Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XIV - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From tomorrow’s Globe -KPD

In size and style, Bruins defensive prospect Nick Wolff bares a solid resemblance to Kyle McLaren, the former Boston defenseman who stepped right into the back line as an 18-year-old drafted No. 9 overall in 1995.
Wolff, 6 feet 5 inches and 230 pounds, has a slight edge on McLaren (6-4/220) for sheer size. Like McLaren, he likes to hit, which frames his overall game.
“I think we’ve seen growth in his game in the last three weeks,” said AHL Providence coach Jay Leach, who felt Friday’s 1-0 win over Bridgeport was Wolff’s best game. “For sure, he’s come along, his puck play [Friday] was the best we’ve seen and he’s certainly always going to give you his best effort — he’s tough to play against.”
Wolff, 24, signed with Boston last summer after completing his criminal justice degree at the University of Minnesota Duluth, where he won back-to-back NCAA Division 1 championships with the Bulldogs. He was an undrafted free agent, somewhat of a late bloomer, in part because he played both football and hockey through much of high school in Minnesota before concentrating on hockey.
“Loved football,” said Wolff, who preferred playing safety because, “I got to run downhill and put big hits on those running backs.”
In part because of Jamie Langenbrunner, the Bruins’ Minnesota-based director of player development, Wolff attended Bruins’ development camps in the summers of 2018 and 2019 and was eager to sign here (one-year/two-way deal) once hitting the open market out of college.

“I do think we can project that he’s going to be a hard, stay-at-home defenseman,” said Leach, asked what Wolff’s game might look like if he makes it to the NHL. “He has some intangibles that not many have — a la a [Jeremy] Lauzon or a Kevan Miller, even a Connor Clifton … guys that are hard to play against. He comes from a [UMD] program that is well known to develop professional hockey players. They teach guys the right things. I’d say he projects to be a hard defensive defenseman that can kill penalties, eat minutes for you, and has some leadership qualities as well.”

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

In size and style, Bruins defensive prospect Nick Wolff bares a solid resemblance to Kyle McLaren, the former Boston defenseman who stepped right into the back line as an 18-year-old drafted No. 9 overall in 1995.
Wolff, 6 feet 5 inches and 230 pounds, has a slight edge on McLaren (6-4/220) for sheer size. Like McLaren, he likes to hit, which frames his overall game.
“I think we’ve seen growth in his game in the last three weeks,” said AHL Providence coach Jay Leach, who felt Friday’s 1-0 win over Bridgeport was Wolff’s best game. “For sure, he’s come along, his puck play [Friday] was the best we’ve seen and he’s certainly always going to give you his best effort — he’s tough to play against.”
Wolff, 24, signed with Boston last summer after completing his criminal justice degree at the University of Minnesota Duluth, where he won back-to-back NCAA Division 1 championships with the Bulldogs. He was an undrafted free agent, somewhat of a late bloomer, in part because he played both football and hockey through much of high school in Minnesota before concentrating on hockey.
“Loved football,” said Wolff, who preferred playing safety because, “I got to run downhill and put big hits on those running backs.”
In part because of Jamie Langenbrunner, the Bruins’ Minnesota-based director of player development, Wolff attended Bruins’ development camps in the summers of 2018 and 2019 and was eager to sign here (one-year/two-way deal) once hitting the open market out of college.

“I do think we can project that he’s going to be a hard, stay-at-home defenseman,” said Leach, asked what Wolff’s game might look like if he makes it to the NHL. “He has some intangibles that not many have — a la a [Jeremy] Lauzon or a Kevan Miller, even a Connor Clifton … guys that are hard to play against. He comes from a [UMD] program that is well known to develop professional hockey players. They teach guys the right things. I’d say he projects to be a hard defensive defenseman that can kill penalties, eat minutes for you, and has some leadership qualities as well.”

Is it wrong of me to be excited about this guy? Sounds like the next Adam McQuaid a little bit. What a treat that would be if it comes to pass.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Is it wrong of me to be excited about this guy? Sounds like the next Adam McQuaid a little bit. What a treat that would be if it comes to pass.

He definitely projects as the McQuaid-K. Miller type. I think the currently struggle for him is endurance and momentum. He’s a fine skater, especially for a player of his size, but the AHL is significantly faster than D1 NCAA hockey. By the end of the game in the third or the day after on a back-to-back, he can look rather gassed.

As far as momentum goes, he sometimes struggles when the puck is bouncing around with high-tempo passes or bumps from one player to another. Sometimes in response to this he’ll just gravitate towards the puck carrier and absorb him, which isn’t always the right play. It’s got him caught out of position a few times already, but it’s not a huge red flag or anything. Just something he needs to work on.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He definitely projects as the McQuaid-K. Miller type. I think the currently struggle for him is endurance and momentum. He’s a fine skater, especially for a player of his size, but the AHL is significantly faster than D1 NCAA hockey. By the end of the game in the third or the day after on a back-to-back, he can look rather gassed.

As far as momentum goes, he sometimes struggles when the puck is bouncing around with high-tempo passes or bumps from one player to another. Sometimes in response to this he’ll just gravitate towards the puck carrier and absorb him, which isn’t always the right play. It’s got him caught out of position a few times already, but it’s not a huge red flag or anything. Just something he needs to work on.

Great report, thanks Anthony. It sounds like the fundamental tools are there and it's a matter of learning the pro game and taking what he can already do to the next level. I am looking forward to his development.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Captain Captain Jack Becker with his 2nd of the year,4 shots +2 in a blow out win
Kuntar 4th line , 2 shots, 1 penalty,Win
Duran with his 2nd of the year, halfway through the game, they lead Chicago 3-2

Nothing new with Beecher, surprised the Michigan coach hasn't said anything, Divver awful quiet too
@DominicT, hate to do this to you brother but if Beecher leaves College unsigned from Boston he's a free agent correct?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Captain Captain Jack Becker with his 2nd of the year,4 shots +2 in a blow out win
Kuntar 4th line , 2 shots, 1 penalty,Win
Duran with his 2nd of the year, halfway through the game, they lead Chicago 3-2

Nothing new with Beecher, surprised the Michigan coach hasn't said anything, Divver awful quiet too
@DominicT, hate to do this to you brother but if Beecher leaves College unsigned from Boston he's a free agent correct?

No. They would own his rights for another 2 years. Only IF he leaves after January 1st of his senior year would they have his rights for just 30 days. But it has to be his senior year.

And no worries Eric. Always here to answer my friend.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

If Wolff can play at 80% the way KM did we are fine, loved the way he played. I heard the issue with Wolff was his skating / edgework and lateral movement? If he his lacking in these areas, will tough for him to play in the NHL.

Reactions: PepeBostones

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Kuntar was on 3rd line but dropped to 4th recently. He's been ok with a 5-4-9 line but penalties are holding him back. He leads the team in PIMs and I suspect that's a big reason why he was dropped to 4th line.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

hope that means that he`s the kind of guy who despises any opponents even attempting to position themselves in front of his goalie and makes life miserable for them.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Oskar Steen playing very well for providence in today’s game. Guy is buzzing around the ice. Just got robbed of a goal by a great save. Scored earlier in the game as well.

Reactions: Estlin and Blowfish

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
After watching another superb display of Jeremy Swayman today and also by Daniel Vladar earlier this week for Providence Bruins, I noticed Kyle Keyser has won 5 of his last 7 starts after losing 4 straight to begin the season. It also shows on his stats a respectable GAA of 2.62 and a Save Percentage of .918.

I'm really happy for Kyle coming back strong after last season was cut short with injuries and Covid-19. Impressive play all three Bruins goalie prospects.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
After watching another superb display of Jeremy Swayman today and also by Daniel Vladar earlier this week for Providence Bruins, I noticed Kyle Keyser has won 5 of his last 7 starts after losing 4 straight to begin the season. It also shows on his stats a respectable GAA of 2.62 and a Save Percentage of .918.

I'm really happy for Kyle coming back strong after last season was cut short with injuries and Covid-19. Impressive play all three Bruins goalie prospects.

very good numbers for the echl, looks like we have got a nice little supply of young talent between the pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad