Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects IX - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Agreed. The hold up is because we have guys like Z, Krug and Gryz. I feel as if Lauzon could play top 4-6 on most other clubs right now though. Same could apply to Zboril.

It is an embarrassment of riches right now, but if things happen a certain way, this time next year we could be looking at just Gryz and Moore manning the left side and then you certainly want the options that those three bring. You are right Lauzon and probably Zboril too could be on a lot of teams' opening night rosters.

Reactions: Trizz617

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
It is an embarrassment of riches right now, but if things happen a certain way, this time next year we could be looking at just Gryz and Moore manning the left side and then you certainly want the options that those three bring. You are right Lauzon and probably Zboril too could be on a lot of teams' opening night rosters.

Don't forget Vaakanainen. Loved the games I saw him play for Finland here in the WJCs.

Reactions: DKH and Dr Hook

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Tableau Public
Back in March, Tierney did a pNHL chart for all AHL players. Vaakanainen had a ridiculous 59.04. I think a large part of that is the points while being 19 for half the season while in the AHL.

There is a reason the Bruins consider him their top prospect.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
"Because the Bruins had a lot of picks in 2015-17 plus undrafted free agents put into the mix, they don’t have a great deal of room to draft a lot more OR take players who are going to be forced to sign and turn pro within the two-year pick and sign window mandated for major junior players. Bradley confirmed this after all the picks were in by saying that unless a CHL player was someone they were absolutely sure on this time around, they were looking more at college and European players who can develop on a longer timeline. This explains to a degree why the B’s passed on Arthur Kaliyev and his 51 goals- you don’t have to like it or agree but it there is anything the electric OHL scorer showed, it was despite the impressive scoring, he was not a sure bet- otherwise he wouldn’t have fallen out of the 1st round. Other teams who don’t have as many prospects vying for contracts and spots in the pipeline have to take a more CHL (major junior)-centric approach in their drafting. It’s a cycle and so the B’s are in a different place right now than other clubs- observers don’t have to like it, but it demonstrates the thinking behind some of these selections."

If that is the case, that seems like a terrible way to approach the draft. The smart way is to take the player you think is the most likely to have the best NHL career for your team...period. There should be zero other considerations that go into the decision. Saying "well, there might be a lot of competition for contract/roster spots so let's take a player who we won't have to sign for a few more years" is exactly how you end up with inferior players. You take the best player available and if a logjam occurs down the road, then you trade players for assets at that point.

Now who knows, one would assume/hope the Bruins genuinely think Beecher will have a better career than Lavoie/Kaliyev/Brink...and they could very well be proven right in a few years -- and the Bruins have drafted well enough in recent years to probably get the benefit of the doubt -- but hearing that this sort of thing is even a consideration (let alone potentially a main consideration) is pretty worrisome in my opinion.

I wouldn't assume the Bruins believe Beecher will be as good, or better, than the prospects they passed up.

Having said that, I see the logic of selecting prospects for long term development while saving money to resign important players who will be up sooner.

However, if they aren't going to draft players with much greater potential and risk to restock the middle (or D, or G), then they're going to have to go outside the organization for impact players to do so. This is not Sweeney's strong suit.

That makes me worry a bit.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Tableau Public
Back in March, Tierney did a pNHL chart for all AHL players. Vaakanainen had a ridiculous 59.04. I think a large part of that is the points while being 19 for half the season while in the AHL.

There is a reason the Bruins consider him their top prospect.

It also has Henri Jokiharj and Lawrence Pilut around 90pts, so not sure what to think of the data.

Reactions: 00BW

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Good to see top prospect, Anders Bjork, getting back to action playing for the CPHL this summer. Must have a green light from the meds. Good tuneup for DC and TC.

Bjork is the only prospect I see having the chance to make a real impact next year. He can skate and shoot:

Reactions: Trizz617 and Estlin

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
"Because the Bruins had a lot of picks in 2015-17 plus undrafted free agents put into the mix, they don’t have a great deal of room to draft a lot more OR take players who are going to be forced to sign and turn pro within the two-year pick and sign window mandated for major junior players. Bradley confirmed this after all the picks were in by saying that unless a CHL player was someone they were absolutely sure on this time around, they were looking more at college and European players who can develop on a longer timeline. This explains to a degree why the B’s passed on Arthur Kaliyev and his 51 goals- you don’t have to like it or agree but it there is anything the electric OHL scorer showed, it was despite the impressive scoring, he was not a sure bet- otherwise he wouldn’t have fallen out of the 1st round. Other teams who don’t have as many prospects vying for contracts and spots in the pipeline have to take a more CHL (major junior)-centric approach in their drafting. It’s a cycle and so the B’s are in a different place right now than other clubs- observers don’t have to like it, but it demonstrates the thinking behind some of these selections."

If that is the case, that seems like a terrible way to approach the draft. The smart way is to take the player you think is the most likely to have the best NHL career for your team...period. There should be zero other considerations that go into the decision. Saying "well, there might be a lot of competition for contract/roster spots so let's take a player who we won't have to sign for a few more years" is exactly how you end up with inferior players. You take the best player available and if a logjam occurs down the road, then you trade players for assets at that point.

Now who knows, one would assume/hope the Bruins genuinely think Beecher will have a better career than Lavoie/Kaliyev/Brink...and they could very well be proven right in a few years -- and the Bruins have drafted well enough in recent years to probably get the benefit of the doubt -- but hearing that this sort of thing is even a consideration (let alone potentially a main consideration) is pretty worrisome in my opinion.

People thinking Kaliyev was a missed pick really don’t understand the player at all. He screams of a player that will peak in junior. He’s not a great skater, plays a disinterested defensive game and constantly cheats toward offensive side of the puck. He has a great release on his off wing on the power play where he scored half his goals this year, that’s it. If he doesn’t turn into a Laine (which is a huge stretch), I doubt he adapts to the NHL game. I’m glad we passed on this player.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
when?

If Lauzon were a top 4 D-man, its hard to see how he hasn't pushed Gryzz or Clifton out of the picture then.

it was a little hard to see how johnny boychuk was a top 4 when Colorado let him go as a 23 year old... when brendon Dillon turned 22 with dallas he had 1 nhl game under his belt in his career... was hard to see him as a top 4 too

not all 22 year olds end up going on to have careers like boychuk/Dillon but its often hard to see it coming before it gets here.

I think lauzon could easily be compared to kids like boychuk and Dillon as far as overall talent/and expectations/and development

lets hope he reaches the same next level they did

Reactions: Trizz617

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
It also has Henri Jokiharj and Lawrence Pilut around 90pts, so not sure what to think of the data.
It's difficult projecting prospects and numbers are only part of the story. I think that chart is useful when comparing like to like to see who is projecting as an NHL player. It also didn't include the full AHL season as the chart was created in March, about a month and a half before the end of the season. Vaak finally came back from his concussion and put up points at a better pace at the end of the season.

So if you look at the D in Providence, Vaakanainen is tops by a wide margin. Jokiharju is an equally great player for Chicago. Interestingly, Jokiharju is supposed to be a PP wiz like Krug while Vaakanainen is supposed to be a shutdown guy like Carlo. However their WJC-20 and AHL points are almost identical.
Joki: 2G, 3A in 7 WJC games, while Vaak had 0G, 4A in 7.
Joki had 2G, 15A in 30 AHL games, while Vaak had 4G, 10A in 30 AHL games.

In about 2 years, they will be Team Findland's top D pair for a decade.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
It's difficult projecting prospects and numbers are only part of the story. I think that chart is useful when comparing like to like to see who is projecting as an NHL player. It also didn't include the full AHL season as the chart was created in March, about a month and a half before the end of the season. Vaak finally came back from his concussion and put up points at a better pace at the end of the season.

So if you look at the D in Providence, Vaakanainen is tops by a wide margin. Jokiharju is an equally great player for Chicago. Interestingly, Jokiharju is supposed to be a PP wiz like Krug while Vaakanainen is supposed to be a shutdown guy like Carlo. However their WJC-20 and AHL points are almost identical.
Joki: 2G, 3A in 7 WJC games, while Vaak had 0G, 4A in 7.
Joki had 2G, 15A in 30 AHL games, while Vaak had 4G, 10A in 30 AHL games.

In about 2 years, they will be Team Findland's top D pair for a decade.

Definitely makes sense to compare within the teams for sure. List can definitely be useful for a ranking of "potential", aside from the specific numbers it shows.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Not if he was my kid

Michigan is his best route

Plays against bigger and older kids that will nullify the size strength he’d have in the CHL

Plus the education he could start on is huge

And don’t forget those intelligent midwestern college babes
You had me at college babes.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Not if he was my kid

Michigan is his best route

Plays against bigger and older kids that will nullify the size strength he’d have in the CHL

Plus the education he could start on is huge

And don’t forget those intelligent midwestern college babes
Wait! Are you insinuating that intelligent, mid Rhode Island college babes are somehow inferior??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad