Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You think the bruins are gonna sign Bukac? I know his status was a bit up in the air with the league switch and everything but it seems like he’s figured things out a bit. I’m purely stat watching though so that’s why I want to defer to anybody who has actually seen him

Tough one. deadline is June 1 so we'll see.

He's never going to be a point producer, but I like his shut down abilities. And he's a right shot.

Reactions: CDJ

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
All these young guys need a spot next year, gotta get rid of black hole backes and his horrible contract. Gotta pay Mac and a few others and maybe Mojo.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
You think the bruins are gonna sign Bukac? I know his status was a bit up in the air with the league switch and everything but it seems like he’s figured things out a bit. I’m purely stat watching though so that’s why I want to defer to anybody who has actually seen him
I think they'll sign Bukac, Pare and Shen , the first 2 will certainly get an ATO when their season's are done,Shen's signing will be around prospect camp

Reactions: BBB24

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I think they'll sign Bukac, Pare and Shen , the first 2 will certainly get an ATO when their season's are done,Shen's signing will be around prospect camp

In regards to Pare, is he physical at all? He's got good size at 6'3'' 200 lbs. but he's clearly not a point producer in the "Q" so one would assume that he's not going to be a point producer at any level. What does he do well that would make him anything more than a bottom 6 AHLer? I haven't seen the player at all so going off nothing more than his production in the CHL. Maybe he could make a niche for himself somewhere if he's physical/nasty.

@ODAAT, you catch some QMJHL games, correct? Any insight?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
In regards to Pare, is he physical at all? He's got good size at 6'3'' 200 lbs. but he's clearly not a point producer in the "Q" so one would assume that he's not going to be a point producer at any level. What does he do well that would make him anything more than a bottom 6 AHLer? I haven't seen the player at all so going off nothing more than his production in the CHL. Maybe he could make a niche for himself somewhere if he's physical/nasty.

@ODAAT, you catch some QMJHL games, correct? Any insight?

@ODAAT switched allegiances. He's now a WHL guy!

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

@ODAAT, you catch some QMJHL games, correct? Any
I haven't seen him since prospect camp of his draft year, apparently he had a decent camp this year,I asked a bud who watches him frequently and said Pare is a decent 3 zone player
I guess we'll see

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
So, given the conversations on the relative skill level possessed by prospects like Cehlarik (who I am meh about) and Donato (who I like), i thought I'd share an old guy coach story.

In one of the programs I coached in, every year they would bring in an ex NHL guy before evaluations. Some years a player, but my favorite was a scout who came in and just blew us away with stories, but more so with what to look for in tryouts

My favorite quote was "Playing the game right is a skill too, and probably the most important one."

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
@ODAAT switched allegiances. He's now a WHL guy!

haha, well, not quite yet although I love seeing the completely different styles of the leagues. Victoria has a decent team but not world beaters and likely not a team we`ll see for the Mem Cup but who knows. Finding the WHL far more physical, more North/South hockey and a blast to watch

Reactions: b in vancouver

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I was doing a bit of research for my sim league and ran across a couple rating charts for teams top players under 25...

I thought why not take a moment and write out the best 23 man lineup I can make out of our own 25 and under players {id love if I missed anyone, you might respond and let me know}

{these lines are purely random for the most part}

David Pastrnak/Jack Studnicka/Jake debrusk
Anders Bjork/Forbaska Karlsson/Danton Heinen
Oskar Steen/Karson Kuhlman/Jakub Lauko
Zach Sheyshyn/Trent Federic/Peter Cehlarik
Anton Blidh/Cameron Hughes

Charlie McAvoy/Urho Vaakanainen
Brandon Carlo/Jakub Zboril
Matt Grzelyck/Jeremy Lauzon
Axel Axelsson

Daniel Vladar
Jeremy Swayman

I got to admit... the future looks pretty bright. other than anton blidh im not sure theres a single name here I would bet against being an nhl regular in 3-4 years time.

I question if we have a lot of top 50 talent though... other than pastrnak/McAvoy I don't really see any award winning studs

I guess I could see Bergeron/marchand/maybe coyle if he resigns/kuraly probably/moore if he passes through the expansion... all still being around in 3-4 years... maybe rask too???

and of course we will be adding a few picks into the equation in the next few drafts

is this a team that we think will still be contending for a cup I wonder? when is our window to win going to close on us? should we go for broke next year? should we be thinking of signing Johansson when hes up for ufa? or extending krug?

theres a lot of kids here im willing to bet on that will make it to NHL but now the question will be what is their upside impact when they do make it... and how do we put the puzzle together to win with these guys

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I was doing a bit of research for my sim league and ran across a couple rating charts for teams top players under 25...

I thought why not take a moment and write out the best 23 man lineup I can make out of our own 25 and under players {id love if I missed anyone, you might respond and let me know}

{these lines are purely random for the most part}

David Pastrnak/Jack Studnicka/Jake debrusk
Anders Bjork/Forbaska Karlsson/Danton Heinen
Oskar Steen/Karson Kuhlman/Jakub Lauko
Zach Sheyshyn/Trent Federic/Peter Cehlarik
Anton Blidh/Cameron Hughes

Charlie McAvoy/Urho Vaakanainen
Brandon Carlo/Jakub Zboril
Matt Grzelyck/Jeremy Lauzon
Axel Axelsson

Daniel Vladar
Jeremy Swayman

I got to admit... the future looks pretty bright. other than anton blidh im not sure theres a single name here I would bet against being an nhl regular in 3-4 years time.

I question if we have a lot of top 50 talent though... other than pastrnak/McAvoy I don't really see any award winning studs

I guess I could see Bergeron/marchand/maybe coyle if he resigns/kuraly probably/moore if he passes through the expansion... all still being around in 3-4 years... maybe rask too???

and of course we will be adding a few picks into the equation in the next few drafts

is this a team that we think will still be contending for a cup I wonder? when is our window to win going to close on us? should we go for broke next year? should we be thinking of signing Johansson when hes up for ufa? or extending krug?

theres a lot of kids here im willing to bet on that will make it to NHL but now the question will be what is their upside impact when they do make it... and how do we put the puzzle together to win with these guys
it drives me absolutely f***ing bonkers that you put the right side guys on the left & the left side guys on the right...like...why would you do that?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
it drives me absolutely ****ing bonkers that you put the right side guys on the left & the left side guys on the right...like...why would you do that?

If you are the opposition and facing them head to head then you would see them that way

If you are part of the team standing with them the right wing is o the right and lw on the left

This is how you would see if its your own team you are with

Its also how i saw it done 45 years ago when i became a fan.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
So, given the conversations on the relative skill level possessed by prospects like Cehlarik (who I am meh about) and Donato (who I like), i thought I'd share an old guy coach story.

In one of the programs I coached in, every year they would bring in an ex NHL guy before evaluations. Some years a player, but my favorite was a scout who came in and just blew us away with stories, but more so with what to look for in tryouts

My favorite quote was "Playing the game right is a skill too, and probably the most important one."

I've preached that, believed it, since I can remember - and have taught my kids and coached hockey and soccer that way also. It's hard to identify unless you really understand the game and know what you're looking for... but that's the best description of what I perceive as Sweeney's drafting philosophy (I've tried to say that much more awkwardly before) - but all these young kids they've brought in - and not all will work out - all seem to approach the game that way.

Doesn't always show up at camp or make people stand up - but just makes life that much easier when you're out on the ice with them.

Chip off the Rohloff

Jul 4, 2018
I really liked the Steen pick back in 2016 and it's been amazing to see his development hit another level this year. For those that watch the SHL more closely, what do you see his potential ceiling being? I see Steen being moved to the wing once he signs with Providence and helping address our organizational weakness at right wing.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
SHL isn’t a joke, for him to be doing what he’s doing at his age is very impressive. I’m excited to see how he looks over here

Prospect profile kinda reminds me of Marchand too lol. That’s what I remember reading about him on here back in the day
He's a mix of 2010-2011 Marchand with his feistyness and edge and PJ Axxelsson with his hands and skating.

Reactions: Estlin and Friar85

The Tank

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
As a supporter of Färjestad I thought that I could add my opinion of Oskar Steen.

So far during the season he has developed tremendously and especially since december. He still has his edge to his game but he is much more comfortable with the puck and plays with a huge confidence at the moment. During the season he has got quite a lot of ice time on the power play and he could get some time on Bruins PP2 sometime in the future IMO.
He is a great penalty killer and absolutely one of the best of Färjestads penalty killers.

If he chooses to go to North America next season I think he has a chance to make the Bruins roster.

And btw, tonight he has added 2 assists to his point tally.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
As a supporter of Färjestad I thought that I could add my opinion of Oskar Steen.

So far during the season he has developed tremendously and especially since december. He still has his edge to his game but he is much more comfortable with the puck and plays with a huge confidence at the moment. During the season he has got quite a lot of ice time on the power play and he could get some time on Bruins PP2 sometime in the future IMO.
He is a great penalty killer and absolutely one of the best of Färjestads penalty killers.

If he chooses to go to North America next season I think he has a chance to make the Bruins roster.

And btw, tonight he has added 2 assists to his point tally.

Many thanks - we certainly appreciate these updates from across the pond. Please feel welcome here any time - especially with GOOD NEWS on our Swede prospects! ;)

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Compare Steen's scoring rate to other U-21 forwards in the SHL in the past 10 years who've done the same. Every one of them has become an NHL player. The only question is if he's a middle-6 player like Calle Jarnkrok or another Viktor Arviddson/William Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->