Rumor: Bruins - Sharks

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lots of talk and speculation ( some of it from our sources on the Bruins board that have been well vetted over the years ) that the Bruins and Sharks are heavy into talks, with names ranging from Thornton, Dillon, and Meier on the table.

Apparently the 1st is on the table from the Bruins, as well as the Sharks taking Backes. What else would the Sharks be looking for from the Bruins in a potential trade?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Could see a Backes for Thornton exchange, with some other things thrown around. No point for San Jose to have Meier in on any discussions, unless they are getting something substantive in return.

Reactions: CptxMorgan

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't know how any of those make sense for Boston. They have a C-spine of Bergeron-Krejci-Coyle-Kuraly and need someone on RW so Thornton isn't a good fit outside of the story, they have more than enough depth on D as it is, and are completely fine in the top 4. Obviously they'd love Meier but I don't know how the Sharks would even consider that. And for the Bruins to make a deal of that magnitude where they'd be losing significant roster piece/s when they're in first place doesn't really add up.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Could see a Backes for Thornton exchange, with some other things thrown around. No point for San Jose to have Meier in on any discussions, unless they are getting something substantive in return.

Why on earth would San Jose do that unless the other things thrown around are a 1st/good prospect?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Why on earth would San Jose do that unless the other things thrown around are a 1st/good prospect?
Because Boston wants to clear Backes' cap and might throw in a 2nd rounder/prospect or better, which is where someone like Dillon could be put in to get a 1st rounder or a blue-chip prospect.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Because Boston wants to clear Backes' cap and might throw in a 2nd rounder/prospect or better, which is where someone like Dillon could be put in to get a 1st rounder or a blue-chip prospect.

I doubt they can get rid of that Backes deal for less than a 2nd.

Thornton being thrown in only adds assets to San Jose's expectations. It wouldn't be a "Backes for Thornton exchange", that's for sure.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Bruins don’t have the pieces for Meier unless the Sharks are adding for Pastrnak or McAvoy. I could see something like Dillon+Thornton for 1st+good prospect+Backes though basically Thornton for Backes+1st and a good prospect for Dillon.

Reactions: golffuul

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't know how any of those make sense for Boston. They have a C-spine of Bergeron-Krejci-Coyle-Kuraly and need someone on RW so Thornton isn't a good fit outside of the story, they have more than enough depth on D as it is, and are completely fine in the top 4. Obviously they'd love Meier but I don't know how the Sharks would even consider that. And for the Bruins to make a deal of that magnitude where they'd be losing significant roster piece/s when they're in first place doesn't really add up.

Thornton can play wing too and it's probably better for a contending team for him to do so.

Reactions: Phu

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
"Meier"

giphy.gif

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The inclusion of Meir makes me question the rumour. He's having a disappointing season, but that seems like a major change of heart by the Sharks.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Thornton can play wing too and it's probably better for a contending team for him to do so.
I know he can play wing but I think he’s better in the middle. Maybe paired with someone like Coyle for some of the defensive responsibility and someone like Bjork or Heinen for that young speed winger. Don’t know much about the last two but Thornton has worked best with one trigger man and one kind of do it all physical winger. Basically Coyle would be Burns/Hertl and the other guy would be Pavelski.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Thornton + Dillon for BOS 1ST? Maybe a small add from Boston's side as well?

I don't see how the Sharks could take back Backes. They're loaded with big money deals to aging players as it is...

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The inclusion of Meir makes me question the rumour. He's having a disappointing season, but that seems like a major change of heart by the Sharks.

If you need more info, feel free to PM me since I'm the one who started the thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad