Confirmed with Link: Bruins Re-sign David Krejci -- 6 years $43 million

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
The good news is that the Bruins have locked up their #1 and #2 centers for the long-term. The bad news is that their cap space situation is as bad as ever or maybe even worse going forward now.

I don't begrudge Krejci his money, I'm just wondering if the B's can still ice the best team they can with current cap constraints. Chia is going to need to make a few moves soon. We're still over the cap, and we still haven't resigned Krug or Reilly Smith and those young players are both going to be key to our team going forward.

Sacrifices and tough decisions must be made and soon.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
The good news is that the Bruins have locked up their #1 and #2 centers for the long-term. The bad news is that their cap space situation is as bad as ever or maybe even worse going forward now.

I don't begrudge Krejci his money, I'm just wondering if the B's can still ice the best team they can with current cap constraints. Chia is going to need to make a few moves soon. We're still over the cap, and we still haven't resigned Krug or Reilly Smith and those young players are both going to be key to our team going forward.

Sacrifices and tough decisions must be made and soon.

Most other contending teams are paying a much higher premium for their main two forwards.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Toews-Kane-Saad-Hossa-Sharp-Brad Richards = 26.53mil
Bergeron-Krejci-Lucic-Loui-Soderberg-Dead Cap Hit = 27.787mil

look man I'm not arguing that the Hawks are good, simply responding to your question of a swap of Krejci/Bergeron for Kane/Toews. You swap those 4 guys and you have to account for 7 million bucks in space. Plus we're talking about the numbers after the extensions kick in. That makes this year's numbers kind of irrelevant to the discussion. By then the Iginla money will be off the books and the Bruins will have their top two guys locked up for 7 million less than the Hawks do. That was my point with including Lucic in the "deal"...just to illustrate the kind of value you're leaving on the table by swapping for Toews/Kane (and their salaries). you included guys like Hossa and Sharp in your list and I see your point, but consider than one of those guys is likely gone next year when the Toews/Kane hits go up.

The question wasn't whether we'd swap the entire lineup, just whether we'd swap those 4 guys, and given the money the answer would probably have to be no for me.

Last edited:

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
look man I'm not arguing that the Hawks are good, simply responding to your question of a swap of Krejci/Bergeron for Kane/Toews. You swap those 4 guys and you have to account for 7 million bucks in space. Plus we're talking about the numbers after the extensions kick in. That makes this year's numbers kind of irrelevant to the discussion. By then the Iginla money will be off the books and the Bruins will have their top two guys locked up for 7 million less than the Hawks do. That was my point with including Lucic in the "deal"...just to illustrate the kind of value you're leaving on the table by swapping for Toews/Kane (and their salaries). you included guys like Hossa and Sharp in your list and I see your point, but consider than one of those guys is likely gone next year when the Toews/Kane hits go up.

The question wasn't whether we'd swap the entire lineup, just whether we'd swap those 4 guys, and given the money the answer would probably have to be no for me.

That's what I wanted to say.
Bruins may or not have bad contracts, but Krejci/Bergeron deals are great. They can screw it up in the future, but it won't be because of those 2 contracts. Signing your two core players who are both consider top 20 center in the league for less than 14M in that era of the cap is fantastic.

Seriously, the Hawks are awesome, nobody is questionning that and those Toews/kane contract aren't bad per say. But, the difference between our investement of 14M and their 21M one is our guys are 60-70pts players and theirs are 70-80 points players. It's more or less 1M per 10 pts for our guys vs 1,3M for 10 pts for their guys. I totaly know there's more than point in hockey and I'm highly confident our duo is closing the gap with intengible (because Kane ...even if he's awesome with the puck).

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Toews-Kane-Saad-Hossa-Sharp-Brad Richards = 26.53mil
Bergeron-Krejci-Lucic-Loui-Soderberg-Dead Cap Hit = 27.787mil

Bergeron-Krejci-Lucic-Loui-Carl (assuming 4 per)-Marchand = $32.5 mill
Toews-Kane-Sharp-Hossa-Bickell-Saad (assuming 3.5) = $39.675 mill

That's assuming Richards doesn't have a comeback season, they don't re-sign him for the same or more. This game can be played all day long.

Also would you rather have Hjalmarsson-Oduya-Crawford at 13.475 or Boychuk-Hamilton-Rask at 11.26?

Also, I'm just doing this for cherrypicking sake. Nothing more.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I got you..not even saying I'd take that swap...I just think Krejci is like a distant 4th in that foursome, no offense to him.

member 96824

That's not the point.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting then.

I'm reading as "The difference is Chara or Rask" as in, we'd have to give up one of those to have those two.

Hawks have done a great job of managing cap IMO, they've recognized who they want to keep, who they want to pay, and what roles can be filled for cheap either within or with FA's. They've let some very good talent walk in order to keep who they wanted from their first cup team and it resulted in a second cup, in which they walked all over the competition from day one of that season.

OT but if Richards turns out well for them, I think this will be their best season yet...assuming health of course.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
You know? I think it's honestly fairly comparable.

Me too. If there was a draft of all NHL players, I'd pick both of those Hawks over both Bruins. I'd acknowledge Bergeron, for my money, is a more sound player than Kane, but given the need for playmaking in this league, I'd take Kane over him. And I think Krejci is a clear #4 on that list.

I suppose what ultimately matters is what the Bruins do with that other $7 million.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Maybe I'm misinterpreting then.

I'm reading as "The difference is Chara or Rask" as in, we'd have to give up one of those to have those two.

Hawks have done a great job of managing cap IMO, they've recognized who they want to keep, who they want to pay, and what roles can be filled for cheap either within or with FA's. They've let some very good talent walk in order to keep who they wanted from their first cup team and it resulted in a second cup, in which they walked all over the competition from day one of that season.

OT but if Richards turns out well for them, I think this will be their best season yet...assuming health of course.

Agree. But let's see how they'll deal with those two new contracts that will kick in next year and who else they'll have to let go because of it.

What I was saying is that Bruins have a 7,25M advantage on the Hawks after taking into account their 2 bests forwards. What each DG do afterward with his remaining Cap is what will set him apart from the other/league.

member 96824

Drafting well I think is what gives a team the advantage in being able to lock up high paid forwards and stay competitive.

Chicago getting ELC contributions from Saad, Shaw, and others has been very important to their success. I think we'll continue to see that trend coming as TT, Johns, Hartman, Danault, and others work their way into the line up. That's truly what allows them to re-sign those guys, and keep the Sharps, Hossas, Keiths, Seabrooks, etc. of the world.

I hope the B's can get more of that in the near future. The ELC players on D made a large impact on being able to ice such a competitive team last year, but we're seeing that come to an end. Will have to pass the torch to the Spooners, Khoklachev's, Pastrnak's of the world and hope they can continue to provide cap relief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad