Rumor: Bruins (really) trying to trade Backes

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Backes for Lucic.

Calgary needs a big RHS in their bottom six to play that Garnet Hathaway type grinder role.
Lucic has had success in Boston. And his refusal to challenge old teammates (LA / Edmonton / Calgary / Boston) won't be an issue in-conference

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Backes for Lucic.

Calgary needs a big RHS in their bottom six to play that Garnet Hathaway type grinder role.
Lucic has had success in Boston. And his refusal to challenge old teammates (LA / Edmonton / Calgary / Boston) won't be an issue in-conference

Abysmal

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Backes for Lucic.

:laugh: The whole idea is to get Backes $6 million cap off the books, Lucic make the same money and has an extra year on his deal. Pretty sure Boston says no. Actually he has 2 more years then Backes so this isn't happening.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
you do the honorable thing and walk away from 6 mil first....why should he be blamed for Donnie boy stupidity
I agree that it is stupid for fans to say that to a player. Boston offered the extra term to pry him away from STL.

I don’t hold it against the player that they got paid. But don’t feel for them if they have to play the final year or two of that contract in the minors.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I agree that it is stupid for fans to say that to a player. Boston offered the extra term to pry him away from STL.

I don’t hold it against the player that they got paid. But don’t feel for them if they have to play the final year or two of that contract in the minors.
Not the players fault that GMs continue to not learn from others mistakes.

KurtDangle

Jul 22, 2019
Backes 50% retained
Zboril
3rd round pick

for

future considerations

Bruins have many LD prospects (Vaakanainen, Zboril, Lauzon) & can afford to lose one. Could a team like Senators take davids cap hit with those assets?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Oh I understand it. I also believe it is a garbage proposal. We passed on Kovalchuk for nothing what makes u think this would work?
It's the best proposal I've seen anywhere in this thread, frankly. Boston gets a cheap, serviceable player back with no salary commitment beyond this season and unloads Backes. A 1st and conditional 3rd for that seems very reasonable to this neutral fan.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I expect he will stay in Boston. There's no need to give anything up for him and the Bruins don't need the space. They can unload him at the deadline next year when the cost will be virtually nothing.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
One 1st is to unload backes
The conditional 3rd is for kovalchuk.

Not too difficult to understand

Montreal just got Kovalchuk for free at league minimum because no one wanted him.

Kovalchuk has 13 okay hockey games and Montreal fans now think he’s worth a 1st rd pick.

It blows my mind.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Montreal just got Kovalchuk for free at league minimum because no one wanted him.

Kovalchuk has 13 okay hockey games and Montreal fans now think he’s worth a 1st rd pick.

It blows my mind.

Rumours are he wanted top line minutes and no one would guarantee that. So he chose Montreal due to our injury situation.

He's been playing great, and will be one of the most sought after rentals. I see a bidding war coming up due to how many teams are in the race looking for secondary scoring, his low cap hit, and Montreals ability to take back salary. Time will tell. But a conditional 3rd I dont think is farfetched for a team that thinks it's close to making a run.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Backes for Lucic.

If only we could trick Boston into this... sigh. What is Loui Eriksson up to there days?

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Would there be any interest for a swap around Eriksson? Has a year more but hes a much better player than Backes is and can actually contribute on the ice even when hes not scoring.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Rumours are he wanted top line minutes and no one would guarantee that. So he chose Montreal due to our injury situation.

He's been playing great, and will be one of the most sought after rentals. I see a bidding war coming up due to how many teams are in the race looking for secondary scoring, his low cap hit, and Montreals ability to take back salary. Time will tell. But a conditional 3rd I dont think is farfetched for a team that thinks it's close to making a run.

i think you're severely overrating the interest level and ignoring that most teams passed on him when he was available as a free agent. scoring 5 goals in 13 games doesn't make you a hot commodity and if it does, i'm sure there's a list of unheard of 3rd and 4th liners that need to be prioritized on the trade bait lists. even the deluded media reports temper expectations, as one should with a flighty, aging winger. it's kovalchuk...teams will barely offer him a contract, why would they suddenly all want to bid on him just because he scored a handful of goals? honestly, jagr could unretire and get more offers than kovalchuk.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
i think you're severely overrating the interest level and ignoring that most teams passed on him when he was available as a free agent. scoring 5 goals in 13 games doesn't make you a hot commodity and if it does, i'm sure there's a list of unheard of 3rd and 4th liners that need to be prioritized on the trade bait lists. even the deluded media reports temper expectations, as one should with a flighty, aging winger. it's kovalchuk...teams will barely offer him a contract, why would they suddenly all want to bid on him just because he scored a handful of goals? honestly, jagr could unretire and get more offers than kovalchuk.

I may be, but dont underrate GMs willingness to save their jobs. Time will tell

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Would there be any interest for a swap around Eriksson? Has a year more but hes a much better player than Backes is and can actually contribute on the ice even when hes not scoring.

Nope. Bruins are one year away from being free of the cap hit for free.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Anything able to be done around Athansiou for Backes + 1st +?

Think Boston would have to add something decent to the 1st. Marleau alone cost a 1st and he was far more useful than Backes is.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Anything able to be done around Athansiou for Backes + 1st +?

Think Boston would have to add something decent to the 1st. Marleau alone cost a 1st and he was far more useful than Backes is.

I disagree with this. Marleau would only play for SJ, so to any other team he was literally 6.250 in dead cap space. Backes is cheaper and would be a warm body at the very least.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I disagree with this. Marleau would only play for SJ, so to any other team he was literally 6.250 in dead cap space. Backes is cheaper and would be a warm body at the very least.

Both are cap dumps, as Marleau had to be bought out, and Backes is hardly a warm body. I don't even think Detroit would play him at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad