Krug coming back from injury

McAvoy was out a bunch of games and came back with a brace

Chara age

Miller & McQuaid style and injury history

They want 4 guys on each side

Seems logical considering that was the same plan last year when they got Holden

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I don’t think Bruins are done yet Marco,would like to know what they’re offer was to Tavares,I think Sweeney has acknowledged he definitely wants a top six forward.

Don't know if they even made a serious offer. I think most felt Tav would stay in NY however Tor was more and more in the media and something about his wife getting work in Tor. Anyhow I didn't think the Bruins would get him and im quite certain niether did they. There was talk here(especially from a mod) that the cap would not allow us to sign him that was a bunch of BS ..the cap was not an issue. Toronto really wanted him and got him.. obviously wanting a player on its own in no way assures his arrival but how much the team wants him is of great importance and without it you have next to no chance....Kitch how much do you think the bruins really wanted him?
Was it just a sort of let's show we are interested so fans feel that the bruins are really doing their best to be a strong contender?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’d venture to guess Moore isn’t who they wanted but he fits the description of what they wanted. A mobile left shot defensemen with size. All that talk about koekkoek last year and this offseason made me think that’s the type of guy they were looking for. I racked my brain trying to find others that would fit that profile of a young left shot guy with size who has pedigree but not much experience. Never thought of Moore (I thought of hadyn fluery). But more certainly fits that description. He just lacks the upside koekkoek and fleury would have provided. But similar profiles
I’d guess they wanted Hanifin

I’d guess someone like Dean or Cassidy liked this player

I actually did myself but my viewing was not a lot and not like I broke down his game

Based on snipets and live viewing where I wasn’t focused all that much on him I would have thought it was good

The Devils fans say he sucks like many of the Rangers fans said Holden did

I’m curious to see if Sweeney/Cassidy/Dean know more than us

I’m skeptical

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I didn’t see any tweet or article from haggerty saying this but someone said haggerty said Boston was talking lucic. If that’s the case and Krug is going to Edmonton, I’d have to hope Edmonton is retaining at least 2 million and klefbom is also included

You still think Haggerty is a legitimate source?

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I never thought Tavares was coming here, although it would’ve been beneficial to him if he aspires to win a cup.

I don’t think Moore was brought in to stabilize anything. He’s a 27yr old NHL dman on short money. As many have said, injuries happen, or maybe this is part of another deal? Regardless, Moore signing no reason to get people whining.

McDonagh was the guy to get last trade deadline. Yzerman is a great GM. Hanifin? Sweeney would have to give up the equivalent of Dougie. Carlo +? McAvoy? Pastrnak? Heck no. Chiarelli looking for a puck moving dman, maybe there’s something brewing there?

Tavares to come to Boston if he aspires to win a cup....totally disagree.I know we beat them in the playoffs last year but Tor is more of a contender then the Bruins.
You can argue about their goaltending but there's lots of stats that can disprove Rask as a playoff goalie.
As far as whining of Moore signing, not whining I just don't care about it so maybe that in itself is whining. I hope your right about this signing being a prelude to a trade but it reminds me when the bruins traded boychuk on how that was all a strategy to make a big trade.....still waiting.

McDonald's is a good D and yes Yzerman deserves lots of credit for being a saavy GM and TB could use a Mcdonaugh.
But the bruins need depth at offence .I don't see Ryan doing much to have made us a serious contender

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I didn’t see any tweet or article from haggerty saying this but someone said haggerty said Boston was talking lucic. If that’s the case and Krug is going to Edmonton, I’d have to hope Edmonton is retaining at least 2 million and klefbom is also included
If that was true I think are pretty fair with that return for Krug

He’s got a modified NMC and Edmonton would logically be on it

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Tavares to come to Boston if he aspires to win a cup....totally disagree.I know we beat them in the playoffs last year but Tor is more of a contender then the Bruins.
You can argue about their goaltending but there's lots of stats that can disprove Rask as a playoff goalie.
As far as whining of Moore signing, not whining I just don't care about it so maybe that in itself is whining. I hope your right about this signing being a prelude to a trade but it reminds me when the bruins traded boychuk on how that was all a strategy to make a big trade.....still waiting.

McDonald's is a good D and yes Yzerman deserves lots of credit for being a saavy GM and TB could use a Mcdonaugh.
But the bruins need depth at offence .I don't see Ryan doing much to have made us a serious contender
Both Doug MacLean and Brian Burke did not like the extension given to McDonagh citing at least 2 years to long

Surprised they were so open on it

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

I’d say other than Morgan Reilly that Toronto defense is bottom third in the league. And let’s not forget the cap crunch they’ll be in once Mathews Marner Nylander etc are due for raises. Leafs gained Tavares, but lost JVR, Bozak, Komarov. Nothing to sneeze at. I like Tavares and great for him for getting to star for his childhood team.

Bruins need a lockdown 3rd line center, and a Chara replacement on the left side. We disagree regarding depth on offense. Bergeron Marchand Pastrnak Krejci. Followed by DeBrusk and Heinen who had nice seasons. Heinen scored almost 50 points and went cold for a good chunk towards end of season. I’m expecting those two improve or at minimum remain lateral. Ryan Donato is a wild card. He undoubtedly has electric scoring ability, but he needs to learn to be effective in all 3 zones. I think 20 goals is possible. I’d much rather see Donato get that chance over a 6m Kovalchuk or Rick Nash.

Reactions: DKH

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Don't know if they even made a serious offer. I think most felt Tav would stay in NY however Tor was more and more in the media and something about his wife getting work in Tor. Anyhow I didn't think the Bruins would get him and im quite certain niether did they. There was talk here(especially from a mod) that the cap would not allow us to sign him that was a bunch of BS ..the cap was not an issue. Toronto really wanted him and got him.. obviously wanting a player on its own in no way assures his arrival but how much the team wants him is of great importance and without it you have next to no chance....Kitch how much do you think the bruins really wanted him?
Was it just a sort of let's show we are interested so fans feel that the bruins are really doing their best to be a strong contender?
I think they definitely wanted him,but probably not for 11 million.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Panarin, alone, would cost the Bruins an arm and a leg. Nevermind adding Anderson to it.

Panarin is a UFA next season and I do not think the cost for acquiring him would be quite as steep as folks think. You might be able to get him for Krug, a young winger and a conditional 3rd round pick. The Bruins should only do this if they think they can extend Panarin...of course. And if they are able to resign Panarin, the conditional 3rd converts to a 2nd. I think this could get it done considering CLB currently has Ryan Murray as their #4 LHD. Krug would look excellent paired next to David Savard on the 2nd pair.

There is also a remote chance that the Bruins and Jackets work on a multi-player trade. Notice how Sean Kuraly hasn't re-signed. He is an Ohio native. On CLB's side, Boone Jenner is still unsigned. I wonder if CLB would be willing to move on from Jenner due to the emergence of Pierre Luc Dubois. Not sure if I would prefer Panarin on his own - or along with Jenner to fill the #3c role. Jenner is a great player, but he will be looking for a significant raise with term.

Anywho - BOS and CLB could make interesting trade partners as we come up to training camp.

Reactions: Strafer and TCB

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
Both Doug MacLean and Brian Burke did notals like the extension given to McDonagh citing at least 2 years to long

Surprised they were so open on it
yes also the quarantine contract setup that JT got. and signing bonus but heard all teams in the running offered JT that....he just wanted to sign with the leafs

Reactions: DKH

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I’d say other than Morgan Reilly that Toronto defense is bottom third in the league. And let’s not forget the cap crunch they’ll be in once Mathews Marner Nylander etc are due for raises. Leafs gained Tavares, but lost JVR, Bozak, Komarov. Nothing to sneeze at. I like Tavares and great for him for getting to star for his childhood team.

Bruins need a lockdown 3rd line center, and a Chara replacement on the left side. We disagree regarding depth on offense. Bergeron Marchand Pastrnak Krejci. Followed by DeBrusk and Heinen who had nice seasons. Heinen scored almost 50 points and went cold for a good chunk towards end of season. I’m expecting those two improve or at minimum remain lateral. Ryan Donato is a wild card. He undoubtedly has electric scoring ability, but he needs to learn to be effective in all 3 zones. I think 20 goals is possible. I’d much rather see Donato get that chance over a 6m Kovalchuk or Rick Nash.

Absolutely agree on Debrusk...and I don't want nash and didn't want Kovalchuk at this point in his career.
Heinen ....I think this will have to be the season to evaluate where he stands i.e a top 6? Or a third or fourth line player.
He wasn't impressive in a big chunk of the season last yr and niether in the playoffs. We can use the reason of him him being a rookie in the playoffs and choose to give him a pass for this season but I can't help to look at guys like Point and no need for a pass there

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
My take on everything I’ve heard about more.

His d zone coverage is basically like Dougie Hamilton’s.
His offensive game is basically nick Holden’s
His skating is like Colin Miller

Overall take. A number 5/6/7 defender on a contender and can play top 4 in a pinch

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Sweeney went over this

Earth to posters

He said he was brought in because Cassidy likes the 4 and 4 D composition

Regardless if the player stinks it’s how the Bruins are planning their D

Sweeney mentioned Carlo in 2 years hasn’t appeared in a playoff game

Krug coming back from injury

McAvoy was out a bunch of games and came back with a brace

Chara age

Miller & McQuaid style and injury history

They want 4 guys on each side

Seems logical considering that was the same plan last year when they got Holden

The B's gonna roll 18 skaters, 2 goalies. 2 extra D and 1 extra forward?

If one of McQuaid or Miller + Moore is in the pressbox, that's a lot of money sitting up there being paid to not be a regular.

Just have to think something else is coming up... Or maybe not.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

If one of McQuaid or Miller + Moore is in the pressbox, that's a lot of money sitting up there being paid to not be a regular.

That’s the point. The issue isn’t necessarily, at least for me, about Moore the player or the contract. And if Sweeney likes the idea of 8 NHL ready Dman, in theory I’m fine with that too. The issue to me is cap space and roster size. Moore means somebody sits, most of the time, who makes a decent contract and would have trade value. When you don’t have a 3rd line center or a reliable 2nd line scorer, that’s an odd priority system.

But lik we say every year on this same date, it’s just the start of the summer. The problem is, we say that and historically it ends up being the end of meaningful moves. I think if that’s the case again it’s a major problem.

Reactions: Strafer

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Good thing it's Jeremy Jacobs' money and not ours :laugh: If they are winning games, then who cares who is in the pressbox? You won't be going long into the season before one of our d-men goes down with something and you'll be happy to have that spare part.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I hear you except they are not necessarily looking at it as 2 extra D but 1 extra D per side

4 guys per side 82 x 3 = 246/4 = approx 62 games per player

That’s how they are probably going to go it

Does Grzelcyk have waiver exemption?

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
D is over flowing with a lot of 3-6 defenseman.

Quantity over Quality isn't a good thing at the NHL level and right now thats what the Bruins have. They need another top 4 d-man preferably anther top pairing d-man to play with McAvoy.

Its great to have depth but you still need to be top end heavy. That is if you plan on competing for the Cup!

Knocking on the door- Zboril, Lauzon Vaakanainen

5- 6 - Grizz, Moore McQuaid, Miller

3- 4 -Carlo Chara and Krug

1-2 - McAvoy

But how many teams are "top-end heavy"? Who has 4 top-line D?
And if we did have 4 1-2 D-men, how much $ would it cost? Who do we lose to have a top-heavy D?

Depth is depth. To say the B's are "overflowing" with 3-6 D-men is a bit ridiculous.
Your depth defencemen aren't going to be "extra" 1-2 D-men, are they?

Chara (still), McAvoy, Krug and Carlo have all played well in top 4 roles, bringing different skillsets. When needed Miller can play 2D. Sounds like Moore can maybe as well. I like that Moore brings more size. I like what Krug and Grizz bring – it's needed – but we were pushed around by Tampa in the POs. If Moore adds size and can move the puck (maybe not quite as well as Krug?), it gives us another dimension on D.

It would be great to have a top-heavy D. Who wouldn't want that? But I don't see it happening unless we scuttle our forward ranks or goalie quality. We'll see how this all works out, but I think it's clear they're going for depth and balance on D.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Good thing it's Jeremy Jacobs' money and not ours :laugh: If they are winning games, then who cares who is in the pressbox? You won't be going long into the season before one of our d-men goes down with something and you'll be happy to have that spare part.
I just think something else is coming that's all.

As for having extra insurance... Isn't that what Providence is for? Or our prospects not ready yet? Gotta start getting them NHL time somehow. Before it's on another team.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I hear you except they are not necessarily looking at it as 2 extra D but 1 extra D per side

4 guys per side 82 x 3 = 246/4 = approx 62 games per player

That’s how they are probably going to go it

Does Grzelcyk have waiver exemption?
Okay Dan I’ll put this another way so you aren’t forced to just defend the GM again...

What do you think is more important - having a solid 4th dman for each side for depth, or having an NHL caliber 3rd line center? Or 2nd line scoring winger?

Surely you defended the Nash trade at the deadline, as did I, so you saw the need. That need remains, and now maybe more so. Do you think that need is less than the need for a better 4th left defenseman? Do you think the difference between Gryz/Whomever or McQuaid/whomever is more impactful to the team than say Riley Nash vs. Wagner at 3C? Or a bona fide NHL scorer vs Ryan Donato at 2RW?

And yeah, it’s July 2nd and there’s no reason he can’t solve those problems too. But again, we aren’t talking about a hyperactive GM here. I see why people are a bit concerned with all this talk of 4 left D-men when we are missing two key spots in our top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad