Proposal: Bruins Offseason Free Agency/Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
For me, it's Yandle.

Skills on D is the biggest need on the team and he's the best at that on the free market.

Who has good hands and can create on D right now? Only Krug. Morrow and C.Miller to an extend but the were barely in the lineup this year. All stone hands stay physical stay at home. These are good to have. But never two per pairing. You need to balance with Skills. Skating. Passing. Not always high glass or into the skates.

He would be good transition until the new wave of young D get there.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Am I living under a rock? Is there actually an expansion team 100% happening??

No, but why would the owners turn down free money? Vegas already has a brand new modern facility and has plan to start building out a practice facility, too. No way it isn't happening. Only question is whether its one or two teams...and if its two, what the divisions/conferences look like. The money factor plus the fact that they have already given out the TLDR; version of the expansion rules makes it pretty obvious, doesn't it?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Maybe this offseason we won't trade a 3rd round pick for one of the worst players in hockey. Did that really happen?

that worst player in hockey played more games than 75% of third round picks will. we have to try to remember the real value of picks before we let ourselves get so upset.

remember if we KNEW marchand was going to be good we would have chosen him earlier. you can always get a second round pick if you KNOW a kid will be good. but the draft is a crap shoot and most 3rd rounders will NEVER be as good as rinaldo. thats why most gms are willing to trade a 3rd rounder for someone like rinaldo if their team needs a guy like that.

same with stemniak and liles. these are very normal hockey deals that happen all the time.

we will see other teams giving us 3rd rounders over the next couple years and its unlikely those 3rd rounders will help much. i mean look at what toronto got for antropov and kulimen and grabovski and their dozen other guys they traded for prospects and picks the past 5-7 years. there picks and prospects you get usually never perform as well as the real nhl player

so contending teams give up the picks... rebuilding teams collect the picks... and usually it doesnt make much difference for either side.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Jimmy Vesey :popcorn:

That would be a great cheap option to fill the void left by Loui in the top-9 and leaving plenty of money to go after help on D.

Yandle and Vesey would be a great offseason. Then fill the XXX accordingly and Clode will get this team back in contention in one summer.

Marchand-Bergy-XXX
Vesey-Krejci-Pasta
Beleskey-Spooner-XXX
Vatrano-Acciari-Connolly
Ferraro

Chara-Yandle
Krug-XXX
C.Miller-McQuaid
Morrow

Rask-Subban

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
$23 million does not seem like alot of money. Especially when you consider 4-5 of that will go towards Krug. Gonna be tough to go out and get some big free agent.

Well, a lot of those contracts are Colin Miller, Landon Ferraro, Brett Connolly bottom of the roster RFAs.

I think this gives a more accurate picture:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/90119

12 forwards, 6 D, 2 goales, 14+ million to play with.

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
that worst player in hockey played more games than 75% of third round picks will. we have to try to remember the real value of picks before we let ourselves get so upset.

remember if we KNEW marchand was going to be good we would have chosen him earlier. you can always get a second round pick if you KNOW a kid will be good. but the draft is a crap shoot and most 3rd rounders will NEVER be as good as rinaldo. thats why most gms are willing to trade a 3rd rounder for someone like rinaldo if their team needs a guy like that.

A lot of people like to mention the low success rates of draft choices whenever the discussion regards there being traded away.

However the very reason that the success rate is so low is what makes them so valuable. Every extra pick you have in a given round doubles your chances of finding an NHLer.

They are an incredibly important asset in the NHL, particularly now.

Any success in the draft that leads to an entry level contract on your roster is gold. Gold in the player himself and gold in the cheap contract he provides, it's how you get to be a player with the big boys when it comes to re-upping your own players or hammering the free agent market.

The current Bruin situation is a direct result of poor drafting. Woe to the team that trades draft picks frivolously.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (14)
Rightwing: K. Okposo ($6,750,000) - D. Pastrnak ($925,000) - D. Heinen ($872,500) - L. Ferraro ($800,000) - B. Ferlin ($875,000)
Centre: P. Bergeron ($6,875,000) - D. Krejci ($7,250,000) - R. Spooner ($950,000) - N. Acciari ($792,500)
Leftwing: B. Marchand ($4,500,000) - M. Beleskey ($3,800,000) - F. Vatrano ($792,500) - J. Vesey ($950,000) - E. Poirier ($863,333)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: J. Demers ($5,750,000) - A. McQuaid ($2,750,000) - C. Miller ($950,000)
Left: Z. Chara ($6,916,667) - T. Krug ($4,750,000) - D. Seidenberg ($4,000,000) - J. Morrow ($950,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
C. Ward ($4,000,000) - M. Subban ($863,333)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $71,400,000
Cap Hit: $67,925,833
Cap Space: $3,474,167

Basically only trades are jimmy Hayes and a 6th for a 4th
Rights to Brett connolly and a 2nd in 2018 for a 2nd in 2017
Rask and a 2nd in 2017 for poirier, sieloff and top 5 pick 2016 (chychrun)

What should they do as far as acquisitions?
Okposo, demers, maybe goligoski or russell, keep krug. Something like that.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
A lot of people like to mention the low success rates of draft choices whenever the discussion regards there being traded away.

However the very reason that the success rate is so low is what makes them so valuable. Every extra pick you have in a given round doubles your chances of finding an NHLer.

They are an incredibly important asset in the NHL, particularly now.

Any success in the draft that leads to an entry level contract on your roster is gold. Gold in the player himself and gold in the cheap contract he provides, it's how you get to be a player with the big boys when it comes to re-upping your own players or hammering the free agent market.

The current Bruin situation is a direct result of poor drafting. Woe to the team that trades draft picks frivolously.

You will never improve your team at the deadline if you don't want to trade draft picks or prospects.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Now knowing Julien is back I'd explore trading Spooner for a young established defenseman. Pick up a decent two way 3rd line center from UFA and hope the Vesey rumors are true

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Forwards

Marsh - Bergy - Top6W
Top6W - Krejci - Pastrnak
Beleskey - Spooner - Vatrano
4th LW - Acciari - Ferraro
Spares: Connolly, Hayes

Top 6 Wing Options...
Internal Options: Heinen, Griffith, Koko, Ferlin, Cehlarik
Notable UFA's: Stamkos, Eriksson, Lucic, Okposo, Backes, Boedker, Stempniak, Nielsen, Vesey
Trade Options?

Wild Card: Sign a center and move Spooner to LW? Sign Stamkos and trade Krejci for defense?

Defensemen

Chara - #1PMD
Krug - #4DefD
Seid's - C.Miller // Morrow - McQuaid

Defensive Options
Notable PMD UFA's: Yandle, Goligoski, Demers, Russell, Liles
Notable DefD UFA's: Kevan Miller, ???
Internal Options: O'Gara, Carlo, Chudinov?
Trade Options? Shattenkirk?

Wild Card: Buyout Seidenberg? Trade McQuaid?

Goaltenders
Rask
Backup

Internal Options: Jeremy Subban, Jeremy Smith
Notable UFA's: James Reimer, Cam Ward, Chad Johnson, Jhonas Enroth
Trade Options?

Wild Card: Trade Rask, sign a replacement?

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Now knowing Julien is back I'd explore trading Spooner for a young established defenseman. Pick up a decent two way 3rd line center from UFA and hope the Vesey rumors are true

might not have the option to "explore" moving Spoons for that D-man, could very well be the starting point to a conversation with another team

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I'd just trade Seidenberg + Koko for Wideman.

Wideman is more expensive but is a pending UFA. He would have to waive his NMC clause. Could be the temporary #4 on the team.

This seemed like a real possibility a few months ago. Still does.

Calgary is a budget team. Wideman is owed $6 Million in the final year of his contract. They have over $30 Million committed to defenseman next year. Seidenberg is owed $4M and $3M over his last two. They also have Smid and Engellend coming off the books after next year. I guess Calgary also has the option to buy Wideman out to free up cash, but Seidenberg is still a serviceable player. Capable 4-6 D. Maybe they see him as a steady veteran partner for Hamilton. Not that familiar with their situation on the back end though.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Forwards

Marsh - Bergy - Top6W

Top 6 Wing Options...
Internal Options: Heinen, Griffith, Cehlarik
Notable UFA's: Stamkos, Eriksson, Lucic, Okposo, Backes, Boedker, Stempniak, Nielsen, Vesey
Trade Options?

Wild Card: Sign a center and move Spooner to LW? Sign Stamkos and trade Krejci for defense?

Defensemen

Chara - #1PMD
Krug - #4DefD

Defensive Options
Internal Options: O'Gara, Carlo

Goaltenders
Rask
Backup

Trade Options?

I have as much a chance as Seth Griffith- not Claude's type and he was a Peter Chiarelli guy not Sweeney from what I gather. I like him but to me the guy you need to put in there that both Sweeney and Claude imo likes is Ferlin,

Ferlin needs to have a good playoffs if he does he could throw himself right in the mix

I'd love to see Ferlin grab that third line spot opposite Beleskey

Ryan had a good day today because Sweeney likes him but he's got to be better 200 foot player- he came along and has skills, if he can improve next year defensively that would help Boston significantly. I'd like him with those two wingers good wall guys

Vesey would be a huge hit to get

I know Vatrano is really a top 9 but he can move around, here is my forwards

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak (perfect spot for him to learn)

Vesey?-Krejci-UFA

Beleskey-Spooner-Ferlin/Connolly

Vatrano-Acciari-Ferraro/Randell

oh, and I bring Kelly back on a one year $1.5 M deal as 13th forward and assistant coach in waiting

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I have as much a chance as Seth Griffith- not Claude's type and he was a Peter Chiarelli guy not Sweeney from what I gather. I like him but to me the guy you need to put in there that both Sweeney and Claude imo likes is Ferlin,

Ferlin needs to have a good playoffs if he does he could throw himself right in the mix

I'd love to see Ferlin grab that third line spot opposite Beleskey

Ryan had a good day today because Sweeney likes him but he's got to be better 200 foot player- he came along and has skills, if he can improve next year defensively that would help Boston significantly. I'd like him with those two wingers good wall guys

Vesey would be a huge hit to get

I know Vatrano is really a top 9 but he can move around, here is my forwards

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak (perfect spot for him to learn)

Vesey?-Krejci-UFA

Beleskey-Spooner-Ferlin/Connolly

Vatrano-Acciari-Ferraro/Randell

oh, and I bring Kelly back on a one year $1.5 M deal as 13th forward and assistant coach in waiting

Added Ferlin. Though I don't think I'd like to see him in a top9 role.

You know I've always been one of Spooner's biggest fans but I do think he was one of this team's weak links 5on5. 40% at the dot, -9. He will certainly be better next year at both FO's and two-way play but it was interesting to see them use him on the wing where his speed to the outside is such an asset. I wonder if him playing wing is a real option going forward or if it was just a way to keep his skill and speed in the lineup while trying to minimize how his weaknesses impact the team.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Forwards

Marsh - Bergy - Top6W

Top 6 Wing Options...
Internal Options: Heinen, Griffith, Ferlin, Cehlarik
Trade Options?

Defensemen

Chara - #1PMD
Krug - #4DefD

Defensive Options
Internal Options: O'Gara, Carlo

Goaltenders
Rask
Backup

Trade Options?

Would you consider McQuaid a good **enough** #4 Defensive D? Seidenberg needs to go.

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
What about Kyle Okposo?

If he doesn't re sign with the Islanders, do the Bruins have enough cap space to sign him? He could definitely replace the goals if Loui walks playing with Krejci or Bergeron and is a big body on the RW

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Would you consider McQuaid a good **enough** #4 Defensive D? Seidenberg needs to go.

I would not, no. I think when they gave McQuaid that contract they hoped he could take the next step like Krug has but IMO McQuaid has struggled anytime he's been asked to play above 3rd pair competition. I think Kevan Miller is better and would trust him more in that role.

Seidenberg really struggled this year but I wouldn't hate him in a reduced 3rd pair role and think if he played against that level of competition he'd be more effective. Plus, he can play the left or the right so he can pair with both Chiler and Morrow.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

I would not, no. I think when they gave McQuaid that contract they hoped he could take the next step like Krug has but IMO McQuaid has struggled anytime he's been asked to play above 3rd pair competition. I think Kevan Miller is better and would trust him more in that role.

Seidenberg really struggled this year but I wouldn't hate him in a reduced 3rd pair role and think if he played against that level of competition he'd be more effective. Plus, he can play the left or the right so he can pair with both Chiler and Morrow.

They need money to be exposed in the expansion draft, so I don't think Seidenberg/Hayes are going anywhere:

7F: Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Pastrnak, Beleskey, Spooner, #7 (Okposo - 6750??) >> 31050

3D: Chara, Krug (5000), Yandle (6000) >> 17917

1G: Rask >> 7000

Salaries: 55967

25% rule: 13992

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad