Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose to Pens

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Not sure if this has been posted, from the Globe:

NOTES: Boston center David Krejci left the game with 5:14 remaining after taking a slap shot off his right knee but Julien said he didn’t think it was serious.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
Chia fired? What are you smoking? PC is the best Bruins GM since Milt Schmidt.

PC is better than Schmidt. Granted PC's made some bad deals andMilt make the great deal with the Hawks but aside from that Milt wasn't that great. Didnd't draft Park, trade MacLeish, traded Leach, etc.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Understand your point, but very clear to me that this is not a SC competing team a-t t-h-i-s t-i-m-e.

No argument there.

My post was on the extreme scenarios painted when I looked to see how today went.

In regard to SC. I think to have a strong shot. (Since that's all one can realistically hope for) is resolve third line issue, add D depth, hope like hell Tuukka is the real deal. That's me.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If Boychuk is a top 4 D-man, my name is Cinderella... Hamilton might develop into a top 4 if not higher D-man but Boychuk?

Sure, I'll call you Cindy, but I think negative Nancy is more fitting.

I'm always looking for whipping boys, but you barely seem to find anything positive about most of the player on this team. Boychuck not a top 4 Dman? That's ludicrious.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Sure, I'll call you Cindy, but I think negative Nancy is more fitting.

I'm always looking for whipping boys, but you barely seem to find anything positive about most of the player on this team. Boychuck not a top 4 Dman? That's ludicrious.

Yea i would give Boychuck a 4 d man ranking.But he needs to start getting that big shot his off more and pot few more pucks or least get them on net more for rebound chances.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
While there is always room for improvement, I'm not too sure what options there are for Chia to upgrade. Don Cherry mentioned this last night, so many teams are bunched and only a few that are ready throw in the towel (sabres, islanders come to mind) but with the limited supply it becomes a seller's market.
If there is a way to help the third line, I'm sure Chia will find a way.
A break or two during the game today would have changed the complexion of this thread methinks.

Actually, Isles are tied with Rangers right now. Only a point out of a playoff spot. So I guess we can't get Tavares for Paille, Tardiff and a pick.

ROCKZO

Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!
Oct 28, 2006
San Diego
:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap: The G M needs to open his eyes up and fix it soon.No crying the blues this trade deadline,Do your G **darn job and get this team in contention.Not like they need to find a 50 goal guy,A lousy few 3rd line guys or one and a d man.

Flyers fan here ... I come in peace !

Saw the game this afternoon and I think that beyond third line 'plumbers' this team needs clutch guys, If the Boston Cup run taught us anything, is that guys like Ryder and Recchi, the 'unexpected' scorers can make all the difference in the world.

It seems that this year the top line, D and goaltending is keeping it together but 'clutch' plugs could make all the difference.

Just my 2 Cents

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Saw the game this afternoon and I think that beyond third line 'plumbers' this team needs clutch guys, If the Boston Cup run taught us anything, is that guys like Ryder and Recchi, the 'unexpected' scorers can make all the difference in the world.

It seems that this year the top line, D and goaltending is keeping it together but 'clutch' plugs could make all the difference.

Just my 2 Cents

Cannot argue with you.Hoping this Soderberg kid is not just hype and shows up and helps and that Bruins can add another player or two that can help.Chiarelli has to work hard and make a deal happen.It was clear today they need help.Its not a coinsidence that Penguins beat them short a star twice in a week.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

Just my 2 Cents

I llike posts like these.

Recchi was a bigger loss for this team than most people want to admit. Why I'd welcome a move for a skilled vet.

ROCKZO

Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!
Oct 28, 2006
San Diego
I llike posts like these.

Recchi was a bigger loss for this team than most people want to admit. Why I'd welcome a move for a skilled vet.

The trick is to do it by giving up guys you can afford to give up. Blake Wheeler ... was it a risky move ? SURE ! Trade for Kaberle's 11 playoff points ? SURE ! It takes a lot of balls and a healthy dose of luck.

At the end of the day, Bruins brass is far from stupid and they know the winning formula, let's hope the right ingredients are available and ripe for pick up, as it stands I don't think any contending team in either conference is fully geared up for a playoff run.

Well ... aside from the Hawks maybe ...

NastyNate17

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Sam Houston
I dont understand why we cant afford to move Paille to the third line and add another 20 goal scorer to this team, bump pandolfo down to the 4th line if he's going to be in the lineup otherwise put Macdermid in there on the 4th but Paille is good enough to round out that third line with Peverley + x player by the deadline and we would be in great shape IMO

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The trick is to do it by giving up guys you can afford to give up. Blake Wheeler ... was it a risky move ? SURE ! Trade for Kaberle's 11 playoff points ? SURE ! It takes a lot of balls and a healthy dose of luck.

At the end of the day, Bruins brass is far from stupid and they know the winning formula, let's hope the right ingredients are available and ripe for pick up, as it stands I don't think any contending team in either conference is fully geared up for a playoff run.

Well ... aside from the Hawks maybe ...

:handclap: Thats why he had better make it happen.Its clear they need something.Heck i be happy to get Ray Whitney on third line about now ,lol

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I dont understand why we cant afford to move Paille to the third line and add another 20 goal scorer to this team, bump pandolfo down to the 4th line if he's going to be in the lineup otherwise put Macdermid in there on the 4th but Paille is good enough to round out that third line with Peverley + x player by the deadline and we would be in great shape IMO

Kelly will be back for playoffs.Wait and see.Least at some point.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
In which case you just slot Paille back in the 4th...my question is why don't we send prospect/ pick for a reasonable scoring threat that this 3rd line is lacking

Most likely because any reasonable scoring threat worth having will likely cost more than a prospect and/or a pick.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
The Bruins need to reinforce what they do best versus trying to become something they are not.

Personally the notion of acquiring rentals such as Iginila etc.. concerns me greatly.

If they are going to move assets such as Koko, Knight, Spooner, or number 1 picks, then the focus should be a top 4 defenceman with composure and passing ability who will remain with the team going forward.

In a cap league, serviceable, or better, players on ELCs are simply too valuable to ever consider moving prime assets for rentals.

Current injuries aside, Bostons biggest problem is teams with speed who forecheck aggressively and use their D to break up their reverse breakouts.

Facing such teams Boston needs a fast D-man who can get back on dump-ins and has the ability to make the crucial first pass to send the offense away.

They will not be able to trade or bring up from the minors enough firepower to stay up with the real offensive teams in the league.

They can however, do what they do best, win face offs, control possession, kill penalties and wear down opposing defenses.

Offensive improvement has to come from within, and that means motivating Lucic and Horton to play as required.

I don't know the dynamics of the Bruins locker room but the coach and GM have got to find a way to get those two playing in the proper manner or its not going to matter what else they try to do.

A short season, Lucic with a new child (everyone should know that means a severe loss of proper sleep), Hortons' concussions, there are excuses perhaps but they have got to play at a different level.

The focus should be minimal investment on depth/role players, or, if appreciable assets are to be spent, a TOP defenceman should be the target.

They were the best 5 on 5 team in the league not so long ago, and could be again, but the defence is the key.

IMHO.

I agree so much with this post.

I finally watched the game on the DVR on mute so fortunately I did not have to listen to air horns, glass bangers, or inane commentary. Saw a bit too much of Sidney on the bench, but hey, he's the hockey poster boy.

The Penguins (and Montreal also) lay such a heavy two man forecheck on our D men. They've always done this. Then we take so long to get the puck out to the forwards (multiple D to D passes, which occasionally get broken up) that our forwards are now pressured and end up dumping the puck out instead of skating it out. Now they've lost possession. There was improvement as the game went on and the B's began forechecking after the dump in, and surprise, surprise, the Pens would cough up the puck more often and allow us a few chances on net. But there wasn't much early in the game and the Pens scored twice in that period.

Our guys with the exception of Bergy's line, look slow compared to the speedy Pens and Habs. That's where the physical play of Looch and Horton is required. If they can't skate with them, they need to make them pay the price every puck possession, like in the Caps game. Then the other team makes a bad play to avoid being hit. Intimidate, then take advantage of mistakes.

That's how we beat the speedy Nucks.

ROCKZO

Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!
Oct 28, 2006
San Diego

I think the main thought process behind Julien's lineup is trying to level out his offense across 4 lines. The problem is the way his lines react to high octane offenses. Can the bottom trios hold the fort for the top 6 ? Rich Peverley is -9, Greg Campbell -3, give the bottom 2 lines a bit of offensive zest and this team is a signed and sealed contender.

Some people may disagree with me but I think Justin Florek deserves an audition on this team :D

ROCKZO

Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!
Oct 28, 2006
San Diego
:handclap: Thats why he had better make it happen.Its clear they need something.Heck i be happy to get Ray Whitney on third line about now ,lol

Call me crazy but with Buffalo headed for a rebuild, I can see ( Along with a whole bunch of other teams ) Drew Stafford and Ville Leino on this team. Both having craptastic years, both proven clutch guys who would fit in dramatically IMHO.

It would probably never happen but just a thought ...

NastyNate17

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Sam Houston
Most likely because any reasonable scoring threat worth having will likely cost more than a prospect and/or a pick.

Not necessarily, we got Chris Kelly for a 2nd...if we add another player of his caliber itd make a world of difference, especially if he will be back for the playoffs

NastyNate17

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Sam Houston
Call me crazy but with Buffalo headed for a rebuild, I can see ( Along with a whole bunch of other teams ) Drew Stafford and Ville Leino on this team. Both having craptastic years, both proven clutch guys who would fit in dramatically IMHO.

It would probably never happen but just a thought ...

I'd love to see Drew Stafford on this team but I don't see Buffalo doing us any favors unless we vastly over pay

ROCKZO

Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!
Oct 28, 2006
San Diego
I agree so much with this post.

I finally watched the game on the DVR on mute so fortunately I did not have to listen to air horns, glass bangers, or inane commentary. Saw a bit too much of Sidney on the bench, but hey, he's the hockey poster boy.

The Penguins (and Montreal also) lay such a heavy two man forecheck on our D men. They've always done this. Then we take so long to get the puck out to the forwards (multiple D to D passes, which occasionally get broken up) that our forwards are now pressured and end up dumping the puck out instead of skating it out. Now they've lost possession. There was improvement as the game went on and the B's began forechecking after the dump in, and surprise, surprise, the Pens would cough up the puck more often and allow us a few chances on net. But there wasn't much early in the game and the Pens scored twice in that period.

Our guys with the exception of Bergy's line, look slow compared to the speedy Pens and Habs. That's where the physical play of Looch and Horton is required. If they can't skate with them, they need to make them pay the price every puck possession, like in the Caps game. Then the other team makes a bad play to avoid being hit. Intimidate, then take advantage of mistakes.

That's how we beat the speedy Nucks.

Despite what a lot of you think, I think the Bruins beat Montreal and Vancouver that year because they were the team with more skill and speed AND SUPERIOR goaltending, everybody keeps playing the hitting angle but that cup win had everything to do with superior on ice balance ...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00