Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Can we PLEASE stop looking at stats?

Who are you and what have you done with Gator Mike?

Daniel Vladar now 2nd in the USHL in both Goals Against Average (2.12) and Save Percentage (.925).
Jesse Gabrielle with #35 for Prince George tonight.
#33 tonight for Senyshyn.
Make it four for DeBrusk.
Shaping up to be another big night for Senyshyn. Two goals and an assist midway through the 3rd.
28 points in 30 games now.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Yet another reason why you don't sign 31 year old Loui to a long term deal. Left-handed shot that played C last year, but has been on the wing the majority of this year (he still takes some of the draws). Would not be surprised if he turns pro after this season. I thought he would definitely stay another year with his slow start, but he has really come on.

If the B's think that Senyshyn and DeBrusk are more than a year away, they may want Heinen to turn pro because you want to stagger these guys coming into the league.

It's going to be a mammoth task trying to integrate all of these talented players at the right time. It's a good problem to have though. If I was taking a shot in the dark I'd say Gabrielle and Carlo make it first, followed by Heinen and Senyshyn

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
probably right. I looked it up and Tommy scouts pro teams out west. Anyway, if Malkoc doesn't get a raise, he deserves a bonus.

Malkoc took the lead on Heinen where the Gabrielle intitative got it legs from Keith Gretzky, who fell in love with the kid while scouting the Broncos/Pats playoff series in person. Gabrielle's Pats swept the Broncos in 4. Gabrielle was such a pest in the series that Bronco coach Mark Lamb actually posted on the Broncos white board that any player caught talking to Gabrielle in Game 4 would be immediately benched. The Pats completed the sweep that game and Gabrielle got a lot of play on Provincial news casts by using his stick and sweeping the penalty box in the 3rd period, throwing the Broncos bench and the fans in Swift Current in a tizzy.

From that series they drafted both DeBrusk and Gabrielle and signed Colby Cave as well immediately following.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's going to be a mammoth task trying to integrate all of these talented players at the right time. It's a good problem to have though. If I was taking a shot in the dark I'd say Gabrielle and Carlo make it first, followed by Heinen and Senyshyn

I'm not sure it will be as big a problem as we think...eventually.

The B's have quite a few prospects already, and are looking at multiple 1sts (probably 3 if they move Loui) and 9 picks overall this year. In 2017, the B's will get EDM's 2nd, so they will again have three picks in the first two rounds.

There is only so much room for all of these prospects/picks and I would not be surprised to see some of them moved to address more immediate positional needs.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
The B's are looking at multiple 1sts (probably 3 if they move Loui) and 9 picks overall this year. In 2017, the B's will get EDM's 2nd, so they will again have three picks in the first two rounds.

I wouldn't get too hung up on what rounds guys are taken in. Tough to judge kids in their 17/18 year old seasons and we learn more about them in the years after their draft than we do in the year of their draft, where kids can rise and fall wildly and often multiple rounds in value.

There are only four first rounders in the current system, with Pasternak being the only one so far who is really living up to the billing. The other three being Phillips (sent to ECHL this week), Connolly and Subban. Our 2nd rounders have absolutely been carrying us (Bergeron, Krejki, Erickson, Spooner etc.) much more than the 1st rounders in our system.

In fact, some of our better players are 3rd (Marchand, Chara), 4th (Beleskey), 5th (C.Miller), 6th (Seidenberg, Randell) round picks and even undrafted players (Krug, Vatrano).

Getting a top 3 pick where you can draft a can't miss superstar like Seguin is always enticing, but I wouldn't give up much for higher draft picks (past the top 3) as long as our scouting staff keeps bringing back guys like Marchand, Chara, Heinen, Gabrielle, Vladar, Fitgerald etc. with our middling picks and continues to sign great free agents like Krug.

mmonty

Mar 9, 2013
The Pats completed the sweep that game and Gabrielle got a lot of play on Provincial news casts by using his stick and sweeping the penalty box in the 3rd period, throwing the Broncos bench and the fans in Swift Current in a tizzy.

That is hilarious. Hope he makes it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Malkoc took the lead on Heinen where the Gabrielle intitative got it legs from Keith Gretzky, who fell in love with the kid while scouting the Broncos/Pats playoff series in person. Gabrielle's Pats swept the Broncos in 4. Gabrielle was such a pest in the series that Bronco coach Mark Lamb actually posted on the Broncos white board that any player caught talking to Gabrielle in Game 4 would be immediately benched. The Pats completed the sweep that game and Gabrielle got a lot of play on Provincial news casts by using his stick and sweeping the penalty box in the 3rd period, throwing the Broncos bench and the fans in Swift Current in a tizzy.

From that series they drafted both DeBrusk and Gabrielle and signed Colby Cave as well immediately following.

oh that's gold :laugh:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just got a report from a buddy at the Yale-St. Lawrence game that O'Gara just scored on a one-timer from the right circle, top cheddar. On the PP.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I wouldn't get too hung up on what rounds guys are taken in. Tough to judge kids in their 17/18 year old seasons and we learn more about them in the years after their draft than we do in the year of their draft, where kids can rise and fall wildly and often multiple rounds in value.

There are only four first rounders in the current system, with Pasternak being the only one so far who is really living up to the billing. The other three being Phillips (sent to ECHL this week), Connolly and Subban. Our 2nd rounders have absolutely been carrying us (Bergeron, Krejki, Erickson, Spooner etc.) much more than the 1st rounders in our system.

In fact, some of our better players are 3rd (Marchand, Chara), 4th (Beleskey), 5th (C.Miller), 6th (Seidenberg, Randell) round picks and even undrafted players (Krug, Vatrano).

Getting a top 3 pick where you can draft a can't miss superstar like Seguin is always enticing, but I wouldn't give up much for higher draft picks (past the top 3) as long as our scouting staff keeps bringing back guys like Marchand, Chara, Heinen, Gabrielle, Vladar, Fitgerald etc. with our middling picks and continues to sign great free agents like Krug.

I'm not "hung up" on what round any of these guys were taken once they are drafted and in the system. However, as well as the B's appear to be doing in the mid-rounds, there is no reason why they shouldn't be doing the same in the first three rounds.

It's pretty notable when a franchise has three (and potentially 4) picks in the first two rounds two consecutive years (one year removed from 6 picks in the first two rounds).

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Who are you and what have you done with Gator Mike?
Yikes.

Allow me to clarify.

What I should have said was something closer to: "Can we not evaluate prospects based solely on statistics such as goals and assists?"

Not saying we should ignore them completely, but they don't tell nearly the whole story. Patrice Bergeron has never been among the league leaders in goals, assists, or points. But I think most here would say he's one of the 10 best centers in the league. I just don't think you can draw meaningful conclusions about a kid like Jake DeBrusk's development by drawing an arbitrary line in the sand and saying "he should be scoring more".

Kids develop at different rates. You don't always get better at consistent rate. Sometimes you plateau and then you figure something out and you get better. Sometimes you get worse, and then you take a big jump.

Ryan Spooner's D+2 season was considered a pretty big disappointment. Same with Brad Marchand. Those guys turned out OK. Let's just wait and see with all of these guys.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
JFK's 2nd assist tonight was pretty sweet and showed great awareness. Got to say one of the guys I thought was severely overhyped last draft when he was being tossed around as a potential mid to late first rounder was Jordan Greenway. He ended up going more in line with what I thought at the time but he is pretty impressive. I still don't know what he becomes but he is one of the larger power forward types who is actually figuring out how to use his size. I noticed he had a lot of secondary assists and was sort of dismissive of his decent production this year but he knows how to protect the puck and his work is getting teammates the puck in good places. If he can develop a little more skill/finish he could be a good one for sure

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Gabrielle witht he only goal in the game in the third period of his match-up against Debrusk

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Yikes.

Allow me to clarify.

What I should have said was something closer to: "Can we not evaluate prospects based solely on statistics such as goals and assists?"

Not saying we should ignore them completely, but they don't tell nearly the whole story. Patrice Bergeron has never been among the league leaders in goals, assists, or points. But I think most here would say he's one of the 10 best centers in the league. I just don't think you can draw meaningful conclusions about a kid like Jake DeBrusk's development by drawing an arbitrary line in the sand and saying "he should be scoring more".

Kids develop at different rates. You don't always get better at consistent rate. Sometimes you plateau and then you figure something out and you get better. Sometimes you get worse, and then you take a big jump.

Ryan Spooner's D+2 season was considered a pretty big disappointment. Same with Brad Marchand. Those guys turned out OK. Let's just wait and see with all of these guys.

100% agree. Though...it can be difficult to catch every game the prospects play via the internet, and sometimes mere tidbits of news about their progress and success are enough to erase the malaise of watching the big B's get erased by Nashville or LA. Sometimes the boxscore is our only fix.

AlexHM

Jul 7, 2009
Austin Czarnik Update

Hey Everyone,

Really interested in this kid's development and progression. Point wise, seems to me he's having a very good first year of pro.

What kind of minutes is he getting? 1st/2nd/3rd line?
How does management and fans see for his potential at the NHL level, will he be given a strong look at camp next season? Is he one of the first call ups if there's injuries?

Thanks in advance.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
WHL Update

Brandon Carlo with another solid performance tonight. I only flashed over to his game during stoppages and intermissions, but Carlo was Carlo from the bits I saw, which is to say, he's Mr. Reliable. Was even up in a 2-0 win for his team and even showed some nasty with a cross checking penalty.

Jesse Gabrielle vs Jake DeBrusk was a great game for a Bruins fan, as both guys played really strong games. Jake started on the lower line, but looking for a spark, Sutter did put him back with Helewka and Philp in the 2nd period and that line took off from there, scoring only one goal but created a lot of chances. Jake himself was at his best with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone. You could see his strong possession skills and high hockey IQ as he both created with the puck and found soft spots for quality scoring chances without. Jake looked especially dangerous on the power play.

Unfortunately for Jake and the Rebels, this night would belong to Gabrielle and his Cougars. Gabrielle's line was dangerous all night and supplied all 3 goals. Jesse sniped two of the goals, both the opener (now 2nd in WHL in game opening goals) and the insurance goal. He now sits alone in 2nd in the WHL goal scoring race with 37. The announcers had him at 7 shots on goal for the night and earned 2nd star honors in his teams 3-1 win. As good as Jake was on the PP, Gabrielle and the Cougars was even better on the PK, showing why they are one of the top PK teams in the league. Gabrielle himself leads the WHL in both PK goals and PK points.

In short, lots of battles won by both Bruin prospects throughout the night, but the war was decisively won by Gabrielle and the Cougars on this night. Rematch tomorrow

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Hey Everyone,

Really interested in this kid's development and progression. Point wise, seems to me he's having a very good first year of pro.

What kind of minutes is he getting? 1st/2nd/3rd line?
How does management and fans see for his potential at the NHL level, will he be given a strong look at camp next season? Is he one of the first call ups if there's injuries?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing against the guy but can the Bruins really take on another undersized player on this roster, they're as soft as baby poop as it is. I don't see it.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
WHL Update

Brandon Carlo with another solid performance tonight. I only flashed over to his game during stoppages and intermissions, but Carlo was Carlo from the bits I saw, which is to say, he's Mr. Reliable. Was even up in a 2-0 win for his team and even showed some nasty with a cross checking penalty.

Jesse Gabrielle vs Jake DeBrusk was a great game for a Bruins fan, as both guys played really strong games. Jake started on the lower line, but looking for a spark, Sutter did put him back with Helewka and Philp in the 2nd period and that line took off from there, scoring only one goal but created a lot of chances. Jake himself was at his best with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone. You could see his strong possession skills and high hockey IQ as he both created with the puck and found soft spots for quality scoring chances without. Jake looked especially dangerous on the power play.

Unfortunately for Jake and the Rebels, this night would belong to Gabrielle and his Cougars. Gabrielle's line was dangerous all night and supplied all 3 goals. Jesse sniped two of the goals, both the opener (now 2nd in WHL in game opening goals) and the insurance goal. He now sits alone in 2nd in the WHL goal scoring race with 37. The announcers had him at 7 shots on goal for the night and earned 2nd star honors in his teams 3-1 win. As good as Jake was on the PP, Gabrielle and the Cougars was even better on the PK, showing why they are one of the top PK teams in the league. Gabrielle himself leads the WHL in both PK goals and PK points.

In short, lots of battles won by both Bruin prospects throughout the night, but the war was decisively won by Gabrielle and the Cougars on this night. Rematch tomorrow

Thanks, Fonz.

The feeds were bad for me tonight...glad to get the update. From what I saw, I was really into DeBrusk's game against PG. He seems like a kid who has a serious competitive drive that is well tempered by a strong hockey IQ and feel for a team game. He shows promise to plug into our PP as well as Gabrielle would plug into out PK.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Nothing against the guy but can the Bruins really take on another undersized player on this roster, they're as soft as baby poop as it is. I don't see it.

Currently Spooner occupies the exact spot that Czarnik is fighting for. Unless Spooner is traded, i doubt Austin sees time on the big club.

But I've almost always been wrong.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Thanks, Fonz.

The feeds were bad for me tonight...glad to get the update. .
The feeds were especially bad tonight. One trick I found (if you are using WHL Live) is when the frame freezes up or slows down, switch announcers using the home/away function. For some reason this kicks it into gear again. That usually works. The odd time it doesn't I simply click through to another game and then from that game click back to the game I am watching. That can be a problem solver too. But yeah, the feeds were problematic all night tonight.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
The feeds were especially bad tonight. One trick I found (if you are using WHL Live) is when the frame freezes up or slows down, switch announcers using the home/away function. For some reason this kicks it into gear again. That usually works. The odd time it doesn't I simply click through to another game and then from that game click back to the game I am watching. That can be a problem solver too. But yeah, the feeds were problematic all night tonight.

Ahh. Good stuff.

This is a great weekend for Bruins' prospects, and I appreciate your analysis...so keep it coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad