Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign F Martin Bakos

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
This reminds me of the Brian Gionta signing. Gionta actually played a role for us last year.

Bruins are adding a veteran player with International experience with Bakos. He might surprise you and become a contributor.

I'm not holding my breath but it would be nice if an under the radar signing paid off for us.

Sweeney has yet to make a 'killer' free agent or trade acquisition. Great with the draft but the knock on him so far has been his inability to swing impact moves in the trade market, and generally signing really BAD free agents.
See Beleskey, and so far also see Backes who should not be earning 6m per season for back to back 30+ point season totals.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
AHL Fodder
Am we to assume that you have actually seen him play other than the IIHF TV telecasts?

I prefer to wait until TC and pre season games before I pass judgement.

And why would he agree to play in the AHL for $70,000. or whatever, when he can return to Europe and play for more?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Am we to assume that you have actually seen him play other than the IIHF TV telecasts?

I prefer to wait until TC and pre season games before I pass judgement.

And why would he agree to play in the AHL for $70,000. or whatever, when he can return to Europe and play for more?

AHL Fodder.... Kenny Agostino 2.0..... I put very little into these kinds of posts for this very reason. Even if that's all he is, who cares? It was a depth signing to see if there's some upside.

While he may be able to get more in Europe, maybe he wants a shot at the best league in the world? Worst case, he leaves after a year (or sooner) and does just that...return to Europe.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
AHL Fodder.... Kenny Agostino 2.0..... I put very little into these kinds of posts for this very reason. Even if that's all he is, who cares? It was a depth signing to see if there's some upside.

While he may be able to get more in Europe, maybe he wants a shot at the best league in the world? Worst case, he leaves after a year (or sooner) and does just that...return to Europe.

His AHL salary is $200,000 per season.

The average salary in the Czech Extraliga is less then $100,000 per season.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
This reminds me of when we drafted Zach Hamill back in '08 and the one big highlight you saw of him was that crazy between the legs shootout goal.

Hope Bakos has better luck at cracking the NHL then Hamill did.

This is a nothing signing. If he doesn't amount to anything it doesn't really matter. Hamill still hurts because I was begging for them to take Couture there and instead they chose that plug while Couture has been a really good player.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
This is a nothing signing. If he doesn't amount to anything it doesn't really matter. Hamill still hurts because I was begging for them to take Couture there and instead they chose that plug while Couture has been a really good player.

We no nothing about this player. We should hold off any judgement until such time he plays his first game with the pros.

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
We no nothing about this player. We should hold off any judgement until such time he plays his first game with the pros.
My point was that it cost us nothing whereas drafting Hamill cost us Couture but I did not articulate that point well enough apparently.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
My point was that it cost us nothing whereas drafting Hamill cost us Couture but I did not articulate that point well enough apparently.

I find it impressive the way some people can find a way to bitch about something that has literally nothing to do with the actual topic.

Bakos Signing = Complaining about taking Zach Hamill over Couture = ?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I know nothing about him other than me now expecting him to score a between-the-legs related goal every game.

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
These comments make me laugh - I'm pretty confident you haven't seen him enough to make this type of judgement.

I'll wait and share my opinion until he straps up.
Lol, I watched him play approx 25-30 home games whilst I worked for Slovan Bratislava, and every Slovak NT game.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
If he is “AHL Fodder”, and clearly so according to you, why sign him? Particularly with the amount of good prospects the B’s have right now?

Probably just competition for the 4th line I'd imagine. Seems like a low risk low reward type move..which is fine. You need organizational depth everywhere.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Worst case scenario - not a bad guy to have as the 13/14th forward in the press box so you don’t waste a younger prospect in that spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad