NESN Bruins Pondering Joe Thornton’s Fit On Roster

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I first heard of this on Saturday and part of the deal would be San Jose taking Backes off the Bruins books.

There does seem to be some smoke here.

NHL Rumors: Bruins Pondering Joe Thornton’s Fit On Roster; Would Trade Make Sense?

If you like redemption stories and veteran players chasing one last chance at a championship, then boy, do we have an idea to sell you. The NHL trade deadline is less than two weeks away, and the Boston Bruins figure to be quite busy as they gear up for what they hope is another deep Stanley Cup playoff run.

General manager Don Sweeney should look to be fairly aggressive this year with the hopes of getting the Black and Gold over the hump after last year’s heartbreaking loss in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. Sweeney likely will turn over every stone in his quest to improve the roster, and that apparently includes taking a look at San Jose Sharks center and former Bruins captain Joe Thornton. The Athletic’s Joe McDonald reported Sunday that a top-six forward and defensive depth are on Sweeney’s to-do list, but Thornton might also be an option. “The team has also at least pondered how Thornton might fit on the current roster, according to multiple persons with knowledge of the club’s thinking,” McDonald wrote.

At least one person inside the Bruins’ dressing room wouldn’t mind seeing it happen. “He would have an impact on and off the ice,” an unnamed Bruins player told McDonald.

Bringing in Thornton, whom the Bruins drafted first overall in the 1997 draft, would be a fascinating move. The future Hall of Famer has pretty much done it all in his career except for hoisting the Cup. In fact, Thornton has reached the Stanley Cup Final just once in his 23-year (!) career, when the Sharks lost to Pittsburgh in 2017.

McDonald: Could the Bruins bring back Joe Thornton for one...

“It would be great for him to finish his career here,” Bucyk said. “He started it here, so to finish it would be nice, but I don’t know if that’ll happen. Who knows if he wants to come back now. He’s well situated where he is with his home, family and everything else. Yeah, I’d love to see him come back. He was a good kid and a very good friend.”

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
good lord, as much as I absolutely respect Jumbo Joe`s career, I would much rather have someone with speed and who isn`t as old as I am

If (and it's a big if) this means getting Backes off the books, wouldn't it be worth a shot? Maybe Thornton plays a few games here and there and he's coming in with the understanding that this is to give him a last kick at the can and he's not gonna be a top 6 every game player?

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Meanwhile, the one fit we need is a 2 RW.

giphy.gif

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If (and it's a big if) this means getting Backes off the books, wouldn't it be worth a shot? Maybe Thornton plays a few games here and there and he's coming in with the understanding that this is to give him a last kick at the can and he's not gonna be a top 6 every game player?

IF that is the key of the deal then sure, I just don`t make Thornton my first trade target

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
IF that is the key of the deal then sure, I just don`t make Thornton my first trade target

Or the last either. It's certainly intriguing and I hope it wouldn't be the "well let's sit back and see what happens now" move (which I doubt they would do)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah, they pondered it for about 2 minutes and realized there is no fit for Jumbo on the roster. It came up in another thread, but to recap, while Joe does have some game left, it isn't the game we need. We have setup men already including three centers who are better than he is at this point in Joe's career. He is as slow as the smoke off a fresh dog turd in winter so aas wing for Cassidy's system he's out (remember David Backes there? Of course you do and Joe is slower than that.) He isn't a shooter, isn't a banger. If Krejci or Coyle were down for the season, I could see how Joe might work as a fill-in center. But they aren't and so no need for the guy.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

While I am not crazy about the idea, let's at least look at the positives....

If the above is true, it would get rid of Backes....that's huge
UFA at end of season....so thats a good thing

Backes, 2d (to dump Backes) Cehlarik, Zboril....not too painful

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
No negative for this kind of move.

He's at the end of his career. The cost would probably be negligible. I could see Wilson giving him away for peanuts as a favor to probably the best Shark in franchise history. And he would come here to be depth. Seeing Jumbo raising the cup as a Bruin would be something special to this fan. He could bring a different look to the PP as well when it gets in those stagnant ruts. He probably would never see anything above the 3rd line. And when those inevitable injuries happen, I would rather him than most guys from Providence.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Regardless of whether Boston sees this as a fit or not, why would Joe waive his NTC to come back to an organization that basically pinned every team failure on him and then traded him 10 minutes after he signed a huge extension, before the ink was even dry? If he wants one last kick at the can, there are other options out there with teams that didn't do him dirty...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad