Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose to Pens

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Thought this was the second time this season that we got 2 points we weren't full value for. Boston owned the territorial advantage in the last 40 minutes, and while you didn't have too many major goal scoring chances, it was all about getting a break or two on those numerous point shots.... or Seguin's across the goal line wrap around etc.

Hope Krejci will be OK, and hope to have a full lineup when the Pens come into Boston for the final pre-playoffs game against you this season. Gotta believe there will finally be a Boston-Pens series this Summer, because to my mind these are clearly the best two rosters in the East, even if both teams can top up some at the deadline.

yup. I think these 2 teams are on a collision course in the spring. Gutsy game by your d-corps today with Letang out. Thought the B's would exploit that as we moved further into the 3rd but you had us penned in our end for large stretches.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
So, even with their current roster, what teams in the East can't the Bruins compete with?

I think we have benefitted from the less busy schedule in Feb and that March will bring us down to Earth. I think we've been playing over our heads in several respects. I think once the MBS line hits a rough patch, and it will, this will become apparent. And even if it doesn't, a one line team is too easy to defend these days.

We can compete; hell any team in this league can compete; but we're not built to win it all at this point. I think we'll be lucky to go .500 this month.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
when is the last time a shot actually broke someone's leg? I am sure Krejci is hurting but it seems unlikely that it's anything like Kelly's injury.

Chuck Kobasew broke his leg late in the 2008 season and missed the rest of the year and the playoffs after getting in front of a Chara shot. Joffrey Lupul broke his arm early on this season when a Phaneuf slap shot hit him.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Chuck Kobasew broke his leg late in the 2008 season and missed the rest of the year and the playoffs after getting in front of a Chara shot. Joffrey Lupul broke his arm early on this season when a Phaneuf slap shot hit him.

This is what I'm worried a/b, why I'm not breathing until we hear a/b negative xrays and MRI's.

When you see a hockey player covering his face, you know that's some white hot pain.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
I simply don't enjoy playing the Pens. I can't seem to achieve that objective perspective some other fans have whereby they can enjoy watching Crosby. I get no joy out of watching him swoop around in our zone, none. I get no joy out of listening to commentators go on and on about how wonderful a player he is, how hard a worker he is, how he's always improving himself, and so on. None. I'm way too much of a blindered homer. I cannot wait until his shift ends so that he can stop threatening to score and so Emrick (or Edwards these days) can stop drooling over him for a bit.

My "objectivity" towards the Pens extends as far as occasionally appreciating a nice, preferably harmless, Letang breakout pass -- that graceful way he has of leaning into it while his hair flows in the opposite direction-- ...I say to that: yeah, ok, full kudos for the style.

But the rest of those birds...no time for them.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Chara broke Callahan's leg with a slapshot in 2011.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Your team limited the Pens to 18 shots and took 32. It couldn't have been as bad many are saying... I sincerely hope Krejci is ok.

you know thats because the pens pulled a Bruin and just sat back after the second goal, right??

When they wanna bring it, we cannot contain them.
shots do not indicate the game.
Both teams have played alot lately and the Pens were probably tired and just sat back after the first.

What makes it worse is how we dont have the firepower to get one goal or sustained attack on their defense after the first.

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
This team just doesn't match up well against Pitt for whatever reason.

Because Lucic is a third liner acting like a first liner. Looks awesome against weak teams, disappears against the better ones. Sodderberg on second line Lucic on third. Not much to lose in trying something different.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Because Lucic is a third liner acting like a first liner. Looks awesome against weak teams, disappears against the better ones. Sodderberg on second line Lucic on third. Not much to lose in trying something different.

6per is a boatload of money for a 3rd liner...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I might be in the minority here, but I'm not that disappointed with the Bruin's overall effort in today's game.

They held Pittsburgh in check offensively for most of the game, and they were able to generate a more consistent attack this time around. I think the shots on goal were indicative of that fact. That being said, there were some aspects of the game that are once again troubling, and seem to be trends, especially against good competition.

The third and fourth lines looked completely over-matched today. I believe the Merlot line was on the ice when Pitt was able to score that second goal late in the period. When they play against teams with more depth, their lack of speed and skill are exposed, especially guys like Thornton, Campbell, Pandolfo, and even Caron.

The first two lines had a better showing today than they did last time, more zone time for sure, but the quality scoring chances still aren't there enough, and the ability to finish is still an issue. Seguin came free in the slot at one point today, and instead of shooting he passed it to Bergeron who had less of a shooting angle. When they have the chance to shoot, they need to be aggressive and bury the opportunity.

If Krejci is out for the playoffs, this season takes on a different shape. I'm going to try not to panic until we know something for sure, but Chia would really have to pull something out of his behind to keep me feeling good about this team's chances going forward.

I'm not sure why Boychuck put that puck high like he did. There really is no reason for him to be shooting it there. If he put that puck about a foot along the ice on the short side, that is probably a goal and Krejci is fine, but...

The Penguins are a slightly better team than the Bruins are right now, not by a lot, but the Bruins have something to shoot for.

I thought the effort was there, I`ve tried to summon my sense of reality that no team can bring "it" every night/day. Wish our boys could play more like they did against the Caps on Saturday but it`s easy to forget that there`s always an opponent, and that opponents game plan/system will always play a role too in how our boys play. If Seguin`s wrap around goes in, I`ll wager were not having half the panic on these boards as there is.

EVERY team has injuries, has anyone seen or heard of a trade being consummated of any significance this season with all these injuries?? Tells me that there aren`t, as of right now, any deals out there. The Sens lost arguably the best offensive defenseman, and their unidisputed #1 centerman and Murray has remained with his game plan, but that doesn`t matter for Bruin fans, the moment there`s imperfection or bumps along the road of a season, those "fans" bail, and demand a trade, evoke their right to panic, then there will be the other side if and when Chia makes a deal, you know the one`s, they are the "fans" that will state he picked up, yet again, another scrub meanwhile team A,B or C has done __________.

Ya think every big trade makes a difference??? Have a peek at the Blue Jackets, yes, outside the playoff picture, but have exactly the same amount of pts as the Rangers who landed the big fish over the summer, and truth is, the Jackets have played in a ton of 1 goal games that with some luck, they`d be in a playoff spot. Big name trades guarantee jack, careful what you wish for. If our GM made his moves based on emotion rather than reason or logic, these boards would be in an even more widespread panic

Jeff077

Aug 2, 2005
Perth, Ontario
I thought the effort was there, I`ve tried to summon my sense of reality that no team can bring "it" every night/day. Wish our boys could play more like they did against the Caps on Saturday but it`s easy to forget that there`s always an opponent, and that opponents game plan/system will always play a role too in how our boys play. If Seguin`s wrap around goes in, I`ll wager were not having half the panic on these boards as there is.

EVERY team has injuries, has anyone seen or heard of a trade being consummated of any significance this season with all these injuries?? Tells me that there aren`t, as of right now, any deals out there. The Sens lost arguably the best offensive defenseman, and their unidisputed #1 centerman and Murray has remained with his game plan, but that doesn`t matter for Bruin fans, the moment there`s imperfection or bumps along the road of a season, those "fans" bail, and demand a trade, evoke their right to panic, then there will be the other side if and when Chia makes a deal, you know the one`s, they are the "fans" that will state he picked up, yet again, another scrub meanwhile team A,B or C has done __________.

Ya think every big trade makes a difference??? Have a peek at the Blue Jackets, yes, outside the playoff picture, but have exactly the same amount of pts as the Rangers who landed the big fish over the summer, and truth is, the Jackets have played in a ton of 1 goal games that with some luck, they`d be in a playoff spot. Big name trades guarantee jack, careful what you wish for. If our GM made his moves based on emotion rather than reason or logic, these boards would be in an even more widespread panic

I agree, no need to panic. I cannot see Chia just making a trade a fill a hole at this point and over paying, that is not his MO.
I know he is "safe" for Julien but I really wish they would just leave Pandolfo as the 13th forward. I am not letting some to the higher paid players off the hook but he brings very little to no value right now, I know he can PK but he is so slow, leaves that line with no offence.
If they feel Spooner is not ready, why not give a guy like Sauve a shot? Add a speed element to that line with Peverly and Caron and see what happens. I know Sauve can never stay healthy but he is right now, has scored 3 goals in his last 4 games, what is worse thing that can happen, he does not play well and you send him back or he plays well showcases himself or maybe takes the spot of a Caron or something.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Just finished watching the game.

They're just better than us.....right now. Lot of hockey yet to be played. We're about 7 W's away from a playoff spot and then, it's whoever's goalie and team are hot, healthy, and firing on all cylinders.

Sure hope 46 is ok.

Time to set our alarm clocks as we head on into the Peg! Go B's!!

Agreed completely. They're a little better than us right now, but that fact is being badly overvalued. They are literally clicking perfectly, and that type of success is fleeting in this league. They are excellent and will likely continue to be, but they're not this good. Conversely, we are typically more buttoned-up in our own end and getting more from a third line.

Come playoff time I'll take the team with better goaltending, more physical players and a better defensive system. I think that'll be Boston.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Agreed completely. They're a little better than us right now, but that fact is being badly overvalued. They are literally clicking perfectly, and that type of success is fleeting in this league. They are excellent and will likely continue to be, but they're not this good. Conversely, we are typically more buttoned-up in our own end and getting more from a third line.

Similar to when the Bruins were clicking in Nov/Dec 2011. Look where that got us come the playoffs.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Just finished watching the game.

They're just better than us.....right now. Lot of hockey yet to be played. We're about 7 W's away from a playoff spot and then, it's whoever's goalie and team are hot, healthy, and firing on all cylinders.

Sure hope 46 is ok.

Time to set our alarm clocks as we head on into the Peg! Go B's!!

Yes we have more to give but are we forgetting about Malkin ? plus they have the cap room to add iggy .. I know I'm worried if we meet them in the playoffs

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yes we have more to give but are we forgetting about Malkin ? plus they have the cap room to add iggy .. I know I'm worried if we meet them in the playoffs

They would be a tough series for sure, but far from unbeatable, if I were a Pens fan, do I feel 100% comfortable with Fleury in the heat of playoff battle with the way he`s played in the last few postseasons?? Every goalie lets in softies, great goalies forget about them immediately (our boy Timmy was great at this), with Fleury, he seems to fight that part.

In spite of not scoring over the recent two game series, I`m not close to being sold on that D in Pitt, and no way anyone is selling me that they are comfortable Pens fans with him between the pipes(Fleury)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
the Pens have the potential to be scary good, but then so do we. Not to make excuses, but we ran into them during a time where we're playing just average hockey and had to face them in their barn both times on the 2nd half of a back-to-back. This game was so tightly contested that it's not unreasonable to think it might have gone the other way in Boston or with a day off preceding it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
the Pens have the potential to be scary good, but then so do we. Not to make excuses, but we ran into them during a time where we're playing just average hockey and had to face them in their barn both times on the 2nd half of a back-to-back. This game was so tightly contested that it's not unreasonable to think it might have gone the other way in Boston or with a day off preceding it.

Yep, I look at that Bruin team that played the Caps saturday (yes I know it`s the Caps:)) I`ll argue, if that were the Pens and they played like that, it`d be the Pens reeling and chasing, Malkin or not, not our Bruins.

Biggest key to the playoffs is health, talent be darned, it`ll only take a team so far, if they don`t have the horses for depth, your done, Bruins or otherwise.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
They would be a tough series for sure, but far from unbeatable, if I were a Pens fan, do I feel 100% comfortable with Fleury in the heat of playoff battle with the way he`s played in the last few postseasons?? Every goalie lets in softies, great goalies forget about them immediately (our boy Timmy was great at this), with Fleury, he seems to fight that part.

In spite of not scoring over the recent two game series, I`m not close to being sold on that D in Pitt, and no way anyone is selling me that they are comfortable Pens fans with him between the pipes(Fleury)

I hear ya dude ... I'm thinking they could say the same about us .. our D is slow if you play them aggressive enough ... too many passes behind the net then moving it forward and quick teams expose this ;)

I believe in this guy Tuukka but they could be thinking he's basically a rookie goalie in the playoffs ... I know he played the Flyers 1 year but that's not a good example for him

Yes we can beat them .. not saying we can't ... every team can be beat :)

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Yep, I look at that Bruin team that played the Caps saturday (yes I know it`s the Caps:)) I`ll argue, if that were the Pens and they played like that, it`d be the Pens reeling and chasing, Malkin or not, not our Bruins.

Biggest key to the playoffs is health, talent be darned, it`ll only take a team so far, if they don`t have the horses for depth, your done, Bruins or otherwise.

As usual, a nicely balanced response.

I am amazed at most of the reactions to that loss to Pitt. Lucic is a poser; they are clearly better than us?

It's one game, and we carried the play. I feel like i'm reading the TML board, based on the aforementioned over-reactions.

We are "right there" with Pitt as an elite Eastern Conference team. Remain calm.

Last edited:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
As usual, I nicely balanced response.

I am amazed at most of the reactions to that loss to Pitt. Lucic is a poser; they are clearly better than us?

It's one game, and we carried the play. I feel like i'm reading the TML board, based on the aforementioned over-reactions.

We are "right there" with Pitt as an elite Eastern Conference team. Remain calm.

:nod:

Don't forget "Tuukka sucks".

Pens are a very good team, playing incredible hockey right now. B's are a very good team who played well enough to win but didn't. Crap happens.

insomniac34

Mar 31, 2010
I'm sure you don't really want to here from a Pens fan, so I'll keep it short. I'm not the biggest Krejci fan, but I'm really glad that he's going to be OK. I know how ****** it can be to lose your best players for an extended period of time, and I want your team to be at full strength when we meet in Boston.

Good luck, until we meet again of course.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
I'm sure you don't really want to here from a Pens fan, so I'll keep it short. I'm not the biggest Krejci fan, but I'm really glad that he's going to be OK. I know how ****** it can be to lose your best players for an extended period of time, and I want your team to be at full strength when we meet in Boston.

Good luck, until we meet again of course.

Classy fans like you are always welcome here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad