Rumor: Bruins (really) trying to trade Backes

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Backes + 1st + 3rd + contract (if needed)

for Derek Grant + Nic Deslauriers

Boston solves their cap issue and makes two cheap improvements to their bottom six.

Anaheim receives similar value to the Marleau trade.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yikes you must be in a bad situation if you want to give Backes time at center in the NHL

Couture is out for another month and Hertl is out for the season. I don't think trading for Backes is about the center position as it is getting a 1st round pick for this lost season. They will probably just buy him out or trade him with 50% retention in the off-season.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
detroit can take the 5 mil on next year plus send boston guys like glendenny and helm that helps boston theseplayoffs . yzerman has to be very interested in these goings on . theres also athanasou if boston wants to pay for better help

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Backes + 1st + 3rd + contract (if needed)

for Derek Grant + Nic Deslauriers

Boston solves their cap issue and makes two cheap improvements to their bottom six.

Anaheim receives similar value to the Marleau trade.
I wouldn't do this. The marleau trade was one year for a 1st straight up. Backes is a worse player on a worse contract, and we add two useful players?

Boston's problem is toronto set the cap dump market pretty steep.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
detroit can take the 5 mil on next year plus send boston guys like glendenny and helm that helps boston theseplayoffs . yzerman has to be very interested in these goings on . theres also athanasou if boston wants to pay for better help

They def should get together with Detroit and Anaheim.... both teams make sense.

Detroit could move AA, ducks could move Kase…. and both can take backes and looking to add futures.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wouldn't do this. The marleau trade was one year for a 1st straight up. Backes is a worse player on a worse contract, and we add two useful players?

Boston's problem is toronto set the cap dump market pretty steep.
Ya lol toronto didn't do them any favors.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Saad to Boston

Backes + ? to Chicago to get Saad in return and take Backes' full contract off their hands? (has to be a big add)

Chicago can buy out Backes over the summer, get a premium asset, and save $2 mil in cap space this summer (from what Saads cap hit would have been)

Reactions: PlayMakers

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Grant and Deslauriers are both impending UFA's, not sure if we would get more than a mid round pick for them individually, but their inclusion was why I added the 3rd and contemplated an additional piece as well.

I would hope the Ducks would strongly consider bringing both back in the summer, was just looking for a way to frame this as more of a hockey deal from the Bruins perspective.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Even the Leafs got to protect their pick. Doubt teams will let Boston do that.
I think the bruins are comfortably in a playoff position and losing backes isn't going to hurt that, specially if they can bring in assets to help their playoff run.... the protection is pretty irrelevant(unless the pick is in 21)

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Looks like Blake will revive his..
Toffoli
for
Studnicka
1st
Backes
trade proposal... its pretty much Toffoli for Studnicka

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Grant and Deslauriers are both impending UFA's, not sure if we would get more than a mid round pick for them individually, but their inclusion was why I added the 3rd and contemplated an additional piece as well.

I would hope the Ducks would strongly consider bringing both back in the summer, was just looking for a way to frame this as more of a hockey deal from the Bruins perspective.
I just don't think a 3rd is worth losing grant again, I'd rather re-sign him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He can literally just walk in free agency at end of the year?
why wouldn't you want a pick for him now?

He is likely going to look at his options in free agency anyway.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You know people keep using the Toronto marleau as a basis, but honestly it seems like a lot of potential teams would buy on him... I wouldn't be shocked if it only cost a 2nd+ to move him.

Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Sens, Devils, Red wings to name a few

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I do worry that the rest of the league will realize how good he is if we dealt him to a playoff bound team. If a team is unsure about it's center depth, Grant would check off just about every box they'd be looking for.

Hopefully at this point, even if he's traded and has some playoff success, he'll still realize his best fit is with the Ducks.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Canes can very well take the Backes deal for a 1st (or equivalent prospect, like Studnicka or Beecher) and eat it for one year after the Marleau deal expires. If you have to deal him this deadline, though, no thank you.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Can the Bruins pay his signing bonus this summer and then trade him? I have to think it would be much easier to unload the cap if the money has already been paid.

not if the plan is a buyout. If they want to play him. Sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad