NESN Bruins Pondering Joe Thornton’s Fit On Roster

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Yes your post does sound personal but I won’t lose sleep over it. If you believe he is a better option than Bergeron, well all I can say is we are done here, I am at a loss for words.
Wow. Your takeaway was pretty much the opposite of what he said. Read again perhaps.

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Did anyone think maybe it's no different than Bruins fans trying desperately to move Backes to where he is willing to go (SJ)?

Sweeney gets Wilson to agree to take on Backes in part of a bigger deal as a favour to Backes and Wilson asks him to return the favour by taking on Thornton as a part of the trade out of respect for Joe? Two GM's trying to do right by their retiring/leadership players?

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I don't get why so many people are against it
I mean if he was the only deadline pickup that's a fail but say we got Kreider or a 2nd line winger than I don't see the problem. I think it would be fantastic to see Jumbo Joe wear the spoked B for one last shot at the Cup. Maybe I'm just biased because Jumbo was my favorite player growing up after Samsonov...

I mean I get he's slow and not super productive but as depth? Sure gimme!

Reactions: Ladyfan

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Where though?

He shouldn't dislodge Coyle from 3rd line C.

Cassidy I don't think would use him as a 4th line C as he doesn't kill penalties. And he's not performing well on face-offs this year either.

He's played some LW this season, but the last thing the Bruins need is another middling left-shot winger.

So all I can see as a role for him is PP duty. Would he displace Debrusk on Unit 1 as the down-low left-shot forward? If not, he would go onto unit 2 likely on the right-side half-wall. But Krejci tends to be the QB of unit 2, would he work with another pass-first forward in Thornton on the PP? Not to mention that unit also contains the shot-adverse McAvoy. Geez someone has to shoot the puck.

I'm having trouble with the idea of Thornton as well, mostly because I don't see how a team with 3 mid-30's centers can win anything in a league driven by young legs.

That said, I trust the people reporting this rumor so I'm trying to see how it would work. Playing devil's advocate with you for a minute...

Thornton's 46 takeaways are good for 12th in the league, and he's the only one on that list who doesn't play 18, 19 minutes a game. He's got that many takeaways playing 15 minutes a night. That suggests he's working hard off the puck and creating a TON of turnovers with his size and smarts. Those sound like qualities that would fit on the 4th line. He doesn't hit, which is a big part of that 4th line's identity, but he will fight and defend teammates. He doesn't kill penalties either, but Bergeron-Marchand start every PK, and Kuraly-Wagner are the next pair out. Coyle and Kuhlman/Bjork could finish off the kills. They've both got time on the PK. If one of Kuraly or Wagner are out then Nordy and Lindholm come in.

I think you're right to wonder where he fits on the PP, especially if Timo Meier is part of the deal. Meier would be added to one of the units for sure, and the second unit likes to use two defensemen, so that only leaves 1 spot after Krejci and Meier. Thornton's not a net front guy. So it's hard to see how it fits with the current configuration.

I do think they could put together a good PP with Thornton and Krejci on opposite elbows, Meier in the bumper and Coyle in front. Maybe Gryz plays up top. That would be an interesting look, but high risk with only 1 D on the ice when the penalty expires.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'm having trouble with the idea of Thornton as well, mostly because I don't see how a team with 3 mid-30's centers can win anything in a league driven by young legs.

That said, I trust the people reporting this rumor so I'm trying to see how it would work. Playing devil's advocate with you for a minute...

Thornton's 46 takeaways are good for 12th in the league, and he's the only one on that list who doesn't play 18, 19 minutes a game. He's got that many takeaways playing 15 minutes a night. That suggests he's working hard off the puck and creating a TON of turnovers with his size and smarts. Those sound like qualities that would fit on the 4th line. He doesn't hit, which is a big part of that 4th line's identity, but he will fight and defend teammates. He doesn't kill penalties either, but Bergeron-Marchand start every PK, and Kuraly-Wagner are the next pair out. Coyle and Kuhlman/Bjork could finish off the kills. They've both got time on the PK. If one of Kuraly or Wagner are out then Nordy and Lindholm come in.

I think you're right to wonder where he fits on the PP, especially if Timo Meier is part of the deal. Meier would be added to one of the units for sure, and the second unit likes to use two defensemen, so that only leaves 1 spot after Krejci and Meier. Thornton's not a net front guy. So it's hard to see how it fits with the current configuration.

I do think they could put together a good PP with Thornton and Krejci on opposite elbows, Meier in the bumper and Coyle in front. Maybe Gryz plays up top. That would be an interesting look, but high risk with only 1 D on the ice when the penalty expires.
I don't know but it looks more and more like Joe would give them some real solid options for their lineup. . .

Kuraly seems to be playing better since getting moved to the wing. If Joe steps in to the 4th line center role he could ride with Kuraly and Wagner and would create a real strong lineup down the middle (he and Coyle adding the size and possession game that they've been hunting for years now). If Cassidy needs to shuffle lines Coyle could bounce to the wing (like he has) and Joe could step up into the third line center spot.

Reactions: kthx

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Do. Not. Want.

This guy no-showed way too many times. Get someone with some heart.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
As long as he plays 4 line minutes yeah why not. Should be a package deal from SJS.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
With some players injured and it not being about Kane, it HAS to be about Meier or Labanc. Meier would be to expensive to pay so the only possibility is Labanc. Maybe the Sharks don't want to pay him and believe last season was an anomility. Labanc could be a great buy low big win candidate. A second rounder plus a fine not great prospect should get it done
No it shouldn't. *If* LaBanc gets moved, it's for a late first at minimum or a good prospect, not a second and a mid level prospect. That's closer to Dillons value.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I think I'd flip Meier and Coyle, I'd want that right shot in the bumper for Thornton's passes ala Cheechoo.

The non-penalty killing thing for me isn't a big deal, I'm just not sure Cassidy would go for it dresssing a guy on his 4th line who doesn't do that. All that being said, is there any reason Thornton CAN'T kill penalties. Like you pointed out, he's got a lot of takeaways. And penalty killing isn't exactly rocket science, and it's not like he's never taken a PK shift over his 20+ year career. Maybe the fit isn't as bad as I first thought, provided Cassidy is willing to think outside the box a little bit.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Nice well done post. Thank s!

Reactions: PlayMakers

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Timo Meier $6 million for 3 plus years 37 points this season with a -17 rating. Maybe SJ thinks they can find better value in a player?
Meier and Thorton for Henien, Backes and a 1st or a Bruin prospect.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Like when he played on two snapped knee ligaments during the playoffs? Try that sometime. Takes a bit of heart.

He did nothing.

The guy who went 0-0-0 in seven games against the Habs and took a stupid penalty as Game 7 was winding down deserves nothing.

He can end his career as the loser that he is.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
No desire for Thornton. Never liked his attitude. Don't see him as a good fit on this team. Definitely interested in Meier though. 1st, Heinen, Backes, Cehlarik(?) for Meier? Sign me up.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
He did nothing.

The guy who went 0-0-0 in seven games against the Habs and took a stupid penalty as Game 7 was winding down deserves nothing.

Guy had torn rib cartilage. Raycroft just had an interview with him this year or last saying how the fans/city will never know how much pain Thornton was going through and how unjustified his treatment was.

And the bolded? Really? He's a professional athlete and we watch a silly sport. Who are you to call this guy a loser when by all accounts from teammates/coaches he is an amazing locker room presence?

Reactions: Ladyfan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He did nothing.

That was 16-17 years ago. You sound like a bitter ex girlfriend complaining about something from that long ago, ffs.

Also, his career playoff numbers in SJ are 144 games played and 115 points for a .80 PPG average, which directly flies in the face of your post. To help put this in perspective, since your narrative is patently false, David Krejci frequently gets praised here for elevating his game in the playoffs, and his career post season numbers are 132 games played, 103 points for a .78 PPG average.

So uh, yeah. Maybe you're simply blinded by something other than the truth here...:naughty:

Last edited:

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
That was 16-17 years ago. You sound like a bitter ex girlfriend complaining about something from that long ago, ffs.

Also, his career playoff numbers in SJ are 144 games played and 115 points for a .80 PPG average, which directly flies in the face of your post. To help put this in perspective, since your narrative is patently false, David Krejci frequently gets praised here for elevating his game in the playoffs, and his career post season numbers are 132 games played, 103 points for a .78 PPG average.

So uh, yeah. Maybe you're simply blinded by something other than the truth here...:naughty:

To help put this in even more perspective, Krejci’s regular season PPG is about .75 and Thornton’s is about .96 in San Jose

Reactions: Ladyfan and LSCII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad