Bruins Prospects VI - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Unfortunately the once best goalie in the AHL has been on a downhill slide since last year,he seems to have zero confidence and I have zero confidence watching him,I would love to know what happened, not long ago he was almost unbeatable, even the other teams announcers make mention of how far his play has dropped off.

Confidence and self-belief is such a funny thing. At one point I was fully expecting Zane to be Tuuka's backup this season, and I don't think I was alone in that feeling. Now he is a shell of what he was seemingly, and it doesn't even look likely right now that he gets his contract extended after this season.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Confidence and self-belief is such a funny thing. At one point I was fully expecting Zane to be Tuuka's backup this season, and I don't think I was alone in that feeling. Now he is a shell of what he was seemingly, and it doesn't even look likely right now that he gets his contract extended after this season.

It actually amazing how lack of confidence can kill so much a persons momentum. I imagine that a lot of Donato's struggles as well as guys like Heinen and Bjork are stemming from lack of confidence.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Keyser faced 51 shots last night. I can't believe how inconsistent his team has been because they look super-strong on paper but some nights they're terrible. He stopped 48 and got the 2nd star but the first one was a bit weak. Studnicka picked up an assist.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Gabrielle with 10 points so far with Atlanta
Looks like he's finding his game.

Giving him some love here.

BruinsNetwork

Frederic had a nice goal in crunch-time tonight when the P-Bruins needed him most, so that’s encouraging.

Another strong game from Senyshyn, just didn’t have points to show for it unfortunately.

Ryan Donato made his debut for Providence tonight and earned himself an assist off a shot from the point. It was a nice play and demonstrated how he can really drive the offense. I wouldn’t say he had a great game in particular, but he wasn’t bad by any means. He’s got the talent, hands, shot and IQ, just needs to work on a few things— he’ll be more than ok. I expect him to start racking up points and taking control of the game soon.

Very impressed with the jump that Frederic and Senyshyn have made so far though.

Also, on a side note, you’re going to have to actually watch the games in Providence this year more now than ever. This team is struggling right now and just don’t appear to be gelling together well, so only reading the stat sheets just won’t cut it if this play continues.

Some of the line combinations and PP-units haven’t meshed together that well so far, so I’m hoping Coach Leach changes things up a bit soon.

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
Is Lauko playing center for them?
He is playing on the wing on a line centerd by Peter Abandonato the Q 2nd leading scorer behind only Lafrenière. Didn't watch the last 2-3 games, so it might have change. From what I saw, I now understand the "inconstency" issue Czech posters had before the draft. As of now, he is invisible for a lot of time and then make a high skill play, so he is capable of more, but he often play way too safe with the puck. Probably still adjusting, but with his draft and international tournaments pedigree, he should be better than what he as shown right now. But I'm keeping in mind he was playing with adult in a pro league trying to avoid mistake to not get bench for the last two year. Didn't play much ever at the U20 level, so probably hasn't figure out what he can do with his skill set at that level imho.

BruinsNetwork

Couple of things I'd like to highlight here about Zboril and Senyshyn.

Senyshyn clearly has the ability to separate himself from the pack using his speed and skating. Not only does he get opportunities like this a lot, but most of them are due to his own effort or skill. Many people like to criticize him for his lack of "production," but he's producing plenty of opportunities each night. Unfortunately for him, his line mates can't always deliver and scoring-chances aren't converted much because of it. That's exactly what you saw here from Colby Cave. Now, I'm not knocking Cave as he's playing well and looks like a future bottom-six player in the NHL, but he's not of the same skillset or mold as Senyshyn.

I think if Senyshyn were given the opportunity to play alongside a true, high-end playmaker like David Krejci, then we would be really pleased with the results. I believe on twitter or this board a few months ago, that @Dom - OHL suggested that Studnicka & Senyshyn would make a combination that is "money," and I agree with him on this. This is a player that needs to be paired with a playmaker that can take advantage of his goal-scoring and separation abilities. He really does have some impressive skill, and he's already faster and stronger than he was last year. He's also ramped up the physicality while delivering several hits this year.

When it comes to Zboril, I still find him to be a bit inconsistent at times, but he usually makes up for it with great plays like this. The camera angle didn't do him justice, but make no mistake, he sent that puck through traffic, players and sticks to deliver it to Cehlarik in stride. Leach has stated before that he's trying to teach the defenders how to play defense at this level before offense, but Zboril has been given much more slack as of late. While his production isn't anything special right now because the team is struggling, he's creating chances and doing the right things to push the pace.

When Zboril is on his game, there are few defenseman out there who have that "full package" of skill like he does. He's off to a strong start so far and I really do think that he'll get a shot in Boston soon. I sometimes watch Zboril make nice plays to transition the puck or create a chance, but it's often "early" because his teammates can't keep up with his pace. Similar to Senyshyn, I think Zboril would look much better with players in the NHL around him as they can keep up with his high-end talent.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It's tough for a goaltender to only face four shots in the first period and stay "in the game". But that's what Kyle Keyser did last night turning it into a 34 save shutout with many spectacular saves. There was one sequence where the Generals were under siege and he punched out three scoring chances with his blocker right to a teammate, however, they were unable to clear. On another, he stopped Ryan Suzuki on a breakaway, and while laying on his belly, reached up and snagged the rebound shot from the trailer. It was basically a 2 on 0.

Now leads the OHL in goals against average and save percentage, well ahead of the only two OHL goaltenders drafted ahead of him.

Keyser1541415134.png

I'm not ready to anoint him the best goalie in the OHL just yet. Certainly in the top 3. But many are. The greatest player to ever play the game told me that Keyser will play in the NHL.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
could senyshyn's speed at least make the 4th line a bit of an offensive threat? I would at least like to see him get a chance as acciari isn't bringing anything to the table.

Reactions: Blowfish

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
One thing I've started to notice with Swayman is that he seems to play better on the 2nd night of facing a team...

Minnesota Duluth:
Game 1: 7 GA / 25 SV
Game 2: 3 GA / 41 SV

UCONN:
Game 1: 5 GA / 28 SV
Game 2: 2 GA / 26 SV

UMass Lowell:
Game 1: 3 GA / 27 SV
Game 2: 1 GA / 44 SV

I'm interested to see if the trend continues. Could be he has a strong understand of what adjustments to make in order to slow teams down. While its great that he seems to be able to do that the next night, you hope as the season progress, he can shrink that wait time down and make those adjustments between periods.

3 straight tough weekends coming up for Swayman and the Black Bears as their next 3 opponents look like this:

at Boston University
vs Quinnipiac University
at University of Vermont

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
One thing I've started to notice with Swayman is that he seems to play better on the 2nd night of facing a team...

Minnesota Duluth:
Game 1: 7 GA / 25 SV
Game 2: 3 GA / 41 SV

UCONN:
Game 1: 5 GA / 28 SV
Game 2: 2 GA / 26 SV

UMass Lowell:
Game 1: 3 GA / 27 SV
Game 2: 1 GA / 44 SV

I'm interested to see if the trend continues. Could be he has a strong understand of what adjustments to make in order to slow teams down. While its great that he seems to be able to do that the next night, you hope as the season progress, he can shrink that wait time down and make those adjustments between periods.

3 straight tough weekends coming up for Swayman and the Black Bears as their next 3 opponents look like this:

at Boston University
vs Quinnipiac University
at University of Vermont

A lot of it is due to excellent coaching, and by coaching I mean goaltending coach.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

BruinsNetwork

could senyshyn's speed at least make the 4th line a bit of an offensive threat? I would at least like to see him get a chance as acciari isn't bringing anything to the table.

No offense, but did you read my post? Senyshyn needs to be playing with high-end guys who can create opportunities and deliver passes. Kuraly and Wagner aren’t capable of doing that, just like Cave and Blidh aren’t capable of doing that in Providence.

While that isn’t a knock on Cave, because I actually think he can play in the NHL, that just isn’t really his game.

Now, if you want to make the argument that you’d rather see Blidh, Cave or Kuhlman get a chance instead of Acciari, then I wouldn’t debate that with you. I like Noel and am one of his biggest advocates, but he isn’t playing well and he could use a night or two off to reset.

Kuhlman is a quick skater and can really get around the ice, I’d like to see him in Boston on the fourth-line if things don’t start to turn around for them.

Reactions: 00BW and FanSince72

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
No offense, but did you read my post? Senyshyn needs to be playing with high-end guys who can create opportunities and deliver passes. Kuraly and Wagner aren’t capable of doing that, just like Cave and Blidh aren’t capable of doing that in Providence.

While that isn’t a knock on Cave, because I actually think he can play in the NHL, that just isn’t really his game.

Now, if you want to make the argument that you’d rather see Blidh, Cave or Kuhlman get a chance instead of Acciari, then I wouldn’t debate that with you. I like Noel and am one of his biggest advocates, but he isn’t playing well and he could use a night or two off to reset.

Kuhlman is a quick skater and can really get around the ice, I’d like to see him in Boston on the fourth-line if things don’t start to turn around for them.

I didn't quote your post so I'm not sure why the subtle "no offense". I'm no scout nor have I seen Senyshyn play a lot, but I do see what the Leafs did with Kapanen, which was let him play fourth line minutes and did see him use his speed against the Bruins last year. Eventually working him up with skilled players.

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018

Couple of things I'd like to highlight here about Zboril and Senyshyn.

Senyshyn clearly has the ability to separate himself from the pack using his speed and skating. Not only does he get opportunities like this a lot, but most of them are due to his own effort or skill. Many people like to criticize him for his lack of "production," but he's producing plenty of opportunities each night. Unfortunately for him, his line mates can't always deliver and scoring-chances aren't converted much because of it. That's exactly what you saw here from Colby Cave. Now, I'm not knocking Cave as he's playing well and looks like a future bottom-six player in the NHL, but he's not of the same skillset or mold as Senyshyn.

I think if Senyshyn were given the opportunity to play alongside a true, high-end playmaker like David Krejci, then we would be really pleased with the results. I believe on twitter or this board a few months ago, that @Dom - OHL suggested that Studnicka & Senyshyn would make a combination that is "money," and I agree with him on this. This is a player that needs to be paired with a playmaker that can take advantage of his goal-scoring and separation abilities. He really does have some impressive skill, and he's already faster and stronger than he was last year. He's also ramped up the physicality while delivering several hits this year.

When it comes to Zboril, I still find him to be a bit inconsistent at times, but he usually makes up for it with great plays like this. The camera angle didn't do him justice, but make no mistake, he sent that puck through traffic, players and sticks to deliver it to Cehlarik in stride. Leach has stated before that he's trying to teach the defenders how to play defense at this level before offense, but Zboril has been given much more slack as of late. While his production isn't anything special right now because the team is struggling, he's creating chances and doing the right things to push the pace.

When Zboril is on his game, there are few defenseman out there who have that "full package" of skill like he does. He's off to a strong start so far and I really do think that he'll get a shot in Boston soon. I sometimes watch Zboril make nice plays to transition the puck or create a chance, but it's often "early" because his teammates can't keep up with his pace. Similar to Senyshyn, I think Zboril would look much better with players in the NHL around him as they can keep up with his high-end talent.

I see what you want to say, but I'm can't agree with it. Senyshyn isn't in the best possible situation to produce? Fine, I can go with that. Krejci isn't in the best possible situation to produce too, he would produce much better with Pasta and Marchy, but hey, it won't happen, so he has to do the best he can with the situation he has, even if it's not perfect. In result Krejci is the 5th best Bruins in PPG. Not perfect, but solid result. Senyshyn, while not in the best situation, is tied for 16th in PPG with Providence, that's the equivalent of Carlo/Kuraly level on the Bruins. That means, no matter where he play, he play with players who produce MORE than him. In the case of Cave, it's more than 300% more. I'd like to know of a couple exemple of player who were no factors production wise on their AHL team who then became effective player on an offensive role in the NHL. If he can't produce in the AHL, he won't in the NHL. He needs to adapt and find "chemestry" with his teamate, you are not operating in a bubble, blaming the 4 guys outside your bubble, you're part of a 5 mans plan imho.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

If he were to get called up to Boston (which doesn't sound like that's in the plans anytime soon), who do you think he needs to play with in order to get the most out of his skill set? Could Krejci + DeBrusk do it? Nordstrom + Bjork/Heinen?

BruinsNetwork

I see what you want to say, but I'm can't agree with it. Senyshyn isn't in the best possible situation to produce? Fine, I can go with that. Krejci isn't in the best possible situation to produce too, he would produce much better with Pasta and Marchy, but hey, it won't happen, so he has to do the best he can with the situation he has, even if it's not perfect. In result Krejci is the 5th best Bruins in PPG. Not perfect, but solid result. Senyshyn, while not in the best situation, is tied for 16th in PPG with Providence, that's the equivalent of Carlo/Kuraly level on the Bruins. That means, no matter where he play, he play with players who produce MORE than him. In the case of Cave, it's more than 300% more. I'd like to know of a couple exemple of player who were no factors production wise on their AHL team who then became effective player on an offensive role in the NHL. If he can't produce in the AHL, he won't in the NHL. He needs to adapt and find "chemestry" with his teamate, you are not operating in a bubble, blaming the 4 guys outside your bubble, you're part of a 5 mans plan imho.

First of all, let’s not compare production and situations from players in the NHL with anyone in the AHL, especially a second-year prospect who still isn’t in a top-six role full-time.

The NHL is based on results and scoring, that’s all that matters. The coaches in the NHL are going to put their best players in the best position to increase chances of production and goals.

The AHL is and always will be a league that is primarily developmental above all else. It’s not always about points, and that’s evidently clear in Leach’s system. These players are receiving specific tasks and assignments.

Not that a defensive-minded defender and fourth-line grinder should be expected to produce much, they are in a much different situation than Senyshyn is. They are playing with NHL’ers, Zach Senyshyn isn’t. Some nights he’s playing with pure-grinders who don’t have much creativity or playmaking capability whatsoever.

I’m not really sure how these players or their production is related to Senyshyn in any way, shape or form. It’s apples to oranges, in my opinion.

You mention PPG and Colby Cave, yet Cave is having an outlier of a season in terms of production. Could he have turned the page this year and reached new heights in development? Sure. He’s playing well, and I’m not knocking him, but he’s never been the most offensively-gifted player and is more of a grinder than anything. Is it likely that he’s now an offensive-dynamo, or is this level of production sustainable? No, it’s not.

You’re asking a goal-score to adapt and gain chemistry with players who simply can’t get it done. This ISN’T the NHL, the bottom-six on teams in the AHL doesn’t have players anywhere close to that of the NHL. As well as Cave is playing, he still projects to be a bottom-six player in the NHL and has a skill set very relatable to those players.

Your mention of current PPG isn’t exactly a fair knock to use when Senyshyn’s 5-on-5 PPG last season was on-par with JFK, who received nothing but praise last year.

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but you’re clearly not a fan of the player and are looking for reasons to criticize him.

Bottom line: Senyshyn is playing well and he should be in the top-six, every night, playing on the PP next to the best players on the team.

Why isn’t he? Well, that’s something I’m not involved with and I’m sure there’s some things they’d like him to work on in the bottom-six still. I’m not sure, and while I haven’t agreed with some decisions Leach has made this year, it’s not up to me to put Senyshyn in the top-six. That’s his call and his team.

You can read stat-lines of prospects and formulate your opinion based off that, I can’t stop you. However, I’m providing visual evidence to support my claims after sifting through hours of video watching these prospects each night. Plays like this are frequent and they won’t show up on the stat sheet, and that’s not Senyshyn’s fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TCB and FanSince72

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
First of all, let’s not compare production and situations from players in the NHL with anyone in the AHL, especially a second-year prospect who still isn’t in a top-six role full-time.

The NHL is based on results and scoring, that’s all that matters. The coaches in the NHL are going to put their best players in the best position to increase chances of production and goals.

The AHL is and always will be a league that is primarily developmental above all else. It’s not always about points, and that’s evidently clear in Leach’s system. These players are receiving specific tasks and assignments.

Not that a defensive-minded defender and fourth-line grinder should be expected to produce much, they are in a much different situation than Senyshyn is. They are playing with NHL’ers, Zach Senyshyn isn’t. Some nights he’s playing with pure-grinders who don’t have much creativity or playmaking capability whatsoever.

I’m not really sure how these players or their production is related to Senyshyn in any way, shape or form. It’s apples to oranges, in my opinion.

You mention PPG and Colby Cave, yet Cave is having an outlier of a season in terms of production. Could he have turned the page this year and reached new heights in development? Sure. He’s playing well, and I’m not knocking him, but he’s never been the most offensively-gifted player and is more of a grinder than anything. Is it likely that he’s now an offensive-dynamo, or is this level of production sustainable? No, it’s not.

You’re asking a goal-score to adapt and gain chemistry with players who simply can’t get it done. This ISN’T the NHL, the bottom-six on teams in the AHL doesn’t have players anywhere close to that of the NHL. As well as Cave is playing, he still projects to be a bottom-six player in the NHL and has a skill set very relatable to those players.

Your mention of current PPG isn’t exactly a fair knock to use when Senyshyn’s 5-on-5 PPG last season was on-par with JFK, who received nothing but praise last year.

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but you’re clearly not a fan of the player and are looking for reasons to criticize him.

Bottom line: Senyshyn is playing well and he should be in the top-six, every night, playing on the PP next to the best players on the team.

Why isn’t he? Well, that’s something I’m not involved with and I’m sure there’s some things they’d like him to work on in the bottom-six still. I’m not sure, and while I haven’t agreed with some decisions Leach has made this year, it’s not up to me to put Senyshyn in the top-six. That’s his call and his team.

You can read stat-lines of prospects and formulate your opinion based off that, I can’t stop you. However, I’m providing visual evidence to support my claims after sifting through hours of video watching these prospects each night. Plays like this are frequent and they won’t show up on the stat sheet, and that’s not Senyshyn’s fault.
This type of stuff is what many need.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Why does everyone need to hate on Cave?

Final year of junior (draft year +2)
Senyshyn: 1.10 ppg
Cave: 1.04 ppg

Cave looked good in preseason, he looked good in Boston last year and he looks good so far in Providence. I don't know why he can't get any love around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad