Rumor: Bruins (really) trying to trade Backes

Status
Not open for further replies.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Because unlike Backes, Alzner won;t get injured by simply looking at him.
Also, Bruins only have 3 defensemen signed for next season.

This is stupid. Who cares if they're injured they both suck and shouldn't be playing anyway. LTIR is a good thing in this situation. Also we have so many defensemen don't worry that is not a concern for us at all.

Can the Bruins pay his signing bonus this summer and then trade him? I have to think it would be much easier to unload the cap if the money has already been paid.
I don't think that would be a problem we have plenty of cash

Sharks will take him for a first. We have no centres for the season and can give him nhl ice time

Yikes you must be in a bad situation if you want to give Backes time at center in the NHL

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

So essentially Backes will not be reporting to the PBruins until at least the deadline. He will, with the Bruins permission, skate on his own while Sweeney tries to find a trade for him. Shannon thinks if Sweeney can't find a trade Backes will report to the AHL. Either that or get suspended without pay I assume.

Didn't it come out earlier today that Backes and the Bruins mutually decided he didn't have to report to Providence? If they were going to suspend him without pay, I would imagine he'd report

To me, it sounds like there's a couple things at work here:

A. The PBruins already have a ton of guys that count against the AHL veteran max rule, so Backes either wouldn't play much or would push one of those guys out of the line-up
B. They want to preserve him so that he's healthy if they can either: A. Trade him before the deadline, or B. Trade him to a team that will buy out the rest of his contract this summer

Reactions: BlackFrancis

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Bruins should move their 1st honestly. If they can get lucky, they can buy with the same team they dump him with.

Something like a RW for Bruins first (to take Backes), Backes, and then whatever assets (maybe they can even try and stretch the first a bit more and just add like a top prospect and another pick).

Bruins window is now. Bergeron and Marchand won't stay in their primes forever. Bergeron is getting older, Marchand is slowing down a bit. Pasta has kept them going but for how much longer?>

Rask is going to be 33 this year. I'm not saying they fall off a cliff next year, but they just went to the finals, and if they can move Backes and use his money to make a legitimate roster upgrade, now is the time to do it.

Today's NHL top teams fall fast.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Bruins should move their 1st honestly. If they can get lucky, they can buy with the same team they dump him with.

Something like a RW for Bruins first (to take Backes), Backes, and then whatever assets (maybe they can even try and stretch the first a bit more and just add like a top prospect and another pick).

Bruins window is now. Bergeron and Marchand won't stay in their primes forever. Bergeron is getting older, Marchand is slowing down a bit. Pasta has kept them going but for how much longer?>

Rask is going to be 33 this year. I'm not saying they fall off a cliff next year, but they just went to the finals, and if they can move Backes and use his money to make a legitimate roster upgrade, now is the time to do it.

Ive talked about it before, but something like

Kase
for
Backes +

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This is stupid. Who cares if they're injured they both suck and shouldn't be playing anyway. LTIR is a good thing in this situation. Also we have so many defensemen don't worry that is not a concern for us at all.

I don't think that would be a problem we have plenty of cash

Yikes you must be in a bad situation if you want to give Backes time at center in the NHL
We are. Hertl and Couture are out for the season

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ive talked about it before, but something like

Kase
for
Backes +

As a fan of a team who is likely to meet them in round 1 (again), I don't want them to make this trade.

But If they could work out that deal, include their first, and some prospects.. It's a win / win for both teams even if long term the Bruins will lose. But contending teams lose their futures for the present all the time.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If the Bs can turn this into something bigger it’d be their best bet. Just as an example, Backes their 1st and Some form of prospects for Athanasiou, Krieder, etc, they can kill two birds here. Grab something that’s going to help you this year (Kreider) and possibly longer (AA) whilst getting rid of that $6 million hit next year.

You’d have to think their first is the price for Backes, being such a late 1st. But if they can get another team to buy into that type of a deal, they can turn this into a plus for themselves. I mean honestly does Detroit really care having Backes for a year during this rebuild? They’ll probably end up moving him next year anyway. So in essence they’d get a first included in their AA return.

It’d be a win for the Bruins if they can wheel and deal like this.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Cap hit and term are similar to Marleau this past summer.

Owed money could be the same depending on timing of signing bonuses etc.

Leafs had to pay a 1st to get out from that contract, will be interested to see if that is the market to make a move like this, or Sweeney can do better.

The major difference though is that the buyout is a tad bit easier to swallow if the acquiring team goes the same route the Canes did. $4M next season and only $1M the following year as apposed to taking on 100% of Marleau's $6.25M cap hit for a year whether you buy him out or not.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

I think they're in a 2 year window right now. The biggest issues to worry about as to why they wouldn't be a contender next season are:

- Krug's last year on a good deal before UFA vs. losing Grzelcyk to Seattle if Krug is signed. I think they'll probably try to work a deal with Seattle to keep Grz protected if they sign Krug, but that will cost assets of course.
- Chara's status? He's still a really effective player, and the more he plays the more it looks like this may not actually be his last year
- DeBrusk's last year on his ELC. Looking like they should be able to get him on a reasonable bridge deal considering he hasn't had some kind of big breakout this year.
- Halak's last year on his deal. His presence allows Rask to rest up significantly throughout the season.

Yes, they have older players like Bergeron, Krejci, Rask and Marchand but one more year should be fine to project right now because they really haven't shown any signs of decline. I'm not so sure I'd sell the farm considering I don't think things look dire at all for next season. The main obstacles they're facing are certainly things that can be overcome.

I think after next season, things get a lot more dicey, like Krejci, Carlo and Rask's deals being up, and another year of aging for the core.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If the Bs can turn this into something bigger it’d be their best bet. Just as an example, Backes their 1st and Some form of prospects for Athanasiou, Krieder, etc, they can kill two birds here. Grab something that’s going to help you this year (Kreider) and possibly longer (AA) whilst getting rid of that $6 million hit next year.

You’d have to think their first is the price for Backes, being such a late 1st. But if they can get another team to buy into that type of a deal, they can turn this into a plus for themselves. I mean honestly does Detroit really care having Backes for a year during this rebuild? They’ll probably end up moving him next year anyway. So in essence they’d get a first included in their AA return.

It’d be a win for the Bruins if they can wheel and deal like this.

The Wings could take on the cap hit no problem. The issue would be that they already have a bunch of warm bodies at forward going into next season and already have to move more than just AA to pare it down and make room for the couple of young guys that might be ready to make the jump to the NHL permanently.

I'd be all for it though.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If I were to make a proposal I'd do this.

Boston:
Rakell
Ritchie

Anaheim:
Backes
1st 2020
2nd 2020
Zboril
Conditional Pick

Taking on Backes should cost them a 1st alone. This is horrendously bad for Anaheim, they could do better than a late 1st + 2nd + Zboril for Rakell...let alone adding Ritchie and taking back a huge cap dump.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Really? What's the plus? I'd imagine it would need to be big.
Well ya, it would have to be a pretty good piece... but I think the basis of the trade could work for both sides .... boston clears cap, and adds a position of need... 2 birds 1 stone... ducks stockpile some more pieces for the future.

the big question would be what would the add be, that I cant answer but id explore it for sure if I was Anaheim.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Backes + 1st + 3rd-5th
for
DeMelo + Namestnikov/Hainsey/Ennis/Anderson

or

Backes + 1st + 2nd
for
Pageau

Status
Not open for further replies.