NESN Bruins Pondering Joe Thornton’s Fit On Roster

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
If Thornton agreed to come here he would not agree to veteran 13th forward or fourth line minutes
He is going to want to play third line or better an PP time

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To help put this in even more perspective, Krejci’s regular season PPG is about .75 and Thornton’s is about .96 in San Jose

Sure. And DK is slightly abouve his regular season PPG average in the playoffs, which is impressive. Most players see a dip, even if it's a slight one, since it's closer checking, more physical, and better competition.

Either way, the narrative that Thornton doesn't produce in the playoffs is false and has been for years. He hasn't won a cup, but that's because the teams he's played for haven't been good enough to win a cup since hockey is a team game. If he's a bottom 6 player on a cup contending team, you have a lot of great depth.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
@BrainOfJ was joking about Thornton being the 5th line center, but I actually think that's a solid idea. Let me explain.

They're probably in trouble if one of Bergeron, Krejci, or Coyle gets injured. The other center options are all 4th line centers, and I'd prefer not to have them be in the top 9 in the playoffs. Studnicka is an option, but I don't think the Bruins want to throw him to the wolves in the playoffs just yet. Here's where Thornton comes in. He's not your primary move, or even secondary. He's tertiary. You essentially bring him in as your 13th forward knowing that he's got enough skill to play top 9 center if you absolutely need him, and is a better replacement option than anyone else in-house. Play him enough in the regular season to keep his legs active, but he's mostly here for the playoffs as a 'in case of emergency break glass' option.

He shouldn't cost much of anything. I'd hope that Doug Wilson would do him a solid and send him to a team that has a realistic chance of winning it all, as a measure of good faith.

Reactions: bearcountry17

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Guy had torn rib cartilage. Raycroft just had an interview with him this year or last saying how the fans/city will never know how much pain Thornton was going through and how unjustified his treatment was.

And the bolded? Really? He's a professional athlete and we watch a silly sport. Who are you to call this guy a loser when by all accounts from teammates/coaches he is an amazing locker room presence?

So what? Did his sore ribs make him take the stupid penalty?

He's had a top team his entire career and always comes up short.

The best decision the Bruins made was getting rid of him and building around Bergeron. Let him rot in the California sun.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Guy had torn rib cartilage. Raycroft just had an interview with him this year or last saying how the fans/city will never know how much pain Thornton was going through and how unjustified his treatment was.

And the bolded? Really? He's a professional athlete and we watch a silly sport. Who are you to call this guy a loser when by all accounts from teammates/coaches he is an amazing locker room presence?
Thank you !

I don't get the hate for Joe. Nice kid and great player.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
So what? Did his sore ribs make him take the stupid penalty?

He's had a top team his entire career and always comes up short.

The best decision the Bruins made was getting rid of him and building around Bergeron. Let him rot in the California sun.

Here's your savior Bergeron taking an offensive zone penalty in gm 7 up by 1 with around 2 minutes to go. Canadiens tied the game on the ensuing PP to force OT.

Regardless if there was actually solid contact on Wisniewski or not, you have Bergeron aggressively going for a stick lift he was never going to get. Silly play to make when we all know the level of incompetence the NHL refs show.

Thankfully Horton saved Bergeron from a lot of tough criticism.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Here's your savior Bergeron taking an offensive zone penalty in gm 7 up by 1 with around 2 minutes to go. Canadiens tied the game on the ensuing PP to force OT.

Regardless if there was actually solid contact on Wisniewski or not, you have Bergeron aggressively going for a stick lift he was never going to get. Silly play to make when we all know the level of incompetence the NHL refs show.

Thankfully Horton saved Bergeron from a lot of tough criticism.

Great. And if Bergeron choked in the playoffs every year he would deserve the same treatment. For one guy it was a rare misplay, for another it was the culmination of years of choking.

Thornton's last series for the Bruins he had zero goals, zero assists and 14 penalty minutes.

He went to a stacked San Jose team for 20 years and won nothing. He's completely washed up. I wouldn't even give up a 5th for him to sit in the pressbox for an injury. I'd rather go to Studnicka in that scenario. The guy is a born loser.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Great. And if Bergeron choked in the playoffs every year he would deserve the same treatment. For one guy it was a rare misplay, for another it was the culmination of years of choking.

Thornton's last series for the Bruins he had zero goals, zero assists and 14 penalty minutes.

He went to a stacked San Jose team for 20 years and won nothing. He's completely washed up. I wouldn't even give up a 5th for him to sit in the pressbox for an injury. I'd rather go to Studnicka in that scenario. The guy is a born loser.

If the puck bounces 6 inches a different direction in that OT then Bergeron would be one of the biggest chokers of all time?

OK.

3XiKMch.gif

Reactions: Ladyfan

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
My memory of 03/04 is foggy and sometimes times distorts what I think I remember. In addition to the injuries that were mentioned, I believe this was also the winter that Joe fought Lindros and I thought he broke his facial/orbital bone?

I don’t see it happening but it does feel like an interesting script: returning to the place you were drafted at the end to win a cup.

I won’t bitch either way. I just don’t want to see Coyle move to the wing. All depends on the deal.

Reactions: BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I believe that proves Cassidy's definition of a top 9 player isn't all that impressive, and that Thornton would easily be better in that role than Par ****ing Lindholm? But that's just a guess...

If the Bruins are healthy Lindholm isn't in the top 9 for the playoff.

And neither should a 40 year-old Joe Thornton.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Joe Thornton on the fourth line and on the second power play unit might help.

could he help? Maybe and not trying to start an interwebz disagreement but does he or would he make the team that much better? Not for me and he doesn`t fill the true needs of the team

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
From Craig Custance in The Ahtletic Today:

23. Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks Thornton is only on this list because his name has popped up elsewhere as a desired target, not because the Sharks are actively looking to move him. They’re not. Knowing Thornton, he probably still believes the Sharks can get in the playoffs and as long as that’s the case, he’s not going anywhere. He loves San Jose. If anything happens, it’ll happen closer to the deadline. “Any speculation is just speculation,” said one NHL source.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->