Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XIX - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Not sure what "the courts" have to do with it. Like all things, it would need to be negotiated as part of the CBA. Whether the NHLPA would agree to it is a different story (not likely)...but it's safe to say neither side would likely want to get the courts involved. That didn't work out so well for Maurice Clarett. With that said, the NBA/NBAPA increased the draft age back in 2005 so it's not unprecedented.
The courts because that is where it would likely be settled. Bill Daly has already said the NHL can change the draft age unilaterally, but will not do it without the support of the NHLPA. If they did, it would likely end up in court. And if they did agree, you will most likely see another Ken Linesman situation.

I'm not a fan of the NBA, MLB or NFL and pay no attention to them, but wasn't Clarett a football player? The difference between hockey players and football players is the hockey player has the courts of two countries to decide where there best chance of "winning" is. Football doesn't.

Anyway, back to prospects.

Reactions: Gee Wally

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
He was a bright spot during the bubble year, but otherwise his game has been all over the place.

There are two main issues with Lauko that I see and only one of which can be put on him:

1. His inability to stay healthy and durable

2. His game is all over the place— some nights he’s trying to make things happen with the puck, but other nights he’s only focused on grinding, fighting and agitating.

For Lauko to be successful, he needs to identify what kind of player he is and stick to that style.

IMO, he’s far too skilled to be an every night agitator and fighter— he’s more noticeable when he’s using his high-end skating and getting pucks on net. I like him as an Ondrej Kase-style player where even though he might not be scoring, when he’s on his game you can see how he tilts the ice in Providence’s favor.

Big year coming up for him.
Thanks for the insight. I was just baffled by how bad he was stat wise (3 goals and a whopping -28). His skating definitely stood out for me during his camp for the bruins. Hopefully he turns this upcoming season around

Guys that I think are likely to make it from their recent drafts…

2018: Woof. Disaster.
2019: Beecher, Schmaltz, Mantykivi
2020: Lohrei, Duran, Langenbrunner
2021: Lysell, Harrison, Svedeback, Jellvik, Gasseau, Gallagher, Mast
2022: Looks very promising but too early.

Plus McLaughlin, Merkulov, Callahan and Ahcan all look like NHL'ers.

So, what does it matter if we're last among NHL teams? What's more important is we have some guys on the way. A coupe potential top6/top4 guys, lottery tickets as Beesfan put it, in Lysell, Lohrei, Jellvik and Merkulov. We have some tweeters in Duran, Harrison and Gallagher. And we have lots of potential depth players like Beecher, McLaughlin, Callahan and Ahcan.
I will say this. By the end of this season, I want to see some youth from Providence in the lineup. Something for us fans to look forward to the next following seasons without Bergy (possibly) and Krejci (possibly). The first two months will be telling, anyways.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The courts because that is where it would likely be settled. Bill Daly has already said the NHL can change the draft age unilaterally, but will not do it without the support of the NHLPA. If they did, it would likely end up in court. And if they did agree, you will most likely see another Ken Linesman situation.

I'm not a fan of the NBA, MLB or NFL and pay no attention to them, but wasn't Clarett a football player? The difference between hockey players and football players is the hockey player has the courts of two countries to decide where there best chance of "winning" is. Football doesn't.

Anyway, back to prospects.

bingo.

I actually remember it.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
I quite literally laid out facts to support 2018 being a weak draft and you just didn’t like it.

Only 27 players from 2018 have played 50+ games in the NHL. If you’d like to take it further you can evaluate their P/60 numbers, but I don’t think that’ll help your case.

How many of those guys fizzled out or are currently tweeners?

If the barometer is “play a single game from the 2018 draft” doesn’t that just further confirm it was? Is the bar that low in drafts that were actually good?

Further to your point, Lohrei staying at Ohio State for this year is a good thing. There’s no rush here.

Further to your final point— there are policies in place for the AHL that require a certain amount of “developing” players to suit up while restricting the amount of “veterans” allowed in the lineup.

With that said, you want players to develop? Having respected, hard-nosed and hard working players like Wagner, Didier is absolutely beneficial to the process. They know what it takes and can pass on that experience to younger guys.
Too early to call the 2018 draft class a bust, especially when you factor in the impact of covid, the bubble, players could not move very easily, fewer NHL games played for 2 years in a row, and some did not even get to play in developmental leagues.

Every team was faced with this, yet Bruins only one of 3 teams to not have a 2018 drafted player play a single game. That is not the draft class.

16 teams have had over 100 games played by that draft class.

Too early to call the draft class weak. Early indications are the Bruins have done worse (for a number of reasons) with the 2018 draft than anyone else, but to point the finger at the entire draft class? Bruins need some introspection.

Reactions: Gordoff

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Reactions: Raleighfern

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Too early to call the 2018 draft class a bust, especially when you factor in the impact of covid, the bubble, players could not move very easily, fewer NHL games played for 2 years in a row, and some did not even get to play in developmental leagues.

Every team was faced with this, yet Bruins only one of 3 teams to not have a 2018 drafted player play a single game. That is not the draft class.

16 teams have had over 100 games played by that draft class.

Too early to call the draft class weak. Early indications are the Bruins have done worse (for a number of reasons) with the 2018 draft than anyone else, but to point the finger at the entire draft class? Bruins need some introspection.
10 players from that draft have over 50 career points in the NHL. That’s it— 10.

7 of those players were top-10 picks.

I really don’t know what else to tell you.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
10 players from that draft have over 50 career points in the NHL. That’s it— 10.

I think the fairest way to describe that draft is that it wasn’t a strong draft in terms of talent and Boston seemed to do a poor job of identifying the talent that was available. Not a lot of nhl players in there to this point but while some (including many drafted immediately after bruins picks) seem to have had a stronger start to their careers than who Boston selected.

It wasn’t a good draft and Boston didn’t have a top pick. And Boston (as it has been the last 7 years) failed to identify a diamond in a year that had more rough than usual, but they failed nonetheless.

How much do i blame them for that in a vacuum? Very little. But it certainly can be used to continue to say that after round 2 the bruins have a very low chance of picking an nhl skater since the Sweeney regime. It’s an uphill climb to achieve that no doubt, but other teams do it, the great teams do. If you’re going to trade 1sts, you’ve gotta be able to run into a 4th or 5th that can play every once in a while.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018

2017 16 players from that draft have over 50 pts. 12 of them are 1st rd.
2018 10 players from that draft have over 50pts. Would not be surprised if that number is ahead of 2017 draft class in +1 yr.
2019 6 players from that draft have over 50 pts. all in the first round.
factor in shortened seasons and fewer games during covid - seems about on trend.

far too early to same the 2018 draft class is a bust. Bruins 2018 draft is trending to be the least productive of that year. It is not the fault of the 2018 draft class age group.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
2018 10 players from that draft have over 50pts. Would not be surprised if that number is ahead of 2017 draft class in +1 yr.
factor in shortened seasons and fewer games during covid - seems about on trend.

far too early to same the 2018 draft class is a bust. Bruins 2018 draft is trending to be the least productive of that year. It is not the fault of the 2018 draft class age group.
What they have 4 picks in 2018? Something like that. Not really good odds with 4 picks imo

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What they have 4 picks in 2018? Something like that. Not really good odds with 4 picks imo
It’s also universally decried as a poor draft class. Just go through the first round and it jumps right off the page. I’m not sure what the fascination is in trying to prop up the 18 draft.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Would be nice to finally be one of the teams that nail a 2nd half of the first round or later pick though. I feel like every year they dont have one its just a " well only this many teams got a player that has done this", but its never the bruins that are one of the teams with those players unless they draft high.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Reactions: PepeBostones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad