Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XV - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
When the Bruins suck we can judge their prospects when they got a bunch

the year Bruins got Swayman the Red Wings drafted 3 players in round 3 and didn’t sign one - the third Keith Petruzzelli is in Bruins camp today

in the 4th round the Red Wings took another guy who they apparently won’t sign and next pick Bruins took Swayman

although when I wrote this earlier I was told the Bruins were lucky - last thing I’ll thankfully ever read from that guy

Chicago took Cam Barker 3 and Jack Skille

the awesome Tampa 98 M Lightning over 12 years EARNED five top 10 picks

their GM Stevie Y f***ed up on all 3 lol

1 Stamkos
2 Hedman - Brian Lawton picked

Stevie
3 Drouin
6 Connolly
10 Slster Koekkoek

but Stevie is the balls even though he didn’t pick good in the top 10

I’m only discussing first round top 10
Picks

we will have to wait on Sweeney choices

I actually think Yzerman is overrated. If Brisebois doesn't take over Tampa they don't win back to back cups.

As far as the Current group goes 2015 is an unmitigated disaster, Carlo good/very good D and Lauzon is a big loss that they will feel badly this year. DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Zboril and JFK are all busts to one degree or another. That draft should have set them up for years to come.

Because Sweeney has tried to keep them competitive by moving first round picks at the deadline they have a pretty empty prospect pool. I think Beecher will be a good depth forward and I love Frederic but he is also bottom six, Sweeney just spent 20m plus on depth players and that is what he has been drafting for years. You can't miss on depth guys and spend your cap space on them when you need at least 2 top 4 defensemen and a second line center. He misjudged on Coyle badly if he thought he was going to be a top 6 forward based off one good playoff.

If he is gearing up for a run or two more with this core they are badly flawed and need significant help on D and the second line. If he is "rebuilding on the fly" then signing the players he did makes even less sense, and for the most part I liked the signings, especially Foligno and Lewington and to a lessor degree Forbort.

Stop drafting college players 3 or 4 years away from maybe signing here and start drafting CHL players or Europeans that will come over. Lysell was a nice pick, Mast was as well.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Like many weddings you get to choose one entree

would you rather have steak - 10 years of a very good team & bad prospects pool

or

Haddock- 10 years of a bad team & a very good prospects pool

please check one and return in the enclosed envelope - note we are not offering surf & turf

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

or

please check one and return in the enclosed envelope - note we are not offering surf & turf

I'm sorry my friend, but you can't have this both ways. You championed Sweeney as a draft and develop guy, and just a month ago you defended him by praising how he completely overhauled the scouting department in 2016.

Now you're saying our poor prospect pool was an unavoidable condition of the team being good over the last decade? Nope. Pick one or the other.

Also, this all falls apart when you remember the Boston Bruins had a top 10 pick coming off a Cup win and traded that player for what basically amounts to nothing now. They also traded a star player for a first round pick and a prospect, both of which were wasted. And they were perfectly lined up to more than restock the cupboard during an historically loaded draft when they had a slew of picks in both the first and second round. And they had an historically bad draft.

The prospect problem is a matter of incompetence. Not of NHL success.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sorry my friend, but you can't have this both ways. You championed Sweeney as a draft and develop guy, and just a month ago you defended him by praising how he completely overhauled the scouting department in 2016.

Now you're saying our poor prospect pool was an unavoidable condition of the team being good over the last decade? Nope. Pick one or the other.

Also, this all falls apart when you remember the Boston Bruins had a top 10 pick coming off a Cup win and traded that player for what basically amounts to nothing now. They also traded a star player for a first round pick and a prospect, both of which were wasted. And they were perfectly lined up to more than restock the cupboard during an historically loaded draft when they had a slew of picks in both the first and second round. And they had an historically bad draft.

The prospect problem is a matter of incompetence. Not of NHL success.
I have given in declaring utter failure specifically because of the 2015 draft - they draft off Red Line or Hockey News just going down the line they get Barzal Connor Chabot

if they want to bring in Jeff Gorton who was fantastic on the draft shows have at it

I can’t argue about the bottom line of 2015 / they draft good not great they probably have a dynasty

In reality they could have had their cake and eat it too but we can’t go back - trust me I was at the draft party and Ali and my daughter were standing next to me as we stared at the he huge TV and my daughter BF said who they taking and I turned to them all and said ‘Donny take bleeping Barzal & Connor. And Julia you are going to love Barzal he’s really cute’…..

I’m going to support all 4 of our teams GMs because I want them to win

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

or

Lol the problem is we are very close to knocking on the door of having a bad team with a bad prospect pool.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

or

Taking the steak everytime, but I want more than one cup with the steak. I want what were glaring holes fixed (the second line, grit, toughness) for filet mignon instead of cube steak. 1 cup with this core is the one dollar "prime rib" at the dollar store.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I have given in declaring utter failure specifically because of the 2015 draft - they draft off Red Line or Hockey News just going down the line they get Barzal Connor Chabot

if they want to bring in Jeff Gorton who was fantastic on the draft shows have at it

I can’t argue about the bottom line of 2015 / they draft good not great they probably have a dynasty

In reality they could have had their cake and eat it too but we can’t go back - trust me I was at the draft party and Ali and my daughter were standing next to me as we stared at the he huge TV and my daughter BF said who they taking and I turned to them all and said ‘Donny take bleeping Barzal & Connor. And Julia you are going to love Barzal he’s really cute’…..

It takes a long time to evaluate draft picks.

I recall saying after the 2015 draft, don't kill Sweeney yet, lets see what happens first. Well, its been long enough to know the first round was indeed a killer.

Still, I am very excited for the upcoming season. Especially watching Swayman & Ullmark.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Taking the steak everytime, but I want more than one cup with the steak. I want what were glaring holes fixed (the second line, grit, toughness) for filet mignon instead of cube steak. 1 cup with this core is the one dollar "prime rib" at the dollar store.
I’m a surf & turf guy and would come up with some lame ass story to get both

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I want to take a minute to apologize to everyone I took at a shot at here. I’m dealing with Sweeney Derangement Syndrome.

It’s only Hockey

after Development Camp I’ll be taking time off to deal with my condition

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

I think you can support the team and also be critical of management. I think you can support the team and be criticial of the players too. We are in boston, not st louis. Being critical is part of the culture

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I’m worried about Beecher - read (seriously) on Twitter some hardo say Beecher couldn’t make his high school team

in the same thread there was a comment Dev Camp is nothing but 5’9” forwards Sweeney drafted

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

And here is the Fluto write-up with some good stuff in it:

Bruins prospect Mason Lohrei is on pace for NHL impact: 'I didn't know he was going to become special'

Mason Lohrei is everything the Bruins need on the left side of their blue line. He is a 6-foot-4, 205-pound left-shot defenseman who controls the game in all three zones. He is fast, agile, strong and smart. Lohrei is equally comfortable walking the blue line on the power play as he is negating sticks in front of his net.

It is a pity, then, that Lohrei is 20 and yet to play his first college game.

“Mason hasn’t done a lot of shaving in his life,” said Pat Mikesch, Lohrei’s coach at Green Bay of the USHL. “He’s still growing up a lot with his body. So there’s still going to be a lot of growth.”

The Bruins required immediate left-side assistance. It’s why they invested $6 million annually in Mike Reilly and Derek Forbort.
Lohrei, meanwhile, is developing into a mix of the mobile Reilly and the stay-at-home Forbort. The incoming Ohio State freshman led the Gamblers with 19 goals and 40 assists in 48 games in 2020-21. Lohrei was the USHL Defenseman of the Year.

His stay with the Buckeyes may not last long. It is a nice timeline for the Bruins’ 2020 second-round selection. Lohrei is arguably the organization’s brightest amateur prospect.

Adding weight has not been easy for Lohrei. He checked in for development camp at Warrior Ice Arena at 200 pounds, below his previous playing weight.

This summer, Lohrei has been busy with plyometrics to increase his explosiveness. Putting on muscle and keeping it steady during the season will be a priority at Ohio State to improve his shot and puck-protection skills.

How long he stays a Buckeye is unknown.

“I’m not going to even pretend I saw Mason, in the two years we had him, going as far as he did,” Mikesch said. “He went from being a pro prospect to a future NHLer. It changed that much.”

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Spoke to a high school teammate of Mason on Monday who goes to Northeastern and says there is nothing he can’t do. He talked to him a few days ago - corrected me when I said he’s 6’4 by saying he’s 6’5. He also said he’s strong and adding muscle.

Forbort at 6’4 could be only the third tallest defenseman on the team in a couple of years

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Spoke to a high school teammate of Mason on Monday who goes to Northeastern and says there is nothing he can’t do. He talked to him a few days ago - corrected me when I said he’s 6’4 by saying he’s 6’5. He also said he’s strong and adding muscle.

Forbort at 6’4 could be only the third tallest defenseman on the team in a couple of years

Remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the Bruins picked him? Those were good times.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

Yep, these are not little people Lohrei's looming over. (one of Divver's DC photos from today)

E79DGMJWQAMMQ65

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad