Rumor: Bruins (really) trying to trade Backes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Holy **** some people think you need to trade the farm system for a guy they're clearly just going to bury in the system if they can't move. lol

I doubt Boston is jumping at the thought of giving away a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd just to get rid of him, for example.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
No, that value was the cost of buying out Marleau and being stuck with $6 million in complete dead cap space. Backes' situation isn't the same as that, they'll still be getting a player, albeit a bad one.

How many goals and points does Marleau have (19)....Backes has this year and next at 6 million per. The TML needed to shed the Salary to afford Marners contract and be under the cap. Marleau would have never accepted playing for the Canes so it was proposed to be bought out. To do this it cost us a conditional 1st

Sure the team may not be buying the player out but you are asking a team to take on 6 million dollar cap dump for this year and next. The player in question is beyond useless and a detriment to the team and it’s cap situation. The cost of that alone is a first and maybe a plus.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
How many goals and points does Marleau have (19)....Backes has this year and next at 6 million per. The TML needed to shed the Salary to afford Marners contract and be under the cap. Marleau would have never accepted playing for the Canes so it was proposed to be bought out. To do this it cost us a conditional 1st

Sure the team may not be buying the player out but you are asking a team to take on 6 million dollar cap dump for this year and next. The player in question is beyond useless and a detriment to the team and it’s cap situation. The cost of that alone is a first and maybe a plus.
Yeah, it's really unfortunate the Bruins are behind the 8-ball and can't retain any of Backes' salary in any potential deal.

Wait - actually, they are not and they can. They'll probably have to fork over 2 first rounders now.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
As a Bruins fan, I'd be happy to add a 1st round pick and a prospect (not named Studnicka) for Kase or Palmieri.

It's basically for a 1st & prospect, Backes isn't hurting those teams for the 1 more year on his deal

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Holy **** some people think you need to trade the farm system for a guy they're clearly just going to bury in the system if they can't move. lol

I doubt Boston is jumping at the thought of giving away a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd just to get rid of him, for example.

depends. Looking at LA for example if the price for Toffoli is 2nd and b prospect than a 2nd plus 3rd is not unreasonable.
Cost to free Bruins of Backes cap for 1.5 year = 1st. Seems not unreasonable considering what the Leafs had to pay to unload Marleau. Big difference though is the +35 contract.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Bruins should move their 1st honestly. If they can get lucky, they can buy with the same team they dump him with.

Something like a RW for Bruins first (to take Backes), Backes, and then whatever assets (maybe they can even try and stretch the first a bit more and just add like a top prospect and another pick).

Bruins window is now. Bergeron and Marchand won't stay in their primes forever. Bergeron is getting older, Marchand is slowing down a bit. Pasta has kept them going but for how much longer?>

Rask is going to be 33 this year. I'm not saying they fall off a cliff next year, but they just went to the finals, and if they can move Backes and use his money to make a legitimate roster upgrade, now is the time to do it.

Today's NHL top teams fall fast.

They are OVERLOADED with quality D and Set for wingers.

Sorry to burst your bubble but they are Far FAR away from a decline.

They have 2-3 years to draft/trade for a no. 1 C

This is a completely incorrect narrative that leaf fans have started.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
They are OVERLOADED with quality D and Set for wingers.

Sorry to burst your bubble but they are Far FAR away from a decline.

They have 2-3 years to draft/trade for a no. 1 C

This is a completely incorrect narrative that leaf fans have started.

Sharks fans said the exact same thing. "Our young core is better than the old". Bruins are nothing without their top line, and 2/3 are aging out. You under estimate how difficult it is to replace those guys.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Terrible for Anaheim.

Sort of a starting point, I do that with all proposals. But I thought Anaheim was the best bet for him considering they're rebuilding and in the Western Conference.

I mean to make the deal fair, would that conditional pick need to be a first in 2021? Or should Ritchie be removed from the trade, but with that being said I think Rakell should be on a contender while he's in his prime.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Sharks fans said the exact same thing. "Our young core is better than the old". Bruins are nothing without their top line, and 2/3 are aging out. You under estimate how difficult it is to replace those guys.

Marchand is 31 not 41 but sure...

Ignore the rest of our completed stacked roster.

Again one, ONE. Player to replace in the next 2-3 years

Reactions: Scruffy

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Marchand is 31 not 41 but sure...

Ignore the rest of our completed stacked roster.

Again one, ONE. Player to replace in the next 2-3 years

It's a fools errand to think you can be good forever. Every team comes down. Bruins have been competing for over a decade. It's not about not being a good team, it's about being the best in a stacked (and soon to be stacked with teams like Ottawa and Detroit rebuilding) division.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Sort of a starting point, I do that with all proposals. But I thought Anaheim was the best bet for him considering they're rebuilding and in the Western Conference.

I mean to make the deal fair, would that conditional pick need to be a first in 2021? Or should Ritchie be removed from the trade, but with that being said I think Rakell should be on a contender while he's in his prime.
I think if Anaheim is going to move one of its best assets it won't be in a cap-dump deal.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Backes
1st
Swayman
Frederic

for

Thornton
Brodzinski
Shortridge

Why Boston does it:

- Get out of the Backes Deal
- Pick up a really solid bottom 6 C, great veteran, improve PP2

Why San Jose does it:

- Thornton can try and win a cup with the team he was drafted to.
- They get a solid goalie prospect
- They add a 1st this year
- They can play both Frederic and Backes this year, and Frederic can slot into that 3rd line/4th line C spot next year.
- Hertl's injury opens up the cap space to do something like this. Next year it'll hurt a bit but they need to start building their depth and swinging for the fences on some young kids.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, it's really unfortunately the Bruins are behind the 8-ball and can't retain any of Backes' salary in any potential deal.

Wait - actually, they are not and they can. They'll probably have to fork over 2 first rounders now.

Useless players even at three million will cost a high pick or a prospect. Especially in season, why does any team want to help the Bruins out? Nobody was exactly lining up to take Marleau off our hands can’t see it being any different. If a team like LA were to take Backes in a deal for Taffoli it would be your first and a player similar value of Vaakanainen because your asking for the cap dump and a player.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Useless players even at three million will cost a high pick or a prospect. Especially in season, why does any team want to help the Bruins out? Nobody was exactly lining up to take Marleau off our hands can’t see it being any different. If a team like LA were to take Backes in a deal for Taffoli it would be your first and a player similar value of Vaakanainen because your asking for the cap dump and a player.
Marleau: $6m cap hit, $6m real dollars, 35+ contract

Backes: $6m cap hit

Looks like it's going to cost the Bruins 3 first rounders now.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
It's a fools errand to think you can be good forever. Every team comes down. Bruins have been competing for over a decade. It's not about not being a good team, it's about being the best in a stacked (and soon to be stacked with teams like Ottawa and Detroit rebuilding) division.

You're failing to realize the Bruins are STACKED on D, wingers 4th,3rd,2nd line C

I have more faith in Sweeny to find ONE player then Dubas being able to fix the horrible cap situation the Leafs are in (and many leaf fans ignore)
You have no cap space to ice a lethal Defense and quality 3rd/4th line and pay a decent backup.

IMO the leafs are royaly screwed without a major trade. I'm 100% confident Dubas plan will fully collapse by next year.

Bruins have a ton of cap space next year and are in a position of strength.

But sure keep spinning the narrative the Bruins are screwed because they need to find 1 player ...

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Backes, 1st, Swayman, Frederic for Thornton, Brodzinski
Shortridge ...

I got no rooting interest here.
The basics seem sound, but to get 3 young promising assets from Bs for Big Joe, i think SJS need to include some younger more promising assets than JB and an older, marginal upside early career G.
Its gotta hurt a little more, to bring back 2 #1s and a goalie who's a starter all 3 of his Hockey East seasons to-date, w career GAA under 2.8

Reactions: greasysnapper

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Trading for Backes at the TDL with the plan to buy him out this summer would cost about $3.9m in real dollars. Almost identical to Marleau’s $3.83m in real dollars. So I think it’s reasonable to estimate the value of trading Backes right now as a protected 1st round pick, similar to Marleau.

Obviously the B’s could include a prospect to cover or reduce the pick’s round. I think it’s going to be hard for the Bruins to take back a bad contract to reduce the pick because they’re looking to free up TDL room, and the acquiring team has a high probability of buying out Backes, which would offset the benefit of any possible cap dump.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As a Bruins fan, I'd be happy to add a 1st round pick and a prospect (not named Studnicka) for Kase or Palmieri.

It's basically for a 1st & prospect, Backes isn't hurting those teams for the 1 more year on his deal

How about

2nd + Studnicka + Backes <> Athanasiou

After that, you can use the 1st for some other player, because leaving Backes creates the cap space.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You gotta ask to receive..

Sure but try to have any understanding of the other teams organizational needs. Like put in an ounce of effort. Or just read any of the countless BOS/Toffoli threads. Even if it was fair value (its not), Bruins can't move Studnicka with Bergeron and Krejci at their age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad