Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XIX - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The Athletic put out top 170 players under 23, drafted or not. Fabian was the only Bruin and he came in at 170th.

Curious what their expectations were for Lysell in regular season scoring. He put up 62pts in 53gp and the note from the Athletic says:

"Didn't score as much as expected in the regular season"

Reactions: HumBucker and CDJ

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Curious what their expectations were for Lysell in regular season scoring. He put up 62pts in 53gp and the note from the Athletic says:

Just look at where he has K’Andre Miller ranked.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Bruins getting crushed by the prospect rankings :p

if He played one more season he would probably get 100 points in that league doubt they send him back though.

Reactions: ON3M4N

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

ludicrous assessment by the author, doesn`t mention that outside of Ostapchuk, the Giants had absolutely nobody pushing the needle offensively and night in and out opponents put their top D pairings and forward groups out against him and he responded exceptionally well and then look what the kid did in the playoffs, 20/21 pts in a dozen or so games.

Lysell, IMO, is not going to be a sniper or natural goal scorer in the NHL, I envision him being one day a consistent 25-30 goal, 60-70 pt guy, he`s a fantastic distributer and a good finisher

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
ludicrous assessment by the author, doesn`t mention that outside of Ostapchuk, the Giants had absolutely nobody pushing the needle offensively and night in and out opponents put their top D pairings and forward groups out against him and he responded exceptionally well and then look what the kid did in the playoffs, 20/21 pts in a dozen or so games.

Lysell, IMO, is not going to be a sniper or natural goal scorer in the NHL, I envision him being one day a consistent 25-30 goal, 60-70 pt guy, he`s a fantastic distributer and a good finisher

Anyone who watched his games in the WHL playoffs knows this kid is gonna be a gamer.

Your assessment is fair, but I think a lot of publications criminally underrated Lysell. He's consistently 1st line internationally for Sweden, how is he 170/170 for prospects? That's a joke.

Personally, I can't wait for him to prove everyone wrong. I really believe he is a blue chip.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Does anyone remember when the last time the Bruins were rated highly in these off season prospect rankings?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Does anyone remember when the last time the Bruins were rated highly in these off season prospect rankings?
The last time the bruins had a good farm system their wasn’t many websites around ranking prospects. The reason why they aren’t highly rated now is because their farm system is very bad. They get one player every 3 years basically from the draft. Not good

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The last time the bruins had a good farm system their wasn’t many websites around ranking prospects. The reason why they aren’t highly rated now is because their farm system is very bad. They get one player every 3 years basically from the draft. Not good

So, what year was this?

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
The Athletic put out top 170 players under 23, drafted or not. Fabian was the only Bruin and he came in at 170th.
That's a strange cut-off number to choose – 170. Why not 150 or 200? Or even 175? Did they supply a rationale for it?

Or did they peg Lysell at 170 and then decided they needed to include him to get Bruins fans' eyeballs and clicks?

Reactions: Gordoff

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Anyone who watched his games in the WHL playoffs knows this kid is gonna be a gamer.

Your assessment is fair, but I think a lot of publications criminally underrated Lysell. He's consistently 1st line internationally for Sweden, how is he 170/170 for prospects? That's a joke.

Personally, I can't wait for him to prove everyone wrong. I really believe he is a blue chip.
totally agree, while I`m super excited to see the kid in the NHL B`s uni, I also don`t want him to be rushed, I`m a risk averse fan, rather a kid learn, develop and marinate prior to making the jump from the AHL to NHL. He`s a quick study, while impressed with his first game played vs our boys here in Victoria, to watch his overall game improve drastically when I again got to see him live a month later was really encouraging/exciting.

The kid plays like he hates losing too, perhaps needs to get a bit more mature but that simply comes with age, he competes, doesn`t shy away from any on ice scrums, he`ll need to keep his head on a swivel as there will be opponents whose skin he gets under and he needs to be prepared to defend himself, not necessarily by fisticuffs but being ready to guard against an opponent taking a run at him or clocking him when he has his hands by his side

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
You're being silly. The Bruins had a top 10 prospect pipeline as recently as 2017.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

WHL scoring is ridiculous. Lysell was 52nd in the WHL in scoring. If you want to do PPG he was 31st. A ppg in your D+1 year in the WHL is pretty average for a drafted prospect. For example, Matt Calvert had a pretty similat ppg in his D+1 year a few years ago.

There's certain reasons why you can say Lysell's numbers were artificially low (his team was pretty bad offensively), but I'd say that line from the article is "generally true" but needs more context.

I'd say that's a bit optimistic. I'd say a Tomas Tatar 50-60 pts a year is more realistic.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Just had a chance to watch Freddie Brunet's exhibition game from two nights ago. Looked poise and very comfortable and love his transition game. Nice to see a blueliner who can get shots through to the net and not just chest hitters, with a purpose. Five shot attempts, 5 shots on target.

Took an unnecessary diving penalty (pretty blatant and not good at it). He can though, run a powerplay. Two helpers on the night, both on the PP.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
WHL scoring is ridiculous. Lysell was 52nd in the WHL in scoring. If you want to do PPG he was 31st. A ppg in your D+1 year in the WHL is pretty average for a drafted prospect. For example, Matt Calvert had a pretty similat ppg in his D+1 year a few years ago.

There's certain reasons why you can say Lysell's numbers were artificially low (his team was pretty bad offensively), but I'd say that line from the article is "generally true" but needs more context.

I'd say that's a bit optimistic. I'd say a Tomas Tatar 50-60 pts a year is more realistic.

It was also his first year in NA hockey playing on a smaller rink. Top 30 in P/GP as a rookie playing in a new country and smaller rink....ya im ok with his production based in the circumstances.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It was also his first year in NA hockey playing on a smaller rink. Top 30 in P/GP as a rookie playing in a new country and smaller rink....ya im ok with his production based in the circumstances.
Like I said, I think the team's lack of offense is a considerable thing to look at. The "rookie playing in a new . country on a smaller rink".... I don't know about that part. Niko Huuhtanen was a rookie in the same league, in a new country, on a smaller rink and put upn 77 pts. Of course every prospect is different and it's dangerous to make comparisons.

At the same time, a decent number of people have Lysell playing on the B's this year, and if not, next year, and think he's going to be a 70 pt scorer. That's dangerous too.

He's a good prospect. He's better than 170 on Pronman's list for sure. But he's not an elite prospect either. I'd have him somewhere in the 50-100 range, but too lazy to narrow it down more.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Sure - I think this kid was our top prospect at the time. :laugh:

37HFJQEVKAI6NLVIBY2RTFZ2AY.JPG

Attachments

• 1661902140979.jpeg
    1661902140979.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 6

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Like I said, I think the team's lack of offense is a considerable thing to look at. The "rookie playing in a new . country on a smaller rink".... I don't know about that part. Niko Huuhtanen was a rookie in the same league, in a new country, on a smaller rink and put upn 77 pts. Of course every prospect is different and it's dangerous to make comparisons.

At the same time, a decent number of people have Lysell playing on the B's this year, and if not, next year, and think he's going to be a 70 pt scorer. That's dangerous too.

He's a good prospect. He's better than 170 on Pronman's list for sure. But he's not an elite prospect either. I'd have him somewhere in the 50-100 range, but too lazy to narrow it down more.

Niko also played more game though

Huuhtanen - 1.22 P/GP
Lysell - 1.17 P/GP

If you pace Lysell out to the same GP as Huuhtanen he comes out to 76pts, which is 1 less than Huuhtanen. Pretty impressive when you factor in the lack of offense for the Giants like you said. Everett had 4 players with over 70pts....Giants as 0 players

Defensemen Ronan Seeley was 10th on Everett in points. He had more points than everyone on the Giants not named Fabian Lysell. Lysell had almost 18 more points than the Giants 2nd highest producer and did so playing 9 less games.

I'll agree that some have very aggressive expectations of Lysell early on though.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Bruins getting crushed by the prospect rankings :p

if He played one more season he would probably get 100 points in that league doubt they send him back though.

If he played on a better team he probably would have put up close to 100 points. Just for comparison Dylan Guenther finished 6th in league scoring with 91 points and involved in 31% of his teams goals. Lysell was involved in 34% of his teams goals. Difference is Lysell had no quality around him.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

He was on a mediocre team..

But was still able to tick it up a notch in the playoffs..

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
no Bruin prospects to report on but heading down to Victoria Royals rookie camp today to check things out, be nice to watch some hockey again

Reactions: GoBs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
We complaining about lysels production in the chl? Does anyone remember Patrice bergerons production in the chl? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad