Rumor: Bruins - Sharks

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Thornton + Dillon for BOS 1ST? Maybe a small add from Boston's side as well?

I don't see how the Sharks could take back Backes. They're loaded with big money deals to aging players as it is...
Lol a little add by Boston for two players that likely couldn’t crack the Bruins lineup today, yeah, great deal, let’s add McAvoy to make it even.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Ah okay misunderstood but I still don’t agree at all. To say Dillon isn’t good when he’s a top 4 D, that’s that same as me saying Carlo isn’t good.

That’s the point.... there’s nothing on Boston outside of those two that get you Meier.

As another third party observer, I agree, San Jose would be crazy to trade Meier for anything short of a haul. He has a ton of upside.

Fortunately, this is coming from a "HFboards approved insider".

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
People keep mentioning Meier but to be fair our insider never mentioned that name or any name for that matter afaik. Thornton and Dillon are the only names I've seen mentioned from Boston media speculation.

I think Meier is wishful thinking by some fans here.

He was named specifically and not by wishful fans.

It may not happen but that is who Boston wants and the Sharks are at least entertaining the notion with a back and forth.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Ah okay misunderstood but I still don’t agree at all. To say Dillon isn’t good when he’s a top 4 D, that’s that same as me saying Carlo isn’t good.

Dillon wouldn't be a top 4 on the Bruins. Not saying he's terrible and he would be a nice 6th or 7th defenseman but he more than likely isn't cracking the bruins top 6 unless someone else is moved out.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Dillon wouldn't be a top 4 on the Bruins. Not saying he's terrible and he would be a nice 6th or 7th defenseman but he more than likely isn't cracking the bruins top 6 unless someone else is moved out.
Great. Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns, and Vlasic can’t all play on the top pair. All are still top pairing D. Just because you think (Cause I don’t agree but that doesn’t really matter) he wouldn’t be in your top 4 doesn’t mean he’s not a top 4 D.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
After seeing the Zucker deal, Meier would cost a lot.

Zucker is older, and Meier has already had a better season than him. Both will have 3 years left after this.

Sharks should hold onto Meier.

Reactions: themelkman

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
People keep mentioning Meier but to be fair our insider never mentioned that name or any name for that matter afaik. Thornton and Dillon are the only names I've seen mentioned from Boston media speculation.

I think Meier is wishful thinking by some fans here.

“not Kane” is the only name that was said.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
When/Where?

I don't see him specifically mentioned

Problem is the talk about Meier etc was created here.I have not saw one credible media person say a peep about them with Boston being a potential .

This is also the place the Brayden Schenn talk started and was within a whisker of happening, is it not?

Dom doesn't exactly say its Meier, but this I would pretty much say, say's its Meier without exactly saying its Meier.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
“not Kane” is the only name that was said.

Dom said Thornton isn't the only name in the deal. So there's 1 name. And there was a Boston media article mentioning Thornton and Dillon. So you are incorrect.

Dom doesn't exactly say its Meier, but this I would pretty much say, say's its Meier without exactly saying its Meier.

Dom is also known to stir the pot from time to time. This isn't close enough to a confirmation to give a definitive yes on Meier rumors.

All that can be confirmed is Boston and SJ are talking.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Bruins fans are underrating Dillon. Sharks fans are underrating the Bruins non-Studnicka prospects.

I like the fit of a Dillon type on the Bruins and i think it's needed for this playoff run. Lauzon might change that line of thinking but Dillon has a longer track record and Lauzon is a rookie still making his mark. I want to see insurance incase Lauzon shits the bed in the playoffs and injuries start to happen or if we are in a series that requires bigger dmen.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Dom said Thornton isn't the only name in the deal. So there's 1 name. And there was a Boston media article mentioning Thornton and Dillon. So you are incorrect.

Dom is also known to stir the pot from time to time. This isn't close enough to a confirmation to give a definitive yes on Meier rumors.

All that can be confirmed is Boston and SJ are talking.

Dom who the info comes from responds to a poster about the credibility of Meier possibly coming to Boston by countering with the info he gave about Schenn last year that turned out to be true, know if it wasn't Meier, I believe Dom would acted a little different in saying no one ever said it was Meier, but I guess we can all have are own take on it.

Sounds like Meier too me.

22Brad Park said:
"Problem is the talk about Meier etc was created here.I have not saw one credible media person say a peep about them with Boston being a potential ."

lost peanut said:
"This is also the place the Brayden Schenn talk started and was within a whisker of happening, is it not?"
OHL Writers
Dominic Tiano (@dominictiano) | Twitter

Last edited:

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Labanc would be a good fit on Boston. Sharks can also fit Backes under the cap next season.

Labanc + (someone to help Backes fit under Sharks current cap) for Backes + 1st + ?

Horrible for the Sharks. Labanc can fetch a late 1st by himself without having to take back Backes and you want the Sharks to add another asset?

Reactions: Gecklund

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A Sharks fan offered Dillon and Melker a Karlsson at half for two second round picks. Would Joe be a reasonable substitute for Karlsson? Would value be up, down or close?

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Could they be talking about one of the Sharks big dollar D men? Karlsson or Burns or Vlasic for futures with Backes thrown in to help with cap space.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The inclusion of Meier makes this rumor silly. Meier is a young 30 goal scorer who is better than any prospect or pick the Bruins can send back. you don't trade 23 year old power forwards who can score 30 goals for a pick that likely ends up worse.

Thornton, Dillon? Sure I can assume they are being shopped.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Horrible for the Sharks. Labanc can fetch a late 1st by himself without having to take back Backes and you want the Sharks to add another asset?
That's why I included the other + on Boston's end. Obviously that plus can be more, but I'm not a Boston fan so I'm not going to judge their prospects. If it's Melker Karlsson going to Boston, the + will be different then if it was Brendan Dillon.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Thornton, Dillon and Meier, plus SJ takes Backes, for something around a late 1st?

This one smells fishy.
He never said it was all of them together. He said ‘names ranging from...’

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Could they be talking about one of the Sharks big dollar D men? Karlsson or Burns or Vlasic for futures with Backes thrown in to help with cap space.

Chara- McAvoy
Krug- Carlo
Grzelcyk- Lauzon
Moore - Clifton
Vaakanainen

Does that really look such a major weakness?
Everyone knows Boston's weakness, and would D be beyond stupid to ignore it to add another expensive D-man and killing the hoped of addressing it on the spot.

Reactions: DKH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad