has completely understood this.

I'd rather give up a 3rd and O'Gara every deadline than commit 5 years to a guy who may or may not be able to play in the top 4 here, particularly when we're already paying 2 other guys who are better suited for the 3rd or 4th pairing in Kevan and McQuaid.

I like Moore better than the previous two, which is damning with faint praise more than anything else.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

Seems like exactly what we were missing during last playoffs (besides Carlo and 5 on 5 scoring).

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
gotta be a deal coming, the D is overflowing with guys who very well deserve to play

D is over flowing with a lot of 3-6 defenseman.

Quantity over Quality isn't a good thing at the NHL level and right now thats what the Bruins have. They need another top 4 d-man preferably anther top pairing d-man to play with McAvoy.

Its great to have depth but you still need to be top end heavy. That is if you plan on competing for the Cup!

Knocking on the door- Zboril, Lauzon Vaakanainen

5- 6 - Grizz, Moore McQuaid, Miller

3- 4 -Carlo Chara and Krug

1-2 - McAvoy

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Bruins did not get Moore for free. "free" agency is a misnomer in a salary cap world. Cap space has a ton of value. I don't think either of the last two Bruins GMs has completely understood this.

I'd rather give up a 3rd and O'Gara every deadline than commit 5 years to a guy who may or may not be able to play in the top 4 here, particularly when we're already paying 2 other guys who are better suited for the 3rd or 4th pairing in Kevan and McQuaid.

I like Moore better than the previous two, which is damning with faint praise more than anything else.

As the Hab fans how much value they got out of the 10 million in left-over cap space last season.

Cap space having "value" is the kind of nonsense you hear from the talking heads on TSN and Sportsnet.

Cap space doesn't produce results on the ice. You can't trade it or sell it. You have seen teams with cap space use it to bring in a bad contact in addition to another nice asset. But is anyone advocating for the Bruins to go out and do just that? That type of move is usually reserved for the teams far below the salary cap.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Devils fan here:

Well you signed John Moore IMO that's great for the Devils. He scored points for us but wasn't all that good on defense. Most of the Devils fan during the season were calling for him to be benched. He was sometimes.

Good luck with him.

Go Devils

Reactions: Mpasta

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
As the Hab fans how much value they got out of the 10 million in left-over cap space last season.

Cap space having "value" is the kind of nonsense you hear from the talking heads on TSN and Sportsnet.

Cap space doesn't produce results on the ice. You can't trade it or sell it. You have seen teams with cap space use it to bring in a bad contact in addition to another nice asset. But is anyone advocating for the Bruins to go out and do just that? That type of move is usually reserved for the teams far below the salary cap.

Of course you can, to pretend you cannot is just wrong. Teams just don't. Someone will eventually, but sports franchises, as competitive as they come off are some of the least innovative in terms of how they run their businesses. It's bizarre.

The Habs problem isn't the cap space, it's the overall health of their organization, which is awesome that they suck.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Some historical re-writing going on here. When the Bs traded for Seidenberg the criticism was that they had chosen Derek Morris over him that offseason and now had to fix that mistake by giving up an asset. Most people were happy to get Seidenberg. It wasn't controversial.
Controversy no, but I don’t recall much excitement about Seidenberg. I’d guess not many predicted/ expected he would become the player he became in Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad