Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign F Martin Bakos

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Why shouldn't he be playing with these kids? This seems like nothing more than getting a new player in the organization a look and getting him acclimated. He's never played in North America, so he must not have much experience (if any) on the small ice surface. There's nothing wrong with having him here for this week. It's not a detriment to him. You're making this into something that it's not.

I don’t think Roman cervenka or shipachyov or soderberg came to these type of camps

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Were any of these guys signed before the camp? You're really hell bent on these 'deep questions to ponder'....It's going to be a long offseason.

I’m not sure it’s a big deal. I just thInk it’s bizarre. And if bakos wanted to do it and approached Boston about it, great. But if Boston wanted him to do it, I’m just saying I’d be offended a little bit if I was him. Yes meeting the staff and all that is important. But couldn’t be just come to Boston and meet the staff? As a 28 year old person myself with 8 years in a professional field, if I moved to another state and my new company wanted me to go with all the trainees even if it was the same job I was doing for 8 years I’d think it was a little bit of a joke. I’d do it, but I’d bitch about it when I got home everyday to my wife about how it’s a waste of time for me to be in this room with all these 19 year olds who’ve never done the job before and I’m being lumped in with them even though I’ve been doing the exact same thing (with small variances) the last 8 years and I’m 28.

That’s all. It wouldn’t keep me from taking the job. And I’d probably not even be vocal about how I think it’s a little disrespectful (considering that’s not the first thing you’re employer wants to here from you). But on the inside I’d think it was a little bit of an insult.

Of course he could have stomped his feet about wanting to do development camp and Boston agreed. Impossible to know. And either way it’s not really a big deal. It’s just very weird to see a 28 year old pro running around learning about nutrition and training habits like nutrition and training habits don’t exist in the khl.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I’m not sure it’s a big deal. I just thInk it’s bizarre. And if bakos wanted to do it and approached Boston about it, great. But if Boston wanted him to do it, I’m just saying I’d be offended a little bit if I was him. Yes meeting the staff and all that is important. But couldn’t be just come to Boston and meet the staff? As a 28 year old person myself with 8 years in a professional field, if I moved to another state and my new company wanted me to go with all the trainees even if it was the same job I was doing for 8 years I’d think it was a little bit of a joke. I’d do it, but I’d ***** about it when I got home everyday to my wife about how it’s a waste of time for me to be in this room with all these 19 year olds who’ve never done the job before and I’m being lumped in with them even though I’ve been doing the exact same thing (with small variances) the last 8 years and I’m 28.

That’s all. It wouldn’t keep me from taking the job. And I’d probably not even be vocal about how I think it’s a little disrespectful (considering that’s not the first thing you’re employer wants to here from you). But on the inside I’d think it was a little bit of an insult.

Of course he could have stomped his feet about wanting to do development camp and Boston agreed. Impossible to know. And either way it’s not really a big deal. It’s just very weird to see a 28 year old pro running around learning about nutrition and training habits like nutrition and training habits don’t exist in the khl.

I’m pretty sure Bakos is extremely anxious and excited about this oppprtinity. I hardly doubt any of this is weird to him.

Reactions: Jablkon

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He's here to learn about the city and the organization, expectations, etc. Why you think this is an issue at all is really baffling.

exactly, this, IMO, has little to do with the B`s really assessing him at this point, all has to do with bringing him in early, meet some folks, get on the sheet at the practice facility etc....

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Joonas Kempainen was also signed as a Euro UFA at age 27 and attended development camp with the rookies.

What's the problem here? Bakos attending camp is mutually beneficial. He gets some extra ice time with the organization, meet players and staff and the Bruins get a peek at him leading up to training camp. If Bakos is "insulted" at being asked to skate with younger players, then that would be a major red flag.

These days especially, if a person was changing companies or careers, they should expect to jump into the trenches with younger recruits and earn their keep.

Reactions: Strafer

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I’m not sure it’s a big deal. I just thInk it’s bizarre. And if bakos wanted to do it and approached Boston about it, great. But if Boston wanted him to do it, I’m just saying I’d be offended a little bit if I was him. Yes meeting the staff and all that is important. But couldn’t be just come to Boston and meet the staff? As a 28 year old person myself with 8 years in a professional field, if I moved to another state and my new company wanted me to go with all the trainees even if it was the same job I was doing for 8 years I’d think it was a little bit of a joke. I’d do it, but I’d ***** about it when I got home everyday to my wife about how it’s a waste of time for me to be in this room with all these 19 year olds who’ve never done the job before and I’m being lumped in with them even though I’ve been doing the exact same thing (with small variances) the last 8 years and I’m 28.

I would never consider hiring a person with an attitude like that. So, if you end up changing careers later on in life...you might want to adjust your perspective.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I would never consider hiring a person with an attitude like that. So, if you end up changing careers later on in life...you might want to adjust your perspective.

Changing companies is different from changing careers. I’m an hvac technician. I’ve changed companies two times in 8 years. I never have to go through training when I move from one company to another. Any small difference can be explained in a single meeting or over the phone. But I don’t have to start all over again with training. Which is why I find it strange bakos has to. It’s not an issue. I just keep hearing about how hockey is a business and that isn’t typical business procedure. He’s already a pro, why is he with all the amateurs at “learn what it takes to be a pro week.” I don’t think it’s a problem, I think it’s just weird

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Changing companies is different from changing careers. I’m an hvac technician. I’ve changed companies two times in 8 years. I never have to go through training when I move from one company to another. Any small difference can be explained in a single meeting or over the phone. But I don’t have to start all over again with training. Which is why I find it strange bakos has to. It’s not an issue. I just keep hearing about how hockey is a business and that isn’t typical business procedure. He’s already a pro, why is he with all the amateurs at “learn what it takes to be a pro week.” I don’t think it’s a problem, I think it’s just weird

That's nice. Do you really think a move from Czech Extraliga to North American pro hockey is anything like switching HVAC tech jobs?

Bottom line, there will always be competition for jobs and it is always smart to be one step ahead of other candidates. It's no different in the NHL. If I am Bakos and I want to wear the spoked-B this season, I show up early and stay late.

Again, see Joonas Kempainen. It was the same exact situation for him. This is nothing new.

Also - the Bruins were one of the first teams in the NHL to utilize a development camp for their young prospects. It's a major aspect of their player development model. If the Bruins asked Bakos to attend, it is because they think it would benefit the player.

Do you still think it is weird? If anything, it makes a lot of sense given Bakos was never drafted and has never attended an NHL camp before.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
That's nice. Do you really think a move from Czech Extraliga to North American pro hockey is anything like switching HVAC tech jobs?

Bottom line, there will always be competition for jobs and it is always smart to be one step ahead of other candidates. It's no different in the NHL. If I am Bakos and I want to wear the spoked-B this season, I show up early and stay late.

Again, see Joonas Kempainen. It was the same exact situation for him. This is nothing new.

Also - the Bruins were one of the first teams in the NHL to utilize a development camp for their young prospects. It's a major aspect of their player development model. If the Bruins asked Bakos to attend, it is because they think it would benefit the player.

Do you still think it is weird? If anything, it makes a lot of sense given Bakos was never drafted and has never attended an NHL camp before.

To answer your first question. Yes I do. Pro Hockey is pro hockey. Whether that’s the khl or the Czech league or the nhl. I’m not sure how wind sprints get him used to playing on small ice. Yeah i still think it’s weird. But maybe the KHL and the Czech league don’t have training programs and nutrition lectures. If bakos can benefit from the development camp as a 28 year old who’s been a pro for 8 years, I think a case could be made for senyshyn and Frederic and jfk and Fitzgerald and debrusk and heinen and bjork and zboril and lauzon to all be in attendance as well since they’ve only been pros for 0, 1 or 2 years. Why aren’t they there? One year in the ahl basically graduates players from attending. Hell, 6 games in the ahl does. But all his time overseas training and eating and playing pro hockey basically mean less than a year in the American League. Maybe it’s true I just don’t get it

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
To answer your first question. Yes I do. Pro Hockey is pro hockey. Whether that’s the khl or the Czech league or the nhl. I’m not sure how wind sprints get him used to playing on small ice. Yeah i still think it’s weird. But maybe the KHL and the Czech league don’t have training programs and nutrition lectures. If bakos can benefit from the development camp as a 28 year old who’s been a pro for 8 years, I think a case could be made for senyshyn and Frederic and jfk and Fitzgerald and debrusk and heinen and bjork and zboril and lauzon to all be in attendance as well since they’ve only been pros for 0, 1 or 2 years. Why aren’t they there? One year in the ahl basically graduates players from attending. Hell, 6 games in the ahl does. But all his time overseas training and eating and playing pro hockey basically mean less than a year in the American League. Maybe it’s true I just don’t get it

I take it you've never travelled before.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

You are just sinking your teeth into this like a bulldog and won't let go. Why is this such a big issue in your mind? It isn't without precedent- Kemppainen did it, and there are lots of reasons some guys don't attend whatever their pro experience is- injury, college classes, whatever. Have you even considered that Martin Bakos wanted to come to the development camp? That he might be excited to come to an NHL training week and meet some of his new coaches and teammates?

Reactions: Chief Nine

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
You are just sinking your teeth into this like a bulldog and won't let go. Why is this such a big issue in your mind? It isn't without precedent- Kemppainen did it, and there are lots of reasons some guys don't attend whatever their pro experience is- injury, college classes, whatever. Have you even considered that Martin Bakos wanted to come to the development camp? That he might be excited to come to an NHL training week and meet some of his new coaches and teammates?

Yeah I considered it and said everything i’m saying is wrong if he wanted to attend the camp. And it isn’t a big issue I just think it’s crazy no one else is acknowledging how weird is it

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Yeah I considered it and said everything i’m saying is wrong if he wanted to attend the camp. And it isn’t a big issue I just think it’s crazy no one else is acknowledging how weird is it

They signed him less than two weeks ago, you don't think they discussed this at the time?

Likely they had a camp opening, asked him if he was interested and he said yes.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Okay fair enough- when I first heard it I thought it was a bit different that a player of his age was going to the "development" camp that is basically for young prospects, but thinking about it more, I don't see it as that weird given that Bakos never got drafted, has carved out a decent career in Slovakia and earned a once in a lifetime shot at playing in the best league in the world. I assumed he was super psyched about the whole thing and wanted to get his Bruin opportunity off to the strongest start possible.

Reactions: Jablkon

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Well you said pro hockey is pro hockey regardless of where its played. That speaks of someone who hasn't really experienced much outside of the US.

I haven’t experienced any pro hockey outside the United States but I’ve been to 4 European countries and all over Central America. I’m just not really sure what that has to do with anything. In fact i’d wager my experience outside the us is shaping my entire theory. People are people everywhere. Buildings are buildings. It takes a shockingly small amount of time to assimilate into other cultures and countries. I felt fully integrated into a danish, Belgian, and Irish and English way of life within 48 hours in each place. (Although I will say London is a little bit overwhelming compared to the other 3 places. I really don’t see what my traveling experience has to do with it though

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
They signed him less than two weeks ago, you don't think they discussed this at the time?

Likely they had a camp opening, asked him if he was interested and he said yes.

That’s weird to me. I just wouldn’t think an invitation would even be offered if that’s how it happened. If bakos went to Boston and said he wants to go to camp why not? But them extending an invite to a prospect camp is weird. After the camp was over didn’t a bunch of pros take the ice? Dumolin and Rodrigues and donato or something? I feel like he would have been more in his ability level if he just went on a working vacation to meet everyone and skate around with the guys after camp. It’s nit picky and I’ve talked more about this than I intended. I just thought it was weird and if Boston wanted him to go to prospect development camp it’s a little disrespectful to his pro career at that point despite the fact that he wasn’t drafted 10 years ago. But if he wanted to go and approached Boston about it, it’s not weird. Of course if your brand new boss asks if you want to do something you’re going to say yes. That’s kind of where the crux is. I don’t think they should have even asked.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
That’s weird to me. I just wouldn’t think an invitation would even be offered if that’s how it happened. If bakos went to Boston and said he wants to go to camp why not? But them extending an invite to a prospect camp is weird. After the camp was over didn’t a bunch of pros take the ice? Dumolin and Rodrigues and donato or something? I feel like he would have been more in his ability level if he just went on a working vacation to meet everyone and skate around with the guys after camp. It’s nit picky and I’ve talked more about this than I intended. I just thought it was weird and if Boston wanted him to go to prospect development camp it’s a little disrespectful to his pro career at that point despite the fact that he wasn’t drafted 10 years ago. But if he wanted to go and approached Boston about it, it’s not weird. Of course if your brand new boss asks if you want to do something you’re going to say yes. That’s kind of where the crux is. I don’t think they should have even asked.

Here is the last I have to say about this. I believe that if he didn't want to go to the camp, he wouldn't be there.

If he wants to make a good first impression good for him, he's most likely AHL bound as it is. He's not entitled to anything here because of playing over in Europe.

Who knows, maybe someone will ask him about it during the camp :laugh:

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->