Proposal: Bruins Offseason Free Agency/Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

A question I've been asking myself? How drastic do the roster additions/subtractions need to be to take a jump next season?

Another: Would the Bs have sufficient cap space to make those moves?

I think without something drastic, we're going to get a bunch of the same old song and dance from the same old players and coach. Sure there may be some new faces around them, but same old. The team that won the cup is 5 years ago is a distant memory in the modern NHL. We don't have anyone that looks ready to make the jump just yet. Nor a solid team around them to ease them in properly.

We keep a coach that legitimately sat young defensemen game in and game out to play Adam McQuaid or Kevan Miller in our top 4.

We have a handful of guys that need to play up to their contract as well.

I don't know if adding while subtracting futures is going to improve us enough to be bothered. We're losing Eriksson, who played his best season as a Bruin last year, as well as Marchand having a career season is an upcoming UFA. Our 7 million dollar center, who isn't even our best center is going into surgery; our top goalie was outplayed by the guy they traded away, and our once Norris winning captain is going to be 40.

Drastic? I don't know, but something big needs to happen for me to believe anything our management has to say. I've seen nothing but confusing steps along the way so far. Trade Lucic for futures? Trade Dougie for futures (yes, I know there's a storyline around it)? Sounds like a rebuild. Trade picks for Lee Stempniak and JM Liles? Keep pending UFA Eriksson without signing him? What? We're going on a run?

Lose 9 of the last 12 games in mostly must-win scenarios? I don't know. I hope Sweeney's keeping his cards close to his chest. But I surely hope he has a plan, and one that he's going to stick to. These wavering moves are confusing, and overall aren't really giving us good footing in either direction.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I think without something drastic, we're going to get a bunch of the same old song and dance from the same old players and coach. Sure there may be some new faces around them, but same old. The team that won the cup is 5 years ago. We don't have anyone that looks ready to make the jump just yet. Nor a solid team around them to ease them in properly.

We keep a coach that legitimately sat young defensemen game in and game out to play Adam McQuaid or Kevan Miller in our top 4.

Two things I think we are in dire need of?

Size up front
This team relies very heavily on winning battles along the boards. All too often this season, we saw our small forward group get out-muscled on the dump and chase and even in transition out of the defensive zone. We're sticking with Julien, so that heavy game is going to stay a big part of the strategy. We'll get annhiliated again next season without a significant add to the top six.

Skill on the Defense
Which everyone knows already. I think dumping Seidenberg at this point is a must. He's still decent in his own zone, but he lost all of his presence at the opposing blueline. He seemed entirely unable to make anything happen offensively, when even guys like Kevan Miller and Adam McQuaid managed to get shots through traffic once in a while.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Your team never improves in the long term if you trade away your quality picks and prospects to marginally upgrade a mediocre team.

Keeping role players over skill never works.

Chicago kept elite guys while getting rid of great role players and the Bruins kept role and got rid of elite.

Ladd, Byfuglien, Versteeg.
Seguin, Boychuk, Lucic

Mr. Make-Believe

I think without something drastic, we're going to get a bunch of the same old song and dance from the same old players and coach. Sure there may be some new faces around them, but same old. The team that won the cup is 5 years ago is a distant memory in the modern NHL. We don't have anyone that looks ready to make the jump just yet. Nor a solid team around them to ease them in properly.

We have a handful of guys that need to play up to their contract as well.

I don't know if adding while subtracting futures is going to improve us enough to be bothered. We're losing Eriksson, who played his best season as a Bruin last year, as well as Marchand having a career season is an upcoming UFA. Our 7 million dollar center, who isn't even our best center is going into surgery; our top goalie was outplayed by the guy they traded away, and our once Norris winning captain is going to be 40.

Drastic? I don't know, but something big needs to happen for me to believe anything our management has to say. I've seen nothing but confusing steps along the way so far. Trade Lucic for futures? Trade Dougie for futures (yes, I know there's a storyline around it)? Sounds like a rebuild. Trade picks for Lee Stempniak and JM Liles? Keep pending UFA Eriksson without signing him? What? We're going on a run?

Lose 9 of the last 12 games in mostly must-win scenarios? I don't know. I hope Sweeney's keeping his cards close to his chest. But I surely hope he has a plan, and one that he's going to stick to. These wavering moves are confusing, and overall aren't really giving us good footing in either direction.

I know this has been mentioned in the past, but it was never Sweeney's intention to use all of those picks last season. He tried to use a few of them to grab a roster player and was unable to.

Point being, that a full rebuild has never been a part of this management team's plan. They've been consistent in their message.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

Chicago kept elite guys while getting rid of great role players and the Bruins kept role and got rid of elite.

Seguin, Boychuk, Lucic

Fully agreed. They kept Kelly and Seidenberg and lost some major players because of these decisions.

Up to Sweeney what he does not, but anything short of acquiring 2 top 4 defensemen, he's really pinning himself in a corner.

Mr. Make-Believe

Seguin, Boychuk, Lucic

This list is kinda funny when you realize that the Blackhawks have spent assets in bringing back two of those three players.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I know this has been mentioned in the past, but it was never Sweeney's intention to use all of those picks last season. He tried to use a few of them to grab a roster player and was unable to.

Point being, that a full rebuild has never been a part of this management team's plan. They've been consistent in their message.

I'll agree to disagree about being consistent in their message. At least the moves that were finished.

I think this management has no other choice but to try and win, because the next step is the next management team is going to get the rebuild if/when Sweeney's team doesn't reach it's goals.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
This list is kinda funny when you realize that the Blackhawks have spent assets in bringing back two of those three players.

Winning a couple more cups helps a fan base justify it.

I have a feeling many of us would look differently at Chia's moves had we won in 2013 as well. (or at least forgive his sins)

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
If he doesn't re sign with the Islanders, do the Bruins have enough cap space to sign him? He could definitely replace the goals if Loui walks playing with Krejci or Bergeron and is a big body on the RW

I personally would prefer Backes over Okposo. What we are lacking and need to get back on this team is character and identity. Okposo, while a nice player, doesn't do that for me. Plus, his eye injury back last year could be terrifying in the latter years of his career. His numbers are boosted just a tad playing with Tavares as well.

Backes is a guy that's going to bring it every single night. In terms of emotion, physicality, and a big voice in the room, you are going to get it from this player. The Ference/Boychuk/Thornton void in that regard is eye widening, this current team in general has a major leadership problem. We need someone whose going to give this team some personality. Backes is this player.

Beleskey.Krejci.Backes
Marchand.Bergeron.Pastrnak
Vatrano.Spooner.Hayes
(Providence).Acciari.Randell/Ferraro

Mr. Make-Believe

I'll agree to disagree about being consistent in their message. At least the moves that were finished.

I think this management has no other choice but to try and win, because the next step is the next management team is going to get the rebuild if/when Sweeney's team doesn't reach it's goals.

How far away do you think the team is? Too far to be realistic?

I don't think so. But the right moves have to be made; not just a nuke job.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I personally would prefer Backes over Okposo. What we are lacking and need to get back on this team is character and identity. Okposo, while a nice player, doesn't do that for me. Plus, his eye injury back last year could be terrifying in the latter years of his career. His numbers are boosted just a tad playing with Tavares as well.

Backes is a guy that's going to bring it every single night. In terms of emotion, physicality, and a big voice in the room, you are going to get it from this player. The Ference/Boychuk/Thornton void in that regard is eye widening, this current team in general has a major leadership problem. We need someone whose going to give this team some personality. Backes is this player.

Beleskey.Krejci.Backes
Marchand.Bergeron.Pastrnak
Vatrano.Spooner.Hayes
(Providence).Acciari.Randell/Ferraro

I wouldn't be against acquiring Backes... at least depending on the price tag. Wish we could have had him in his prime though.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he doesn't re sign with the Islanders, do the Bruins have enough cap space to sign him? He could definitely replace the goals if Loui walks playing with Krejci or Bergeron and is a big body on the RW

Seems like he wants 7M cap hit for 6-7 years.

Watching these playoff games just reminds me how far we are, and we are going to be farther away when Lou walks for nothing, that's a 1st line talent gone.

2 top3D players while not losing more than Spooner+assets from the lineup could/would make us fight in the East.
Would just have to be buyers at the deadline and bring more offensive depth probably.

Mr. Make-Believe

Winning a couple more cups helps a fan base justify it.

I have a feeling many of us would look differently at Chia's moves had we won in 2013 as well. (or at least forgive his sins)

Oh not crapping on the Hawks at all with my statement. They've done marvelous work. Just thought it was funny, is all.

I don't believe Chiarelli was fired because of his mistakes. I think he was let go because he didn't have a plan for the future. He lacked the courage and vision to fix his mistakes.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

I think this team is at least 3-4 years away from being competitive again, at least with the talent in the pipeline. But I think new core players will need to establish themselves, and we'll have moved on with them.

I don't think the team needs a nuke job. But serious questions around key players need to be made. Marchand. Career year, keep him as a core? Or move him while he's a hot commodity? Do we ride into the sunset with Bergeron/Krejci as our 1-2 combo for 5 more years? Is Tuukka the absolute long term solution?

Chara, unfortunately, has already established he's not the player he once was, and the defensive skill gap is pretty low under him.

And the biggest question, CAN we put a strong enough team around these players.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Oh not crapping on the Hawks at all with my statement. They've done marvelous work. Just thought it was funny, is all.

I don't believe Chiarelli was fired because of his mistakes. I think he was let go because he didn't have a plan for the future. He lacked the courage and vision to fix his mistakes.

Fully agree here. I think the cup was his future, and when he got there, he didn't know how (or have a plan) to stay on top of the mountain.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
They need to not do the same things as before but they are.

Until I see different I will not believe they are changing.

Yes Chicago brought back players they had, but as pieces to take them over the top.

If the Bruins were great I would give up a late first for help to win the Cup, but the Bruins don't have a direction at all.

What is the direction, mid pack trying to make the post season to make a few extra beer and peanut dollars or to be elite and win?

Thank God they aren't in the playoffs, if they were they behind fold like a lawn chair.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A lot of people like to mention the low success rates of draft choices whenever the discussion regards there being traded away.

However the very reason that the success rate is so low is what makes them so valuable. Every extra pick you have in a given round doubles your chances of finding an NHLer.

They are an incredibly important asset in the NHL, particularly now.

Any success in the draft that leads to an entry level contract on your roster is gold. Gold in the player himself and gold in the cheap contract he provides, it's how you get to be a player with the big boys when it comes to re-upping your own players or hammering the free agent market.

The current Bruin situation is a direct result of poor drafting. Woe to the team that trades draft picks frivolously.

you are right... but when a team wants a 3rd round pick they aren't that difficult to get. theres always a few teams willing to move up or down in the mid rounds... they throw picks into these trades without much reguard.

every year theres 6-7-8 of these picks traded. teams are willing to give up a 3rd for a 4th and a 5th or whatever... some career ahl guy...

teams just aren't very committed to prospects ranked in the 3rd round usually. they will trade up if a guy drops... but normally most teams have very little belief the 60th ranked guy on their list has much chance of playing

if another team is offering a proven nhl asset for a 3rd round pick, its very common for most teams to take that deal. almost all teams have traded 3rd round picks for 4th liners or 3rd pair dmen before. its quite a common trade that most teams will agree to

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I wouldn't be against acquiring Backes... at least depending on the price tag. Wish we could have had him in his prime though.

I loved the idea of getting backes if we were still a contender. since we aren't, this would be a mistake move. better to hold our gunpowder dry and sign someone like this in 2-3 years time. we will eventually need a guy like this but theres almost no need for such a guy when we are rebuilding

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

A question I've been asking myself? How drastic do the roster additions/subtractions need to be to take a jump next season?

Another: Would the Bs have sufficient cap space to make those moves?

in my opinion the worst thing is get stuck between 16th and 24th the next couple years... and it wouldn't take very much addition to keep us there. rask is a very good goalie. Bergeron is a stud of a leader.

if we keep these 2 guys its going to be really hard to finish with a top 6-8 pick. any significant improvements would really hamper the rebuild efffort

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
They need to not do the same things as before but they are.

Until I see different I will not believe they are changing.

Yes Chicago brought back players they had, but as pieces to take them over the top.

If the Bruins were great I would give up a late first for help to win the Cup, but the Bruins don't have a direction at all.

What is the direction, mid pack trying to make the post season to make a few extra beer and peanut dollars or to be elite and win?

Thank God they aren't in the playoffs, if they were they behind fold like a lawn chair.

at the same time the bruins were in the finals 2 of the last 6 years right? so this isn't exactly ancient history when the team was fighting to go deep in the playoffs. we got to the finals the same number of times as los angles. just 1 less than Chicago.

I think its a bit weird how the fans here are acting like our franchise is a total disaster and that they've been screwed over and abused to cheer this franchise the last decade.

its been a very good time to be a bruin fan

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
Fully agree here. I think the cup was his future, and when he got there, he didn't know how (or have a plan) to stay on top of the mountain.

To be honest Chiarelli got fired because he lost a power struggle with Neely, not so much for cause. Even Jerry Jacobs basically said I think Peter a great person and an excellent hockey mind, cam and Charlie believed we needed a change.

You don't fire a gm who took over a terrible team, a shrunken fan base and a zillion fans disguised as empty yellow seats, that then goes onto the playoffs what 7 times in a row, won a cup, got to another, saw TV ratings ticket sales and general popularity hit levels not since since Orr era......because he misses playoffs by 1 point with krejci and chara missing huge chunks of season and Ottawa going on a historic run.

Chia made mistakes, far from perfect at the end, but he was more forced out by the fact that even Jacobs could see while he might like both cam and Peter they could no longer work effectively together. He chose Neely over chia. After a year it look like he is choosing Sweeney over Neely.

As for next year, I like demers for sure, also like yandle if that doesn't pan out. Up front I think backes real good fit. Also all the haters can start to whine now but I at least place a call to lucic agent, see if there is any mutual interest at reasonable cost. He was never the dog cynics say, he was like most power forward, dependent on good center play. They missed him and his attitude badly this year . What a coup it would be to get all those assets for lucic ....and then resign him. Seems to want to play on west coast but an inquiry to make sure he isn't homesick for Boston is well worth it.

Last edited:

CDonns

Nov 28, 2015
MA
I don't think this is really realistic, but here it goes. If we could acquire a young potential top pairing defenseman without trading Krejci, I would target Trouba or move up in the draft. Then we could trade Krejci to Minnesota for Coyle and Pominville (1.1 mil retained).

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I don't think this is really realistic, but here it goes. If we could acquire a young potential top pairing defenseman without trading Krejci, I would target Trouba or move up in the draft. Then we could trade Krejci to Minnesota for Coyle and Pominville (1.1 mil retained).
Agree with the first part. Trouba would be fantastic. Also like other RS Defencemen such as Matt Dumba and Kevin Shattenkirk. Any one of them can step in and significantly upgrade our D for years to come as we bring along C. Miller, Joe Morrow, Rob O'Gara, Zboril, Lauzon and Carlo. It would be expensive to acquire any one of the three, but two things this team has to offer is draft picks and prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad