Rumor: Bruins shopping Jake DeBrusk

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The problem with trading DeBrusk to fix the hole at no. 2 RW is that it would create just as big of a hole at no. 2 LW.

Yeah but it would have to be part of a larger shakeup. They aren’t just moving DeBrusk and saying the offseason is over. Bruins clearly with lots of fires in the burner right now looking for a shakeup.

What isn’t clear is what direction they are going. Are they trying to go for it all the way now and use some of the young talent to add more proven guys? Are they trying to just move chairs around to change the make up of the team? Are they trying to move out guys like they did with Hamilton and Lucic and strike on the 2020 draft to try to have more young talent come up when Pasta and McAvoy hit their prime? Are guys like Krejci or Rask low key in the table as well? Are they going to make a run at AP or Hall?

Who the f*** knows.

We do know that both Sweeney and Neely noted at the end of season press conferences that they needed more offense from the blue line, even if it meant sacrificing some defense. We all assumed that meant “bye bye Chara”...but maybe it means “bye bye Carlo”. We also know they both said that the playoffs were different than the regular season and that they needed the ability in the forward group to “get inside more” and get more dirty goals...also goes the other way. Tampa scored most of their goals on tips and deflections.

So my guess is they want to move away from having three smurfs in the D group (even if Krug and Clifton don’t play like smurfs), they want to add guys that can get their shot thru on the blue line, and they want to add size to the group up front.

I just hope that last statement doesn’t lead us into another Backes, Beleksey, Hayes type move.

What wasn’t clear is if they are going for it, retooling or some magical hybrid half measure approach. They only said they had to be brutally honest.

Now...looping this all back to DeBrusk. It’s clear that the team thinks DeBrusk has more to offer. He is inconsistent with finish and inconsistent with his skating game and inconsistent with getting into dirty areas. Is part of the team being brutally honest not wanting to give him a contract based on projection because they want to win now? Plausible. Could also be a negotiating strategy to push him into a bridge deal. Could also be a “well, if we sign Hall or do other deal X, moving DeBrusk makes sense for other reasons.”

Hard to say with so much up in the air. Only thing that is certain is that this is Sweeney’s biggest offseason since 2015, one he did not do well with, and his job will ultimately be tied to what this offseason accomplishes.

Last edited:

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Yeah but it would have to be part of a larger shakeup.
Thanks, that’s a very insightful post, even if the message is “who knows”.
I think it would be a shame not to try and go for it, when you have arguably the best line in hockey signed for 20M per year. That’s a great basis for any team. But obviously, they need to improve the team to match Tampa, who will be waiting for them again in the second round most likely. I don’t have any great ideas on what they should do, so it’s a good thing I am not the one getting paid for it.

Reactions: wintersej

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
DeBrusk is the type of player I’d love to see beside Tavares, opposite Marner.

Im surprised Boston is considering moving him. Figured he’d be of the next era for them

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If the Bruins did sign Hall that does not mean you need to move DeBrusk. I have been saying along I would like to see DeBrusk play with Coyle. They do need a RW but I do not want to trade DeBrusk unless it is a huge gain and I don't see that happening...........DeBrusk could always move over to the right side if needed. I would look to move Kase who has shown me a big fat nothing,and use Studnicka with K rechi and Hall.......

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Is Debrusk in Edmonton yet ? (Well technically yes he is but... you know what I mean)

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Im surprised Boston is considering moving him. Figured he’d be of the next era for them

Same but it makes sense if Hall is indeed in the picture. As good as DeBrusk is, he would be the #3LW behind Marchand and Hall. If he is asking for 4-5 million, do you not shop him while he has maximum value?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If the Bruins did sign Hall that does not mean you need to move DeBrusk. I have been saying along I would like to see DeBrusk play with Coyle. They do need a RW but I do not want to trade DeBrusk unless it is a huge gain and I don't see that happening...........DeBrusk could always move over to the right side if needed. I would look to move Kase who has shown me a big fat nothing,and use Studnicka with K rechi and Hall.......

This is also a great option for scoring:

Hall - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - (Bjork, Studnicka, Senyshyn, acquired player)
DeBrusk - Coyle - Kase
Kuraly - Wagner - Frederic
Lindholm

Reactions: Skelen

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

On an island, agreed. But maybe you value bringing in some LD help over DeBrusk on the 3rd line. Kinda depends on what they think of the Gryz, Zboril, Lauzon, Vaak and Moore group.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

He should be.

With a proper 2nd line RW I bet Debrusk gets much less criticism. It's been a two player line for too long and it definitely means Krejci and Debrusk each fall short on their potential.

Could a deal around Virtanen work?

How would this help the Bruins?

Reactions: Skelen

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
He should be.

With a proper 2nd line RW I bet Debrusk gets much less criticism. It's been a two player line for too long and it definitely means Krejci and Debrusk each fall short on their potential.

How would this help the Bruins?

It wouldn't. While both players are painfully inconsistent, DeBrusk at least has the excuse of the Kadri hit. He was one of the Bruins best player leading up to that injury and just hasn't been the same since. Had the season not gotten interrupted, who knows if he would have found his game - and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Virtanen...is simply an underachiever. Bruins do not need/want a player like him. We already have Nick Ritchie to fill that "role".

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is Debrusk in Edmonton yet ? (Well technically yes he is but... you know what I mean)

Trouble is I can't see Boston trading DeBrusk without a significant piece going back, and the closest ones with value that we have I wouldn't trade for him (RNH, Klef, Nurse). Broberg's looking unbelievable. Bouchard we need too much. So unless we can put something together around 14 I doubt it happens.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
On an island, agreed. But maybe you value bringing in some LD help over DeBrusk on the 3rd line. Kinda depends on what they think of the Gryz, Zboril, Lauzon, Vaak and Moore group.
I do not think of of Coyle and DeBrusk together as a third line I know it would appear that way, but Krechi only has one more year on his present contract so you do not know where that goes. Keeping DeBrusk gives you depth and insurance if Studnicka looks like he could take a center spot when Krechis gone so be it. I would prefer not to trade for a LD , but maybe look at Brandon Dillon FA and see how Vankanein and Zobril work out............As far as Virtanien goes I would try and work some other deal for him he would be a nice piece to have on the right side.I know Josh Anderson has a rough year with injuries and all but and Virtanen are and might be worth taking a chance on. The Bruins need some size and speed up front and on the back end that is why I mentioned these players......

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I do not think of of Coyle and DeBrusk together as a third line I know it would appear that way, but Krechi only has one more year on his present contract so you do not know where that goes. Keeping DeBrusk gives you depth and insurance if Studnicka looks like he could take a center spot when Krechis gone so be it. I would prefer not to trade for a LD , but maybe look at Brandon Dillon FA and see how Vankanein and Zobril work out............As far as Virtanien goes I would try and work some other deal for him he would be a nice piece to have on the right side.I know Josh Anderson has a rough year with injuries and all but and Virtanen are and might be worth taking a chance on. The Bruins need some size and speed up front and on the back end that is why I mentioned these players......

Yeah, don't disagree with anything here specifically, just think that any of the moves you make obviously effect the next one and knowing what these guys are worth and getting these things lined up now helps you avoid situations like the "series of moves" that never happened after Boychuk and the moves that didn't happen when Sweeney thought he was going to parlay all those 2015 draft picks. I'm hoping this is just "lesson learned" behavior from Sweeney and he is doing his due diligence on all the scenarios.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad