Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XIX - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
He can return to Mississauga for his overage season.

You can play in the CHL for up to 5 seasons as long as you are 20 years of age prior to December 31 in the fifth year. With a January 18, birth date, Hardie falls into that category.

To answer @ODAAT : He's an elite scorer at the OHL level. No question. Excellent shot and smarts, vision is very good as well. Uncanny knack for finding open spaces and eluding the defence.

The knock on him has always been that he has nothing resembling a 200-foot game. I know. The Bruins need goal scorers. But at some point in a game, you need to know where your own end is. That said, he took some strides in that direction this past season and it didn't affect his offensive game. Was it enough? Time will tell.

I do know he had half a dozen offers to go to NHL rookie camps. He chose the Bruins. That's good enough for me.

The following can be applied to hockey as well

Found it on page 37, thanks Dom

Reactions: DominicT

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The way I look at it is if you have a player from 2019 contributing to your roster then your ahead of the curve for that draft. If not it’s judgement time coming soon.

2018 you probably really want to see some players either getting their feet wet last year and really start contributing this year.

Reactions: Gordoff and LR8

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The way I look at it is if you have a player from 2019 contributing to your roster then your ahead of the curve for that draft. If not it’s judgement time coming soon.

2018 you probably really want to see some players either getting their feet wet last year and really start contributing this year.
agreed, unless it`s a pick say in the top 15 who I would say should be making a bit of noise as far as making the big club but let`s also not forget how much hockey over the last few years due to Covid these kids missed and how that affected their growth and development which will also play a part in how quick the transition to the pro game is I would think?

Reactions: LR8 and Dr Quincy

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
What they have 4 picks in 2018? Something like that. Not really good odds with 4 picks imo
Yes agree - pointed out that it is too early to blame the entire draft class which was the point made by bruins network.

As for the bruins 2018 draft, few picks, covid, development, etc... may or may not be the reasons, however they have had the worst production from drafted players every year since 2018. Don't feel you can blame an entire age group / draft class for that.

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

It depends.

For example, a couple guys from that 2018 draft: Kirill Marchenko stayed in Russia. He's just now coming over. The fact that he hasn't scored 50 pts in the NHL or that he hasn't even played a game yet in no way diminishes his prospects as a future core player. Jordan Harris stayed in school for 4 years, and became captain of the Northeastern team. Neither of those players are "established" NHLers, but they certainly aren't busts, and likely pass several players who already have played some NHL games (Jordan did get into a few at the end of the season).

To me the important question isn't "What age did the guy make the NHL?" It's "What has he done since his draft? Did he get a bigger role on his team each successive season? Did his game translate as he went up in levels (jr to pro or college)? Were some of his weaknesses improved? Has he physically grown and matured?"

I'll take a 22 year old who showed progress every season since he was drafted over a 20 year old rushed onto an NHL roster by an impatient team.

However it's true that the older a player gets the more the clock is ticking and that he may get passed by more recent upcoming prospects. While generalizations are helpful and true in the aggregate, it's also important to look at specific players, the teams that drafted them and other factors before deciding if a guy is a bust or not.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
I really, really like the idea of Beecher getting some early NHL games, even if it isn't ultimately where he sticks when the lineup is fully healthy.

A very insane notion: I like him in front of the net on the PP.

Reactions: Gordoff

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
I really, really like the idea of Beecher getting some early NHL games, even if it isn't ultimately where he sticks when the lineup is fully healthy.

A very insane notion: I like him in front of the net on the PP.
im not sure i want beecher up off rip but it’d be nice to reward a kid with a little leash after training camp/preseason. like if this was last year, giving stud some actual run instead of saying that he was sooooo close but sticking him in the a all year.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
im not sure i want beecher up off rip but it’d be nice to reward a kid with a little leash after training camp/preseason. like if this was last year, giving stud some actual run instead of saying that he was sooooo close but sticking him in the a all year.
I think we are over thinking the studnicka thing. I don’t think he earned a spot over nosek fredric or haula. He was close. It’s hard to say with him. I saw some flashes. But I found him pretty invisible other times. We will see more of him this year. I have a hard time blaming coaches for younger players not panning out. We used to blame Claude. Now we blame Cassidy. But I think both are good coaches and just iced the players they thought gave them the best chance to win. Giving young players slots on the roster when other guys are giving u better shifts is a strange concept to me.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
I think we are over thinking the studnicka thing. I don’t think he earned a spot over nosek fredric or haula. He was close. It’s hard to say with him. I saw some flashes. But I found him pretty invisible other times. We will see more of him this year. I have a hard time blaming coaches for younger players not panning out. We used to blame Claude. Now we blame Cassidy. But I think both are good coaches and just iced the players they thought gave them the best chance to win. Giving young players slots on the roster when other guys are giving u better shifts is a strange concept to me.
I'm not totally sure what Studnicka provides at the NHL level. What is he?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I think he is going to be a responsible center with good speed. I thought he had the skill to be a top 6 but that has certainly become a question for me. It seems to me he is just taking longer to adjust to the speed of decision making in the NHL. He often had the deer in the headlights look under Cassidy. Maybe he outgrows it and maybe he does not. I like him though and still have hope that he figures it all out.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not sure we have seen nearly enough of him within a consistent role in the NHL to say. I think, based on what I`ve seen, there`s something there, I don`t think he`s got top 6 skill but I could be very wrong, happened many times before, certainly doesn`t mean he couldn`t be a regular in the bottom 6. I think something that is a touch unfortunate only in the context of getting to know what he could bring is the fact this team has Bergy/DK/Coyle and Nosek in the lineup so that`ll push him to the wing unless they move Nosek

Kid had a helluva camp what? Last year or the year before where many here said that him being shipped down to Providence wasn`t fair so hoping he comes in knowing Monty is approaching younger players with a "clean slate"

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
not sure we have seen nearly enough of him within a consistent role in the NHL to say. I think, based on what I`ve seen, there`s something there, I don`t think he`s got top 6 skill but I could be very wrong, happened many times before, certainly doesn`t mean he couldn`t be a regular in the bottom 6. I think something that is a touch unfortunate only in the context of getting to know what he could bring is the fact this team has Bergy/DK/Coyle and Nosek in the lineup so that`ll push him to the wing unless they move Nosek

Kid had a helluva camp what? Last year or the year before where many here said that him being shipped down to Providence wasn`t fair so hoping he comes in knowing Monty is approaching younger players with a "clean slate"
Doesn't matter what anyone here said. The coach and the GM said it. Unfortunately, waivers got in the way.

This from a team that didn't want to waive Karson MF Kuhlman for fear of losing him and they did eventually.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Doesn't matter what anyone here said. The coach and the GM said it. Unfortunately, waivers got in the way.

This from a team that didn't want to waive Karson MF Kuhlman for fear of losing him and they did eventually.

To me, the logjam issue seemed to stem from them previously saying they don't want to play Studnicka on the fourth line, don't want him to play wing, yet have Charlie Coyle as 3C. So nowhere for him to go.

I hope Montgomery gives him a shot at 4C. We need to see what he's got in a consistent, every night role rather than this bouncing around. He's only played 117 AHL games so it's not like he's well worn at this point.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Young Bruins that want to make this team need to hit the gym and work on cardio first and foremost. Two hours a day every day on an elliptical machine will make that motor non stop. Energy is today’s game.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

oh man, don`t get me started on Kuhlman:) Happy OHL Training Camp Day 1....is that a Holiday in Ontario?

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site

Prospect rankings ultimately don't mean much but Brock is widely acknowledged as the go-to guy for OHL prospects so it's hard to not be disappointed when neither Harrison or Poitras are included in his top 48 OHL drafted prospects (while several players drafted after them are).

Channing76

Jan 3, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
The Athletic put out top 170 players under 23, drafted or not. Fabian was the only Bruin and he came in at 170th.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220829-163705_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220829-163705_Chrome.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad