Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
WHL Update

Brandon Carlo played a hell of a game for Tri-City on Tuesday night. Again, he's not messing up the score sheet, but that's not his job. He was charged with shutting down the opponents top line, and as he does on a nightly basis, he knocked that assignment out of the park. The challenge he faced Tuesday was the Oil Kings dominant line of Baddock/Bauer/Pollock, who are one of the league's elite lines, and the only line to speak of on a one-line Oil King team. Carlo played his gaps perfectly and was a menace all night with a strong stick and decided reach advantage. His play along the wall was superb and he kept a clean crease. Carlo's strong play has led his basement dwelling team on a 7-2 tear of late and he finished this night +1 again and even managed a couple shots on net. The kid is pure gold.

Jake DeBrusk continues to toil on a lower line (-2 with no points in 2 games this week) and the Memorial Cup hosting Rebels continue to struggle. Another loss last night drops them to 0-4 on their current losing streak, as the team seems to mirror the fortunes of DeBrusk. Since the return of overage forward Luke Philp, Jake has been pushed to the lower line, is -2 with 1 point in those 4 games and the Rebels are winless. When Jake played on the top line with Helewka the Rebels seemed unbeatable and Jake was lighting it up, but in the 11 games Jake didn't play on the Rebels 1st line, Jake is +1 with no goals and 2 assists in those 11 games. In last night's game Jake didn't have much chemistry with his linemates, appeared visibly frustrated at times and appeared to try and do to much, holding on to pucks and a couple times Nascar-ing through the offensive zone. Tough to say for sure what he's thinking, but he's a kid who is used to logging big minutes with older veteran players on a teams top line and does thrive in those spots. He doesn't seem to be a guy that's going to carry a line maybe, or at least, hasn't been able to do that so far in Red Deer. Having said that, he is still a +1 playing on that lower line after those 11 games playing for a defensive minded coach like Sutter.

Jesse Gabrielle was not in action this week. His team is set to host DeBrusk and the Rebels in a double header this weekend.

Added in - Just for perspective on Debrusk
- When Jake plays on the top line with Adam Helewka, the Rebels are 8-2-1 and Jake himself averages 2 ppg, with a line of 11GP, 8G, 14A, 22pts and +11

- When Jake plays on a lower line and he and Helewka are separated, the Rebels are 3-6-2 and Jake himself averages squat, with a line of 11GP, 0G, 2A, 2pts and +1

Bottom line - Jake and the Rebels excel when he and Helewka are together on the top line.

Last edited:

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
WHL Update

Brandon Carlo played a hell of a game for Tri-City on Tuesday night. Again, he's not messing up the score sheet, but that's not his job. He was charged with shutting down the opponents top line, and as he does on a nightly basis, he knocked that assignment out of the park. The challenge he faced Tuesday was the Oil Kings dominant line of Baddock/Bauer/Pollock, who are one of the league's elite lines, and the only line to speak of on a one-line Oil King team. Carlo played his gaps perfectly and was a menace all night with a strong stick and decided reach advantage. His play along the wall was superb and he kept a clean crease. Carlo's strong play has led his basement dwelling team on a 7-2 tear of late and he finished this night +1 again and even managed a couple shots on net. The kid is pure gold.

Jake DeBrusk continues to toil on a lower line (-2 with no points in 2 games this week) and the Memorial Cup hosting Rebels continue to struggle. Another loss last night drops them to 0-4 on their current losing streak, as the team seems to mirror the fortunes of DeBrusk. Since the return of overage forward Luke Philp, Jake has been pushed to the lower line, is -2 with 1 point in those 4 games and the Rebels are winless. When Jake played on the top line with Helewka the Rebels seemed unbeatable and Jake was lighting it up, but in the 11 games Jake didn't play on the Rebels 1st line, Jake is +1 with no goals and 2 assists in those 11 games. In last night's game Jake didn't have much chemistry with his linemates, appeared visibly frustrated at times and appeared to try and do to much, holding on to pucks and a couple times Nascar-ing through the offensive zone. Tough to say for sure what he's thinking, but he's a kid who is used to logging big minutes with older veteran players on a teams top line and does thrive in those spots. He doesn't seem to be a guy that's going to carry a line maybe, or at least, hasn't been able to do that so far in Red Deer. Having said that, he is still a +1 playing on that lower line after those 11 games playing for a defensive minded coach like Sutter.

Jesse Gabrielle was not in action this week. His team is set to host DeBrusk and the Rebels in a double header this weekend.

Added in - Just for perspective on Debrusk
- When Jake plays on the top line with Adam Helewka, the Rebels are 8-2-1 and Jake himself averages 2 ppg, with a line of 11GP, 8G, 14A, 22pts and +11

- When Jake plays on a lower line and he and Helewka are separated, the Rebels are 3-6-2 and Jake himself averages squat, with a line of 11GP, 0G, 2A, 2pts and +1

Bottom line - Jake and the Rebels excel when he and Helewka are together on the top line.

De Brusk pick worries me.He is on a team hosting Memorial Cup.He should be able go perform on any line.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
What does his team hosting the memorial cup have to do with him and his development?

He is on a loaded team.Them numbers are not good when not playing with one player.He was picked high.I expect alot I guess.Next week I am going yo see Gabrielle play live .And only 1.5 hr from Red Deer.Might take in a game there too soon.See for myself.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
He is on a loaded team.Them numbers are not good when not playing with one player.He was picked high.I expect alot I guess.Next week I am going yo see Gabrielle play live .And only 1.5 hr from Red Deer.Might take in a game there too soon.See for myself.

Right. A nineteen year old junior player that was taken high in the first round should be able to produce with any linemates.

indy

Oct 18, 2015
Right. A nineteen year old junior player that was taken high in the first round should be able to produce with any linemates.

I have caught a few games and Debrusk is often the best player on the ice. Feet never stop moving, high level, intense effort at all times and with other top players everyone produces. Remember the team is on a losing streak and having troubles scoring. Not just DeBrusk. Look for some line juggling for the next couple of games against Jesse and the boys.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
De Brusk pick worries me.He is on a team hosting Memorial Cup.He should be able go perform on any line.

The thing that concerns me is that he isn't on the top line. Normally draft +1 players who were taken in the first round are first line players in junior. Plenty of overagers don't play top line minutes. DEBRUSK should be on the top line. It's either on him or his coach. Not sure who yet

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
The thing that concerns me is that he isn't on the top line. Normally draft +1 players who were taken in the first round are first line players in junior. Plenty of overagers don't play top line minutes. DEBRUSK should be on the top line. It's either on him or his coach. Not sure who yet

How about, when the team going after additional players to help them make through the playoff grind picks Jake? Versatile and can play on any line.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
But he can't play on any line. He's horrible outside the top 6

Is he "horrible" outside the top 6?

Clearly he hasn't scored as a 3rd liner, but does that mean he is playing horribly? He may well be playing solid defense and contributing with the checking game,

The one thing we know is the team plays extremely well when Debrusk is in the top 6, and they play very pooly when he is dropped to a 3rd line role

He is a finisher. You put a finisher with a couple plugs and there is nothing to finish. He's not a creator. And he's not a Senyshyn who's elite speed makes him a one man rush

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Is he "horrible" outside the top 6?

Clearly he hasn't scored as a 3rd liner, but does that mean he is playing horribly? He may well be playing solid defense and contributing with the checking game,

The one thing we know is the team plays extremely well when Debrusk is in the top 6, and they play very pooly when he is dropped to a 3rd line role

He is a finisher. You put a finisher with a couple plugs and there is nothing to finish. He's not a creator. And he's not a Senyshyn who's elite speed makes him a one man rush

I wouldn't say he is playing with plugs. Red Deer loaded up for the Mem Cup this year, so they don't really have any plugs in their forward group. Maybe some would classify Evan Polei that way but he doesn't play much with Polei anyways. It's not a lack of talent on Jakes line. More like lack of chemistry and maybe a bit lesser opportunity than he was recieving on Helewka's line. In any event, as you stated, he definitely is contributing with a solid defensive game, no matter which line he is on.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Heinen is lighting it up lately, what a find

Yet another reason why you don't sign 31 year old Loui to a long term deal. Left-handed shot that played C last year, but has been on the wing the majority of this year (he still takes some of the draws). Would not be surprised if he turns pro after this season. I thought he would definitely stay another year with his slow start, but he has really come on.

If the B's think that Senyshyn and DeBrusk are more than a year away, they may want Heinen to turn pro because you want to stagger these guys coming into the league.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yet another reason why you don't sign 31 year old Loui to a long term deal. Left-handed shot that played C last year, but has been on the wing the majority of this year (he still takes some of the draws). Would not be surprised if he turns pro after this season. I thought he would definitely stay another year with his slow start, but he has really come on.

If the B's think that Senyshyn and DeBrusk are more than a year away, they may want Heinen to turn pro because you want to stagger these guys coming into the league.

I`m not one who generally likes to see any kid rushed but watching this current roster scare few with less than stellar quantity of speedy/skilled forwards, getting goosebumps having visions of Pasta, then ZS on another line backing in a D with their speed

Might have to wait a while but....

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Can we PLEASE stop looking at stats?

Because production means nothing and we all have time to attend all of our prospects games and provide first hand accounts. Some people are able to balance statistical performance with the understanding that it does not necessarily translate to success at the next level and that development has many layers. This is a prospect site and given the lack of first hand reports we get on any sort of steady basis its fun for some of us to track performances...and as mentioned, most of us are intelligent enough to do that without drawing a straight line conclusion to what those stats infer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad