Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XV - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
WJSS wrapped up today and figured I'd share some thoughts from watching Sweden's games.
  • It's hard to fully judge Lysell and Svedeback due to how bad the Swedish team was for most of the tournament. The defense in particular was horrible...dudes getting skated right around, awful turnovers, sloppy passes, etc. Sweden had scored 8 goals in their first 5 games (and were largely outplayed) before exploding for 7 goals today in their only victory of the tournament.
  • Svedeback allowed 9 goals in 1.67 games but really only two of them were ones that he could have played better, IMO. Both were pretty juicy rebounds that he left right in front of the crease for easy put backs. He did make a number of tough saves including a couple of cross-ice one-timers on the PP. Overall, it is hard to draw any real conclusions on less than two games with his team not giving him much support.
  • As for Lysell, he came as advertised. It's hard to not be disappointed with 0 points in 6 games but it wasn't from a lack of chances or effort.
  • The thing that stands out most is his playmaking. He is always looking to push the pace and make something happen when the puck is on his stick.
  • He straight up embarrassed multiple defenders with dekes throughout the tournament. After he did it once or twice I figured "OK, they aren't going to fall for that move again" and yet every single game he would dangle through the D (especially on a rush at the blue line) at least once to generate a scoring chance. His stickhandling at full speed is really impressive.
  • One of the benefits of his pace and skill was his ability to draw penalties. I didn't actually count but I feel like it was around 6 PPs he generated over the 6 games. He reminded me of Pastrnak in that regard...putting the D in bad spots where they end up taking a penalty.
  • When he was on the PP, he was the de facto QB. He was often the guy carrying the puck up the ice and entering the zone (usually successfully). He would set up shop at the half wall on his off-wing and look to make plays. My one criticism would be that he did have a number of unforced turnovers when on the PP...he'll need to be a bit sharper if he wants the responsibility of a PP QB.
  • Defensively he was solid. You could see the motor going on the forecheck forcing the D to act quickly. He did a solid job of getting his stick in the way of passes in the neutral zone. There were times where he relied a bit too much on a stick wave to defend and would have been better off stepping into the opponent...but I won't ding him too much for that as an undersized player in mid-summer exhibition games.
  • He was much chippier than I expected. He was not afraid to get into shoving matches after the whistle against bigger guys. The empty net stick throw was not the brightest idea but he didn't back down when confronted for it moments later.
  • As mentioned above, Lysell is a menace in open space/on the rush -- but when it comes to more tight-checking, offensive-cycle parts of the game, he has a much tougher time. There were more than a few times when he had the puck and was closed on by a defender (usually who's bigger) and they didn't have much trouble knocking the puck away from him. Definitely something he'll have to adjust to (especially on the smaller NA ice).
  • My biggest concern from the tournament was his finishing ability. He had multiple breakaways, 2-on-1s, a penalty shot, open looks, etc...and couldn't convert any of them. It's a small sample size but something to keep an eye on. With that said, even if his shot/finish never becomes elite, his overall playmaking & passing looks good enough to still be a solid offensive contributor.
  • If any of the known prospect "gurus" write a review of the WJSS, it'll be interesting to see what they say about Lysell. Yes, he had zero points but he was generating chances all over the place. Overall, the positives far outweighed any negatives in his game throughout the tournament -- and I'm excited to see how he develops this year.
Outstanding post. Thank you.

I agree, I thought Fabian Lysell played perhaps his best game of the tournament last night and was dominating at times. He could or rather should have scored a few goals on plays he created himself mostly.
Of course, he needs to finish plays better and he needs to get stronger but I think the Bruins could have themselves quite a player here.

It was good reading your post on Lysell and Philip Svedeback, but

I'm disappointed none of the European players will come to camp.

Looking forward to reading your points and views if you go to the development camp.
Quite a few interesting prospects and some exciting camp invites.
Hopefully, they all do well enough to earn a pro contract in the coming years, esp Brandon Scanlin, Marc McLaughlin, and Parker Ford.

Reactions: kjpm and JOKER 192

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
WJSS wrapped up today and figured I'd share some thoughts from watching Sweden's games.
  • It's hard to fully judge Lysell and Svedeback due to how bad the Swedish team was for most of the tournament. The defense in particular was horrible...dudes getting skated right around, awful turnovers, sloppy passes, etc. Sweden had scored 8 goals in their first 5 games (and were largely outplayed) before exploding for 7 goals today in their only victory of the tournament.
  • Svedeback allowed 9 goals in 1.67 games but really only two of them were ones that he could have played better, IMO. Both were pretty juicy rebounds that he left right in front of the crease for easy put backs. He did make a number of tough saves including a couple of cross-ice one-timers on the PP. Overall, it is hard to draw any real conclusions on less than two games with his team not giving him much support.
  • As for Lysell, he came as advertised. It's hard to not be disappointed with 0 points in 6 games but it wasn't from a lack of chances or effort.
  • The thing that stands out most is his playmaking. He is always looking to push the pace and make something happen when the puck is on his stick.
  • He straight up embarrassed multiple defenders with dekes throughout the tournament. After he did it once or twice I figured "OK, they aren't going to fall for that move again" and yet every single game he would dangle through the D (especially on a rush at the blue line) at least once to generate a scoring chance. His stickhandling at full speed is really impressive.
  • One of the benefits of his pace and skill was his ability to draw penalties. I didn't actually count but I feel like it was around 6 PPs he generated over the 6 games. He reminded me of Pastrnak in that regard...putting the D in bad spots where they end up taking a penalty.
  • When he was on the PP, he was the de facto QB. He was often the guy carrying the puck up the ice and entering the zone (usually successfully). He would set up shop at the half wall on his off-wing and look to make plays. My one criticism would be that he did have a number of unforced turnovers when on the PP...he'll need to be a bit sharper if he wants the responsibility of a PP QB.
  • Defensively he was solid. You could see the motor going on the forecheck forcing the D to act quickly. He did a solid job of getting his stick in the way of passes in the neutral zone. There were times where he relied a bit too much on a stick wave to defend and would have been better off stepping into the opponent...but I won't ding him too much for that as an undersized player in mid-summer exhibition games.
  • He was much chippier than I expected. He was not afraid to get into shoving matches after the whistle against bigger guys. The empty net stick throw was not the brightest idea but he didn't back down when confronted for it moments later.
  • As mentioned above, Lysell is a menace in open space/on the rush -- but when it comes to more tight-checking, offensive-cycle parts of the game, he has a much tougher time. There were more than a few times when he had the puck and was closed on by a defender (usually who's bigger) and they didn't have much trouble knocking the puck away from him. Definitely something he'll have to adjust to (especially on the smaller NA ice).
  • My biggest concern from the tournament was his finishing ability. He had multiple breakaways, 2-on-1s, a penalty shot, open looks, etc...and couldn't convert any of them. It's a small sample size but something to keep an eye on. With that said, even if his shot/finish never becomes elite, his overall playmaking & passing looks good enough to still be a solid offensive contributor.
  • If any of the known prospect "gurus" write a review of the WJSS, it'll be interesting to see what they say about Lysell. Yes, he had zero points but he was generating chances all over the place. Overall, the positives far outweighed any negatives in his game throughout the tournament -- and I'm excited to see how he develops this year.
Nice balanced review.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
If you're trying to understand what he does, he's got a website and this is the explanation of how his stuff works: About the Tools

I think it's solid data science, but context is always key. He uses NHLe to compare players historically. That's points only, so doesn't account for defense, team/teammates, or ice time. The key to remember with the whole thing is it's based on probabilities, so there's basically no guarantees with any player, even if the model says they've got a 90% chance of being an NHLer. Just because a prospect produced the same as an NHLer doesn't mean he's going to have the exact same success/career. A model like this doesn't suggest how much success a player will actually have, just their chances of having success.

I'm a big follower of hockey analytics, but I think the problem with a lot of it is how it's delivered. It's very much like the Hannibal Buress meme 'Why are you booing me? I'm right.' Stuff is presented as fact without offering much context or explaining potential weaknesses in the data, and a lot of hockey analytics people don't seem to respond well when anyone questions their work.
The Bruins must have been top of the food chain back in 2016, when Providence had Koko, Griffith and Czarnik doing the ppg thing while a 20 year old Frankie Vatrano was putting up a goal a game.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
thx for the well balanced observations

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Toronto being fourth shows how useless that list is IMO.

Their rankings are based off top 5 star %, top 5% nhler, top 10% nhler and top 30% nhler.

Do the bruins have any prospects that could be in those? Maybe lysell, besides that no. Honestly by the criteria they laid out it seems pretty accurate.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Thank you for posting this as it's what I hear when I talk to anyone outside the Bruins board.

For the last few years every time someone shared a prospects ranking list, the Bruins were near the bottom. Each instance was then followed by indignation and claims the writer was totally incompetent and had no idea what they were talking about. And every single one of them turned out to be completely right.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Thank you for posting this as it's what I hear when I talk to anyone outside the Bruins board.

Pittsburgh prospects sucks! No wonder they pulled out of the prospect challenge. They are embarrassed!

giphy.gif

Now, as far as the Bruins go its worse than I though. These next 2-3 years better be great because after that it could be a while before there is any joy...

OzEl.gif

Reactions: Fenian24

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I still stand by my ranking the B's kids around 22, still bottom 1/3 of the league but closer to the middle than the bottom
Swayman Lysell and Lohrei are pretty high end followed by the next tier of Studnicka Lauko and Beecher, room for improvement but not the desert some on here want to portray
Let's see what tomorrow brings at camp!

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Bruins selection at the center position since 2003 Bergeron and 2004 Krejci, both 2nd rounders...

2005 Entry1064Vladimir SobotkaCSlavia Praha HC [Czech]54853118171362
2005 Entry1545Wacey RabbitCSaskatoon Blades [WHL]
2005 Entry1726Lukas VantuchCLiberec Jrs (Czech Rep.)
2005 Entry2177Brock BradfordCOmaha Lancers [USHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2006 Entry1586Levi NelsonCSwift Current Broncos [WHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2007 Entry81Zach HamillCEverett Silvertips [WHL]200444
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2008 Entry974Jamie ArnielCSarnia Sting [OHL]10000
2008 Entry1736Nicolas TremblayCSmiths Falls Bears [CJHL]
2008 Entry1977Mark GogginCChoate Rosemary Hall (Conn.)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2009 Entry2067Ben SextonCNepean Raiders [CJHL]20000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2010 Entry21Tyler SeguinCPlymouth Whalers [OHL]744281356637223
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2010 Entry452Ryan SpoonerCPeterborough Petes [OHL]3254811916763
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2011 Entry402Alexander KhokhlachevCWindsor Spitfires [OHL]90002
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2012 Entry1315Seth GriffithCLondon Knights [OHL]798111924
2012 Entry1455Cody PayneCPlymouth Whalers [OHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2014 Entry562Ryan DonatoCDexter School (Mass H.S.)18035427730
2014 Entry1164Danton HeinenCSurrey Eagles [BCHL]272447712144
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2015 Entry452Jakob Forsbacka-KarlssonCOmaha Lancers [USHL]293692
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2015 Entry1656Cameron HughesCU. of Wisconsin [Big-10]20000
2015 Entry1957Jack BeckerCMahtomedi (Minn. H.S.)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2016 Entry291Trent FredericCU.S. National Development Team [USHL]5941580
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2016 Entry1355Joona KoppanenCIlves Jrs (Finland)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017 Entry532Jack StudnickaCOshawa Generals [OHL]221342
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017 Entry1736Cedric PareCSaint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2018 Entry1194Curtis HallCYoungstown Phantoms [USHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2018 Entry2127Pavel ShenCKhanty-Mansiysk Yugra [KHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2019 Entry301John BeecherCU.S. National Development Team [USHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2020 Entry1826Riley DuranCLawrence Academy (Mass. H.S.)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2021 Entry853Brett HarrisonCOshawa Generals [OHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2021 Entry2137Andre GasseauCU.S. National Under-18 Team [USHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Bruins have not hit on a center since Seguin and we all know that top 2 picks are locks 99% of the time. This has not been due to neglect as the Bruins have selected several centers and few have panned out but nothing even close to resembling top nine talent, much less top six.

Seguin is the one that got away and we have various bits of information on why. No need to beat that very dead horse.

Part of the issue is that for where 37 and 46 were drafted they have far exceeded their draft slot and drove the team culture and offense for the last 15 years. Also, the Bruins as an organization value defense over centers. Wingers in the draft don't hold high value for the Bruins and their draft history bears that out. They value goalies over wings in many cases.

In the current situation I like Beecher and really think Harrison could be a steal. However, I don't think anyone has a clue if they will develop into top flight players but we all hope for the best.

The Bruins by hook or by crook are going to have to find a franchise center for their farm system through the draft or acquire one via trade. For the next couple of years they will be drafting 20-30 so I would assume those picks in terms of value have less than those the Bruins will have after 37 and his homies are gone. Coyle is not the answer for 1c or 2c...

I think the Bruins should go all out and attempt to acquire a center that can drive the second line now and take over for Bergeron in a couple of years. I would be fine trading 1st rounders, some players, and prospects for that player. These deals can be done, Sweeney is going to need to get creative.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Bruins selection at the center position since 2003 Bergeron and 2004 Krejci, both 2nd rounders...

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Bruins have not hit on a center since Seguin and we all know that top 2 picks are locks 99% of the time. This has not been due to neglect as the Bruins have selected several centers and few have panned out but nothing even close to resembling top nine talent, much less top six.

Seguin is the one that got away and we have various bits of information on why. No need to beat that very dead horse.

Part of the issue is that for where 37 and 46 were drafted they have far exceeded their draft slot and drove the team culture and offense for the last 15 years. Also, the Bruins as an organization value defense over centers. Wingers in the draft don't hold high value for the Bruins and their draft history bears that out. They value goalies over wings in many cases.

In the current situation I like Beecher and really think Harrison could be a steal. However, I don't think anyone has a clue if they will develop into top flight players but we all hope for the best.

The Bruins by hook or by crook are going to have to find a franchise center for their farm system through the draft or acquire one via trade. For the next couple of years they will be drafting 20-30 so I would assume those picks in terms of value have less than those the Bruins will have after 37 and his homies are gone. Coyle is not the answer for 1c or 2c...

I think the Bruins should go all out and attempt to acquire a center that can drive the second line now and take over for Bergeron in a couple of years. I would be fine trading 1st rounders, some players, and prospects for that player. These deals can be done, Sweeney is going to need to get creative.
Play the crap of studnicka would help instead of playing Coyle and haula stunting his growth.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: JOKER 192

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The first round of 2015, when a first-line C prospect fell into Boston's lap, is definitely a case of negligence on the part of the Bruins.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
The first round of 2015, when a first-line C prospect fell into Boston's lap, is definitely a case of negligence on the part of the Bruins.
I wouldn't label it is as negligence , just a case of bad drafting or bad talent evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg