NESN Bruins Pondering Joe Thornton’s Fit On Roster

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
From Craig Custance in The Ahtletic Today:

23. Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks Thornton is only on this list because his name has popped up elsewhere as a desired target, not because the Sharks are actively looking to move him. They’re not. Knowing Thornton, he probably still believes the Sharks can get in the playoffs and as long as that’s the case, he’s not going anywhere. He loves San Jose. If anything happens, it’ll happen closer to the deadline. “Any speculation is just speculation,” said one NHL source.
Thanks for this info.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If the puck bounces 6 inches a different direction in that OT then Bergeron would be one of the biggest chokers of all time?

OK.

3XiKMch.gif

No, if Bergeron no-showed in the playoffs every year and never won anything then he would be one of the biggest chokers of all time, just like the Tin Man.

Reactions: weinsink

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
If (and it's a big if) this means getting Backes off the books, wouldn't it be worth a shot? Maybe Thornton plays a few games here and there and he's coming in with the understanding that this is to give him a last kick at the can and he's not gonna be a top 6 every game player?
No! Oh no no no no no.

If he does heaven forbid find himself returning to Boston for another season, it must be written in his contract that he gets rid of the bird's nest on his face.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Would love to see Jumbo get the reverse Bourque treatment. Instead of traded away for a cup, he's traded back in for one.

4th line and 2nd pp time, at a low cost...I'm in. I wouldn't be willing to move Coyle to the wing for Jumbo though.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Meanwhile, the one fit we need is a 2 RW.

giphy.gif

In fairness, they got Rick Nash in 2018, Johansson last year, and BC Bruin (a long time poster here with inside information) said something to the effect of "you'll get your RW" this year. So they may not have solved the RW spot long term, but it does not mean they aren't aware of it.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
First page and Dom say other wise.

That article was pure speculation, nothing solid in there, and IIRC Dom just said Boston was talking to San Jose and Thornton was not the object of discussion- what was the phrase he used? I don't feel like looking for it at the moment, but it was something like anything involving Thornton would be a part of larger deal. Again, I don't think anything solid was there. Then Custance reports that Thornton is not being shopped by SJ and here we are.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
That article was pure speculation, nothing solid in there, and IIRC Dom just said Boston was talking to San Jose and Thornton was not the object of discussion- what was the phrase he used? I don't feel like looking for it at the moment, but it was something like anything involving Thornton would be a part of larger deal. Again, I don't think anything solid was there. Then Custance reports that Thornton is not being shopped by SJ and here we are.

Thornton would be the throw in on a potential bigger deal. He may not be shopped around by the Sharks but the Bruins have asked or it was brought up during negotiations.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Thornton would be the throw in on a potential bigger deal. He may not be shopped around by the Sharks but the Bruins have asked or it was brought up during negotiations.

If you say so- I don't believe much of it. It just makes a nice story for a journalist to write. No one said the Bruins asked about him directly, or that the Sharks offered him, that's all. The fact that it has spawned 14 pages of posts is pretty remarkable for such a thin rumour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad