Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign F Martin Bakos

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I saw that.

Really surprised. Guessing the FO wants to get a look at him and see how he compares to the younger high end prospects.

If he’s not one of the dominant guys, he probably shouldn’t bother showing up in the Fall.
Rather than to compare him with the younger players, they probably just want to get him general idea how the organization works, see the staff, get used to the NA ice a bit. (He never played in NA prior to the signing)
I don't think he will make the team, but if he is willing to spend the year in the AHL and perhaps get a couple games, good for him. Maybe after that one AHL season he could push for some bottom 6 spot on the Bruins.
Either way, no risk signing so all is fine.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He should be dominating this week. 28 year old pro who’s worn a letter in the khl. I hope this was his idea. If the bruins told him to come to this camp that’s kind of slap in the face.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He should be dominating this week. 28 year old pro who’s worn a letter in the khl. I hope this was his idea. If the bruins told him to come to this camp that’s kind of slap in the face.

I agree with the previous poster to a large extent. The Dev Camp is not only a good chance to see skills, it’s also a good opportunity for a player to become familiar with the organization before training camp in the Fall.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I agree with the previous poster to a large extent. The Dev Camp is not only a good chance to see skills, it’s also a good opportunity for a player to become familiar with the organization before training camp in the Fall.

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney

Maybe. But I bet it has more to do with just wanting him to come over and get to know people, meet some teammates, skate a bit on an nhl sized rink, and just integrate into Boston life.

Reactions: Blowfish

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Maybe. But I bet it has more to do with just wanting him to come over and get to know people, meet some teammates, skate a bit on an nhl sized rink, and just integrate into Boston life.

Well if he’s out there doing power skating and running it’s a bit of a slight then

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
If he thinks he’s above power skating and running he’s in for a rude awakening and a one way ticket home.

The phrase no days off applies to Dev Camp.

I am excited to see him this week

I’m not sure what he thinks but I think 28 year old pros shouldn’t be out there training with teenagers. Development camp I thought was to teach these young guys what it takes and how to train. Bakos has been a pronfor a while, I’m sure he knows all of this

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’m not sure what he thinks but I think 28 year old pros shouldn’t be out there training with teenagers. Development camp I thought was to teach these young guys what it takes and how to train. Bakos has been a pronfor a while, I’m sure he knows all of this
It doesn't matter how old a player is. You are all part of a system and therefore, you train together.

Dev Camp is also more than just training.

They learn about the organization, what it means to be a Bruin, nutrition and they are evaluated and given things to work on in order to make it to Boston.

They may have asked him to come in in order to mentor the guys as well as get acclimated to the organization.

Reactions: Chief Nine

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

slap in the face? I get it, he`s 28, letter in the KHL but what`s that worth? He`s hardly a guy who has dominated the KHL for years or is known to be the best player not in the NHL. He`s JAG at this point and this camp, I would argue, is simply a way for him to get accustomed to the B`s organization, hardly a slap in the face

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
slap in the face? I get it, he`s 28, letter in the KHL but what`s that worth? He`s hardly a guy who has dominated the KHL for years or is known to be the best player not in the NHL. He`s JAG at this point and this camp, I would argue, is simply a way for him to get accustomed to the B`s organization, hardly a slap in the face

I think it’s strange that he’s going to be there at all. Can’t he get accustomed to the organization at training camp? I don’t see Trent frederic or Jesse Gabrielle at this camp and they barely have pro experience. Bakos has been a full time pro for 8 years in either Slovakia, the khl or Czech league. I just think it’s weird. It’ll be like house hockey out there for him probably

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think it’s strange that he’s going to be there at all. Can’t he get accustomed to the organization at training camp? I don’t see Trent frederic or Jesse Gabrielle at this camp and they barely have pro experience. Bakos has been a full time pro for 8 years in either Slovakia, the khl or Czech league. I just think it’s weird. It’ll be like house hockey out there for him probably

thought I heard Gabrielle was injured prior to the Mem Cup, can`t answer about Frederic. Again, this player hasn`t played one minute of pro hockey in NA, in a completely foreign city, gives him a chance to likely meet some coaches, see the city a bit, get accustomed to the way of life and then, get a taste of some NA hockey on smaller surfaces. I seem to remember Cross taking part in a load of Dev Camps

Reactions: Blowfish

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
thought I heard Gabrielle was injured prior to the Mem Cup, can`t answer about Frederic. Again, this player hasn`t played one minute of pro hockey in NA, in a completely foreign city, gives him a chance to likely meet some coaches, see the city a bit, get accustomed to the way of life and then, get a taste of some NA hockey on smaller surfaces. I seem to remember Cross taking part in a load of Dev Camps

Mostly due to the fact he took a post grad year and played 4 years at BC I think. I understand if bakos is going for those reasons. Meet the staff, check out the city, skate around a bit. But I hope they go to him during the conditioning stuff and tell him he’s not doing that and that’s not what he’s there for. If he does it anyway fine. I just want some level of hierarchy between a 28 year old pro And a 18 year old OJHL player when it comes to what’s expected of them this week. The 18 year old doesn’t know what it takes to be a pro. This guy does. This camp teaches pro training habits. Bakos already has those. So just let him skip the conditioning days and power skating drills and hang out with the training staff and coaches those days. I don’t see Bergeron at this camp in June.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Mostly due to the fact he took a post grad year and played 4 years at BC I think. I understand if bakos is going for those reasons. Meet the staff, check out the city, skate around a bit. But I hope they go to him during the conditioning stuff and tell him he’s not doing that and that’s not what he’s there for. If he does it anyway fine. I just want some level of hierarchy between a 28 year old pro And a 18 year old OJHL player when it comes to what’s expected of them this week. The 18 year old doesn’t know what it takes to be a pro. This guy does. This camp teaches pro training habits. Bakos already has those. So just let him skip the conditioning days and power skating drills and hang out with the training staff and coaches those days. I don’t see Bergeron at this camp in June.

Does he already have pro training habits? Is he above doing some conditioning? This isn`t Kovalchuk returning to the NHL with an already established body of work in NA. I think you may be over thinking this. There is nothing humiliating for a guy like this, with literally 0 experience with the NA game, it`s inner workings to be asked to come over, spend some time in Dev camp to get his feet wet, meet some potential teammates and put in some work. One could look at it from another angle, the B`s invite him to come over, show these kids what pro training habits look like? We don`t know

Either way, my guess is that the B`s asked/suggested it might be a great opportunity for him to come over and get an idea of what`s to come rather than it all be a huge culture shock in September and he took them up on this.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Why do you care about this so much? The guy is coming and so far as we know, has no problem with it. Why are you inventing an issue here?

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Why do you care about this so much? The guy is coming and so far as we know, has no problem with it. Why are you inventing an issue here?

You want some 28 year old stranger hanging around our young, easily influenced prospects? He's gonna have them smoking cigarettes and partying out late trying to be the 'cool older guy' and it's gonna lead to all sorts of detrimental effects that will haunt this franchise for decades! Probably try to convince some of them to come over and play in Europe with him. You just can't take this risk. :rolleyes:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Maybe Bakos was just offered the opportunity to arremd if he wished and he jump at the chance to do so, or maybe he asked to attend, no one knows for sure.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Never say I’m a homer. And by the accounts it looks like I was right...bakos shouldn’t be playing with these kids

Why shouldn't he be playing with these kids? This seems like nothing more than getting a new player in the organization a look and getting him acclimated. He's never played in North America, so he must not have much experience (if any) on the small ice surface. There's nothing wrong with having him here for this week. It's not a detriment to him. You're making this into something that it's not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad