Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Real funny moment near the end of the Finland Canada game. Vaakanainen gets called for a penalty with about 40 seconds left and ends up signing autographs for a fan next while in the box.

He played a solid game. He'll definitely be a workhorse for Finland, along with Jokiharju.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Real funny moment near the end of the Finland Canada game. Vaakanainen gets called for a penalty with about 40 seconds left and ends up signing autographs for a fan next while in the box.

He played a solid game. He'll definitely be a workhorse for Finland, along with Jokiharju.

here it is

Barstool Sports

Reactions: TCB

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Eight defensemen including Bukac made it I think, remains to be seen who actually plays. He had an absolutely brutal giveaway in the game against USA (1st goal), but that's just one play.
Glad he made it,6 Bruins prospects to watch

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
In the Canada game Vaakanainen got to wear an 'A' . Heard he was in Comtois face too. Too bad we did not get anyone on Sweden. I may be wrong but is that 6 for us. Bukac, Lauko, Vaak, Keyser, Shen and Studnicka. Is Shen wearing a letter?

Reactions: maxbme

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Chris Peters seems to think he'll be the starter.

Lastly, based on the way Team USA used their goaltenders in pre-tournament, I’m led to believe that Kyle Keyser will be the go-to guy between the pipes for Team USA at least to start. The Bruins prospect played the full game against the Czech Republic, while Spencer Knight and Cayden Primeau split the game against Russia.

I don’t know that I’d pencil Keyser in as the No. 1 the whole way at this point, but I’d say he’s at least in the driver’s seat.

2019 Team USA World Junior Championship Roster: Team set after six cuts

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
In the Canada game Vaakanainen got to wear an 'A' . Heard he was in Comtois face too. Too bad we did not get anyone on Sweden. I may be wrong but is that 6 for us. Bukac, Lauko, Vaak, Keyser, Shen and Studnicka. Is Shen wearing a letter?
He was. He was going at it with comtois all night. Most notably after Czech goalie made a save and comtois bumped him on the way by. Vaak got VERY heated and gave him hell the rest of the way. When he was sent to the box it was for hooking or roughing comtois

I'm pretty sure Shen is the captain. He's an interesting prospect. Excited to see more of him.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
It’s encouraging to see some of our less hyped prospects getting some recognition going into this tourney. I would love Keyser to fully emerge as the Bruins top goalie prospect. I would love Vaakanainen to emerge as our best D prospect. I would love Pavel Shen to become the first homegrown Russian player (to stick) since Sammy. I would also love a guy like Daniel Bukac to come out of nowhere and show real NHL upside. I mean, I follow our prospects pretty closely and there is very little out there on Bukac...and he is in the O! It’s not like he is in the MHL!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Healthy again, Urho Vaakanainen pitches in for Finland - The Boston Globe

Vaakanainen arrived at the World Junior Championships ready to go — and give back.

Shelved two months with a concussion, the 19-year-old Bruins rookie was cleared to play last week, just in time for the final exhibition game of the annual Under-20 tournament of nations. A late addition to Team Finland, Vaakanainen showed up in Vancouver to face Team Canada on Sunday.

In a 5-2 win in Rogers Arena — the same rink in which he made his NHL debut on Oct. 20 — Vaakanainen took two minor penalties and did not register a point, but he earned high marks from at least one neutral observer.

Steven Ellis, a Canadian reporter covering the tournament, wrote to the Globe that he looked “fantastic for a guy who hasn’t been in action in months. Started off really strong, slowed down early in the third, but he’s been used a lot and isn’t in full game mode yet. Getting some good [power-play] chances, passing very well. Give him a game or two to thrive.”

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
I forgot he existed until someone told me to watch them to see Lleyton Moore. I only watched 3 games but he moves really well and is just so smooth for a guy of his size. He is huge, tremendous wing span. I was told he actually grew about 10 inches in height from his 16 to 17 year old seasons or something insane like that. I really like the upside with him as a shut down guy in the new NHL.
Speaking of Moore, who I love, word is he'll be moved for Studnicka.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He was. He was going at it with comtois all night. Most notably after Czech goalie made a save and comtois bumped him on the way by. Vaak got VERY heated and gave him hell the rest of the way. When he was sent to the box it was for hooking or roughing comtois

I'm pretty sure Shen is the captain. He's an interesting prospect. Excited to see more of him.
Got a feeling watching him a little on tape and seeing him the week at camp he’s worth keeping an eye on.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Chris Peters seems to think he'll be the starter.

Lastly, based on the way Team USA used their goaltenders in pre-tournament, I’m led to believe that Kyle Keyser will be the go-to guy between the pipes for Team USA at least to start. The Bruins prospect played the full game against the Czech Republic, while Spencer Knight and Cayden Primeau split the game against Russia.

I don’t know that I’d pencil Keyser in as the No. 1 the whole way at this point, but I’d say he’s at least in the driver’s seat.

Thought Primeau looked better of the three.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What I wanna know, who's the scout we have out in Czech? Seems they have a great eye for talent.

Pastrnak played in Sweden, but it would have most likely been one of PJ Axe or Svenake Svensson that scouted him either way. At the time, they were the B’s Euro scouts based out of Sweden. Since then the B’s have added three more Euro scouts:

Jan Ludwig (1st season, based in the Czech Republic).

Victor Nybladh (3rd season, based in Sweden).

Erkki Rajamaki (4th season, based in Finland).

Scouting Staff

Say what you want about the B’s NHL pro scouting, but Sweeney has beefed up their amateur scouting quite a bit since he took over, particularly in the OHL and Europe.

BruinsNetwork

Pastrnak played in Sweden, but it would have most likely been one of PJ Axe or Svenake Svensson that scouted him either way. At the time, they were the B’s Euro scouts based out of Sweden. Since then the B’s have added three more Euro scouts:

Jan Ludwig (1st season, based in the Czech Republic).

Victor Nybladh (3rd season, based in Sweden).

Erkki Rajamaki (4th season, based in Finland).

Scouting Staff

Say what you want about the B’s NHL pro scouting, but Sweeney has beefed up their amateur scouting quite a bit since he took over, particularly in the OHL and Europe.

I’ve heard Don Sweeney was actually one of those who went overseas to scout Pastrnak multiple times. Forgot where I had read that.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Thought Primeau looked better of the three.

I don't know who it will be that starts. But you've maintained for a while Keyser is the number 3. Most times a draft eligible goaltender (Knight) is brought along for the tournament (and never sees action) to learn, see what it takes, and prepare them for the following year. It's a typical move by the Canadians and Americans. Personally, I think that's the case with Knight.

I saw the games. I didn't see the practices. Maybe something happened during practice to sway their decision?

I'm just happy he's there. His body of work absolutely is deserving.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I don't know who it will be that starts. But you've maintained for a while Keyser is the number 3. Most times a draft eligible goaltender (Knight) is brought along for the tournament (and never sees action) to learn, see what it takes, and prepare them for the following year. It's a typical move by the Canadians and Americans. Personally, I think that's the case with Knight.

I saw the games. I didn't see the practices. Maybe something happened during practice to sway their decision?

I'm just happy he's there. His body of work absolutely is deserving.

Looking at the numbers, this season over last, deserves to be on the team and a shot.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Did Bukac make the Czech team?

My thoughts on Bukac….

Important tournament for him. Could go a long way to getting an NHL contract. Because he was drafted from the Dub, has to be signed by June 1. Czech's have a decent team. He'll play a key shut down role.

Skating: Long, powerful stride. Moves well for a guy that's 6'6". Very good edge work. Can turn tight and quick. Not as quick as 6'5" Brandon Carlo.

Size: When drafted, he was a lanky 6'4" and just 175 pounds. He's grown to 6'6" since then and added some 35 pounds of mass. Still needs to add some bulk as he still looks lanky for his size. If he can do that without effecting his skating, he'll be okay.

Character: There was some quiet "noise" when Brandon dropped him. The fact is, the Wheat Kings were in a position where they didn't have much choice. CHL teams are only allowed two imports and they had two picks in the CHL Import draft where they could nab two players they really wanted/needed and they had to release Bukac.

Skills: Puck handling skill are very good. Can evade the forecheck or make a good first pass out of the zone. I just don't feel he processes the game quick enough. He's shown at times that he can, but not consistently. Funny thing is, that when he gets top minutes, he has shown to be better. It just might be a confidence issue with him. But when he's playing lesser minutes/role, he sometimes handles the puck like a grenade. I think in that capacity he tries too hard to impress his coaches.

He has a very good shot, hard, accurate and with purpose. Just doesn't use it enough. He has at times QB'd the PP. Walks the line extremely well, finds his teammates - again, has to learn to use his shot more in certain situations. From time to time, backs bad pinches, but he recovers well.

In the d-zone, he's shown he enjoys the physical game. Combined with his long reach and very active stick, he keeps opponents to the outside more often then not. Has some difficulty in getting himself into position without the puck - too often out of position.

Bukac was always going to be a project and was going to take some time. If he puts it all together, he can play in the NHL. His coaches in Brandon and Niagara often spoke of his raw potential.

Decision time is fast approaching for the Bruins. They'll have to decide whether they feel he can reach his potential and sign him, or not. The WJC could go a long way towards that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad