Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XV - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If you flip that list upside down you get a list of the most successful teams in the NHL recently. Boston, PIT, TB, NYI, VGK, COL, STL, CAR, WAS… the notable exceptions are Buffalo and Vancouver.

Like AOF used to say, you can’t have both a perennial contender and a great prospect pool.

Excellent point!

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Edmonton says Hi.
Edmonton’s issue is location. Seriously, who the Hell wants to go there? It’s like banishment to Siberia. Having two franchise centers is useless if nobody wants to play with them. I would easily take $1 million less in salary to not spend 7 months in “winter”, and that coming from someone in Rochester-Snow Belt-NY.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I'm starting to hop on the Brady Lyle hype train.... one question... hows the skating? Clearly the offensive skills are there.... size is there... so if he can skate.... then im officially on the hype train and think Cliffy hockey may want to start looking over his shoulder

Reactions: Baddkarma

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Edmonton’s issue is location. Seriously, who the Hell wants to go there? It’s like banishment to Siberia. Having two franchise centers is useless if nobody wants to play with them. I would easily take $1 million less in salary to not spend 7 months in “winter”, and that coming from someone in Rochester-Snow Belt-NY.

Now that's how I feel about Arizona.
No way in hell would I ever play in that sweat box

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Three summers later: "Staying and finishing his masters in Film Studies is absolutely the right move for Johnny Beecher. An NHL deal will be there next year, and AARP benefits in five more."
What does this mean ?

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Now that's how I feel about Arizona.
No way in hell would I ever play in that sweat box

Counterpoint you get to arrive in Sept/Oct when is 85-95 and leave in April when its 85-90. And the coldest it gets is maybe 60? I wouldn't mind wintering in AZ

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Folks have been saying our pool is horrible for years now, and it certainly hasn’t been great, but we did produce some NHL players out of it. Carlo, Grzelcyk, Swayman, Vladar, Lauzon, Clifton, Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Frederic, Zboril, Kuhlman, DeBrusk…
You're right but besides Swayman who is still an unknown are any of them impact players? Donato can't find a job and Heinen had his salary cut by almost two thirds. Zboril is meh, DeBrusk took a while to become a bust and Kuhlman in a tweener. That isn't how you stay competitive if you do as bad a job at free agency and most trades as Sweeney does.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
WJSS wrapped up today and figured I'd share some thoughts from watching Sweden's games.
  • It's hard to fully judge Lysell and Svedeback due to how bad the Swedish team was for most of the tournament. The defense in particular was horrible...dudes getting skated right around, awful turnovers, sloppy passes, etc. Sweden had scored 8 goals in their first 5 games (and were largely outplayed) before exploding for 7 goals today in their only victory of the tournament.
  • Svedeback allowed 9 goals in 1.67 games but really only two of them were ones that he could have played better, IMO. Both were pretty juicy rebounds that he left right in front of the crease for easy put backs. He did make a number of tough saves including a couple of cross-ice one-timers on the PP. Overall, it is hard to draw any real conclusions on less than two games with his team not giving him much support.
  • As for Lysell, he came as advertised. It's hard to not be disappointed with 0 points in 6 games but it wasn't from a lack of chances or effort.
  • The thing that stands out most is his playmaking. He is always looking to push the pace and make something happen when the puck is on his stick.
  • He straight up embarrassed multiple defenders with dekes throughout the tournament. After he did it once or twice I figured "OK, they aren't going to fall for that move again" and yet every single game he would dangle through the D (especially on a rush at the blue line) at least once to generate a scoring chance. His stickhandling at full speed is really impressive.
  • One of the benefits of his pace and skill was his ability to draw penalties. I didn't actually count but I feel like it was around 6 PPs he generated over the 6 games. He reminded me of Pastrnak in that regard...putting the D in bad spots where they end up taking a penalty.
  • When he was on the PP, he was the de facto QB. He was often the guy carrying the puck up the ice and entering the zone (usually successfully). He would set up shop at the half wall on his off-wing and look to make plays. My one criticism would be that he did have a number of unforced turnovers when on the PP...he'll need to be a bit sharper if he wants the responsibility of a PP QB.
  • Defensively he was solid. You could see the motor going on the forecheck forcing the D to act quickly. He did a solid job of getting his stick in the way of passes in the neutral zone. There were times where he relied a bit too much on a stick wave to defend and would have been better off stepping into the opponent...but I won't ding him too much for that as an undersized player in mid-summer exhibition games.
  • He was much chippier than I expected. He was not afraid to get into shoving matches after the whistle against bigger guys. The empty net stick throw was not the brightest idea but he didn't back down when confronted for it moments later.
  • As mentioned above, Lysell is a menace in open space/on the rush -- but when it comes to more tight-checking, offensive-cycle parts of the game, he has a much tougher time. There were more than a few times when he had the puck and was closed on by a defender (usually who's bigger) and they didn't have much trouble knocking the puck away from him. Definitely something he'll have to adjust to (especially on the smaller NA ice).
  • My biggest concern from the tournament was his finishing ability. He had multiple breakaways, 2-on-1s, a penalty shot, open looks, etc...and couldn't convert any of them. It's a small sample size but something to keep an eye on. With that said, even if his shot/finish never becomes elite, his overall playmaking & passing looks good enough to still be a solid offensive contributor.
  • If any of the known prospect "gurus" write a review of the WJSS, it'll be interesting to see what they say about Lysell. Yes, he had zero points but he was generating chances all over the place. Overall, the positives far outweighed any negatives in his game throughout the tournament -- and I'm excited to see how he develops this year.

Worst worst case = Kase? Who also looks good ..... but trouble with finish when healthy

Best case = Tyler Johnson (peak)?

So who played well for Sweden? Just for comparison sake. How did Rosen do? Anybody else stand out?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You're right but besides Swayman who is still an unknown are any of them impact players? Donato can't find a job and Heinen had his salary cut by almost two thirds. Zboril is meh, DeBrusk took a while to become a bust and Kuhlman in a tweener. That isn't how you stay competitive if you do as bad a job at free agency and most trades as Sweeney does.
When the Bruins suck we can judge their prospects when they got a bunch

the year Bruins got Swayman the Red Wings drafted 3 players in round 3 and didn’t sign one - the third Keith Petruzzelli is in Bruins camp today

in the 4th round the Red Wings took another guy who they apparently won’t sign and next pick Bruins took Swayman

although when I wrote this earlier I was told the Bruins were lucky - last thing I’ll thankfully ever read from that guy

Chicago took Cam Barker 3 and Jack Skille

the awesome Tampa 98 M Lightning over 12 years EARNED five top 10 picks

their GM Stevie Y f***ed up on all 3 lol

1 Stamkos
2 Hedman - Brian Lawton picked

Stevie
3 Drouin
6 Connolly
10 Slster Koekkoek

but Stevie is the balls even though he didn’t pick good in the top 10

I’m only discussing first round top 10
Picks

we will have to wait on Sweeney choices

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Bruins last 10 years
3 Finsls

two overall best records - President Trophy

I’d probably rather a top 10 prospect pool for HF

What was most responsible for their 2011 and 2013 Final appearances?

Drafted players. And some of those players were major parts of the 2019 team's core.

I don't celebrate President Trophies. I'm not a Colts fan.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Worst worst case = Kase? Who also looks good ..... but trouble with finish when healthy

Best case = Tyler Johnson (peak)?

So who played well for Sweden? Just for comparison sake. How did Rosen do? Anybody else stand out?
I get at least 3 major scouting services and I just went and looked and Ehlers most common - Pastrnak & Barzal mentioned

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What was most responsible for their 2011 and 2013 Final appearances?

Drafted players. And some of those players were major parts of the 2019 team's core.

I don't celebrate President Trophies. I'm not a Colts fan.
OConnell

but he was treated like Mussolini on this board after the Thornton trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad