Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VIII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So, put on your GM hats because I'm asking you, Is McIntyre's time in the organization over? Here's why I ask:

Last season they brought up an undrafted goaltender in Kyle Keyser to be the third goaltender for the playoffs (practice) in Boston.

Khudobin (Halak this year) was obviously going to take one net as he needed to stay sharp in case of injury to Rask. Keyser would take the other net if they wanted to give Rask some time off from practice, and to take the net for optional skates so that the players would have someone to shoot at.

Anyone could have filled that role and if there were an injury they could have made a move to bring in McIntyre or Vladar at that point.

Fast forward to this year:

They chose McIntyre to fill that role. Ideally, Vladar would have gotten the start last night for Providence, but the injury says otherwise. So they chose to throw in a kid for an elimination game as his first professional game over the veteran McIntyre.

So, are they showing more confidence in Keyser then McIntyre?

Despite giving up a bad goal, I thought he recovered from it quickly and didn't have a meltdown. All things considered, thought it was a good debut.

Thoughts, from you, the GM?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Keyser needs to play at the pro level and got a game. Zane needs an organizational decision and gets to spend a few (hopefully) weeks up in the NHL. It makes sense to me to do it that way. Keyser got a look at the pro game, Bruins get a last look at Zane before contract time. Then there's Seattle- the Bruins will need someone under contract not named Rask to make available. That guy also might, in case of injury or unforeseen circumstances, have to play some games in the NHL.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Keyser needs to play at the pro level and got a game. Zane needs an organizational decision and gets to spend a few (hopefully) weeks up in the NHL. It makes sense to me to do it that way. Keyser got a look at the pro game, Bruins get a last look at Zane before contract time. Then there's Seattle- the Bruins will need someone under contract not named Rask to make available. That guy also might, in case of injury or unforeseen circumstances, have to play some games in the NHL.

Can only protect one goalie right?

So they'll have to have one goalie available under contract (besides Rask) right? They'll have Vladar under contract, he will be eligible for the expansion draft.

So you're saying sign McIntyre and hope Seattle would pick him over Vladar? Would you pick McIntyre over Vladar?

In a must win game, they could have started McIntyre last night and brought him up today after the loss. No?

Either way they won't meet the games played requirements

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
A guy like you asking people this question is quite impressive. The goalie position is so hard to evaluate. Look at last year we had a phenomenal NHL goaltender in Providence for basically the whole year and didn’t even know it,now he looks like The rookie of the year and a candidate to win the Con Smyth trophy? He was under our noses the whole time and we didn’t even know it. As for Zane I think his time is over but what do I know.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
A guy like you asking people this question is quite impressive. The goalie position is so hard to evaluate. Look at last year we had a phenomenal NHL goaltender in Providence for basically the whole year and didn’t even know it,now he looks like The rookie of the year and a candidate to win the Con Smyth trophy? He was under our noses the whole time and we didn’t even know it. As for Zane I think his time is over but what do I know.

Some people believed in Jordan Binnington especially those of us that watched him through his Junior career.

I'm in a SIM league and someone offered him to me in a trade for spare parts. I said "yeah I'll take him off your hands for you, but if I were you, I wouldn't trade him. Hold on to him." And he did.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

So they'll have to have one goalie available under contract (besides Rask) right? They'll have Vladar under contract, he will be eligible for the expansion draft.

So you're saying sign McIntyre and hope Seattle would pick him over Vladar? Would you pick McIntyre over Vladar?

In a must win game, they could have started McIntyre last night and brought him up today after the loss. No?

Well that bolded part says something about how they see Zane it seems. However . . .

We might as well get creative and say that if the Bruins think Keyser is the real deal, and wanted to get a confirmation by seeing him play yesterday in a pressurized situation, then maybe Vladar becomes expendable in a trade deal. Perhaps a team has been sniffing around and the Bruins could move him for a pick or a prospect they like (with Swayman also in the wings at G). Then keeping Zane makes sense as your AHL/emergency goalie and expansion draft offering.

Does Seattle take Zane? I doubt it, but then again would they use an expansion pick to take Vladar for that matter? I should the Bruins are going to have a D man at the very least that is a much better option.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Some people believed in Jordan Binnington especially those of us that watched him through his Junior career.

I'm in a SIM league and someone offered him to me in a trade for spare parts. I said "yeah I'll take him off your hands for you, but if I were you, I wouldn't trade him. Hold on to him." And he did.
Man I wish Sweeney was in your SIM league

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme

Either way they won't meet the games played requirements

I’m terrible at evaluating goalies, pretty much at any level. But if I had to guess between Vladar and McIntyre who has more value, I’d think the shiny new toy syndrome would be in effect and Vladar would be more valuable than McIntyre, no?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
So, put on your GM hats because I'm asking you, Is McIntyre's time in the organization over? Here's why I ask:

Last season they brought up an undrafted goaltender in Kyle Keyser to be the third goaltender for the playoffs (practice) in Boston.

Khudobin (Halak this year) was obviously going to take one net as he needed to stay sharp in case of injury to Rask. Keyser would take the other net if they wanted to give Rask some time off from practice, and to take the net for optional skates so that the players would have someone to shoot at.

Anyone could have filled that role and if there were an injury they could have made a move to bring in McIntyre or Vladar at that point.

They chose McIntyre to fill that role. Ideally, Vladar would have gotten the start last night for Providence, but the injury says otherwise. So they chose to throw in a kid for an elimination game as his first professional game over the veteran McIntyre.

Despite giving up a bad goal, I thought he recovered from it quickly and didn't have a meltdown. All things considered, thought it was a good debut.

Moving on from McIntyre
I have no problem with a Vladar Keyser pairing next year
however...
If Manchester NH ends up with the Bruins ECHL affiliation then I'm open to sending Keyser there ,be a very convenient situation for my staff with a team in Manchester
If Keyser plays in the E, I'm looking for either a Euro goalie that thinks he can beat out Vladar for the #1 spot or looking at a North American looking to come home from Europe.
Either way I'm moving on from McIntyre

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Moving on from McIntyre
however...
If Manchester NH ends up with the Bruins ECHL affiliation then I'm open to sending Keyser there ,be a very convenient situation for my staff with a team in Manchester
If Keyser plays in the E, I'm looking for either a Euro goalie that thinks he can beat out Vladar for the #1 spot or looking at a North American looking to come home from Europe.
I'm a firm believer in the E for a year for goaltenders. Its actually great for developing. Not so much for other positions.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Moving on from McIntyre
however...

Do you know what the situation on Swayman?

how did Keyser look yesterday?

thanks

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I’ve watched both Wednesday and Friday nights games for the providence bruins and Charlotte checkers and through 5 periods 0 goals for the bruins.

As far as future nhl prospects not including AHL potentials lifers. JFK, frederic and cehlarik have been some of the worst players on the ice.

Senyshyn, studnicka, lauzon and Vaak have been decent.

hard to stomach as these guys got a good look up with the parent club this season

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Steen's SHL season ended, as his team lost in semi-final game 7. Hopefully they'll get him to Boston pretty soon.

I'm excited to potentially see him and Shen with Providence next season

hopefully Donny can make it happen

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
But 2017 looks like it should have been his first draft eligible year, don't players typically have 2 draft eligible years before they are able to sign as udfa?

A Player who went undrafted can be signed as "an undrafted player" up to the start of the NHL season, or until he plays 10 games for his Junior team. If unsigned, he re-enters the next draft, depending on age.

The Red Wings signed Kaden Fulcher 5 minutes after the Bruins signed Keyser. Bruins got the better goaltender although I think both should have been drafted

Reactions: Chestus and TCB

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
A Player who went undrafted can be signed as "an undrafted player" up to the start of the NHL season, or until he plays 10 games for his Junior team. If unsigned, he re-enters the next draft, depending on age.

The Red Wings signed Kaden Fulcher 5 minutes after the Bruins signed Keyser. Bruins got the better goaltender although I think both should have been drafted

Thanks, I thought it was hard and fast 2 drafts before UDFA status.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Watched a lot of the PBs this year. Really hoped midway through the season that they would try to get a veteran AHL goalie, thought they had a chance at a decent run this year if they improved in net. Not sure it would have mattered in the end, too many holes on this team overall. Hope they grab a veteran AHL or European goalie to pair with Vladar and give Keyser a year in the E. I would hope they wouldn't try to go through a whole year with 2 kids in net. Makes for a potentially very long year and can stunt the development of players who have to adjust their game to account for subpar goaltending.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Zane McIntyre will be 27 come the start of next season. He cleared waivers last Oct., and I'd put money on him clearing waivers this October. According to Cap Friendly he's a Group VI UFA this summer. If I'm the Bruins GM, I've invested enough ice time and money into Zane's development and I'm ready to move on.

On the flip side, if I'm Zane and his agent, I'm ready to make some real money as a pro hockey player and am seeking more gainful financial opportunities in the KHL or Europe. He's past the prospect stage at this point, hopefully he can see the writing on the wall that he's not going to get one of the 62 NHL goaltender jobs at this point.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I think McIntyre has played his last game for the Bruins organization. His inconsistency is his biggest problem and it reminds me of Hutchinson and Subban. Teams cannot win games when the goalie gets blown out often with 5 or 6 goals against and both of those goalies have that problem. They might look elite for a stretch of games but then horrible for an equally significant stretch. Their GAA might look ok at 2.5 or 2.9 but their teams never had a shot in 30-40% of the games they started. You need to rely on your goalie to keep the score close in as many games as possible, preferably with less than a 10% blowout rate.

Projecting which goalie they expose in 2021 is difficult because that is Rask's last year at 34 so he would need to be extended to be exposed. If they do not extend or expose, then yeah, Vladar would be exposed but we have no idea what his play will look like in the NHL (if promoted) over the next 2 years.

Personally, I like Swayman - Keyser - Vladar in that order as prospects so if all 3 progress as expected over these next two years, than losing Vladar in the expansion won't hurt as much. And that doesn't take into account the upcoming draft where they might take a homerun swing and select Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad