Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XIX - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Guys that I think are likely to make it from their recent drafts…

2018: Woof. Disaster.
2019: Beecher, Schmaltz, Mantykivi
2020: Lohrei, Duran, Langenbrunner
2021: Lysell, Harrison, Svedeback, Jellvik, Gasseau, Gallagher, Mast
2022: Looks very promising but too early.

Plus McLaughlin, Merkulov, Callahan and Ahcan all look like NHL'ers.

So, what does it matter if we're last among NHL teams? What's more important is we have some guys on the way. A coupe potential top6/top4 guys, lottery tickets as Beesfan put it, in Lysell, Lohrei, Jellvik and Merkulov. We have some tweeters in Duran, Harrison and Gallagher. And we have lots of potential depth players like Beecher, McLaughlin, Callahan and Ahcan.

2018 wasn’t just a disaster for Boston, IMO, it was just a really weak draft as it turns out. There’s currently only 27 players from that class who have played more than 50 games in the NHL.

Four teams had two players each with 50+ games from 2018, meaning that only 19 teams got one NHL player to appear in over 50 games and there’s a steep drop off after that.

Mind you, though, that’s just games played. Only 10 players from that entire draft have over 50 (!) points in their careers.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
2018 wasn’t just a disaster for Boston, IMO, it was just a really weak draft as it turns out. There’s currently only 27 players from that class who have played more than 50 games in the NHL.

Four teams had two players each with 50+ games from 2018, meaning that only 19 teams got one NHL player to appear in over 50 games and there’s a steep drop off after that.

Mind you, though, that’s just games played. Only 10 players from that entire draft have over 50 (!) points in their careers.
Wow, that’s shocking. Is it rare for an entire draft class to fail?

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Wow, that’s shocking. Is it rare for an entire draft class to fail?

2012 comes to mind.

I'd contend that a lot of guys from 2018 are on the cusp of breaking out points or ice time wise (15+ players)

Alot of the guys have been slow baking and have begun to look like current or future impact players like Durzi, Perunovich, Drury, Kaut, Marchenko, McBain, Kravtsov, etc.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Going back just one year, only 17 players from 2017 have more than 50+ career points right now.

Nine of which were top-15 picks.

And in 2016, only 22 players have 50+ points to their name in the NHL— the Bruins drafted one of them in McAvoy.

Ryan Lindgren sits just outside of that with 45 points. Though I’d be willing to wager many of the same critics of the Bruins drafting would have been really hard on Lindgren watching him in college and the AHL.

Trent Frederic is tied for 24th in games played amongst forwards from that draft class as well. 10 of these forwards were inside the top-15 picks.

Reactions: Raleighfern

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
And in 2016, only 22 players have 50+ points to their name in the NHL— the Bruins drafted one of them in McAvoy.

Ryan Lindgren sits just outside of that with 45 points. Though I’d be willing to wager many of the same critics of the Bruins drafting would have been really hard on Lindgren watching him in college and the AHL.

Trent Frederic is tied for 24th in games played amongst forwards from that draft class as well. 10 of these forwards were inside the top-15 picks.

I was a big fan of Lindgren from the get-go. I thought the Bruins had drafted their future top pairing for the next decade in one draft. He just had the skating, snarl, and smarts that would have paired up with McAvoy beautifully. Lindgren was an excellent 2nd round pick by the Bruins.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I was a big fan of Lindgren from the get-go. I thought the Bruins had drafted their future top pairing for the next decade in one draft. He just had the skating, snarl, and smarts that would have paired up with McAvoy beautifully. Lindgren was an excellent 2nd round pick by the Bruins.
Pretty bad on the pro scouting though to include him for a rental though. I thought similarly to you i saw him in u-18 and thought he’s a gamer. Then they shipped him off for nash. Im sure they could have found some other common ground with NY and if not they shouldnt have made the trade.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Pretty bad on the pro scouting though to include him for a rental though. I thought similarly to you i saw him in u-18 and thought he’s a gamer. Then they shipped him off for nash. Im sure they could have found some other common ground with NY and if not they shouldnt have made the trade.

At the time, I was ok with it and I understood. Zboril was the recent 1st round pick and had higher upside, Grz was 22 and had a solid rookie year, Krug was only 26 and looking like a potential Bruins lifer. And of course, there was Chara. LD was a source of strength organizationally. Trading prospects is always a roll of the dice and as much as I liked Lindgren, he was expendable for a team looking to push deeper into the playoffs. I think what hurt more was the 1st rounder which the Rangers flipped to get Miller.

Reactions: HumBucker

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Yup, unfortunately for everyone that trade came at a time where he was behind Lauzon, Zboril and Vaakanainen.

I really liked him as a prospect, thought he had top-four, hammer-and-nail potential. Just goes to show how tough it is to evaluate prospects from ages 18-21.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Or…Pronman is consistently wrong about prospects across the league, and shows his Leafs bias with every word. No one is saying the Bruins are even in the top 2/3 of the league, but when he blatantly mischaracterizes top prospects (Sandin a good skater, Lohrei a poor skater, etc) he deserves the heat. And trust me it’s not just Bruins fans who dump on him.

Nothing you just wrote contradicts what I wrote. If Pronman is wrong or blatantly misdirects about certain players then by all means call him out. But it changes nothing about the wider reality. Who cares where anyone actually ranks the Bruins' prospect pool? It's just a number. What matters is the output and in that sense it's been very slim in Boston in recent times. Pronman can keep dumping on the Bruins with a straight face until that changes.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Nothing you just wrote contradicts what I wrote. If Pronman is wrong or blatantly misdirects about certain players then by all means call him out. But it changes nothing about the wider reality. Who cares where anyone actually ranks the Bruins' prospect pool? It's just a number. What matters is the output and in that sense it's been very slim in Boston in recent times. Pronman can keep dumping on the Bruins with a straight face until that changes.
He can. And I can continue dumping on him (and Bader) because I don’t think they do a good job.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Yup, unfortunately for everyone that trade came at a time where he was behind Lauzon, Zboril and Vaakanainen.

I really liked him as a prospect, thought he had top-four, hammer-and-nail potential. Just goes to show how tough it is to evaluate prospects from ages 18-21.
Maybe from the fans standpoint. But shouldnt the management team have had a better grasp on their own prospect pool. I mean personally i was pretty high on lindgren and would have had him higher than lauzon and vaak but that was literally just because as i said i thought he was awesome at u18s. If ny demanded him over lauzon or vaak or zboril, fine, it is what it is. But if they would have taken any of those 3 instead then that stinks. Hindsight 20/20 but the pro scouts really should have been able to read the system a bit better, thats their job.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Maybe from the fans standpoint. But shouldnt the management team have had a better grasp on their own prospect pool. I mean personally i was pretty high on lindgren and would have had him higher than lauzon and vaak but that was literally just because as i said i thought he was awesome at u18s. If ny demanded him over lauzon or vaak or zboril, fine, it is what it is. But if they would have taken any of those 3 instead then that stinks. Hindsight 20/20 but the pro scouts really should have been able to read the system a bit better, thats their job.

He really was so freaking good at World Juniors. Absolute dominance as a shut down d

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Looks like Maxim Chudinov has hooked on with Ak Bars in the KHL.

Not a "prospect" in the conventional sense at age 32 but he is still on the Bruins reserve list as he never signed following his selection in the 2010 NHL draft out of KHL's Cherepovets.

He sat out last year after a long career in the KHL but showed up on a tryout with Ak Bars this season. Yesterday his contract status was blank but today it shows valid through April 30, 2023 as "КХЛ - Односторонний" which I believe is equivalent to "one-way."

Would loved to have seen his tough (dirty?) style on the B's blueline earlier in his career but unfortunately it never happened.
Bychkov is the new Chudinov

Reactions: CDJ and HubFlyer

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I was looking at previous draft the other day. For me (and IDK why) I like to use 100gp as a bar for if a pick was a "hit" or not. No surprise you see more and more players hit the 100gp mark as the years go on, but even 10yrs after being drafted, only 33.6% of the players taken in the 2012 draft have played at least 100gp. Even to look at something like DY+5, just under 15% of player selected have played at least 100 games in the NHL.

When you look at the statistics it puts it into perspective just how hard it is to become an NHLer and why people shouldn't be so quick to write guys off because they aren't a star player 2-3 years after being drafted.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018

Weak draft class argument is not fact based.
3 teams have had the same level of success or failure. Nashville, Calgary, and Boston have not had a player play a single game from the 2018 draft.

Calgary and Boston only 2 teams to not have a single player play an NHL game from any draft since 2018.

Draft is a bit of a crap shoot, but development - that is not. Lohrei advised to stay at Ohio State. Need to look within and fix things. Must move focus away from Wagner, Didier, etc and develop players

• Haha
Reactions: StonedZboril

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
3 teams have had the same level of success or failure. Nashville, Calgary, and Boston have not had a player play a single game from the 2018 draft.

Calgary and Boston only 2 teams to not have a single player play an NHL game from any draft since 2018.

Draft is a bit of a crap shoot, but development - that is not. Lohrei advised to stay at Ohio State. Need to look within and fix things. Must move focus away from Wagner, Didier, etc and develop players
So your argument is that 2018 was a good draft class?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Boston didn’t have 1st or 5th in that draft. They traded their 2nd rounder that year, Axel Andersson, in the Kase deal. The rest was of the picks were Lauko, Hall, McFaul and Shen.

I think weak draft on a whole coupled with a lack of picks from the draft (either taken or here to be developed) is a fair argument.

The rest of your take on Wagner and Didier doesn’t make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad