Rumor: Bruins shopping Jake DeBrusk

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
The Bruins need to add to their top 6- Not subtract from it.

The only thing I don't like are the reports of what JDB is trying to get AAV (I've read 5 mil per in some places).

Sweeney has done very well with his RFAs. I'm sure he'll get things done here as well.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The fact your two top RWs have a combined zero NHL goals? Or the fact half of your defense has not shown the ability to hold down a job as an NHL #6?

And where did Carlo, Kase and Ritchie go? Traded off for someone who can help Bergeron, Krejci and Marchand try and win a cup in 2026?

I have a lot more confidence than you with Studnicka
riding shotgun with #63/#37 than you do.

Further Hall with Krejci is one hell of a second line
and you're getting your future #1 center you can put
at RW with Hall and Krejci. Are you seriously trying
to tell me that Marchand/Bergeron and Hall/Krejci
can't essentially carry Studnicka/Byfield? Come on
man they absolutely can. Studnicka absolute worst
case gives you Danton Heinen results with them.

Also you conveniently ignore a 3rd line that IMO
is the best in hockey in Tkachuk-Coyle-Bjork.

Then you go to D where adding AP has meant you have
added your teams #1 D man and Krug replacement on
the PP.

He becomes Boston's answer to HEDMAN. He is worth
the extra $3M over Krug easily.

You can trade Carlo for a first, maybe as high as 15th
to Edmonton. Oh yeah there is an expansion draft
coming up. If Boston does nothing they lose one of
Gryz or Lauzon for NOTHING. So you move Gryz and Kase and need be a 2nd rd pick to NJ for another 1st rounder.

These moves give you enough cap space to still add a veteran top 6 RW at the deadline (Palmieri).

Two of Sweeney's greatest strengths have been evaluating D and contract negotiations. So
you leverage Vaak, Lauzon, Clifton and Chara
contracts because they are great
value in your top 6 D. Those 6 cost you
18.7M.

4 of those 6 D played in the SC Finals
last year. Lauzon played this year against TB
and didn't embarrass himself. So now your D
has one D man under 6 feet and added
a 6:03 absolute stud on D.

It also gives them two very young impact forwards
in Byfield and Tkachuk. They would become part
of your near future corp with AP,
McAvoy, Lauzon, Vaak, Marchand, Hall,
Coyle and Studnicka. Add three #1 picks
between 2020 and 2021 potentially and
you transitiond from the old core as well
as possible.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
And what percentage of those points for Nurse come playing with McJesus? Just a bad faith argument on your part.

Come on, that's a lazy argument on your part. I suppose Debrusk doesn't have any good players to play with on the President's Trophy Bruins?

Nurse also generates all of his offense at EV since he gets very little power play time. (Debrusk has more than 2X more)

Anyway, none of this is to say Nurse is elite offensively, he isn't. And maybe that's my point: this (non-elite offensively) defenseman is still scoring as much as your winger (and certainly impacting the game in other areas more, given he's on the ice 23+ minutes mostly at EV and PK).

Nurse is a year and a half older. He's a defenseman, borderline top pairing, just barely entering his prime. Debrusk is a 2nd line winger, perhaps top line potential... perhaps. Zero chance Bruins wouldn't be adding to Debrusk if they want Nurse.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Think they will be looking at Hall for sure if they are moving this kid...Otherwise it really doesnt make sense as so many Bruins fans have said....A sniper like Hall on the 2nd line would be pretty bad for the east

Reactions: Coach Parker

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Come on, that's a lazy argument on your part. I suppose Debrusk doesn't have any good players to play with on the President's Trophy Bruins?

Nurse also generates all of his offense at EV since he gets very little power play time. (Debrusk has more than 2X more)

Anyway, none of this is to say Nurse is elite offensively, he isn't. And maybe that's my point: this (non-elite offensively) defenseman is still scoring as much as your winger (and certainly impacting the game in other areas more, given he's on the ice 23+ minutes mostly at EV and PK).

Nurse is a year and a half older. He's a defenseman, borderline top pairing, just barely entering his prime. Debrusk is a 2nd line winger, perhaps top line potential... perhaps. Zero chance Bruins wouldn't be adding to Debrusk if they want Nurse.

See the thing is...I don’t think you and I disagree on trade value. I just get annoyed when Nurse is passed off as something he isn’t offensively. I honestly think playing in a system with structure like Boston’s as the #2 to McAvoy and DeBrusk getting away from “slow it down” Krejci and whatever 4th liner the Bruins have at RW would fit both their games way better.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Think they will be looking at Hall for sure if they are moving this kid...Otherwise it really doesnt make sense as so many Bruins fans have said....A sniper like Hall on the 2nd line would be pretty bad for the east

I think DeBrusk’s agent is asking for the moon and Boston is thinking they would rather get assets and a UFA rather than commit to DeBrusk at a price they don’t like.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think DeBrusk’s agent is asking for the moon and Boston is thinking they would rather get assets and a UFA rather than commit to DeBrusk at a price they don’t like.
Could be that as well,its going to be very interesting to see what Boston does...They are obviously still looking to win a cup,so they will make a big move or two to fix some areas for sure

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
See the thing is...I don’t think you and I disagree on trade value. I just get annoyed when Nurse is passed off as something he isn’t offensively. I honestly think playing in a system with structure like Boston’s as the #2 to McAvoy and DeBrusk getting away from “slow it down” Krejci and whatever 4th liner the Bruins have at RW would fit both their games way better.

Fair enough. Nurse is definitely not an elite offensive defenseman, that I agree. But he is nevertheless effective, because he is 1) an absolutely elite skater, and 2) safe with the puck offensively, very vlasic-non-flashy with his distribution. He just hits the open guy or throws a wrister through traffic to let it happen. Coaches dream offensively in that regard and thus he generates 5v5 offense simply by keeping the puck moving in the right direction and maintaining possession.

You certainly can't expect him to be your PP QB or primary PMD, on that we agree. Nevertheless, I doubt he's less than a 35 point guy wherever he goes... and never more than 45, if that makes sense.

Like many Edmonton fans, I'm a big DeBrusk fan due to the feel good story. I do think Nurse would be an overpay though and so I'd be asking "what else?".

There was an interesting idea above of throwing in rights to Krug, that is somewhat intriguing, but I haven't followed along with what he wants. Is he expecting $7M? we probably can't afford him if that is the case.... so we'd probably be looking at picks/prospects, since I don't think you want to eat any salary.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
Debrusk would make a great third line player. But he’s not a guy you should be giving second line duties. Incredibly frustrating player.
yup he and kase should be dropped to 3rd line with coyle. add lw rw free agents for krejci and we are all set. even if we lose krug and chara we have d. 2nd line needs to be recreated. jdb is a good young talent move him to 3rd line not another team.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wonder if something around Schmaltz and DeBrusk makes sense. Supposedly the Hawks were discussing that same deal before moving him to Arizona.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I wonder if something around Schmaltz and DeBrusk makes sense. Supposedly the Hawks were discussing that same deal before moving him to Arizona.

I'm a Nick Schmaltz fan but that is a rich contract.

Given his odd salary structure, I'd imagine Arizona would be more inclined to trade him next year in the offseason. Then again, if he has a bad year (I don't think he will) then he would be really hard to move.

Nick Schmaltz - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

In any case, I love the player, I just don't know if there's a deal to be made there.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I guess if Boston (as the title says) shopping DeBrusk. To me its just click-bait for writers to generate views and sell ad space. Seems more like taking a few events/comments and trying to connect dots that really aren't there. What do I mean by that:

DeBrusk is an RFA so naturally he's an easy target to speculate on
EDM radio guy says DeBrusk is worth $6 million (his opinion is irrelevant)
DeBrusk agent says they won't take a hometown discount, but in the next sentence says they wouldn't rule it out
Sweeney says in a presser that "We're looking to make changes"

I'd say that Boston is probably listening to offers on anyone not named Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, McAvoy because that's what GM's do. Is Boston listening to offers on DeBrusk? probably, why wouldn't they if a move can be made to improve the team. Are they actively shopping him aka looking to move him? no, their preference is to re-sign one of their better 5v5 goal scorers....an area where they have struggled recently.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Ya thankfully you have a guy at the desk who passed on Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Konecny etc. Don’t worry, he’s a great GM. Yay Donny.
Ya the players mentioned were passed over anywhere from 15 to 24 times, the draft is a crap shoot, always has been always will be.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
How would Bruins fans feel about a Devon Toews - Debrusk swap?

Nah. Cuz it’s not just DeBrusk for Toews, it also means the Bruins expose Gryz in expansion. Losing DeBrusk and then losing a guy in a similar tier as Toews (no need for us to argue exactly how much who is better, not the point) means the Bruins give away DeBrusk for minimal benefit. If Bruins move DeBrusk for D, it has to be a D good enough for them not to care about moving Gryz in a depressed market because of expansion or losing him for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad