Proposal: Bruins Rumors, Trade and Call up suggestions. PART2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I'll believe what I see. Chiarelli has years where he just doesn't get anything done to improve the team (for whatever reason)...Hey,it's hard work maybe deals just aren't there to be made..but here's my problem...

Boychuk says he was never asked about what it would take to remain here... Everyone chimes is, 'He's a smart guy, didn't need to "... Then he says something stupid like he's happy with our RW situation (a flat out excuse to do nothing), and Everyone says "He's brilliant he's faking the other GM's out"

Yeah ok. Like they are like, man, why would Chia want a legit RW1 when he has Seth Griffith... let's reduce our demands...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think that's a crock of **** that he's faking the other GMs out. But like the other GMs aren't an idiot, neither is he. He's not going to just say "Hey, we need a RW. A 1st liner, actually. And we're kinda screwed right now with Chara out, could you maybe kinda help out?" :laugh:

I still disagree with the Boychuk move. So there's that though.

But he made moves in 2011, blew it in 2012, made moves in 2013, and blew it last year. The way I see it, he's par for the course if he makes a big move this year. :laugh:

And at the same time, I HOPE he's not stupid enough to think that Seth Griffith is the permanent solution on that line. But well...yeah. I understand him trying to promote the confidence of Griffith, that's always a good thing to do for a young player. And who knows, maybe he's trying to overhype his players to try and move them. I have a feeling that may be more effective, trying to move Griffith in a package if you can sell him gelling with talents like Krejci and Lucic. Maybe I'm wrong. I look at it kind of like Cory Conacher, almost.

member 96824

It's nothing more than excuse mongering to cover up the failure of PC at last year's deadline. Throwing out blanket statements like it doesn't work out for most GM's and pointing to St. Louis' failure to win the cup after a trade doesn't change the fact that the Kings were bold at the deadline and those moves directly resulted in them winning a cup. But hey, it doesn't work out for most teams, so why bother trying to improve? :laugh:

Right..more often than not, the team at the top made a move to address a weakness at the deadline.

It makes sense rosterwise, it makes sense capwise, it just makes sense if you're looking to win a cup.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think that's a crock of **** that he's faking the other GMs out. But like the other GMs aren't an idiot, neither is he. He's not going to just say "Hey, we need a RW. A 1st liner, actually. And we're kinda screwed right now with Chara out, could you maybe kinda help out?" :laugh:

I still disagree with the Boychuk move. So there's that though.

But he made moves in 2011, blew it in 2012, made moves in 2013, and blew it last year. The way I see it, he's par for the course if he makes a big move this year. :laugh:

And at the same time, I HOPE he's not stupid enough to think that Seth Griffith is the permanent solution on that line. But well...yeah. I understand him trying to promote the confidence of Griffith, that's always a good thing to do for a young player. And who knows, maybe he's trying to overhype his players to try and move them. I have a feeling that may be more effective, trying to move Griffith in a package if you can sell him gelling with talents like Krejci and Lucic. Maybe I'm wrong. I look at it kind of like Cory Conacher, almost.

Totally agree.

And I think Griffith WILL be an NHL'er and a good one...Just not first line RW caliber on a team that's tryingto win a Cup.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
Then he says something stupid like he's happy with our RW situation (a flat out excuse to do nothing), and Everyone says "He's brilliant he's faking the other GM's out"

Yeah ok. Like they are like, man, why would Chia want a legit RW1 when he has Seth Griffith... let's reduce our demands...:laugh::laugh::laugh:
That's really making a big deal out of nothing. A GM publicly says that he's happy with what he's got 10 games into the year when nobody good is available anyways. Wow, alert the presses. It's called a vote of confidence, particularly for a young player in Griffith. You know who else he gave a vote of confidence to? Dave Lewis. Then he fired him shortly after. Why are we pretending that GM's (or coaches or anyone in a public setting with incentive to lie) are under oath and must tell the truth when they so often don't?

But yeah, shame on Chia for not telling a young kid he's not good enough 10 games into the year when confidence is often a huge issue for young players making the jump to the NHL to start out. He should've thrown the players we have who are going to be here for quite a while until teams actually become sellers under the bus instead. All so some HFBoards posters can be happy.

And saying that's a flat out excuse to do nothing is just as silly as the people you are criticizing for saying "He's brilliant, he's faking out other GM's". You mentioned teams won't buy Chiarelli saying he's happy with what we got because they can see what we have on the roster, well no one will buy that as an excuse for doing nothing for the same exact reason.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Don't forget that the Trade really is :

Tyler Sequin, ( Rich Peverley- who really is Mark Stuart & Blake Wheeler) for Loui Eriksson and three prospects (Joseph Morrow, Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser).

The issue really is that Chia made a bad trade. Loui is not going to be much of a player and our only hope is that Smith is the diamond in the rough. If Seguin [mod], he would still be in Boston.

Trades:
Boston and Dallas agreed to a seven-player trade Thursday, with the Bruins sending forward Tyler Seguin, forward Rich Peverley and defenseman Ryan Button to the Stars for forward Loui Eriksson and three prospects (Joseph Morrow, Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser).

The Boston Bruins acquired center Rich Peverley and a prospect in a four-player deal with Atlanta on Friday. In return, the Thrashers received defenceman Mark Stuart and forward Blake Wheeler

Last edited by a moderator:

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
Agreed, just saying not sure Chiarelli always puts his foot on the pedal. ...He needs to address weaknesses earlier then..

I can't argue with that. At the same time, he may be in on deals (as he has said) that fall apart for any number of reasons. Other teams who haven't won a cup ever or in a long time may be outbidding him.

He's done a good job getting us bigger pieces without giving away too much roster talent. The two "big" deadline moves he made (Iginla and Kaberle) cost us two 1st round picks, a 2nd, Bartowski, Koko, and Colborne. He got Jagr for Payne, MacDermid and a conditional 2nd round pick. Chris Kelly for a 2nd rounder. The most he has given away talent wise at the deadline was the Peverly (and Valabik) for Stuart and Wheeler deal.

He could have done more in some of those deadlines but the question is, what was the asking price? He seems reluctant to deal any major roster talent that late in the season.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
Don't forget that the Trade really is :

Tyler Sequin, ( Rich Peverley- who really is Mark Stuart & Blake Wheeler) for Loui Eriksson and three prospects (Joseph Morrow, Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser).

The issue really is that Chia made a bad trade. Loui is not going to be much of a player and our only hope is that Smith is the diamond in the rough. If Seguin [mod], he would still be in Boston.

Trades:
Boston and Dallas agreed to a seven-player trade Thursday, with the Bruins sending forward Tyler Seguin, forward Rich Peverley and defenseman Ryan Button to the Stars for forward Loui Eriksson and three prospects (Joseph Morrow, Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser).

The Boston Bruins acquired center Rich Peverley and a prospect in a four-player deal with Atlanta on Friday. In return, the Thrashers received defenceman Mark Stuart and forward Blake Wheeler
Well then it's actually Kessel+Wheeler+Stuart+Button for Hamilton+Eriksson+R.Smith+Morrow+Fraser+Knight+Stanley Cup that Peverley was a significant part of if you are randomly combining multiple trades that Chiarelli was involved in with those pieces to try to turn it into one. Can't just leave out the way he acquired Seguin, or the fact that Peverley was a big piece of a Cup run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
That's really making a big deal out of nothing. A GM publicly says that he's happy with what he's got 10 games into the year when nobody good is available anyways. Wow, alert the presses. It's called a vote of confidence, particularly for a young player in Griffith. You know who else he gave a vote of confidence to? Dave Lewis. Then he fired him shortly after. Why are we pretending that GM's (or coaches or anyone in a public setting with incentive to lie) are under oath and must tell the truth when they so often don't?

But yeah, shame on Chia for not telling a young kid he's not good enough 10 games into the year when confidence is often a huge issue for young players making the jump to the NHL to start out. He should've thrown the players we have who are going to be here for quite a while until teams actually become sellers under the bus instead. All so some HFBoards posters can be happy.

And saying that's a flat out excuse to do nothing is just as silly as the people you are criticizing for saying "He's brilliant, he's faking out other GM's". You mentioned teams won't buy Chiarelli saying he's happy with what we got because they can see what we have on the roster, well no one will buy that as an excuse for doing nothing for the same exact reason.
Exactly. No body is saying Chia is being brilliant. Chia is just doing what any GM would do, keep your cards close. I'm sure most GMs know what Chia wants, but there is no need for Chia to broadcast it like an idiot. And though I think its to early for Griffith to fill that spot, he has done a good job the past three games.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'll believe what I see. Chiarelli has years where he just doesn't get anything done to improve the team (for whatever reason)...Hey,it's hard work maybe deals just aren't there to be made..but here's my problem...

Boychuk says he was never asked about what it would take to remain here... Everyone chimes is, 'He's a smart guy, didn't need to "... Then he says something stupid like he's happy with our RW situation (a flat out excuse to do nothing), and Everyone says "He's brilliant he's faking the other GM's out"

Yeah I pretty much agree with this.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Can't believe some posters blame Chia for not going for it last year. He got Iggi, and tried to upgrade the D situation by getting Meszaros & Potter without losing a roster player or jeopardizing the future. The Dman market was tough and after all, this team did win the president's cup with the best goal differential, so it wasn't a glaring weakness. If Chara doesn't get hurt and we make it past the stinking habs, we'd be talking about a great P/O run. Just like we would've been talking about a disaster had the Bs not beaten the habs in '11. The difference between the two is literally inches.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
THANK YOU! :handclap:

It blows my mind the people thinking Subban and a 1st will do it. You are acquiring an elite offensive player that's just 24 years old and is locked up long term. I don't even understand where the hell Haggerty came up with his proposal though. That thing was gross.

And that'd be funny if they asked for Krug, because thats exactly what they don't need, more offensive firepower on the backend. IMO Johnny Boychuk would have helped that team out a TON. But its moot now.

Yup, the fish sticks did what Edmonton should've done. Boychuk & Leddy would've helped them.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Moving Marchand for better overall top-6 depth

Is Brad Marchand a core member of this team? What is everyone's take on this?

I am not saying the Bruins should be desperate to improve the RW situation, but I have doubts that the current Bruins squad is strong enough to beat the Canadians if they end up facing them in the playoffs again. How does Chia and company build a squad that plays like a Bruins team while also having success against the Habs?

I realize moving Marchand is risky because he is one of our only offensively potent wingers, but I think moving a LW (a position of relative strength) in order to strengthen the RW is something the Bruins should consider, especially since Marchand has been a weak performer in the playoffs for the past 3 years (just 5 goals in 41 games).

I am not sure who the Bruins would target, but Jim Benning is in Vancouver and I wonder if he would be interested in something around Marchand for Vrbata. Vrbata has been one of the most consistent scorers on the RW and has a 35 goal season under his belt. Who replaces Marchand on the LW? Gagne has looked competent so far this year and while he is not a barn burner, he still has that quick release and slick playmaking ability. He has also been throwing his body around (led team in hits against TOR). I wouldn't mind seeing him play the LW with Bergeron and Smith.

Is this a more well-rounded forward corps?

Lucic Krejci Vrbata
Gagne Bergy Smith
Kelly Soder Eriksson
Paille Campbell Fraser

If not Vrbata, who might Chia look at? I would certainly take a look at Justin Williams...who is probably the most consistent playoff scorer out there at RW...though it is doubtful LA would part ways with him.

Am I way off???

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
Is Brad Marchand a core member of this team? What is everyone's take on this?

I am not saying the Bruins should be desperate to improve the RW situation, but I have doubts that the current Bruins squad is strong enough to beat the Canadians if they end up facing them in the playoffs again. How does Chia and company build a squad that plays like a Bruins team while also having success against the Habs?

I realize moving Marchand is risky because he is one of our only offensively potent wingers, but I think moving a LW (a position of relative strength) in order to strengthen the RW is something the Bruins should consider, especially since Marchand has been a weak performer in the playoffs for the past 3 years (just 5 goals in 41 games).

I am not sure who the Bruins would target, but Jim Benning is in Vancouver and I wonder if he would be interested in something around Marchand for Vrbata. Vrbata has been one of the most consistent scorers on the RW and has a 35 goal season under his belt. Who replaces Marchand on the LW? Gagne has looked competent so far this year and while he is not a barn burner, he still has that quick release and slick playmaking ability. He has also been throwing his body around (led team in hits against TOR). I wouldn't mind seeing him play the LW with Bergeron and Smith.

Is this a more well-rounded forward corps?

Lucic Krejci Vrbata
Gagne Bergy Smith
Kelly Soder Eriksson
Paille Campbell Fraser

If not Vrbata, who might Chia look at? I would certainly take a look at Justin Williams...who is probably the most consistent playoff scorer out there at RW...though it is doubtful LA would part ways with him.

Am I way off???

If I'm talking to Vancouver, the right winger I want is http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jake-virtanen/

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The Sedins finally have a RW they can play with......that being said, Vrbata is not the answer...especially not for Marchand.

If Chia ever traded Marchand for Vrbata, I'd jump off a cliff.

Not Happening. Ever.

If Marchand were offered to Vancouver, Chia would have to ask for Horvat + Vey otherwise no deal.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I think if Boston really wanted to talk with Vancouver for Marchand...we'd have to look at a potential 2-2 deal.

Marchand and McQuaid for Edler and Kassian.

Not sure if salaries work; but you get the idea.

Still doesn't address our scoring woes...it actually makes it worse haha

member 96824

I've seen the name Justin Williams come up a couple times in the last couple of days.

That is more than a couple times too many IMO. Not because he wouldnt be exactly what I would want, but because hes not leaving LA.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

Not Happening. Ever.

If Marchand were offered to Vancouver, Chia would have to ask for Horvat + Vey otherwise no deal.

Why would you jump off a cliff? Vrbata is older, but that is my only concern. Marchand hasn't done **** in the playoffs for 3 years and he is off to a slow start again this season. Maybe Vrbata isn't the solution, but how exactly does Horvat help the Bruins right now? The point of making a trade at this point is to win now. Right?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yep. Just like he can't take a piss without you calling it champagne...:naughty:

He is the single most overrated GM in the league. Period. Not even kidding here. One cup win is enough to give the guy carte blanche for life, apparently...

As Dom said earlier, this should be in the Chia thread, not this one. In regards to your comment, par for the course for you.

I don't love everything Chia does (didn't like the return for JB), but I also am not as predisposed to hyperbole as you are. "Single most overrated GM"...Really?

Sather?

WTF has NY done since ever?

Chia's one Cup, and multiple playoff appearances are more than most other GM's in the NHL. It doesn't get him immunity from me, but it does get him the benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully, your boss doesn't judge your work performance as harshly as you do Chia's :laugh:

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I've seen the name Justin Williams come up a couple times in the last couple of days.

That is more than a couple times too many IMO. Not because he wouldnt be exactly what I would want, but because hes not leaving LA.

You are probably right...but stranger things have happened. What I want is for someone to give their input on whether Marchand is a worth more to the Bruins as a roster player or a trade asset. I know everyone likes his 25 goals per regular season, but aren't his playoff numbers troubling?

qc

Aug 23, 2011

Not Happening. Ever.

Wasn't he a UFA? I wanted to sign him if the terms were right. I def wouldn't trade 63 for him, though.

It's kind of hilarious to think of him playing in Vancouver. Imagine a line of

Marchand-Sedin-Sedin

?

:amazed:

member 96824

Absolutely, I am warming up to the idea.

My core consists of Lucic, Rask, Bergeron, and Chara. Outside of that...anyone is fair game to upgrade on, although Dougie is working his way in.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Diamond in the rough(what else you gonna call Buffalo): Chris Stewart. Chia is gonna get Murray to agree on our 2nd & Fraser. Two time 28 goal scorer, and would've had two more 20+ goal seasons if the one season wasn't 48 gms, and the other he didn't get traded from St.Louis after 58 gms. Big, tough. Would take the spot light off of Lucic. Just do it Chia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad