Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects IX - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Prospect reset...

CENTERS
John Beecher, University of Michigan (18)
Ryan Fitzgerald, Providence Bruins (24)
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, Vaxjo (22)
Trent Frederic, Providence Bruins (21)
Curtis Hall, Yale University (19)
Cameron Hughes, Providence Bruins (22)
Joona Koppanen, Providence Bruins (21)
Pavel Shen, Tolpar Ufa (19)
Jack Studnicka, Providence Bruins (20)

RIGHT SHOT WINGS
Jack Becker, University of Michigan (22)
Karson Kuhlman, Providence Bruins??? (23)
Zach Senyshyn, Providence Bruins (22)
Oskar Steen, Providence Bruins (21)

LEFT SHOT WINGS
Anders Bjork, Providence Bruins (23)
Anton Blidh, Providence Bruins (24)
Peter Cehlarik, Providence Bruins (23)
Alex Khokhlachev, Spartak Moscow (25)
Jakub Lauko, Rouyn-Noranda (19)
Matias Mantykivi, SaiPa (18)
Quinn Olson, University of Minnesota-Duluth (18)
Jake Schmaltz, University of North Dakota (18)

RIGHT SHOT DEFENSE
Axel Andersson, Djurgardens (19)
Victor Berglund, Providence Bruins (20)
Cameron Clarke, Ferris State University (23)

LEFT SHOT DEFENSE
Linus Arnesson, Farjestad (24)
Roman Bychkov, Yaroslavl Lokomotiv (18)
Emil Johansson, HV71 (23)
Jeremy Lauzon, Providence Bruins (22)
Dustyn McFaul, Clarkson University (19)
Wiley Sherman, Providence Bruins (24)
Urho Vaakanainen, Providence Bruins (20)
Jakub Zboril, Providence Bruins (22)

GOALIES
Kyle Keyser, Providence Bruins (20)
Jeremy Swayman, University of Maine (20)
Daniel Vladar, Providence Bruins (22)

posting.

My best guess at rankings

CENTERS
1 . John Beecher, University of Michigan (18)
2 . Jack Studnicka, Providence Bruins (20)
3. Pavel Shen, Tolpar Ufa (19)
3 . Cameron Hughes, Providence Bruins (22)
4 . Trent Frederic, Providence Bruins (21)
5 . Curtis Hall, Yale University (19)

RIGHT SHOT WINGS
1 . Oskar Steen, Providence Bruins (21)
2. Karson Kuhlman, Providence Bruins??? (23)
3 . Zach Senyshyn, Providence Bruins (22)

LEFT SHOT WINGS
1 . Jakub Lauko, Rouyn-Noranda (19)
2 . Alex Khokhlachev, Spartak Moscow (25)
3. Anders Bjork, Providence Bruins (23)
4 . Peter Cehlarik, Providence Bruins (23)
5 . Quinn Olson, University of Minnesota-Duluth (18)

RIGHT SHOT DEFENSE
1 . Axel Andersson, Djurgardens (19)

LEFT SHOT DEFENSE
1 . Urho Vaakanainen, Providence Bruins (20)
2 . Jeremy Lauzon, Providence Bruins (22)
3 . Jakub Zboril, Providence Bruins (22)
4 . Roman Bychkov, Yaroslavl Lokomotiv (18)

McFaul, Clarkson University (19)

GOALIES
1 . Kyle Keyser, Providence Bruins (20)
1 . Jeremy Swayman, University of Maine (20)
1 Daniel Vladar, Providence Bruins (22)

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
posting.

CENTERS

beecher over studnicka? as bill lumberg said, i'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree.

also don't see what the excitement is with shen. looks like a bottom 6 guy at best.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
posting.

CENTERS

RIGHT SHOT WINGS
1 . Oskar Steen, Providence Bruins (21)
2. Karson Kuhlman, Providence Bruins??? (23)
3 . Zach Senyshyn, Providence Bruins (22)

LEFT SHOT WINGS
1 . Jakub Lauko, Rouyn-Noranda (19)
2 . Alex Khokhlachev, Spartak Moscow (25)
3. Anders Bjork, Providence Bruins (23)
4 . Peter Cehlarik, Providence Bruins (23)
5 . Quinn Olson, University of Minnesota-Duluth (18)

RIGHT SHOT DEFENSE
1 . Axel Andersson, Djurgardens (19)

LEFT SHOT DEFENSE
1 . Urho Vaakanainen, Providence Bruins (20)
2 . Jeremy Lauzon, Providence Bruins (22)
3 . Jakub Zboril, Providence Bruins (22)
4 . Roman Bychkov, Yaroslavl Lokomotiv (18)

McFaul, Clarkson University (19)

GOALIES
1 . Kyle Keyser, Providence Bruins (20)
1 . Jeremy Swayman, University of Maine (20)
1 Daniel Vladar, Providence Bruins (22)

Very much focused on Potential (which is defined by we have seen them least so we don't know their flaws yet)

Kuhlman vs Steen is an interesting one. Kuhlman certainly looks like a guy who will spend 10 years in the NHL. Steen had a nice year in Sweden, but remains to be seen if he'll ever play an NHL game. But yes there is a chance he could be a middle 6 winger

C - I have Studnicka 1 and Frederick #2 . Maybe if Beecher goes to Michigan and puts up 35-40 points this year, then maybe he moves up to #1. And Pavel Shen over Frederick? I hope he comes over and proves to be that type of guy, but we are talking about a guy who has 3 pts in 49 KHL games. I know Frederick didn't put up any points, but he did play 15 NHL games, and wasn't completely out of place

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site

"Because the Bruins had a lot of picks in 2015-17 plus undrafted free agents put into the mix, they don’t have a great deal of room to draft a lot more OR take players who are going to be forced to sign and turn pro within the two-year pick and sign window mandated for major junior players. Bradley confirmed this after all the picks were in by saying that unless a CHL player was someone they were absolutely sure on this time around, they were looking more at college and European players who can develop on a longer timeline. This explains to a degree why the B’s passed on Arthur Kaliyev and his 51 goals- you don’t have to like it or agree but it there is anything the electric OHL scorer showed, it was despite the impressive scoring, he was not a sure bet- otherwise he wouldn’t have fallen out of the 1st round. Other teams who don’t have as many prospects vying for contracts and spots in the pipeline have to take a more CHL (major junior)-centric approach in their drafting. It’s a cycle and so the B’s are in a different place right now than other clubs- observers don’t have to like it, but it demonstrates the thinking behind some of these selections."

If that is the case, that seems like a terrible way to approach the draft. The smart way is to take the player you think is the most likely to have the best NHL career for your team...period. There should be zero other considerations that go into the decision. Saying "well, there might be a lot of competition for contract/roster spots so let's take a player who we won't have to sign for a few more years" is exactly how you end up with inferior players. You take the best player available and if a logjam occurs down the road, then you trade players for assets at that point.

Now who knows, one would assume/hope the Bruins genuinely think Beecher will have a better career than Lavoie/Kaliyev/Brink...and they could very well be proven right in a few years -- and the Bruins have drafted well enough in recent years to probably get the benefit of the doubt -- but hearing that this sort of thing is even a consideration (let alone potentially a main consideration) is pretty worrisome in my opinion.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
beecher over studnicka? as bill lumberg said, i'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree.

also don't see what the excitement is with shen. looks like a bottom 6 guy at best.
Agree with Studnicka as the best Bruins forward prospect, though a case can still be made for Bjork if he can learn not to get steamrolled in the NHL with a season ending injury.

I would not have put him above Frederic or Hughes in that order, but Shen right now is where Steen was 2 years ago. They put up points playing against the same age players internationally but are role players or bit players in their respective Men's Leagues. Steen broke out offensively in his draft +3 season this year. Since Shen was an overage pick by 2 days, this coming year will be his equivalent draft +3 season to see if he can start to score in the KHL. Shen was a monster at both the Jr Super Series and the WJC-20 this year which is why there is hope that he ages into that same capability against older and more experienced players. But we need to see him do it before raising our expectations.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Agree with Studnicka as the best Bruins forward prospect, though a case can still be made for Bjork if he can learn not to get steamrolled in the NHL with a season ending injury.

I would not have put him above Frederic or Hughes in that order, but Shen right now is where Steen was 2 years ago. They put up points playing against the same age players internationally but are role players or bit players in their respective Men's Leagues. Steen broke out offensively in his draft +3 season this year. Since Shen was an overage pick by 2 days, this coming year will be his equivalent draft +3 season to see if he can start to score in the KHL. Shen was a monster at both the Jr Super Series and the WJC-20 this year which is why there is hope that he ages into that same capability against older and more experienced players. But we need to see him do it before raising our expectations.

or the AHL :eek:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Me either, his skating was no where near NHL caliber, not even close, from what I saw at the WJC. I'd be surprised if we ever see him in NA let alone the NHL.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
That prospect list is looking weak. Any top 6 forwards in that lot?

Vaak can be a top pair guy IMO then it’s all bottom pair.

Well it helps that your two top defenseman are 22 and 21 and are two of the top defenseman in the NHL, you add in Vaak and don't forget about Lauzon who I feel could easily play top 4 minutes as soon as next year and that's a pretty dam good top 4 for many many years ahead. Who all are younger or as young as other teams top prospects.

Also add in a 24 year old Clifton, 25 year old Grizz. The last position I'd be worrying about is the Bruins defensive future, as Sweeney has a great track record already of being able to draft defenseman, So it wouldn't surprise me at all if any of others defensive prospects make an impact in the near future.

I wouldn't forget about Zboril he could still make an impact, but my guess it will more than likely be with another team and it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of Anderson, Berguland, Bychkov become a top 4 defenseman before its all said and done.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

You might be right I may be crazy.....

I've watched Studnicka more than a few times and have maintained some of you are way over rating him. Watching Beecher vids and knowing he was 3rd C behind Hughes and Turcotte I think he will surprise allot of folk.

Not sure many will remember however Shen was a force last world juniors. Showing skill/strong 2 way play. He was very impressive.

Jan 1, 2019 - VANCOUVER — Pavel Shen scored the winning goal to give Russia a 2-1 victory over Canada in their final regulation round game at the 2019 ...

Last edited:

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Well it helps that your two top defenseman are 22 and 21 and are two of the top defenseman in the NHL, you add in Vaak and don't forget about Lauzon who I feel could easily play top 4 minutes as soon as next year and that's a pretty dam good top 4 for many many years ahead. Who all are younger or as young as other teams top prospects.

Also add in a 24 year old Clifton, 25 year old Grizz. The last position I'd be worrying about is the Bruins defensive future, as Sweeney has a great track record already of being able to draft defenseman, So it wouldn't surprise me at all if any of others defensive prospects make an impact in the near future.

I wouldn't forget about Zboril he could still make an impact, but my guess it will more than likely be with another team and it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of Anderson, Berguland, Bychkov become a top 4 defenseman before its all said and done.

Say you HAD to trade Lauzon or Vaak this summer, who would you choose?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
My list now after the draft if we are counting bjork would go

1. Studnicka
2. Vaakananien
3. Steen
4. Beecher
5. Bjork
6. Frederic
7. Lauko
8. Keyser
9. Lauzon
10. Senyshyn

Reactions: HustleB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
That prospect list is looking weak. Any top 6 forwards in that lot?

Vaak can be a top pair guy IMO then it’s all bottom pair.

I don't see why Studnicka and Lauko can't be top 6 forwards in this league. They seem to have 'it'. Bjork has Top 6 potential, if he can stay healthy. Also, after the season Oskar Steen had in one of the top leagues in the world as a 20/21 year old, I think he has some potential as well. Would it be nice to add a a guy to this group that slides everyone down? Of course.

Lauzon and Zboril still have Top 4 potential.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't see why Studnicka and Lauko can't be top 6 forwards in this league. They seem to have 'it'. Bjork has Top 6 potential, if he can stay healthy. Also, after the season Oskar Steen had in one of the top leagues in the world as a 20/21 year old, I think he has some potential as well. Would it be nice to add a a guy to this group that slides everyone down? Of course.

Lauzon and Zboril still have Top 4 potential.

I think the good thing is the league is changing, so basically it's a 12 man unit that you have to roll and have a really good PP. The roles are less defined these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->