NESN Bruins Pondering Joe Thornton’s Fit On Roster

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yep it was a travesty. Joe's whole "knock" was his laid back personality his draft year, yet the Bruins took him then held it against him, even though it didn't mean squat. Bruins stink, of course, Joe doesn't give a **** that's why.

Ray Bourque was on very good teams when he first started. When it became "his team" they promptly got knocked out of 4 straight first rounds. Had that great run of two cups and two ECF in four years, then won 3 rounds in his next seven seasons, never getting past round 2.

he won 15 play-off rounds in 19 years on the Bruins. Thornton won 14 play-off rounds in 12 years on the Sharks.

Ray Bourque is considered by most to be at least one of the top 15 players ever. He carried the Bruins for most of his career. Great leader.

There really is no comparison to Joe Thornton.

But it does make the point that you cannot judge a player by championships in team sports.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Joe's teams lost two series they were favored in, or about a dozen less than Ray Bourque, another captain who never brought a title to Beantown.

Bourque had to go to a team loaded with HOF talent to win a cup. Iginla never won one.

Bergeron won one with Thomas putting in an all time playoff performance. If Raycroft pulled a Quick in 2004 who knows how far that team would've went.

Such a tired argument about JT and cups.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Wrong. Thorton was a -6 last year, i don't know where you got 11 from. Either way, +/- is more of a team stat. In Boston he would be playing behind a stingier defensive group and better goaltending. And no one here is saying move a 2nd round pick+ or a young roster player+ for him like we did for Mojo and Coyle.

My point was that Johansson(3o in 72) and Coyle(15 in 44) were not known to be great playoff performers when we got them but the Bruins put them in a role to succeed and they definitely helped us get to game 7 of the final. Thornton(12 in his last 23) would be a nice upgrade if all he costs is a low pick. He adds size and grit which there is a serious lack of in the forward group.
Thornton is the farthest thing from an upgrade on anyone on this roster today, that would include Backes. Thornton is done, cooked, people can love him all they want, I have no worries that he will end up back in Boston, none.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
To BOS: Timo Meier, Joe Thornton, and Brendan Dillon
To SJS: Danton Heinen, Urho Vaakanainen, David Backes, 2020 1st Round Pick, 2021 2nd Round Pick

To BOS: Tyler Toffoli
To LAK: John Moore, 2020 2nd Round Pick

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
Meier -- Krejci -- Toffoli
DeBrusk -- Coyle -- Bjork
Kuraly -- Thornton -- Wagner
Lindholm/Nordstrom

Chara -- McAvoy
Krug -- Carlo
Grzelcyk -- Dillon
Lauzon

Rask
Halak

#Duckboats

:sarcasm:
You know, I could actually get on board with this the more I've processed it.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Thornton is the farthest thing from an upgrade on anyone on this roster today, that would include Backes. Thornton is done, cooked, people can love him all they want, I have no worries that he will end up back in Boston, none.

Thornton has more assists than anyone on our 4th line has points. He still has something to give, even if it's in a diminshed capacity.

Reactions: TCB and Ladyfan

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Thornton has more assists than anyone on our 4th line has points. He still has something to give, even if it's in a diminshed capacity.

Diminished is an understatement, he is not cut out for fourth line duties and I wouldn’t move any fourth line on the Bruins for him straight up, as I said before, he is cooked, done, has nothing left to offer.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Diminished is an understatement, he is not cut out for fourth line duties and I wouldn’t move any fourth line on the Bruins for him straight up, as I said before, he is cooked, done, has nothing left to offer.
His 5/5 points/60 is better than half their forward lineup and right in line with Krejci this year.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Dont see how Lindholm is any better than him besides speed wise. Hes the one guy I'd take Thornton over.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
I'll be f***ed if they acquire Thornton to play him at center over Coyle. I see no point in adding him to this team. Maybe he helps you a little on the second PP unit but that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad