Confirmed with Link: Bruins Re-sign David Krejci -- 6 years $43 million

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
One component missed a lot about Orr when he is mentioned is his toughness. You have the best player in the history of the league and one of the toughest in the league at the same time. A preposterous combination of skill,dedication and toughness. O'Reilly was only missing the skill but at times you'd swear he was Orr with some of his moves. Orr's number should be permanently affixed to the shoulder of every Bruins jersey as a reminder to anyone ever wearing it,and O'Reilly's face should be superimposed in the spoked B. Sorry,but Bergeron's got a ways to go to reach legendary status,no hit on him.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Orr is incredibly overrated as a hockey player.

He had immense talent, there is no doubt, but just watch the Bruin collapse in 1971 versus the Habs where they went from leading 5-1 to losing 7-5. Orr was on the ice for all of the Habs goals...he was tremendous versus California and St. Louis, but not so good when it counted most.

Orr was the greatest player in the history of the game, he changed the way the game was played and nobody could match his speed, shot or stick handling. He was physical and fought his own battles in an era when even finesse players had to have a physical element to their games. He was a tremendous fighter and leader. He played a complete game.

Gordie Howe is the only player that deserves to be in the conversation with Orr as greatest ever, but he didn't change the game like Orr did.

Your quote is just a sign of ignorance, trolling or you never saw him play. Or your Stan Fischler.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
One component missed a lot about Orr when he is mentioned is his toughness. You have the best player in the history of the league and one of the toughest in the league at the same time. A preposterous combination of skill,dedication and toughness. O'Reilly was only missing the skill but at times you'd swear he was Orr with some of his moves. Orr's number should be permanently affixed to the shoulder of every Bruins jersey as a reminder to anyone ever wearing it,and O'Reilly's face should be superimposed in the spoked B. Sorry,but Bergeron's got a ways to go to reach legendary status,no hit on him.

When the Flyers took intimidation to a new level in 72-73 the league wasn't ready for it, the Bruins included. Orr was a constant target of the Flyers for two seasons. O'Reilly stepped up on many occasions to battle Dave Schultz but Bobby had his fights with him and Andre Dupont, as well as Bobby Clarke. As a rookie he fought guys like Ted Harris and Reg Fleming. This could be me and my black and gold glasses but I don't feel he lost many, he was also a tremendous hitter.

If Orr was playing today the guys he fought are the equivalent of John Scott and Ryan Reaves. I don't see Crosby lining up to go with those guys. If you even looked cross eyed at Gretzky you got McSorely and Semenko. If you were to create a hockey player from scratch it would be Bobby Orr, just with better knees.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

He had immense talent, there is no doubt, but just watch the Bruin collapse in 1971 versus the Habs where they went from leading 5-1 to losing 7-5. Orr was on the ice for all of the Habs goals...he was tremendous versus California and St. Louis, but not so good when it counted most.

Eddie Johnston in net for that game was the single worst coaching decision in the 20th century. They had arguably the best goalie in the league fresh off a game one 3-1 win. Tom Johnson treated that game like a T ball game where every player gets to bat.

As for Orr lucky to say I saw him live at least 50 times and the most dominant player I have ever seen. He never played a game where any one watching didn't realize he was on another level. He was mesmerizing

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
When the Flyers took intimidation to a new level in 72-73 the league wasn't ready for it, the Bruins included. Orr was a constant target of the Flyers for two seasons. O'Reilly stepped up on many occasions to battle Dave Schultz but Bobby had his fights with him
and Andre Dupont, as well as Bobby Clarke. As a rookie he fought guys like Ted Harris and Reg Fleming. This could be me and my black and gold glasses but I don't feel he lost many, he was also a tremendous hitter.

If Orr was playing today he the guys he fought are the equivalent of John Scott and Ryan Reaves. I don't see Crosby lining up to go with those guys. If you even looked cross eyed at Gretzky you got McSorely and Semenko. If you were to create a hockey player from scratch it would be Bobby Orr, just with better knees.

Absolutely,and all of his fights were him blowing his stack,dangerous temper. Played his entire career on injured knees. What if? Sad but he ruined me for anyone after him,including Bourque, as I have just waited and waited to seem someone like him.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Eddie Johnston in net for that game was the single worst coaching decision in the 20th century. They had arguably the best goalie in the league fresh off a game one 3-1 win. Tom Johnson treated that game like a T ball game where every player gets to bat.

As for Orr lucky to say I saw him live at least 50 times and the most dominant player I have ever seen. He never played a game where any one watching didn't realize he was on another level. He was mesmerizing

He truly was mesmerizing to watch to hockey and non hockey fans. The Leonardo DaVinci of hockey,never another,gotta move on.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Is there any level of rank stupidity to which some posters will not lower themselves in order to further their foolish shtick? :shakehead

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Let me tell you a story about Bobby Orr the person.

My brother is a Leafs fan and a huge fan of Patrick Roy. He had a friend who was drafted by the Avs while Roy tended goal for them and Orr was his agent. He asked his friend to get him anything signed by Roy. Unfortunately, he got traded before he had the chance.

He asked Orr if he could get something of Roy's for my brother. Or sent him a huge framed picture (about 4' X 4') of "the goal" autographed by him with a note saying he would get an autographed game used stick from Roy as soon as he could.

The stick arrived about a month later. Both hang proudly in his man cave.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

:laugh:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

3505me1.gif

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Let me tell you a story about Bobby Orr the person.

My brother is a Leafs fan and a huge fan of Patrick Roy. He had a friend who was drafted by the Avs while Roy tended goal for them and Orr was his agent. He asked his friend to get him anything signed by Roy. Unfortunately, he got traded before he had the chance.

He asked Orr if he could get something of Roy's for my brother. Or sent him a huge framed picture (about 4' X 4') of "the goal" autographed by him with a note saying he would get an autographed game used stick from Roy as soon as he could.

The stick arrived about a month later. Both hang proudly in his man cave.

They don't make them like him anymore. Had the privilege of meeting him more than a few times, just a great human being to boot.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Speechless......... incredibly.:facepalm:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Id like to have a crystal ball and know results of series if both scored. I'm not ready to assume each series games 2 would have gone the same. Boston seemed to be done in 1990 after that but two years ago they recovered.

I feel they looked beat because of that OT game, it took everything out of them and then to get beat by Petr Klima was a real kick in gut. I remember watching them go off the ice and just looking dead, it was so hot that night as well. I was in my seats in the balcony and it felt like a sauna. I think if they had won the OT game Edmonton may have folded up.

2013 was such a lost opportunity, the Daugivans trade may be one of the reasons I am starting to dislike Chiarelli. If he feels the need to acquire another Senator Ryan or Neil would be nice fits.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I feel they looked beat because of that OT game, it took everything out of them and then to get beat by Petr Klima was a real kick in gut. I remember watching them go off the ice and just looking dead, it was so hot that night as well. I was in my seats in the balcony and it felt like a sauna. I think if they had won the OT game Edmonton may have folded up.

2013 was such a lost opportunity, the Daugivans trade may be one of the reasons I am starting to dislike Chiarelli. If he feels the need to acquire another Senator Ryan or Neil would be nice fits.

Daugavins was picked up off waivers not via trade. On paper it wasn't a bad move...gritty, speedy guy for free. Insurance for if Paille got hurt or something. Little did we know Claude would have him in the starting lineup.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Daugavins was picked up off waivers not via trade. On paper it wasn't a bad move...gritty, speedy guy for free. Insurance for if Paille got hurt or something. Little did we know Claude would have him in the starting lineup.

You're right, I forgot we got him for nothing. But remember that was the year of no third line because they thought Bourque would fit on it and Chiarelli was slow to fix it, necessitating the need to have Daugivans in the line up in the finals. Claude and his roll four lines no matter what is a whole different issue.

member 96824

I love it...we stay consistent!

If you take away all the teams that Bobby Orr scored points against, he has no points! You've got to dig deeper into the stats people.

al;ksjdf;lakjser;wejr;alskdjf;asdfah;slkdfha;erqhwe;lkrhawl;ekahdl;kfhasfad

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

You win!

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Orr may not be the best (I think he is), look at every list of the greatest hockey players ever, and if he is not 1st (Gretzky) he is 2nd.

Every top 5 is almost the same and very undebatable. (Lemieux/Howe interchangeable)

Gretzky
Orr
Lemieux
Howe
Richard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->