Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I have a hunch that Mcquire is either buddies or on really good terms with Sweeney. He always speaks highly of him whenever he mentions the B's on TSN radio in Montreal and Ottawa. He also gets a lot of prospect information from the teams themselves and then passes it off as his own. He has said that he believes the B's are already slotting McAvoy and JFK into the lineup after this weekend. Whether his assesments of prospects are accurate or not I do believe he is in the know when it comes to the Bruins.

Can we all agree that if JFK and McAvoy are already slotted in the lineup than its Hayes and C Miller that sits?

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
McAvoy has potential to be outstanding, but there is no way he's better, now, than any of the Bruins' varsity defensemen. He would be eaten alive. He needs substantial AHL time, if not another year at BU.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
McAvoy has potential to be outstanding, but there is no way he's better, now, than any of the Bruins' varsity defensemen. He would be eaten alive. He needs substantial AHL time, if not another year at BU.

I think the majority of us felt the same way about Carlo? I'm not going to say for sure that McAvoy won't be able to step in and take a regular shift next Fall, but I think he would be hard pressed to do it now.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
It's a mistake for either mcavoy or JFK to be inserted into bostons lineup at the end of the year. Won't that burn a year off the elc? I'd rather have 3 full years of potential impact over 2 years and 5 games

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's a mistake for either mcavoy or JFK to be inserted into bostons lineup at the end of the year. Won't that burn a year off the elc? I'd rather have 3 full years of potential impact over 2 years and 5 games

It would burn a year, yes, but in a lot cases now players/agents are insisting upon that type of deal to reduce the actual amount of time spent at the "low" entry-level wage.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.

Yes but this regime is desperate to make the playoffs. Jacobs wants the playoffs so they don't have much of a choice but to swing for the fences...

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Can we all agree that if JFK and McAvoy are already slotted in the lineup than its Hayes and C Miller that sits?

Yes that is what I see happening. I still hope it would be Kevan Miller that sits. One of the few positives I hoped for in the coaching change was that Kevan Miller would sit and Joe Morrow - Colin Miller would be our 3rd pairing, its pretty clear that isin't going to happen.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Yes that is what I see happening. I still hope it would be Kevan Miller that sits. One of the few positives I hoped for in the coaching change was that Kevan Miller would sit and Joe Morrow - Colin Miller would be our 3rd pairing, its pretty clear that isin't going to happen.

Over the past 20 games...I haven't had an issue with K.Miller.

C.Miller has played worse.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Over the past 20 games...I haven't had an issue with K.Miller.

C.Miller has played worse.

Yep, down the stretch I trust Kevan way more than Colin. Clearly Colin has the better potential but he still can't consistently play a stretch of games without some boneheaded plays in there.

If McAvoy were to play I doubt they bench the vet over the youngster as well - Colin would surely be sitting.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
It would burn a year, yes, but in a lot cases now players/agents are insisting upon that type of deal to reduce the actual amount of time spent at the "low" entry-level wage.

This doesn't always have to be a bad thing, if you can get a player to sign a 2/3/4 year bridge deal at the end of the shortened ELC. A lot of players seem to peak in that third year in the show - we've only got to look at Pasta.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So it's never happened across the league?

I did have Krug in mind as someone else pointed out, and that was a bit of a different situation, but I read something about JFK or McAvoy possibly being pitched a deal like that also (think it was Kirk's Scouting Post but I won't swear to it). I don't know that it's usual at this point, though maybe others know of examples, but even if not, once it happens, like the NMC phenomenon, I think it can become part of the landscape. There was a time when NTC or NMCs were pretty rare, now they are all over the place. Anyway, for a college player who can opt to play his senior year then go the FA route like Vesey did, it's probably something that could be on the table as an inducement to sign.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This doesn't always have to be a bad thing, if you can get a player to sign a 2/3/4 year bridge deal at the end of the shortened ELC. A lot of players seem to peak in that third year in the show - we've only got to look at Pasta.

I agree, I don't think it's that big of a deal to burn a year off an ELC. IF they perform like gangbusters, then they get a better deal after two full years, if they are where most players are at that point, a bridge deal is likely and not that much more expensive.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Krug did, but of course he was a FA and had numerous bidders and could make demands like that.

There have been rumors that could be part of the pitch to Bjork.

i haven't spoken to anyone close to the bjork situation, but my read is he's likely to play out his senior year and get a degree from notre dame - it seems highly important to him. if he does decide to go pro, i would imagine burning a year off his deal is a must from his camp's perspective (assuming that's an option based on how the irish finish). and boston would have no problem doing it. heck of a player, hope to see him sooner than later.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
So it's never happened across the league?

it's a relatively common strategy for players with leverage. last april, steve santini and miles wood did it with the devils and played the final game of the NHL season. just this week, john hayden did it with chicago and played in their most recent game.

bardown23

Live for hockey
Aug 10, 2012
For those who think Mcavoy and JFK are ready to step right in and play for the Bruins need to temper their expectations. You can see the raw talent from both of them but they are still a year away from the NHL in my viewing. A year in the AHL putting up numbers, learning the intricacies of the game , and the system will do wonders for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad