Bruins Prospects VI - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
First of all, let’s not compare production and situations from players in the NHL with anyone in the AHL, especially a second-year prospect who still isn’t in a top-six role full-time.

The NHL is based on results and scoring, that’s all that matters. The coaches in the NHL are going to put their best players in the best position to increase chances of production and goals.

The AHL is and always will be a league that is primarily developmental above all else. It’s not always about points, and that’s evidently clear in Leach’s system. These players are receiving specific tasks and assignments.

Not that a defensive-minded defender and fourth-line grinder should be expected to produce much, they are in a much different situation than Senyshyn is. They are playing with NHL’ers, Zach Senyshyn isn’t. Some nights he’s playing with pure-grinders who don’t have much creativity or playmaking capability whatsoever.

I’m not really sure how these players or their production is related to Senyshyn in any way, shape or form. It’s apples to oranges, in my opinion.

You mention PPG and Colby Cave, yet Cave is having an outlier of a season in terms of production. Could he have turned the page this year and reached new heights in development? Sure. He’s playing well, and I’m not knocking him, but he’s never been the most offensively-gifted player and is more of a grinder than anything. Is it likely that he’s now an offensive-dynamo, or is this level of production sustainable? No, it’s not.

You’re asking a goal-score to adapt and gain chemistry with players who simply can’t get it done. This ISN’T the NHL, the bottom-six on teams in the AHL doesn’t have players anywhere close to that of the NHL. As well as Cave is playing, he still projects to be a bottom-six player in the NHL and has a skill set very relatable to those players.

Your mention of current PPG isn’t exactly a fair knock to use when Senyshyn’s 5-on-5 PPG last season was on-par with JFK, who received nothing but praise last year.

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but you’re clearly not a fan of the player and are looking for reasons to criticize him.

Bottom line: Senyshyn is playing well and he should be in the top-six, every night, playing on the PP next to the best players on the team.

Why isn’t he? Well, that’s something I’m not involved with and I’m sure there’s some things they’d like him to work on in the bottom-six still. I’m not sure, and while I haven’t agreed with some decisions Leach has made this year, it’s not up to me to put Senyshyn in the top-six. That’s his call and his team.

You can read stat-lines of prospects and formulate your opinion based off that, I can’t stop you. However, I’m providing visual evidence to support my claims after sifting through hours of video watching these prospects each night. Plays like this are frequent and they won’t show up on the stat sheet, and that’s not Senyshyn’s fault.

Since the coach and the Bruins brass see it more like I am and less like you do, are they " not a fan of the player and are looking for reasons to criticize him"?
I appreciate your inupt, I disagree with it, but hope you are right, Bruins defenitly need an injection of offense and if Senyshyn bring it I'll be more than happy to say you were right and I was wrong.

P.S. I do miss on projecting some player, I remember a friend of mine who is a habs fan raving about Marchand in 2008, and I was saying I didn't think his game would translate to the pro ... Man was I wrong. I'm not saying I have the truth, but my opinion is the fault is not always all arround Senyshyn, it is himself too.

BruinsNetwork

Why does everyone need to hate on Cave?

Final year of junior (draft year +2)
Senyshyn: 1.10 ppg
Cave: 1.04 ppg

Cave looked good in preseason, he looked good in Boston last year and he looks good so far in Providence. I don't know why he can't get any love around here.

Who’s hating on Cave? Because it sure isn’t me.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I've been trying to make the case that Cave is a good prospect and no one agrees. Look in the off-season polls, I don't even think he made the top-25. You say you're not hating on him but you call his production an outlier. His production in junior was about the same as Senyshyns (and his team was worse). Maybe Cave is a better prospect than 'the consensus' here believes. I'm not saying he's a top-6 guy and he's a longshot for 3rd line center but the guy has a case to be an NHLer.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Why does everyone need to hate on Cave?

Final year of junior (draft year +2)
Senyshyn: 1.10 ppg
Cave: 1.04 ppg

Cave looked good in preseason, he looked good in Boston last year and he looks good so far in Providence. I don't know why he can't get any love around here.
Sorry but I didn’t get any Cave hate from that at all. It read like someone’s knowledgeable, realistic opinion, of a players abilities. Nowhere did he say Cave could not make the big club. He just gave his opinion that if Cave makes the Boston Bruins, it probably will not be in a primarily scoring role. That’s not hate. That’s not even that bad.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I was just scanning stats in Providence and... yikes. I'll be told that doesn't mean much but that doesn't look ideal.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Senyshyn's been outstanding this year apart from one game against Bridgeport.

Rooting for the kid. He’s got a good tool box and the effort is there but to say he has been outstanding is a little silly. I’ve seen a bunch of games this year and I would describe him as inconsistent and still learning how to play against men. I didn’t see the games in Charlotte last weekend so maybe I shouldn’t comment, but he went two games without a shot on goal. That doesn’t scream outstanding to me.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Rooting for the kid. He’s got a good tool box and the effort is there but to say he has been outstanding is a little silly. I’ve seen a bunch of games this year and I would describe him as inconsistent and still learning how to play against men. I didn’t see the games in Charlotte last weekend so maybe I shouldn’t comment, but he went two games without a shot on goal. That doesn’t scream outstanding to me.
He's considerably stronger on his skates and winning way more 50/50 battles this year, to my eye. I think in a more consistent offensive role, you'd see more consistent offense. I like his confidence carrying the puck into the offensive zone instead of stopping and staring around the red line like he did a lot last year. For me, he's been very, very good and I expect him to be better as the season progresses.

Reactions: FanSince72

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Question for those who watch Providence often:

How has Frederic been? How close is he to being NHL ready?
Like to see him use his linemates better or just survey the ice more I guess, I think he tries too hard at times, if that makes sense. I think he's an NHL player right now, just maybe not ready to be playing top-9 mins every night. He'd be better than Acciari imo.

Reactions: FanSince72

tremha

Mar 9, 2011

Couple of things I'd like to highlight here about Zboril and Senyshyn.

Senyshyn clearly has the ability to separate himself from the pack using his speed and skating. Not only does he get opportunities like this a lot, but most of them are due to his own effort or skill. Many people like to criticize him for his lack of "production," but he's producing plenty of opportunities each night. Unfortunately for him, his line mates can't always deliver and scoring-chances aren't converted much because of it. That's exactly what you saw here from Colby Cave. Now, I'm not knocking Cave as he's playing well and looks like a future bottom-six player in the NHL, but he's not of the same skillset or mold as Senyshyn.

I think if Senyshyn were given the opportunity to play alongside a true, high-end playmaker like David Krejci, then we would be really pleased with the results. I believe on twitter or this board a few months ago, that @Dom - OHL suggested that Studnicka & Senyshyn would make a combination that is "money," and I agree with him on this. This is a player that needs to be paired with a playmaker that can take advantage of his goal-scoring and separation abilities. He really does have some impressive skill, and he's already faster and stronger than he was last year. He's also ramped up the physicality while delivering several hits this year.

When it comes to Zboril, I still find him to be a bit inconsistent at times, but he usually makes up for it with great plays like this. The camera angle didn't do him justice, but make no mistake, he sent that puck through traffic, players and sticks to deliver it to Cehlarik in stride. Leach has stated before that he's trying to teach the defenders how to play defense at this level before offense, but Zboril has been given much more slack as of late. While his production isn't anything special right now because the team is struggling, he's creating chances and doing the right things to push the pace.

When Zboril is on his game, there are few defenseman out there who have that "full package" of skill like he does. He's off to a strong start so far and I really do think that he'll get a shot in Boston soon. I sometimes watch Zboril make nice plays to transition the puck or create a chance, but it's often "early" because his teammates can't keep up with his pace. Similar to Senyshyn, I think Zboril would look much better with players in the NHL around him as they can keep up with his high-end talent.

thanks for the update = isn't the knock on Zboril is that he is inconsistent and that is what is holding him back?

Senyshyn has always had the speed and that is why he did well in JR,...the issue becomes one of can he play at each successive level where yes speed helps but skill improves dramatically across the board and it becomes tougher to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad