Rumor: Bruins - Sharks

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Doesn't seem likely, but allright i'll bite.

Dealing Meier makes a bit more sense (not much more) if the Sharks are stuck with Labanc in terms of DW promising him a future deal after he took that 1M contract. There's only so much cap room to go around.

You'd think the Sharks needed a forward back though.. maybe Bjork then? Heinen also seems pretty redundant with Meier in the fold. I also remember Cassidy talking few times about how the 3rd pair was a bit small in size last year with guys like Grzelcyk and Clifton playing there. Maybe a Dillon Grzelcyk swap?

There's definitely the pieces there for a mega deal, with the Sharks giving up the best player but improving their depth for the future as well as receiving future assets .

Meier and Labanc make a combined 7M right now. Labanc's new deal + Bjork + Heinen + Grzelcyk would probably make it something like 9M combined next year so it's pretty close.

And then there's Backes (although in terms of cap, it's counterintuitive for the Sharks but also adds to the value the Bruins have to add). Bruins could retain on him as much as they can to soften the cap burden for the Sharks next year (but still helps out the B's compared to the space he takes now). Sharks could in return retain on Dillon to make things work cap-wise because they don't care about the cap this year anymore.

Bjork
Heinen
Grzelcyk
1st rounder
+ another pick/prospect

Decent haul for the Sharks, although they'd still be giving up the best player which is not ideal if they want to bounce back.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Meier
Kuraly - Coyle - Kuhlman
Nordstrom - Lindholm - Wagner

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Dillon - Clifton
Moore

Looks good.

With 50% retained on Backes, and a hypothetical 83M salary cap next year, the Bruins would have ~20M to sign DeBrusk, Kuhlman, Krug, Chara/Dillon and a backup goalie to bring back basically the same team. Sounds doable for sure.

Sharks improve team depth with Bjork/Heinen/Grzelcyk, get the 1st they want and by my calculations would have just about enough cap space next summer to sign a top 6 forward (Hoffman, Kreider?) to replace Meier, could potentially make a pitch for Hall too if they're able to dump Backes somewhere else.

Im brainstorming here.. but meh. The outcome on giving up Meier would really depend on how the FA goes for the Sharks and you can never rely on anything. So, risky business.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
S

Dealing Meier makes a bit more sense (not much more) if the Sharks are stuck with Labanc in terms of DW promising him a future deal after he took that 1M contract. There's only so much cap room to go around.

You'd think the Sharks needed a forward back though.. maybe Heinen then? He seems pretty redundant with Meier in the fold. I also remember Cassidy talking few times about how the 3rd pair was a bit small in size last year with guys like Grzelcyk and Clifton playing there. Maybe a Dillon Grzelcyk swap?

There's definitely the pieces there for a mega deal, with the Sharks giving up the best player but improving their depth for the future as well as receiving future assets .

Meier and Labanc make a combined 7M right now. Labanc's new deal + Heinen + Grzelcyk would probably make it something like 8M combined next year so it's close to =/=.

And then there's Backes (although in terms of cap, it's counterintuitive for the Sharks but also adds to the value the Bruins have to add). Bruins could retain on him as much as they can to soften the cap burden for the Sharks next year (but still helps out the B's compared to the space he takes now). Sharks could in return retain on Dillon to make things work cap-wise because they don't care about the cap this year anymore.

Heinen
Grzelcyk
1st rounder
+ another pick and prospect (maybe even a roster player like Kuhlman)

Decent haul for the Sharks, although they'd still be giving up the best player which is not ideal if they want to bounce back.

DeBrusk - Krejci - Meier
Kuraly - Coyle - Bjork

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Dillon - Clifton
Moore

Looks good.

With 50% retained on Backes, and a hypothetical 83M salary cap next year, the Bruins would have ~20M to sign DeBrusk, Bjork, Kuhlman, Krug, Chara/Dillon and a backup goalie to bring back basically the same team. Sounds doable for sure.

Sharks improve team depth with Heinen/Grzelcyk, get the 1st they want and by my calculations would have just about enough cap space next summer to sign a top 6 forward (Hoffman, Kreider?) to replace Meier, could potentially make a pitch for Hall too if they're able to dump Backes somewhere else.

Kane - Couture - UFA
Heinen - Hertl - Labanc

Tough to name other forwards since there's a bunch of potential young guys making the team next year, but who can't say.

EK/Burns/Vlasic/Grzelcyk/Ferraro

Im brainstorming here.. but meh. The outcome on giving up Meier would really depend on how the FA goes for the Sharks and you can never rely on anything. So, risky business.
Sharks won’t move Meier for that.

Reactions: Groo

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

You'd think the Sharks needed a forward back though.. maybe Bjork then? Heinen also seems pretty redundant with Meier in the fold. I also remember Cassidy talking few times about how the 3rd pair was a bit small in size last year with guys like Grzelcyk and Clifton playing there. Maybe a Dillon Grzelcyk swap?

Meier and Labanc make a combined 7M right now. Labanc's new deal + Heinen + Grzelcyk would probably make it something like 8M combined next year so it's close to =/=.

Bjork
Heinen
Grzelcyk
1st rounder
+ another pick/prospect

DeBrusk - Krejci - Meier
Kuraly - Coyle - Kuhlman

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Dillon - Clifton
Moore

Looks good.

With 50% retained on Backes, and a hypothetical 83M salary cap next year, the Bruins would have ~20M to sign DeBrusk, Kuhlman, Krug, Chara/Dillon and a backup goalie to bring back basically the same team. Sounds doable for sure.

Sharks improve team depth with Heinen/Grzelcyk, get the 1st they want and by my calculations would have just about enough cap space next summer to sign a top 6 forward (Hoffman, Kreider?) to replace Meier, could potentially make a pitch for Hall too if they're able to dump Backes somewhere else.

I dont move Meier himself without Studnicka coming back in the deal, or Debrusk

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I don't usually visit other team boards or the main boards, especially to "defend" anything I may have said on the Bruins board.

@Gee Wally and @Fenway are two mods there that I talk to before I post anything like this, even though they tell me I don't need there permission.

I went through the same thing last year with Blues fans after I posted the Bruins were in heavy discussions with the Blues on Brayden Schenn. I showed both those mods the text messages from a very good friend high enough up in the Blues org that would have known about it. It wasn't until Schenn himself confirmed he thought a deal with Boston was done that the flak stopped.

I won't name names, but there are discussions going on.

I'll leave it at that.

This poster has been vetted.
I have personally seen some of the correspondence being referred to over a number of years.

He is an approved ‘insider’ here at HF.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Meier? Why not?

If the Sharks decide they are not winning anything the next three years anyway, and he is up for an expensive new deal in 2023, because of the special way his RFA deal is constructed (QO), might as well trade him now for two 1st + a good prospect or something along those lines, and try to win again after 2023.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Thornton is a 3C and Dillon is a top 4 D. Saying either aren’t good is just wrong. Saying your team doesn’t need them is fine but to say they aren’t good is just flat out wrong.

Meier isn’t on the table is the thing. Why do we trade a top line winger that is young for less than extreme overpayment?

Bergeron--Kreci- Coyle.

It would be stupid to move Coyle on the wing from his better position because of Thornton.
Which I would assume is what the post suggested.

Reactions: BHD

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I dont move Meier himself without Studnicka coming back in the deal, or Debrusk

I imagine the Bruins wouldn't have any prospects unavailable, but Debrusk would be counter productive for acquiring Meier.

Thornton is a 3C and Dillon is a top 4 D. Saying either aren’t good is just wrong. Saying your team doesn’t need them is fine but to say they aren’t good is just flat out wrong.

Meier isn’t on the table is the thing. Why do we trade a top line winger that is young for less than extreme overpayment?

I did not say they are not 'good'.

Thornton would be a good 4C behind Bergeron, Krejci, and Coyle and would shift Kuraly to winger. I do not know if he is worth whatever assets it might cost is my point.

Dillon is not a top 4 defenseman however. He'd battle for #6 with Moore/Clifton/Lauzon. I have no interest in him.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Thornton + Dillon for BOS 1ST? Maybe a small add from Boston's side as well?

I don't see how the Sharks could take back Backes. They're loaded with big money deals to aging players as it is...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I imagine the Bruins wouldn't have any prospects unavailable, but Debrusk would be counter productive for acquiring Meier.

I did not say they are not 'good'.

Thornton would be a good 4C behind Bergeron, Krejci, and Coyle and would shift Kuraly to winger. I do not know if he is worth whatever assets it might cost is my point.

Dillon is not a top 4 defenseman however. He'd battle for #6 with Moore/Clifton/Lauzon. I have no interest in him.
You did say they are not good. It’s the very first thing you said. Again bad fit, fine saying they’re bad, wrong.

Reactions: themelkman

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
if the sharks are taking on backes the 1st is strictly for that reason, look at the canes leafs trade for marleau, same idea..

What if the Bruins retain on Backes, what if they take cap back, What if the Bruins just kept him out of the trade and he is bought out in the offseason.

Those are all What Ifs the Leafs did not have when they traded Marleau hence the inflated price.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
if the sharks are taking on backes the 1st is strictly for that reason, look at the canes leafs trade for marleau, same idea..

Paying to get rid of Backes ..... s but Boston isn't desperate to trade him like the Leafs were.

Backes if he goes should go in a singular trade where they at the same time fix the 2nd line.

Reactions: wintersej

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What if the Bruins retain on Backes, what if they take cap back, What if the Bruins just kept him out of the trade and he is bought out in the offseason.

Those are all What Ifs the Leafs did not have when they traded Marleau hence the inflated price.

I think the allure to do a Backes deal is gone for the Sharks if negotiations fell to doing whatever Boston wants to do to prevent them from forking over to the Sharks a 1st round pick or an equivalent like Studnicka or another similarly valued prospect. I think it may be possible for Boston to find a deal like that for them if it works for them to retain but I think the Sharks would bow out at that point. The Sharks would be doing it for that 1st or similarly valued asset. I don't think they'd tie up their limited cap space to Backes for a 2nd or some similarly lesser asset.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I just dont see anything the sharks should want for Meier unless they want just a boatload of stuff. Studnicka, Beecher and that 2020 first are all okay stuff but Id rather get one really good asset then those three decent ones.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
You did say they are not good. It’s the very first thing you said. Again bad fit, fine saying they’re bad, wrong.
You are partially correct after all - I did say Dillon is not good. That I will stand by. He would be a wasted asset if it requires a 'good prospect'as one fan mentioned.

I did not say Thornton is not good.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You are partially correct after all - I did say Dillon is not good. That I will stand by. He would be a wasted asset if it requires a 'good prospect'as one fan mentioned.

I did not say Thornton is not good.
Ah okay misunderstood but I still don’t agree at all. To say Dillon isn’t good when he’s a top 4 D, that’s that same as me saying Carlo isn’t good.
As a third party observer, nothing on San Jose is going to get you Pastrnak or McAvoy. Nothing.
That’s the point.... there’s nothing on Boston outside of those two that get you Meier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad