Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
He's the ace in the hole when Spooner is due for a big fat raise and if he wants too much Czarnik will be waiting in the wings

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Yikes.

Allow me to clarify.

What I should have said was something closer to: "Can we not evaluate prospects based solely on statistics such as goals and assists?"

Not saying we should ignore them completely, but they don't tell nearly the whole story. Patrice Bergeron has never been among the league leaders in goals, assists, or points. But I think most here would say he's one of the 10 best centers in the league. I just don't think you can draw meaningful conclusions about a kid like Jake DeBrusk's development by drawing an arbitrary line in the sand and saying "he should be scoring more".

Kids develop at different rates. You don't always get better at consistent rate. Sometimes you plateau and then you figure something out and you get better. Sometimes you get worse, and then you take a big jump.

Ryan Spooner's D+2 season was considered a pretty big disappointment. Same with Brad Marchand. Those guys turned out OK. Let's just wait and see with all of these guys.

While the stats don't always tell the whole story, more often than not they are an excellent indication of how a prospect is developing. I'm sure even bruins management would take little solace in saying Jake Debrusk is playing great without the puck if his offensive numbers were ridiculously low this year. The expectations are obviously high for him and others drafted in the first three or four rounds. For those of us who can't get out to see the prospects play, their statistical performance is obviously a major gauge for us to see their development. While there are some players who don't translate that offensive production to the NHL and there are other players who do many things that don't show up on the score sheet, for the most part players that are progressing in the way the team had hoped will show it on the score sheet.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
So, what are the stats saying to you, then? That guys like DeBrusk and Zboril and Heinen are worse players this year than they were last year because their stats aren't as good?

Mad Brills*

Outsider here, why is khoklachev mentioned as a trade candidate for your team? Thought he was doing well.

indy

Oct 18, 2015
Currently Spooner occupies the exact spot that Czarnik is fighting for. Unless Spooner is traded, i doubt Austin sees time on the big club.

But I've almost always been wrong.

Spooner not at the morning skate today. Injured? Or on the trade block?

Time will tell.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Outsider here, why is khoklachev mentioned as a trade candidate for your team? Thought he was doing well.

He's 22 years old, and has absolutely nothing left to prove in the AHL. Boston as mentioned is deep at center, and Koko hasn't achieved yet in his 1-3 game auditions. He also has not been able to transition to wing in such a way that Boston thinks he can handle that position.

He is an interesting gamble for another team. He might be an offensive minded 50+ point 2nd or 3rd line center at the NHL level. His contract is up at season end and is an RFA. I wouldn't give up much to Boston to get him, but he might be worth a 20-25 game NHL tryout for some non contending team down the stretch

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
That's the politically correct answer. The truth is he bombed in his auditions.

it sucks that Kemppainen can bomb his almost 40 game audition and still be on the team, but somehow Koko bombed his whopping 5 game audition this season, getting barely any minutes with some terrible linemates...and he doesn't get another sniff.

Ah well..I hope they just move on from Koko cause he deserves a real shot and he does have the skills to be a player in the NHL. His game also needs work..but..like it's been said, he has nothing left to prove in the AHL, lead P-bruins in scoring multiple seasons, routinely has carried a terrible offense. He needs some valuable NHL experience to see if he can take the next step, he needs to get stronger, more defensively aware..he needs to settle in to the pace of the NHL..and the way to do that is to actually get some playing time.

I hope he makes it whether it's with the bruins or another team, I've enjoyed watching him in Providence.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Koko's situation brings me back to this article by Hags last training camp
http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/agent-khoklachev-wont-bolt-khl-wants-stay-nhl

In that article Koko was quoted about not feeling he’d been given a “fair chance” in Boston. Went on to say his mind set was here trying to make the NHL, but what are you supposed to say when you are contractually obligated to be here. I wonder if his RFA status in July, combined with apparent KHL interest in his services, gives him more leverage than the Bruins are interested in dealing with at this time. Perhaps, behind the scenes, it's known he isn't in our long term plans? Maybe that's why his auditions have been cut short ...

Follow up links
- http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects/alexander-khokhlachev-sees-khl-rights-dealt/
- http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/...vs-khl-rights-traded-for-yuri-alexandrov-koko

Last edited:

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
as well as the B's appear to be doing in the mid-rounds, there is no reason why they shouldn't be doing the same in the first three rounds.

It's pretty notable when a franchise has three (and potentially 4) picks in the first two rounds two consecutive years (one year removed from 6 picks in the first two rounds).

I get what you are saying. It's reminiscent of the Panthers picks in 2010 and 2011 where they had 3 firsts, 3 seconds and a high 3rd (in 2010) and then followed up with 4 more picks in the top 64, 7 in the top 91 in the 2011 draft.

Two of those 14 high picks were also top 3 picks, in Huberdeau & Gudbranson, who were ushered in straight away at the conclusion of their junior years. We didn't have such high picks last year and won't again this year. For the record, now 5 and 6 years later, outside of the two top-3 picks mentioned above, only 2 of the other 12 high picks have made a significant impact in the NHL, Bjugstad (1st rd, 19th overall) and Trocheck (3rd rd, 64th overall). The jury is still out on Howden and Petrovic, but I would argue the 5th best NHLer from Florida's two bumper crops is Joonas Donskoi, (now with San Jose), who was taken in the 4th rd in 2010.

Further, Donskoi, (still relatively unproven), is an enigma in the Panthers system, as they have only produced 2 players outside of the first 3 rounds over the past 20 years who have played even 100 games in the NHL. That's not good scouting, in my opinion.

On the other hand, over the same 20 year time frame, the Bruins have identified 13 players in the 4th-7th rounds who have gone on to play 100 or more games in the NHL, half of those who went on to impressive careers of over 400 games. By contrast, in the same time frame, the Bruins have identified in the first 3 rounds, 18 players who have played in over 100 games and 12 of them who have built careers of over 400 games. It hasn't been a big droppoff for us from rounds 1-3 to rounds 4-7.

So I'm not arguing with you at all about the value of high picks. Clearly high picks are better to have than low picks and they are generally more fruitful. I'm just saying that we have done real well with - better than most - with our mid and late picks as well, which brings a bit more confidence with our 3rd-7th rounders than those from other teams.

So once they are in our system, I'm not to worried about where we took them in the draft. I am more interested in what they do after the draft, and how they develop, regardless of when we picked them and I'm not worried about comparisons to players we didn't pick. We have a great scouting staff.

Last edited:

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Anders Bjork with a two point game for Notre Dame last night in the key Hockey East showdown for the top of the division vs. Providence. He has been impressive.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
SWEET! I don't get to see him play at all but can't help but like his numbers this year.

Trust me, he is a joy to watch.

He does it all. May not be a superstar but he contributes in all 3 zones and has solid leadership traits. May not be the most talented play on the Eagles, but he works the hardest for sure. His game isn't flashy at all, you won't see him dipsy dooling all over the ice, it's kind of straight forward, under the radar, dirty work type game.

No doubt in my mind the kid is going to be AT LEAST a good bottom sixer for us, but that's not to mean he doesn't have a chance to developing into a top 6er. He's just a kid, I view as a high floor type player.

----------------------------

Also, Danton Heinen with another goal and an assist so far tonight.

After a slow start, this kid is blazing hot right now. Up to 14 goals, 17 assists in 30 games so far. But even more impressive is the 8 goals and 9 assists in his last 8 games.

Last edited:

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Some more updates from tonight:

Zboril with a goal and a +2 in a game his team gave up 6 goals.

Lauzon with a goal in his teams 3-1 win.

Senyshyn with an assist in his team's 4-1 win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad