Rumor: Bruins - Sharks

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Thornton, Dillon and Meier, plus SJ takes Backes, for something around a late 1st?

This one smells fishy.

I'm confused, are you actually proposing that first part of the deal?

Edit: nm, I see you are combining all the ideas from OP

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
David Backes, it's not your fault.......it's not your fault.......it's not your fault.....

Reactions: Taluss

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Kane would be nasty in Boston but no chance they take that albatross of a player/contract.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Can someone quote the exact post from the #boardinsider on the Bruins board? Just for context.

Post #303 from the Bruins trade rumors thread:

Not my story to tell, but I will say this:

The fella that had the Johansson deal last year 2 days before it happened, tells me they are negotiating hard with San Jose.

It's a back and forth between the Devils and the Sharks right now. Or who knows, maybe both.

lost peanut is a vetted source.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Post #303 from the Bruins trade rumors thread:

lost peanut is a vetted source.

There's more out there as well. This is very legit speculation/rumor. Whether or not things go down or different names are included is anyone's guess.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Bruins don’t have the pieces for Meier unless the Sharks are adding for Pastrnak or McAvoy. I could see something like Dillon+Thornton for 1st+good prospect+Backes though basically Thornton for Backes+1st and a good prospect for Dillon.

I hope our GM thinks differently.

There is no need for Dillon, he is not good.

Thornton as a 4C is understandable but not valuable.

A deal for Meier, if it were to happen, could certainly be arranged without a #1 defenseman or a top 10 winger in return.

The Bruins need to focus on getting a good winger and perhaps a depth defenseman who likely will not play very much and will not cost 'a good prospect'.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Can we just simplify? Thornton @ 50% for a conditional 2020 6th rounder (condition = Thornton plays in a playoff game).

Sharks don't do this for value reasons --- they do it to give Jumbo the best shot at a cup.
Bruins do this for depth reasons, e.g., if one of their C's gets injured, they'll have a great 4th liner/serviceable 3rd liner ready.

Yes? Or naw?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Can someone quote the exact post from the #boardinsider on the Bruins board? Just for context.

I don't usually visit other team boards or the main boards, especially to "defend" anything I may have said on the Bruins board.

@Gee Wally and @Fenway are two mods there that I talk to before I post anything like this, even though they tell me I don't need there permission.

I went through the same thing last year with Blues fans after I posted the Bruins were in heavy discussions with the Blues on Brayden Schenn. I showed both those mods the text messages from a very good friend high enough up in the Blues org that would have known about it. It wasn't until Schenn himself confirmed he thought a deal with Boston was done that the flak stopped.

I won't name names, but there are discussions going on.

I'll leave it at that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I hope our GM thinks differently.

There is no need for Dillon, he is not good.

Thornton as a 4C is understandable but not valuable.

A deal for Meier, if it were to happen, could certainly be arranged without a #1 defenseman or a top 10 winger in return.

The Bruins need to focus on getting a good winger and perhaps a depth defenseman who likely will not play very much and will not cost 'a good prospect'.
Thornton is a 3C and Dillon is a top 4 D. Saying either aren’t good is just wrong. Saying your team doesn’t need them is fine but to say they aren’t good is just flat out wrong.

Meier isn’t on the table is the thing. Why do we trade a top line winger that is young for less than extreme overpayment?

Reactions: Sandisfan

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Lots of talk and speculation ( some of it from our sources on the Bruins board that have been well vetted over the years ) that the Bruins and Sharks are heavy into talks, with names ranging from Thornton, Dillon, and Meier on the table.

Apparently the 1st is on the table from the Bruins, as well as the Sharks taking Backes. What else would the Sharks be looking for from the Bruins in a potential trade?

More like Backes a first for nobody from the sharks, future considerations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad