Proposal: Bruins Offseason Free Agency/Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Is it too early for this? I feel like its needed so we can all drool over certain players still playing that may be available.

Also players that will or wont be re-signed, players being traded (JIMMY HAYES!) and such.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Did people get the sense from Don's presser that he is open to buyouts?

I think you have to move Seidenberg off the roster and 1 of McQuaid/Miller

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
One thing to keep in mind when putting together a roster for next season is the yet to be finalized expansion draft that will happen.

Current assumption to you can protect 7 forwards, 3D and one goalie and that NMC clauses have to be respected. Anyone with 2 or fewer professional years at the conclusion of next season is exempt. Professional includes AHL. So guys like Griffith and Subban, etc would have to be protected or exposed, but guys like Grzelcyk, even though they are from the same draft class, would not be.

So before you start throwing out D lineups for next year featuring Chara, Yandle, Shatty, and Krug, or whatever realize that you can only protect 3, and Chara has to be one of them.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Did people get the sense from Don's presser that he is open to buyouts?

I think you have to move Seidenberg off the roster and 1 of McQuaid/Miller

Problem with buying out Seidenberg is his cap will hang around for 4 years instead of 2 more. He needs to be traded for a pick or something, but salary will have to be retained, I'd try to trade him for anything and only retain 1M but thats a lot easier said than done. Buying him out just hurts the cap too much.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
One thing to keep in mind when putting together a roster for next season is the yet to be finalized expansion draft that will happen.

Current assumption to you can protect 7 forwards, 3D and one goalie and that NMC clauses have to be respected. Anyone with 2 or fewer professional years at the conclusion of next season is exempt. Professional includes AHL. So guys like Griffith and Subban, etc would have to be protected or exposed, but guys like Grzelcyk, even though they are from the same draft class, would not be.

So before you start throwing out D lineups for next year featuring Chara, Yandle, Shatty, and Krug, or whatever realize that you can only protect 3, and Chara has to be one of them.

Am I living under a rock? Is there actually an expansion team 100% happening??

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Problem with buying out Seidenberg is his cap will hang around for 4 years instead of 2 more. He needs to be traded for a pick or something, but salary will have to be retained, I'd try to trade him for anything and only retain 1M but thats a lot easier said than done. Buying him out just hurts the cap too much.

It's about 1.3 mil per for 4 years to buy him out.

Trading him would be better but if it can't be done buying him out sure beats keeping him around.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I just want to say that I'll ....ng hate it if we have to protect Chara at that point with so close to retiring(not saying he needs to be left available), and I'd hate to see that as an excuse to not build contender ready defense when you have Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Rask in their primes.
To just wait years to who left available when Bergeron turns 31y.

That also just supports my be aggressive at the draft thinking, land one of the top3D's that you don't have to protect and land one top 2/3 D-player via trade or Ufa market.

Last edited:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
It's about 1.3 mil per for 4 years to buy him out.

Trading him would be better but if it can't be done buying him out sure beats keeping him around.

I thought it was more complicated than that, 1.3 for the first 2 then 2.something for the last 2.
https://t.co/oKETulv0JZ

Because Seidenberg has a lot more money left on his deal, buying out the veteran defenseman would have pretty major repercussions on Boston’s future cap figures. The Bruins would face the following cap charges: $1.166 million next season, $2.166 million in 2017-18 and $1.166 million the following two seasons. If worse came to worst, the Bruins would be better served to just bite the $4 million bullet for two more seasons.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
I thought it was more complicated than that, 1.3 for the first 2 then 2.something for the last 2.
https://t.co/oKETulv0JZ

Because Seidenberg has a lot more money left on his deal, buying out the veteran defenseman would have pretty major repercussions on Boston’s future cap figures. The Bruins would face the following cap charges: $1.166 million next season, $2.166 million in 2017-18 and $1.166 million the following two seasons. If worse came to worst, the Bruins would be better served to just bite the $4 million bullet for two more seasons.

According to General Fanager his cap hit would be 1.16 each season for next four seasons. So last two years his cap hit is 1.16m even though he's not on the team.

http://www.generalfanager.com/buyouts/253?day=15&year=2016

Last edited:

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
$23 million does not seem like alot of money. Especially when you consider 4-5 of that will go towards Krug. Gonna be tough to go out and get some big free agent.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
For those of us who only watch Bruins games (and playoff games of other teams the last two years :shakehead) . How good is Jimmy Vesey ? Is he going to be a star in this league and would him signing here immediately turn around this team's fortunes ?

Not a franchise guy but a solid top six- think pasta level impact/repsonibilities in the first couple years.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd just trade Seidenberg + Koko for Wideman.

Wideman is more expensive but is a pending UFA. He would have to waive his NMC clause. Could be the temporary #4 on the team.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Is it too early for this? I feel like its needed so we can all drool over certain players still playing that may be available.

Also players that will or wont be re-signed, players being traded (JIMMY HAYES!) and such.

i go to the draft looking at trades first... if the trades work we will be in rebuild mold. if we are in rebuild mold then it will effect our ufa buying.

i think keith yandle is a target if his ticket price isnt north of 6 mill per season. other than him i think its too premature to talk other targets until we access the trade market (edit as dom points out... vesey is a no brainer for us to target too)

CDonns

Nov 28, 2015
MA
If there is to be an expansion draft next when does the NHL make it final. It should be prior to the entry draft so it gives teams time to make plans that would be affected by the expansion draft.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Maybe this offseason we won't trade a 3rd round pick for one of the worst players in hockey. Did that really happen?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Maybe this offseason we won't trade a 3rd round pick for one of the worst players in hockey. Did that really happen?

I very much hope they refrain from bringing in worthless vets like they did with Talbot and Rinaldo. The Bs have enough young guys that can play on the fourth line. Really sucks that so many minutes were taken away from players that might actually have a future with the team and needed to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad